Photo
- - - - -

Selegiline study showing toxicity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

I will link you to the thread at the AvantLabs forum, to minimize my present effort in presenting this information to you.

http://forum.avantla...showtopic=16403

Here is my post, quoted:

Well, it is shown that selegiline in combination with high dose levodopa can be detrimental, apparently caused by the addition of selegiline to the high dose levodopa treatment and worse than what would have occurred just with high dose levodopa. So yes, there is some evidence of "selegiline" toxicity out there. It depends on the context however. I think most information shows the substance at low doses is neuro-protecting more than it is neurotoxic. I will look up the article but I am already betting it won't provide any information that's particularly useful or influential to anyone out there considering taking selegiline for life extension (very low dose) or immediate therapeutic effect (low to moderate).

PS: Stellar, slow down and give us working links next time. Might I suggest a dopaminergenic compound to assist with that? Or maybe it's toxic. ;) (this is truly jest, I appreciate the post).

Here are working URL's for the Pubmed abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=15264013

Or if that's too long for you to use:

http://tinyurl.com/4jdk7

Here's the full, free text article, from our Brazilian friends:

http://www.scielo.br...&lng=en&nrm=iso

And shorter:

http://tinyurl.com/4c3tf

#2 power.bulls.x

• 115 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

i think tox is when it triger the IMAO-B effect when dosing >4mg

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 johnmk

• Topic Starter
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

Would the required liquid, taken sublingually, dose be 1/10th or so of that 4mg figure to achieve MAOI-B?

#4 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:11 AM

I'm not concern. Deprenyl in studies at commonly used doses is not toxic. But high doses with L-DOPA can pose a problem in those with neurodegenerative disorders via an indirect action.

L-DOPA on the other hand ''But there is accumulating evidence that this long-term side effect of chronic levodopa administration dose dependently individually contributes to progression of neurodegeneration due to increased release of neurotoxins, induction of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction according to results of in vitro and animal trials and to at least peripheral neuronal degeneration and increased risk for onset of atherosclerosis-related disorders according to clinical trials in PD patients. '(1).

(1)J Neurol. 2004 Sep;251 Suppl 6:VI/44-6. Is levodopa toxic?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 johnmk

• Topic Starter
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

I agree. LifeMirage, I would truly value your opinion on my therapeutic use of dextroamphetamine. I generally take 20mg/day (10mg at 8 AM, 10mg at noon), with one off day per week. It helps me significantly. My handwriting improves (much more legible, fewer mistakes), I have the desire to sit down and accomplish things, or stand up as the case may be. I speak to people and am more patient and coherent, less scatterbrained so to speak, or absent minded. I have no idea what caused this in me, maybe I fell down a lot as a child and bonked my head (in fact, this is true). I also once as a child had a seizure (I was too young and do not recall this event). I may have been malnourished, I was breast fed for a very short while (I think a week) and then on formula thereafter. I am capable of utilizing my intelligence while I am taking dextroamphetamine. Without dextroamphetamine, my brain is way too disorganized.

I would love to hear that dextroamphetamine can be made almost 99% non-toxic if I were to take it concurrently with other substances. But I'd rather hear the truth.

As well, is there anything else out there which in your opinion is markedly less potentially neurotoxic, but as effective at increasing cerebral cortex (I'm not sure if basal ganglia dopamine levels really matter for example) dopamine and norepinephrine levels? More pertinent, is there something that would mimic such an effect without necessarily doing so?

Thank you so much. If you do not have time to answer my specific question I understand.

-John

Edited by johnmk, 21 April 2005 - 10:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users