Photo
- - - - -

How to increase my IQ by 14 points?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

I got my IQ tested using the Stanford Binet Intelligent scales and I got 118. I can't really complain since it is a "superior" score that is on the verge of being a "very superior" score although the psychologist who tested me said I have much more "hidden" ability since I am able to solve problems very well it's just that I took longer to solve some of them and also I suck at doing mental calculations(dependent on the calculator for even the most basic calculations, I haven't even learned all of the times tables yet and I'm doing calculus in school lol).

How can I increase the speed at which I solve problems? Is there any nootropics or anything that I can do to so I can bring out my full intellignce? I want to get into mensa and the minimum score to get in is 132 for the stanford Binet test.

Edited by The Immortalist, 26 October 2012 - 11:32 PM.

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

I see this as an opportunity to do one of two things:

1. Become a 70Kg lab rat for a few different nootropics COMBINED with education and puzzles to improve your knowledge and problem solving abilities, followed by further IQ tests.

2. Learning to love who you are and maximising your innate/existing skillset.

Both excellent options. They aren't mutually exclusive, either. :)

Either way, I wouldn't base your existence, even in the short-term, on joining Mensa. My experience was that (at least for my location) it was populated by anti-social introverts and wanna-be elitists. Consequently, I declined my invitation. <chuckle>

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jayfoxpox

• 67 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

maybe for the math calculations u can learn mental math shortcuts.

#4 Kahnetic

• 38 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

Practice, practice, practice. Simply play a variety of puzzle and maths games daily. Teach yourself to do the basic calculations that you rely on a calculator for. The internet is full of such games available for free.

Like you, I had neglected teaching myself a lot of basic mental calculations in my youth and as a result have been very mathphobic most of my life. You just have to sit down and start teaching yourself the stuff you day dreamed through in primary school. This is great for teaching yourself your times tables, http://www.mathsisfu...r-multiply.html
This book was also very helpful, http://www.amazon.co...short cut maths

#5 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Practice makes perfect. Some key areas that may increase fluid intelligence include digit span training (for free here: http://www.nacdtheproject.com/test.php ) and dual n-back (for free here: http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/ ) - both of these train your working memory (how much information you can keep in your head [and manipulate] at the same time) and benefit from learning "chunking" (described here: http://en.wikipedia....ng_(psychology) and here: ).

Mindfulness/meditation practice are both beneficial in training yourself to be focused and relaxed at the same time, they can also bring about major benefits in life in general.

There are many forms of meditation, and they aim at and improve different aspects. I think for intelligence boosting, vipassana with noting, and image streaming are beneficial (this assessment not based on science, just my own reasoning, as both techniques practice your relaxation, concentration and awareness skills).

#6 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Brainwave Entrainment. Google Neuro-Programmer 3.

Nootropics may help as well. Something as subtle as Piracetam, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and fish oil should work.

Diet, exercise, sleep, blah blah blah..

#7 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

118 is a good score. Go take some non-verbal reasoning tests if you want to affirm what your test administrator suggested about your ability to solve problems. There are a select few good ones on-line that are standardized.

Take up a significant reading and writing habit. However, the key is that the reading has to get progressively harder (undergrad level>grad level>etc..) over time. If there is material out there that is over your head, no matter what it is (science, philosophy, etc.) work up to mastering it (reading) to the point where you can build new models using the rules that the material presents, when applicable. Being able to construct valid and novel models (problem solving), on the fly, is a sign of the intelligence that your psychiatrist thinks is latent in you. If you can, get a graduate degree in the sciences if you don't have one. Yes, that means starting with an undergrad degree in the sciences, usually. This will train your mind and help to refine, first, a work ethic for learning, and second, every undeveloped ounce of intelligence. If you aren't an experienced writer, your writing sucks. Trust me. Writing alone won't improve your IQ, but it is a good practice that assists you in organizing and presenting complex logic, and therefore helps your thought processes and therefore your overall process towards developing intelligence. Be sure to keep your writing, as you will be able to look back after only a few years of this process and affirm what a retard you before were :). I would suggest that taking non-verbal reasoning tests helps, but in reality I think that repetitive testing just incurs a retest effect. They are only for occasional measurement.

These activities will have an effect on your ability to solve problems, over time. The key is to never assume that you have reached your potential for knowledge, or a zenith of conclusive reason in any subject matter. Always assume that the only thing that you know is that you don't know. This will keep you from hitting intellectual dead-ends that are constructed only by your ego. You can work and live your life by the most probable models of the world that you have come across, but never take anything as an absolute truth. Always be ready to learn.

I only took an intelligence test later in life, but using my SAT percentile rank and my score as a proxy for intelligence (charts can be found online), I score significantly higher these days on both intelligence tests and standardized scholastic tests. I can read, process, and infer much more information now than I before could, due to a decade of reading material that challenged me.

No amount of pill popping will have a dramatically positive effect on intelligence or it's mimic, a trained learned mind, that pursuing one of the above suggestions will. It's impossible. If intelligence isn't genetically determined (I believe that it is to a large extent), then the above process will have no limit on its helpful effect. If intelligence is genetic, then the above process will aid in bringing that intelligence to the surface and refining it. Unless your mind is trained for logic, then all of the intelligence in the world won't help, and likely it will lead you down some unsavory paths as your intelligence looks for outlets in unproductive places. In a way, rote learning can often mimic verbal intelligence (not problem solving) better than intelligence can, assuming the wrong people haven't gotten a hold of you. Problem solving abilities can be refined to a great degree through practice, but I doubt that you can significantly improve your actual innate capacity for solving problems, beyond what is merely an undeveloped talent.

Edited by golgi1, 29 October 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#8 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

There's a natural limit for everyone, but just like bodybuilding, few people reach their natural potential. They'll say that you're stuck where you're at, that you'll never be Arnold or Flex, that it's pointless trying to extend your life or improve your IQ. All excuses for laziness IMO. You're lucky to be at an age when your brain is still developing. Practice thinking conceptually. Studying hard science, especially math & physics is the best way to improve reasoning ability and over time your IQ score. Also, read lots and learn as much as you can about everything to increase the store of reference info to draw upon.

You could take ALCAR and/or lions mane or some other supplements that increase nerve growth factor. Phosphatidylserine and lecithin are building blocks for the brain and might be worth supplementing.

#9 kagalive1985

• 104 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

I see this as an opportunity to do one of two things:

1. Become a 70Kg lab rat for a few different nootropics COMBINED with education and puzzles to improve your knowledge and problem solving abilities, followed by further IQ tests.

2. Learning to love who you are and maximising your innate/existing skillset.

Both excellent options. They aren't mutually exclusive, either. :)

Either way, I wouldn't base your existence, even in the short-term, on joining Mensa. My experience was that (at least for my location) it was populated by anti-social introverts and wanna-be elitists. Consequently, I declined my invitation. <chuckle>

I whole-heartedly agree (I also turned down my invite!). Elitist self-righteous bunch of people to be honest...

TL/DR - Mensa isn't worth it!

Learn to love yourself is the best advice I've seen in a long time.

Namaste,
- kaga

#10 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Define your goals first - do you want to increase IQ itself (and why) or do you only want to be good at something? If it's the latter, then it's better to practice that specific domain. For example, IQ is probably connected to good music abilities, like playing an instrument - but it's more logical to learn to play an instrument than to increase IQ. Of course, improving IQ may lead to faster learning on different domains, but at this moment it's still hard to increase fluid intelligence.
Also, read this: http://www.gwern.net/DNB%20FAQ and http://www.gwern.net/Nootropics
Improving working memory may also be a good thing even if it doesn't increase your IQ. Working memory is a better predictor than IQ for some things.
Think about why do you want to be a member of mensa - what will happen if you won't be accepted? I've been thinking about joining it, I'd probably be accepted, but really, what's the point? I know I have high IQ, I know I am smart anyway and I have plenty to people to talk about things I'm interested in. Some people who've been members of Mensa say it's a kind of "high society", not really pleasant one.

Regarding supplements, creatine have been proven to increase IQ by some points in healthy people, but don't use it if you have any kidney problems (or relatives with diseases that affect kidneys, like diabetes for example). Different nootropics have different effects, some may improve your focus, memory recall, memory retention and so on. Use what you need and be careful, some may have unpleasant or harmful side effects (although by a narrow definition, nootropics shouldn't have any side effects - but some drugs that affect memory etc., can be harmful, like desmopressine or amphetamine for focus).

#11 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

Define your goals first - do you want to increase IQ itself (and why) or do you only want to be good at something? If it's the latter, then it's better to practice that specific domain. For example, IQ is probably connected to good music abilities, like playing an instrument - but it's more logical to learn to play an instrument than to increase IQ. Of course, improving IQ may lead to faster learning on different domains, but at this moment it's still hard to increase fluid intelligence.
Also, read this: http://www.gwern.net/DNB%20FAQ and http://www.gwern.net/Nootropics
Improving working memory may also be a good thing even if it doesn't increase your IQ. Working memory is a better predictor than IQ for some things.
Think about why do you want to be a member of mensa - what will happen if you won't be accepted? I've been thinking about joining it, I'd probably be accepted, but really, what's the point? I know I have high IQ, I know I am smart anyway and I have plenty to people to talk about things I'm interested in. Some people who've been members of Mensa say it's a kind of "high society", not really pleasant one.

Regarding supplements, creatine have been proven to increase IQ by some points in healthy people, but don't use it if you have any kidney problems (or relatives with diseases that affect kidneys, like diabetes for example). Different nootropics have different effects, some may improve your focus, memory recall, memory retention and so on. Use what you need and be careful, some may have unpleasant or harmful side effects (although by a narrow definition, nootropics shouldn't have any side effects - but some drugs that affect memory etc., can be harmful, like desmopressine or amphetamine for focus).

I want to increase my IQ just so I can be a better scientist in the future so I can make great strides in the field of aging research.

Edited by The Immortalist, 30 October 2012 - 02:54 AM.

• like x 1

#12 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm not sure that practicing towards a good "IQ score" is the best way to become a better scientist.
The best way imho to first to orient your life in terms or research where you think you can bring the most value to what matters to you. Eg candidate for NIH-ITP / other. Of course there are tradeoffs to consider (place, money & family), as everyone knows.

#13 Pound

• 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

If you want to increase you IQ, all you have to do is learn how to control your thoughts. Once you can do this, you can turn yourself into any person want. It's sounds so cliche, but it's more powerful then any noortropic known to existence.

#14 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Well if your goal is to score high on the Binet test, try to get sample questions. That seems to be a shallow goal to me...are you trying to get into Mensa or something??Perhaps you'll want to retake it once and see if you can score higher with a little preparation, but I wouldn't obsess over it for years.118 is a solid score, and you'll probably be able to score 120-130 with preparation.
You didn't say in your post what kind of career you want to pursue. (You've got a lot of posts, so maybe you've said before, idk.) But if you want to be great in your field (and taking IQ tests is hardly a career), as others have said, practice makes a master. If you want to be a chess grandmaster, study chess tactics. If you want to be a nobel laureaute in physics, study physics problems. And so forth.

#15 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Just do all the tests you can find, that'll help you x1000. IQ is trainable, even if people deny it.

#16 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Lol, yes, of course you can get sample questions or do the same/similar test over and over again and you'll get better scores - but that doesn't mean your IQ will actually be any higher. And with brain training it's still a question of transfer - if you train n-back you may score higher on IQ tests (especially raven matrices) but this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be more intelligent.
Join n-back google group (use google to find it), there's a lot of information there.

#17 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Lol, yes, of course you can get sample questions or do the same/similar test over and over again and you'll get better scores - but that doesn't mean your IQ will actually be any higher. And with brain training it's still a question of transfer - if you train n-back you may score higher on IQ tests (especially raven matrices) but this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be more intelligent.
Join n-back google group (use google to find it), there's a lot of information there.

His motivation was to join mensa, it would thus make most sense just to do IQ tests to score higher. But sure, n-Back will be awesome to do too.

#18 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

yes, but why join mensa if you know you're still stupid (well, not being genius doesn't mean you're stupid anyway).

#19 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

If you want to increase you IQ, all you have to do is learn how to control your thoughts. Once you can do this, you can turn yourself into any person want. It's sounds so cliche, but it's more powerful then any noortropic known to existence.

How?

#20 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Meditation. But I don't think it can really increase IQ. It's good for (mental) health, though.

#21 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Brainwave Entrainment. Google Neuro-Programmer 3.

Nootropics may help as well. Something as subtle as Piracetam, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and fish oil should work.

Diet, exercise, sleep, blah blah blah..

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with BWE and Neuro Programmer.

I used 'Intense Mental Workout' daily for months, using photic stimulation. I do feel that is was beneficialy, particularly due to the fac that it would seem that I am slow wave dominant (I get very, very relaxed and zoned out when entraining to high frequencies, which most people get stimulated by). I am going to start using it again in a few days, with some gamma sessions a couple of times a week. I do think it takes a long time to achieve a more permanent shift in brainwave patters so I will persist for an even longer period this time round. I intuitively feel that my brain loves these high frequencies.

#22 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Meditation. But I don't think it can really increase IQ. It's good for (mental) health, though.

There is some, amazing studies on meditation changing brain structure and inducing mylenation and 'gyrification' in the cortex. Here is one: http://www.scienceda...20314170647.htm

Despite this more 'objective' case for the cognitive boosting benefits of meditation, it is very apparent to me that as meditation makes a person more 'clear and present' they have increasing access to flow states, which as well as being transpersonal, 'spiritual' states of deep focus / awareness, are states of increased learning and cognitive processing ability by measure of speed, acuity, insight and intuition. It's good for you. I really can not see how CONSISTANT, DEDICATED meditation practice can NOT increase IQ.

There needs to be studies done on mediation and IQ. I think there would most defiantly be a positive correlation.
20 point increase with meditation is thrown around fairly loosely, however I have never seen any evidence for this.

It's my favourite 'nootropic' and I could not imagine my life without it - but it takes WORK - unlike just popping a pill - which I wish meditation was as easy as doing. I would pay good money for THAT lol

Edited by Renegade, 04 November 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#23 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Even just popping a pill needs time to raise your IQ, at least several weeks.

#24 James44

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Check out geniusbrain.weebly.com

Free newsletter, won't be disappointed!

#25 Anna Jackson

• 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

maybe for the math calculations u can learn mental math shortcuts.

i think logical puzzles and tasks much effective in brain training. Also he can try some educational and memory training games like this

https://itunes.apple...t=usa_link&mt=8

#26 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:54 AM

watch boring videos. geniuses have lower dopamine and if you do something that you dont enjoy you train your brain and mind and eventually the boring stuff will become fun https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Jk71bPz5VLo
  • Needs references x 1

#27 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

watch boring videos. geniuses have lower dopamine and if you do something that you dont enjoy you train your brain and mind and eventually the boring stuff will become fun https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Jk71bPz5VLo

I'm not so sure about this.   Is this related to the whole idea of a 'dopamine fast'?

IQ is not really dependent on motivation/ dopamine issues.  this is a bit of a misconception.  I know that many geniuses appear to be very uninterested/unmotivated in education early on, so we might assume that's because they have dopamine issues... but if you take a person with an IQ of 100, and put them in a setting where everyone has an IQ of 60, they are going to feel the same way.  Bored to death with what's going on, and how things are being taught.

I would just say, completely independent of IQ, I think that having more motivation towards things that don't give you immediate pleasure will help you accomplish more in academia.  This is why so many college students are abusing ADD medication/stimulants.  It absolutely helps them 'cram' more and get higher grades.

But there is a flip-side to this.  People with dopamine or motivation problems, or focus issues are actually more likely to think 'out of the box'.   Far more entrepreneurs tend to have ADD... as they simply cannot deal with a typical job... their reward system just doesn't fit with it.  Also... people with ADD tend to daydream more... and this isn't always a bad thing.   Geniuses from Kurzweil, to Einstein, to Feynman all seemed to let their minds 'wander' more often than not.  Yes, they had exceptionally high IQs, but that was only part of it... they also had curiosity that is difficult to measure.

#28 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:23 AM

On average, women have thicker cortices – the wrinkly, outer layer of the brain, responsible for higher-level functions – and thicker cortices have been associated with higher IQ scores. “All the wrinkles and convolutions allow more of that computational capacity to fit in,” says Jung.https://www.newscien...han-pea-brains/

#29 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:46 PM

Hang around or watch smart people. IF A weaker person hangs around other lazy people they will become like each other.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 elfanjo

• 73 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 08:52 PM

This subject (raising IQ) has been studied extensively.
The TLDR is you can't.

If you want to know more Jordan Peterson talked about it quite a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users