• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone here depressed by their intelligence?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Here is a quote I saw the other day with which I empathized

"I am just smart enough to be frustrated with how dumb I am"

That's just the way I feel! It's a bitch! The last nootropic I will try for a while will be modafinil. Let's just hope I have the correct genotype.

#32 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Why do you want to be smarter then you are? wtf even is smarter? be more unique go for that

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#33 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Why do you want to be smarter then you are? wtf even is smarter? be more unique go for that

I'd definitely go with wanting to be smarter (in almost all definitions of the word) than to just be randomly different than most other people.

#34 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'd definitely go with wanting to be smarter (in almost all definitions of the word) than to just be randomly different than most other people.

I just dont see why, perhaps because i know i am smarter then many but life is about harvesting reward and intelligence doesnt play the major role in that.

#35 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

"smart" has differened meanings too, some ppl are smarter then me because of uni compared to smart ppl induced by their own thinking/creativity. The first wont get smarter then what they get educated.

#36 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I just dont see why, perhaps because i know i am smarter then many but life is about harvesting reward and intelligence doesnt play the major role in that.

Because you can go a long way towards being orders of magnitude smarter than what you are now, even if you are the smartest person alive.

"smart" has differened meanings too, some ppl are smarter then me because of uni compared to smart ppl induced by their own thinking/creativity. The first wont get smarter then what they get educated.

The 'smartness' from education is just as important and its just weird to think that people who got smart 'because of uni' wont get smarter or anything like that. Education never ends and there is enough material for studying with our current level of intelligence to occupy you for millennia. And creativity is important and is also an element of being smart, but just being 'unique', that is 'different than the rest', doesn't mean anything unless your uniqueness at least gives you an advantage over everyone else.

#37 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I know yall are much more wanting to be unique like me rather then be more inteligent dont deny it fuckers:)

(joking)

Because you can go a long way towards being orders of magnitude smarter than what you are now, even if you are the smartest person alive.

The 'smartness' from education is just as important and its just weird to think that people who got smart 'because of uni' wont get smarter or anything like that. Education never ends and there is enough material for studying with our current level of intelligence to occupy you for millennia. And creativity is important and is also an element of being smart, but just being 'unique', that is 'different than the rest', doesn't mean anything unless your uniqueness at least gives you an advantage over everyone else.

I just gave 2 bad sterotyp's.

It does mean something, socially.... i dont know why you dont see the importance in that rather just in intelligence, life is about harvesting reward

#38 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Boy oh boy, how good it would have been if I just had better memory :( I hope some day we can come close to that NZT-48, if only a fraction of it.

#39 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

lol

#40 Bemiller16

• 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I agree and believe that unless there is a true handicap to learning (e.g., a true and relatively severe learning disability, physical handicap or severe intellectual ability) anyone can become "smarter" as in being able to absorb new information about the world and use that information to solve problems and interact with the environment. Naturally as one gets older their fluid (gf) intelligence diminishes so it is more difficult to learn new things, but through regular mental stimulation (notably, reading and hands on experiences) people of any age can become smarter (and by that I mean have a greater understanding, conception, and perspective of the world and be able to apply skills and solve complex, abstract problems). Even on most standardized intelligence tests used, there is a Verbal Comprehension component which assesses, in part, cultural knowledge, and understanding of language and real life problems. While one may not ever be able to increase processing speed (gs) or short-term memory (gsm) it is possible to increase intelligence through learning (hence the Flynn Effect). And certainly creativity is one critical element of intelligence. And while one may lack the verbal abilities to interact with the world, their non-verbal, symbolic, abstract conception (gv & gf) of the world may be greater and therefore they still possess intelligence, albeit not the type of intelligence that necessarily rubs off on others as such because of the verbal deficits.

It is helpful to use at least a standard measurement of intelligence when talking about it and CHC theory and PASS theory are probably the two most widely used in standardized intelligence tests to define intelligence.

Edited by bemiller16, 15 November 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#41 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

This is simular to ocd or BDD, need to everything in a pattern before its allright, need a new face to be happy and now need to be smart to be happy.

Pure O its called, obsessed with nonesense wich can induce depression.
  • dislike x 1

#42 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

This is simular to ocd or BDD, need to everything in a pattern before its allright, need a new face to be happy and now need to be smart to be happy.

No, intelligence is nothing like that. Wanting to be smart is not like wanting to have a new face and its not a disorder. Being smart provides you with fungible rewards in the real world and can be helpful in almost all of the areas of your daily life. Not wanting to be smarter is however quite abnormal.

#43 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Im referring to feel sad or depressed because of not achieving a wanted level of intelligence, not just trying to be more intelligent wich is something many of us need to do (except me im the smartest person here haha)

#44 absent minded

• 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

No, intelligence is nothing like that. Wanting to be smart is not like wanting to have a new face and its not a disorder. Being smart provides you with fungible rewards in the real world and can be helpful in almost all of the areas of your daily life. Not wanting to be smarter is however quite abnormal.

actually it is in a way, because it has something to do with wanting a better social identity

#45 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

medievel could you PM me something random? I want to ask you something personal, but I've used up all my PM's for today. I can respond if you PM me first.

#46 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I dont perceive my intelligence as being low but then again dumb people probably feel the same.
So I cant get depressed about the fact that I think Im a genious.

My only problems are motivation, dealing with frustration, feeling like shit every morning.

#47 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

i thought this thread was going to be about depression from being too smart and not fitting in. that is how i felt last year.

This.

#48 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Once you are a couple of std dev's above IQ 100 (say 150++), you end up being very different than most other people, indeed. Sometimes (often?) painfully so. In any case. there is only be a very small part of the population that can realistically relate to your experience in life (and vice versa, to a high degree).

It's ok as long as you do not run into any major roadblocks but if you do, you may end up in deep shit simply because finding someone that can actually help you is like looking for the needle in a haystack..

#49 N10sTexan

• 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks to poor lab hygiene and apathetic coworkers I was exposed to CS2. Blissfully unaware of how "regular" people's minds worked... I've climbed back up from the abyss... Prior to the cliff I was wholly unselfconscious and completely sensate focused. Jung called it "unconscious processing" I just know that the answer or concept was instantly THERE without any effort. Sounds lazy, narcissistic, whatever it was just the same as always EASY until it was all gone. F***ing "Flowers for Algernon"! Semper Fi

#50 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

edit

Edited by hivemind, 19 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#51 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

edit

Being smart is correlated to but not the same thing as having high IQ.

#52 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

edit

Exactly
I also consider anyone that manages to full in a iq test regardless what score smarter then me in some ways as i just wont ever be able to sit down and focus and do it all, haha everyone is smarter then most in one way or another, id say it would be hard to find someone that hasnt got some "talent" or thing you can find interesting or stands out in one way or another, can even just be the way of thinking.

This thread seems to indicate that being smarter is somehow better and that some humans are better then others wich i cant say.

#53 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

edit

I would rather have high IQ than be smart if I had to choose. :)

#54 Sam375

• 88 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

No, I'm not depressed by my IQ, because according to IQ scores I'm genius. :) I'm sometimes depressed because I know more about some things and so I care more ... Anyway, I still want to boost my IQ, but I'm not obsessed with it.

What's your score and where did you test it ?

#55 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I would gladly trade some IQ points for confidence and less social anxiety (no, booze does not do that for me)... In fact I believe it would make me more effective even at high IQ pursuits, and happier for sure.

#56 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

No, I'm not depressed by my IQ, because according to IQ scores I'm genius. :) I'm sometimes depressed because I know more about some things and so I care more ... Anyway, I still want to boost my IQ, but I'm not obsessed with it.

some tests that are not available over internet, but of those that are available, I think these two are pretty good (in comparison to most others):
http://www.cogn-iq.o...reasoning-tri52
http://mensa.no/olavtesten/ (don't worry about language, it's ordinary RPM).
but these only measure general abilities (so-called, g-factor), so one number doesn't give complete picture about someone's intelligence, for example, I'm good at non-verbal reasoning, but less good at verbal - but it doesn't show up on these tests.

#57 Sam375

• 88 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

some tests that are not available over internet, but of those that are available, I think these two are pretty good (in comparison to most others):
but these only measure general abilities (so-called, g-factor), so one number doesn't give complete picture about someone's intelligence, for example, I'm good at non-verbal reasoning, but less good at verbal - but it doesn't show up on these tests.

Thank you

#58 Sam375

• 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I scored 121 and 123 on mensa dk

Will be interesting to see how much I score once I start using piracetam...

I ll let you know.

#59 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

You could also play around with online GRE, GMAT and LSAT tests - they heavily rely on verbal reasoning as well but most definitely can be trained for (there's a whole industry for that)...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#60 Sam375

• 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

You could also play around with online GRE, GMAT and LSAT tests - they heavily rely on verbal reasoning as well but most definitely can be trained for (there's a whole industry for that)...

Like hippocampus I am not very good with words.

Do you have some links please ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users