- - - - -

How to increase confidence and self-esteem

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

are these confidence issues: work, school or personal (females)? a lot of it has to do with just being gung-ho about it and speaking confidently. to speak confidently, just take out the bullshit on subject matters.

but, no matter how many supplements you take -- if you don't practice it -- it won't ever come naturally, imo.

It's strictly personal (with people and females in particular), like I don't feel "good enough" although I really don't have anything less than others. It's just that some days I feel very very confident, but it happens like 3 times a year...

Although I practice (I do, believe me), it's just that there's always this feeling and I believe that some substances (mainly nootropics I think) can help this. Not solve, obviously, but help.

Also, nootropics are always welcome, let's say I'm interested in improving myself in general. I am in Med school and nootropics to help memory and attention (I tend to have a very short attention span) are very useful, but I'm really new to this world... I'm reading a lot about them in this board!

#32 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I can relate, I don't feel good enough either. Even when someone shows some interest in me, if they seem out of my league I tend to avoid seeing them because I feel how can I compete with everybody else who must be throwing themselves at them, and that makes me very depressed sometimes. I am trialing Wellbutrin now... Let us know if something helps you.

Edited by viveutvivas, 11 November 2012 - 09:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

I can relate, I don't feel good enough either. Even when someone shows some interest in me, if they seem out of my league I tend to avoid seeing them because I feel how can I compete with everybody else who must be throwing themselves at them, and that makes me very depressed sometimes. I am trialing Wellbutrin now... Let us know if something helps you.

I will! Same for you, hope the wellbutrin will help!

#34 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Real confidence comes from the strength of a character but of course feeling good is important. Getting the neurotransmitters flowing with exercise, good diet and daily socializing will support this tremendously. I find adaptogens to have helped me push through harded times and increased overall sense of myself.

My "confidence stack" would be something like this:
Siberian Ginseng 500-1500mg
Ashwagandha extract of around 5-10mg Withanolides
Zinc up to 50mg and Manganese up to 15mg
GABAergics selectively used when calmness is really needed

Edited by Galaxyshock, 12 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#35 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Real confidence comes from the strength of a character but of course feeling good is important.

It also comes from receiving positive feedback from others, especially if we are talking about the dating world. For people who are not outgoing, this can become a vicious cycle where their interaction with others is limited by their introversion, which reduces chances for positive feedback and can make the introversion and self esteem worse.

#36 jeancludd

• 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Real confidence comes from the strength of a character but of course feeling good is important.

It also comes from receiving positive feedback from others, especially if we are talking about the dating world. For people who are not outgoing, this can become a vicious cycle where their interaction with others is limited by their introversion, which reduces chances for positive feedback and can make the introversion and self esteem worse.

No, you shouldn't need positive feedback just to feel good. Are you gonna feel bad when people give you negative feedback? Never value someone elses opinion of yourself higher than your own, no one knows you as well as you know yourself. Most people who are stuck in a spiral like that are so certain of a negative outcome that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that they bring down upon themselves. Don't be addicted to negativity and stop the mental masturbation.

Confidence comes from trusting in your ability to deal with whatever happens/expecting a positive outcome.

The best way out is to take action, not supplements or contemplation. There's probably a lot of good material on how to break negative thought loops and get addicted to positivity instead.

This is me ranting and generalizing ;D
  • like x 1

#37 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

No, you shouldn't need positive feedback just to feel good.

Like it or not, we are social creatures. It is impossible to make yourself feel good in isolation - we need feedback. The proof is that people who are put in solitary confinement go bananas very quickly, independent of their self-confidence.

#38 sapaiderman

• 55 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

"The best way out is to take action, not supplements or contemplation. There's probably a lot of good material on how to break negative thought loops and get addicted to positivity instead."

for me alpha gpc and cdp choline have been very beneficial in clearing my brain fog, pramiracetam has improved brain recall and memory and aniracetam helps with anxiety

for me these supplements are helping me get back to the way I used to be, a happy and confident person

#39 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

"The best way out is to take action, not supplements or contemplation. There's probably a lot of good material on how to break negative thought loops and get addicted to positivity instead."

for me alpha gpc and cdp choline have been very beneficial in clearing my brain fog, pramiracetam has improved brain recall and memory and aniracetam helps with anxiety

for me these supplements are helping me get back to the way I used to be, a happy and confident person

Yes, I think CDP-choline is helping me, I didn't "test" it yet in social situations, but my brain fog is cleared... Even if it won't work for confidence, it works as a nootropic!

Also, I know about all the things about going out more (I do, but still), exercising, working out, exposure terapy, take action, etc., but what I'm looking for are substances to help me feel more confident, and so applying all the "psychological" stuff in real life. It's like when you take antidepressants, they help you internally and chemically with depression, so that you can take life in your hands...

Edited by ricca91, 12 November 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#40 jeancludd

• 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

No, you shouldn't need positive feedback just to feel good.

Like it or not, we are social creatures. It is impossible to make yourself feel good in isolation - we need feedback. The proof is that people who are put in solitary confinement go bananas very quickly, independent of their self-confidence.

Won't argue with that! :)

Never said that you should stay in isolation or that we aren't social creatures. Go out, have fun...but don't let other people dictate how you feel.

#41 jayfoxpox

• 67 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

This is a little controversial imo , but there is power posing as suggested in this ted talk

By doing "confident" postures you become more confident.
  • like x 1

#42 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

So today was my third day on CDP-Choline. Until now I have just one word to say: WOW! First of all, it's very stimulating, much more so than modafinil. I also feel more "ready" to understand concepts and conversations (I am in Argentina, and I'm italian). Seems to be good for socialization too.

Now I have two questions: should it be cycled? What is your personal experience with it and how does it compare to Alpha-GPC and ALCAR?

#43 sapaiderman

• 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

I too had that wow feeling for the first few days when first taking CDP choline
but that wow feeling went after a few days and just left me depressed, so I stopped taking it and switched to alpha GPC...
I took CDP yesterday after a three week break and I had that wow feeling in the AM but by PM I was depressed...

for now I'm sticking to GPC, It hasn't given me that wow feeling but it has many other benefits like growth hormone production and skin re-hydration, my wrinkles are smoother!

maybe lower your dose of CDP or cycle it with something else

as for ALCAR it is too stimulating for me at 500mg, it makes me nervous and jittery

currently taking

AM
GPC 500mg
Prami 100mg
omega 3,6,9

PM
Prami 100mg
fish oil

BVit every other day

#44 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

By getting older. :D

#45 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

So today was my third day on CDP-Choline. Until now I have just one word to say: WOW! First of all, it's very stimulating, much more so than modafinil. I also feel more "ready" to understand concepts and conversations (I am in Argentina, and I'm italian). Seems to be good for socialization too.

Now I have two questions: should it be cycled? What is your personal experience with it and how does it compare to Alpha-GPC and ALCAR?

I don't believe you need to cycle it but the excessive Acetyl-Choline build up may require you to have washout periods. I found ALCAR to effect me better and Alpha-GPC to not affect me at all. You should try all three and see which you respond to the best.

#46 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Up to a point, and then it decreases again, especially if you get divorced and have to start all over being single when you have aged out of many dating scenes.

Edited by viveutvivas, 14 November 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#47 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

I don't believe you need to cycle it but the excessive Acetyl-Choline build up may require you to have washout periods. I found ALCAR to effect me better and Alpha-GPC to not affect me at all. You should try all three and see which you respond to the best.

Nice! I'll try ALCAR since I'm very intrigued by it. Alpha GPC is not available here where I live, so I'll maybe order it from the internet someday. However it seems that CDP-Choline and ALCAR are the big bullets!

#48 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

Up to a point, and then it decreases again, especially if you get divorced and have to start all over being single when you have aged out of many dating scenes.

My self esteem has nothing to do with being divorced or single. The older I become the more self esteem I have.

#49 Primamecha

• 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Hi ricca91,

I suggest you do it the old fashion way, READ. If you have the effort, willingness to research nootropics,. surely you can make the time to purchase a dating book and read it. Don't use any sort of drug/nootropic to help you appear confident with women because then it will most likely lead to psychological problems.

I won't blame you if you are introverted, but if you really want to change, positive and healthy risks must be made. You are thinking too much. Just go read a dating book, grab out a few pointers, apply, then go fish..

I can email you a couple sources if interested...

Edited by Primamecha, 15 November 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#50 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hi ricca91,

I suggest you do it the old fashion way, READ. If you have the effort, willingness to research nootropics,. surely you can make the time to purchase a dating book and read it. Don't use any sort of drug/nootropic to help you appear confident with women because then it will most likely lead to psychological problems.

I won't blame you if you are introverted, but if you really want to change, positive and healthy risks must be made. You are thinking too much. Just go read a dating book, grab out a few pointers, apply, then go fish..

I can email you a couple sources if interested...

Hi! Thank you for your answer! I'm working on feeling confortable around a woman when it's time to get to the chase... I read a book which helped me called "the dating black book". I think pills are a support, and so I wanted to know experiences from everybody with substances which are both good for cognition and memory and for feeling better internally!
Take care!

#51 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

My self esteem has nothing to do with being divorced or single. The older I become the more self esteem I have.

Well of course, by now we all know you are perfect, no less than a paragon of successful pop psychology. I am talking about normal people. Maybe get back to us when you are 50, your wife or husband has just left you for someone better-looking, richer, younger, more successful, or worst of all, someone really nice whom you admire, and you realize that at this point in your life everybody you are attracted to goes out of their way to ignore you, as opposed to when you were 35. Tell us how confident you feel then.

#52 jeancludd

• 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Sounds like a good ol case of: http://en.wikipedia....ictim_mentality

Snap out of it! It's not very attractive to other people in general.

Edited by jeancludd, 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#53 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Well of course, by now we all know you are perfect, no less than a paragon of successful pop psychology. I am talking about normal people. Maybe get back to us when you are 50, your wife or husband has just left you for someone better-looking, richer, younger, more successful, or worst of all, someone really nice whom you admire, and you realize that at this point in your life everybody you are attracted to goes out of their way to ignore you, as opposed to when you were 35. Tell us how confident you feel then.

Old people are richer than young people. :)
Getting ugly is something I can't do nothing about. It will not hurt my self-esteem.

If I had a wife she would be old and ugly too at 50, so why would young rich guys be interested in her? :D

#54 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Simple: The only reason you are not, is you dont believe you.

#55 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

Adderall is honestly the quickest most efficient way for temporary confidence IMO, too bad it's not really a great long term solution.

#56 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Adderall is honestly the quickest most efficient way for temporary confidence IMO, too bad it's not really a great long term solution.

Yes, amphetamines are something which anecdotally are reported to solve social anxiety in the short term, but I wouldn't take them, firstly because they are not available in my country and secondly because I think they might aggravate my hypertension, not to mention insomnia and possibly switching to hypomania.

I might try selegiline at some point though. My experience with light stimulants like pseudoephedrine and modafinil are paradoxical, they make me quite drowsy at first and then they give me insomnia later, especially modafinil... It's difficult to describe, it's a mix between drowsiness and jitteriness.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#57 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:10 PM

I noticed when I take a drug for my anxiety caused by a mutation, like memantine which is somehow absorbed outside of small intestine and a high dose needed for it to have enough effect than usual, that my family around me in our house start to calm down almost immediately when the drug kicks in my system/blood. Why is that? Why is that when my anxiety goes down and I become confident and more control of my mind and thoughts, that this affects my family to become calmer and more rational in their own mind?... consciousness effect? Then when the drug wears off and I become my old beta self then my family goes back to their quote on quote normal self, which is acting crazy and illogical all the time. So somehow my peace of mind affects them. I was hoping that Id have done it enough times (taking the memantine drug) that perhaps the effect would stay forever on my family without my help, but it seems more is needed. I see it like an animal thing, when the alpha wolf is calm then so is the rest, but if the alpha is scared themselves this will also make the wolves scared. I noticed this phenomenon kind of online as well, people are more attracted and what to be around you more and less likely to challenge you etc. And they look for me for guidance, kind of scary i dont like that. they should be on their own without me. I imagine the smartest guy must feel some fear being alone.

Edited by kurdishfella, 02 March 2021 - 12:17 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users