Photo
- - - - -

Brain Space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:47 AM

So how much capacity do our brains have, measured in years? If a human being's body/flesh did not wear out, how long would they be able to live before their brains ran out of space?

I'm asking this in the context of Aubrey's claims of infinite lifespan -- by this, I assume he is allowing for the possible migration of our consciousnesses out of the limited flesh and blood form, and into some less limited form.

If your flesh and blood could keep on going without problems, then how long would it take you to use up your brain capacity, to the point of having it significantly infringe upon your mental freedom?

There have been varying guesstimates of how much spare brain capacity we have -- ranging from 5 times to 10 times as much as we use in our lifetimes. But these guesses are based on simplistic assumptions. Suppose other complications arise, in the form of electrical leakages from adjacent neural branches for example, when you begin to use significantly higher capacities of the brain.

Just as we point out that evolution never bothered to design our cellular longevity to last beyond the point of child-bearing/rearing, likewise why would it have bothered to design our brains/minds to function significantly beyond conventional lifespan limits? Science doesn't yet know all it needs to know about senility and other age-related afflictions of the mind.

Presuming that enough longevity will eventually cause you to run of space in your brain to house your mind, then how long do we have to come up with new accomodations to house the mind?

#2 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:48 AM

It just deletes some (in most cases unimportant) content? I don't know about your brain, but mine does that every day...

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

• Lurker

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:08 AM

Good question. Seeing as there is no strict method of measuring long term memory or of correlating memory with cortical mass it is a very difficult to answer. Anecdotal evidence suggests a lifetime's worth but if neurons were functioning optimally (in a pre 40's + state) then it could be a bit longer. There are already digital memory prostheses being developed and I believe that cortical mass and dendritic density could be genetically increased to accommodate longer lifespans. Evidence from studies of the cortex of individuals with extraordinary cognitive faculties suggest that there is room for improvement. Ultimately, if memory is to be retained without the systematic erosion of what is least recalled, then we will have to rely on digital prostheses.

#4 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

Well said Prometheus. I'm just wondering why we would want to prevent the "systematic erosion of what is least recalled". What is least recalled is by definition the most unimportant stuff. Even my windows desktop adopted this strategy lately. But I understand that this is not a technical answer and may not belong here.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 manofsan

• Topic Starter
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

I would worry about the limitations of digital prostheses, since our electrochemical encoding can provide a richness and subtlety that digital devices may not be able to match. Also, some aspects of memory encoding may be wholistic and decentralized, and therefore a prosthesis attached to a specific location may be not be able to adequately interface with the brain in that respect. Also, what happens if your prosthesis suffers a power failure, or data corruption due to static electricity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users