- - - - -

Pepper, antifertility, testosterone.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hello

I'm came upon this study about Piperine, the main alkaloid in black/white pepper, said to constitute 5-10% of the mass of the actual spice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7168956
"Piperine effectively inhibited implantation, produced abortion and delayed labor when it was given from day 2 through 5, day 8 through 12 and day 15 until labor, respectively. At the same dose level which interrupts pregnancy, piperine did not affect the estrous cycle."

This study was on mice. Do you think this is a consideration for humans as well? Could heavy supplementation with pepper induce abortion?

Second study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....erm=piperine t4
"The simultaneous administration of piperineand HFD (high-fat diet) significantly reduced plasma lipids and lipoproteins levels, except for HDL, which was significantly elevated. Piperine supplementation also improved the plasma levels of apo A-I, T3, T4, testosterone, and I and significantly reduced apo B, TSH, and insulin to near normal levels."

Do you think piperine supplementation can be used to increase thermogenesis and/or testosterone significantly?

I've also read studies indicating that piperine:
- Stimulates melanogenesis, production of melanin.
- Has MAO-A/B inhibitory activity.
- Inhibits Alpha-5 reductase, increasing testosterone and lowering DHT.
- Has neuroprotective effects on hippocampal neurons:
"In the present study, we demonstrated that the antidepressant-like effects of piperine and its mechanisms might be involved by up-regulation of the progenitor cell proliferation of hippocampus and cytoprotective activity."
- Inhibits adipogenesis.

My main considerations are; would consuming a a few grams of pepper daily be beneficial for body-mass recomposition and boosting testosterone?
Is it plausable that piperine could prevent pregnancy in humans?

I am asking because I suspect people here might know more about its effect on biochemistry.

Edited by chung_pao, 14 December 2012 - 11:54 PM.

• like x 2

#2 blueinfinity

• 122 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

interesting there was no response to this, Sounds interesting.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

This is quite fascinating! Perhaps the piperine used in curcumin formulations counteracts the estrogenic effects of curcumin as well?

If this worked as birth control, it would be extremely preferable to hormonal birth control pills. Anybody know about long-term side effects?

#4 chung_pao

• Topic Starter
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Trial and error led to this conclusion: DO NOT MEGADOSE PIPERINE.
I experienced a weird reaction which resembled the profile for Serotonin syndrome; sweaty and panicky.

#5 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Trial and error led to this conclusion: DO NOT MEGADOSE PIPERINE.
I experienced a weird reaction which resembled the profile for Serotonin syndrome; sweaty and panicky.

Did you consume pure piperine powder or did you take black pepper? If so how much to get this syndrome?

#6 blueinfinity

• 122 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

I've heard from a few sources that black pepper is bad for most people...

here is a link that reflects similar thoughts.
http://www.dadamo.co...epictor5.pl?603

and especially bad when ground commercial black pepper (probably more due to the oxidation and/or mold that can grow from pre-grinding just about any dietary substance.
http://www.dadamo.co...epictor5.pl?291
  • Ill informed x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 lemon_

• Validating/Suspended
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

Anyone

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#8 Adam Karlovsky

• Guest, Moderator
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

Firstly, blueinfinity linked to a blood type diet page, which is not a reliable scientific source of information.

Secondly, it seems large amounts of pepper on it's own, or with basic kitchen spices, would be fine, but as soon as you start stacking it with pharmaceuticals there is a risk of it changing the metabolism which could be good, or very bad.

Through its active component Piperine, Black Pepper is able to modify supplement and drug metabolism.

A process in the liver called glucuronidation, which attaches a molecule (glucuronide) to drugs to signal for their urinary excretion, is inhibited with piperine. This process prevents excessive levels of drugs and supplements in the body, but sometimes inhibits all uptake and renders some supplements useless. In the scenario of piperine ingestion, excretion of supplements is hindered and certain drugs and supplements can bypass this regulatory stage (as not all are subject to it).

This is good in some cases, as Piperine is required to give Curcumin to the extremities rather than it getting consumed by glucuronidation in the liver. However, in some other cases it can lead to elevated levels of certain drugs in the blood. Again, elevated could be good or bad depending on context; regardless, caution should be taken when approaching this compound.

http://examine.com/s...s/Black Pepper/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users