Photo
- - - - -

Dramatically increase Insulin Sensitivity

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I've had great luck discovering novel drugs in this forum so far. As part of my latest project that has to do with calorie repartitioning I'm looking for a drug/supplement that is able to dramatically increase insulin sensitivity in the long-term.
I'm already familiar with stuff like Metformin, Bromocriptine, IGF-1 and whatnot.
I'm looking for something that is way more effective and very safe in the long-term maybe even a lifestyle drug.

Cutting-edge research drugs/peptides are also ok. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks.

#2 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Weightlifting.
  • like x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Weightlifting.

Please don't patronize me....

If I'm at longecity and talking about IGF-1 I probably know about weightlifting.

This topic is more about chemicals like GW-501516, SRT2379 etc.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Effect of ground cinnamon on postprandial blood glucose concentration in normal-weight and obese adults.

My personal experience with cinnamon extract was quite positive.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 15 December 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#5 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Effect of ground cinnamon on postprandial blood glucose concentration in normal-weight and obese adults.

Interesting, I will add this to my list of nutrients.

What is the most potent cinnamon extract you've come across ?
Probably this one ?: http://www.swansonvi...150-mg-120-caps

Thanks

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Interesting, I will add this to my list of nutrients.

What is the most potent cinnamon extract you've come across ?
Probably this one ?: http://www.swansonvi...150-mg-120-caps

Thanks

I started with Doctor's Best, one 125 mg capsule three times a day. Now I'm taking Natrol, 1000 mg of extract per (2 tablet) serving, but I'm only taking one a day, and that seems sufficient.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think the one that is 1000mg is actually less potent. Sounds like the difference between Yohimbe and Yohimbine HCL. I mean think about it Natrol's product costs 3 times less but gives 8 times the amount.
Maybe it's my bad though.

#8 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Huh? I'm not patronizing buddy. You asked for 'lifestyle' drugs, and besides, you're not the only person reading this thread. There is alot more involved than IGF1.

I would also add apple cider vinegar or perhaps kombucha to the list.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#9 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Huh? I'm not patronizing buddy. You asked for 'lifestyle' drugs, and besides, you're not the only person reading this thread. There is alot more involved than IGF1.

I would also add apple cider vinegar or perhaps kombucha to the list.

I'm thinking that both apple cider vinegar and kombucha base their insulin modulating effects on some chromium content. If that's true you might wanna read this study:
http://www.biomedcen.../12/31/abstract

#10 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

It probably has more to do with the acetic and oxaloacetic acid.

#11 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Unfortunately, I can't give you any medicinal insulin boosters. But the ones below have been very effective for me.

Green tea polyphenol (EGCG), curcumin, alpha-lipoic acid.
I had a routine for a while to eat 5g turmeric before meals. Turmeric has been the only insulin booster which I actually can feel siphons glucose into muscle.
http://ergo-log.com/...icarchives.html
http://ergo-log.com/...inboosters.html

Edited by chung_pao, 16 December 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#12 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Unfortunately, I can't give you any medicinal insulin boosters. But the ones below have been very effective for me.

Green tea polyphenol (EGCG), curcumin, alpha-lipoic acid.
I had a routine for a while to eat 5g turmeric before meals. Turmeric has been the only insulin booster which I actually can feel siphons glucose into muscle.
http://ergo-log.com/...icarchives.html
http://ergo-log.com/...inboosters.html

Chung Pao, thank you so much. This site is amazing. I love it.

Important: Guys please note that I'm interested in increasing insulin resistance in fat cells and insulin sensitivity in muscle cells, not insulin sensitivity in general.

#13 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

If you are not afraid of big pharma you could try the thiazolidinedione class of drugs.
they are PPARy modulators and they are potent insulin sensitivity increaser.
just be careful to not take them too long because they can cause bladder cancer.

• dislike x 1

#14 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

TZDs do have some nice sides such as browning of white adipose tissue, however TZDs increase overall insulin sensitivity not just muscle cell insulin sensitivity and may paradoxically cause fat gains instead of calorie repartitioning. However thanks to TZDs a new hormone was discovered which is called Irisin and may have all the positive sides of TZD without its negative sides.
When it comes to ppar-modulators, I'm more interested in ppar-delta modulators like gw-501516. Thanks for the input though.

#15 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Beta-Guanidinopropionic acid, but I don't think it's tissue-specific.

Edited by Shepard, 26 December 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#16 Climactic

• 331 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

Berberine, but it has a side effect of inhibiting CYP3A4. See the links.

#17 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

There have to be enough ideas in this thread to concoct the next Red Bull or Sobe.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#18 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Berberine, but it has a side effect of inhibiting CYP3A4. See the links.

Has to be active only at the skeletal muscle cells. Otherwise is not much help.
  • dislike x 1

#19 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Maybe amlexanox could be helpful to you.

http://www.theonline...esExamined.aspx

There is another thread on here discussing suppliers. It's not expensive, either.

#20 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Maybe amlexanox could be helpful to you.

http://www.theonline...esExamined.aspx

There is another thread on here discussing suppliers. It's not expensive, either.

I read the note but I couldn't find suggestions that it's specific for the skeletal muscle cells. What I basically wanna do is to make fat cells insulin resistant and muscle cells insulin sensitive. Like with PPAR modulators. You know what I mean ? If I wanted a general increase of insulin sensitivity I'd just go with metformin. Any ideas ?

#21 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

There's the idea of GLUT-4 activation; engaging in brief muscular contractions before meals or just three times a day.
I'm talking about 20 squats, pushups and pulls of some kind. This will sensitize your muscles to insulin, increase glycogen synthesis and increase epinephrine-induced lipolysis and thermogenesis.

This might be possible to induce pharmacologically as well.
See GLUT-4 activation or AMPK-boosters.

Another good idea for increased muscle gain and fat-loss is to take the PAGG-stack daily.
It consists of Policosanol, Alpha-lipoic acid, aged garlic extract, and EGCG.
Curcumin can be added as well. All of the constituents aid in muscle gain/fat loss.

Edited by chung_pao, 18 February 2013 - 04:27 PM.

• like x 1

#22 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

There's the idea of GLUT-4 activation; engaging in brief muscular contractions before meals or just three times a day.
I'm talking about 20 squats, pushups and pulls of some kind. This will sensitize your muscles to insulin, increase glycogen synthesis and increase epinephrine-induced lipolysis and thermogenesis.

This might be possible to induce pharmacologically as well.

Another good idea for increased muscle gain and fat-loss is to take the PAGG-stack daily.
It consists of Policosanol, Alpha-lipoic acid, aged garlic extract, and EGCG.
Curcumin can be added as well. All of the constituents aid in muscle gain/fat loss.

Good stuff. Thank you.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#23 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'd be surprised if CILTEP didn't have an insulin sensitizing effect, considering the noticeable swelling I get in my biceps while on it and literally doing nothing to make it happen.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#24 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

apple cider vinegar

+1 add Korean red ginseng too, or just steam your raw ginseng for 3 hours to boost the Rg3
http://www.ncbi.nlm....books/NBK92776/

#25 Climactic

• 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Speaking of AMPK boosters, both metformin and berberine cause AMPK activation. However, AMPK overactivation is associated withAlzheimer's. Naively, this to me sounds paradoxical. The Wikipedia article on AMPK says:

The antidiabetic drug metformin(Glucophage) acts by stimulating AMPK,[19][20] leading to reduced glucose production in the liver and reduced insulin resistance in the muscle. (Metformin usually causes weight loss and reduced appetite[citation needed], not weight gain and increased appetite, which is opposite of what might be expected given the Johns Hopkins mouse study results. )

Recent research [21] has implicated overproduction of AMPK in the genesis of Alzheimer's disease. This has raised theoretical concern over the safety of Metformin.

A number of recent studies suggest that the botanical alkaloid berberine, also activates AMPK and glucose transport in muscles.[22][23][24][25][26]

There is also a section in the article which talks about an apparent AMPK paradox too. Just maybe we should be careful and not overactivate AMPK. Does an inverted U-curve characterize it?

Edited by Climactic, 05 May 2013 - 07:10 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#26 Climactic

• 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Speaking of insulin sensitivity, what ideal fasting plasma glucose level would best reflect it? Yesterday I got fasting glucose readings from 79 to 88, averaging at 85 mg/dL (4.7 mmol/L). Is this ideal or should it be a bit lower still?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users