Olshansky - Immortality As Hype, Nothing New

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

Speaking of which, where is the chat log?

Didn't it get recorded?

• Lurker

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

That should cover it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[16:33] <kevin> don't everybody all talk at once now.
[16:33] <kevin> ping
[16:33] <mrfesta2> shall try not to :)
[16:34] <kevin> ahh.. at least this things working... thnx jeff.. ;)
[16:34] <mrfesta2> np kevin
[16:38] * mrfesta has quit IRC (Quit: JWIRC applet)
[16:38] * mrfesta has joined #immortal
[16:39] * Lucifer has joined #immortal
[16:39] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Lucifer
[16:39] * Lucifer sets mode: -o Lucifer
[16:43] <Matt> Its 8pm on east coast in 20 minutes right?
[16:44] <Guest1960147> yes
[16:44] * Guest1960147 is now known as Jonesey
[16:44] <Matt> ok
[16:50] <Elrond> howdy folks
[16:56] <LazLo> hey kev and all :)
[16:56] * JayO has joined #immortal
[16:56] <LazLo> eh Kev and everyone :)
[16:56] <Matt> brb just making a cup of mint green tea, yummm.
[16:56] <Matt> oh and ello
[16:56] <JayO> Greetings from Chicago
[16:57] <Elrond> good to have you here
[16:57] <kevin> Good evening Jay et al...
[16:57] <JayO> so please advise -- how will this work?
[16:57] <Jonesey> you post your social security numbers and credit card numbers, then we all leave in a hurry
[16:58] <Jonesey> you can chat while we shop
[16:58] <JayO> 378-46-6980 ; 2359-4579-4590 exp 9/11
[16:59] <kevin> heh.. I would expect that BJ (should he hopefully be not stuck on the road somewhere while filming) will be here shortly to take the chair.
[16:59] * Lucifer is back.
[16:59] * ag24 has joined #immortal
[17:00] <kevin> Hello Lucifer..
[17:00] <BJKlein> JayO.. welcome.. ready for chat?
[17:00] <kevin> Hello ag..
[17:00] <JayO> ready
[17:00] <ag24> Hi all
[17:00] <Elrond> excellent
[17:00] * BJKlein Official Chat Starts
[17:00] <BJKlein> May 22 - Immortality as Hype, Nothing New
[17:00] <BJKlein> Co-author of "The Quest for Immortality: Science at the Frontiers of Aging," Professor S. Jay Olshansky joins ImmInst to discuss what he considers hype surrounding immortality
[17:01] <BJKlein> Jay, so why are you picking on us?
[17:01] <JayO> because I want you to succeed.
[17:01] * kevin chuckles..
[17:01] <kevin> Is this some reverse social psychology Jay.. like Pontin's efforts maybe?
[17:01] <BJKlein> That's great, actually... pick on us some more, please
[17:02] <JayO> by the way, a message to any students here -- please fire away -- I love questions from students.
[17:02] * Guest has joined #immortal
[17:02] <ag24> I can confirm that Jay's comment is consistent with everything he's said to me in our near-decade of communication - I'm delighted that this sets the tone.
[17:02] <BJKlein> ag24 = Aubrey de Grey
[17:02] <Elrond> What do you believe the greatest obsticles to be in the quest for immortality that perhaps many of us are missing?
[17:03] <JayO> I also want to thank anyone who stayed awake for this -- i.e., Aubrey, although we've chatted many times in the middle of the night.
[17:03] <JayO> The greatest obstacle to immortality you ask?
[17:03] <Elrond> indeed
[17:04] <JayO> The scientific evidence that it is possible. I'm not even sure immortality should be the goal.
[17:04] <BJKlein> How long do you wish to live, Jay?
[17:04] <Elrond> what then should the goal be?
[17:04] <kevin> but Jay.. isn't immortality, in some form or another, really always the goal?
[17:05] <Jonesey> there are immortal species, i thought?
[17:05] <Jonesey> so that takes care of the is it possible question
[17:05] <JayO> I have no age in mind as a goal, I only want to live a healthy life for as long as that might be. I've had this conversation with my 90 year old father and he is only interested in his health. I tend to agree.
[17:05] <Elrond> sure, the aspens in my back yard are more or less immortal
[17:05] <LazLo> Do you think it is a tactical error to have chosen the term immortality to defend? When pragmatically the best we can really argue for is the longevity of taking one day at time facing each with the best we have to offer?
[17:06] <JayO> Yes Lazlo, I think immortality should not be set up as the target. The target should an extension of healthy life for as long as possible.
[17:06] <BJKlein> Jay, what do you think happens after death?\
[17:06] <JayO> the same that happened before birth
[17:07] <kevin> Laz... one must weigh the audience, but in essence let's call it for what it is.. no body of sound mind and body wants to die or see their loved ones die
[17:07] <BJKlein> Then why should we open ourselfs up to that fate?
[17:07] <JayO> that is our fate at the moment, I'm not sure what you mean by open ourselves up.
[17:07] <BJKlein> in terms of not try for immortality
[17:07] <LazLo> This is not the desire for death or immortality but a question of pragmatics and politics as well IMHO.
[17:08] <BJKlein> It seems you suggest oblivion is better than try for immortality?
[17:08] <JayO> Why would you say that. I would never say that. I am merely saying that healthy life should be the goal.
[17:08] <BJKlein> How long?
[17:08] * Morrdaz has joined #immortal
[17:08] <JayO> as long as healthy life is possible
[17:09] <BJKlein> I say it's possible forever...
[17:09] <BJKlein> thus, the goal should be immortality
[17:09] <JayO> perhaps. do you think you will live forever, be immortal?
[17:09] <BJKlein> Yes.
[17:10] <Morrdaz> what about overpopulation?
[17:10] <BJKlein> Also, I think it's an imperative because death is oblivion
[17:10] <JayO> that's fine. should we direct scientific research toward that end, or should we direct scientific research on aging toward trying to extend healthy life? Are they one in the same?
[17:10] <BJKlein> all problems such as overpopulation will keep me active forever in their challange
[17:10] <LazLo> Howeer as we see with fending off spiritualists and snake oil salesmen at times the term is loaded with conflicting memetics like the term eternal. Mordazz overpopualtion is not caused by longevity
[17:10] <Elrond> I would say that they are one and the same
[17:11] * Nanogirl has joined #immortal
[17:11] <Jonesey> well oblivion is easy to attain, turn on tv during prime time
[17:11] <BJKlein> We should focus on aging research with the end goal in mind of immortaltiy...
[17:11] <BJKlein> not just life extension
[17:12] <Venezuela> Greetings to you all from Venezuela, South America :-)
[17:12] <LazLo> However between Jay, Aubrey, and you there is far less difference of opinon it sounds than with all of us and Kass
[17:12] <JayO> I disagree BJ. I think the goal of research should be healthy life extension. If immortality is the goal, you will not be able to demonstrate this empirically.
[17:12] * Venezuela has quit IRC (Quit: JWIRC applet)
[17:12] <BJKlein> I'll have fun trying
[17:12] <Nanogirl> I'm with you BJ
[17:12] <kevin> Jay.. would you agree that the quest for immortality underlies much of human endeavor?
[17:13] * Venezuela has joined #immortal
[17:13] <Venezuela> Greetings to you all from South America :-)
[17:13] <kevin> whether through our children or works of mind?
[17:13] <LazLo> That I agree with Kev
[17:13] * Guest1 has joined #immortal
[17:13] <JayO> no, I would not agree. I think the avoidance of death underlies much of the human endeavor. Actually, reproduction would probably be top on my list.
[17:13] * Guest1 has quit IRC (Quit: JWIRC applet)
[17:13] * Guest1 has joined #immortal
[17:14] <Venezuela> Greetings to you all from South America :-)
[17:14] <Morrdaz> would we still live if we were immortal? without death there is no life...
[17:14] * Guest1 has quit IRC (Quit: JWIRC applet)
[17:14] <Elrond> I think that once human lifespan is extended enough the negative stigma associated with the term “biological immortality” in so many minds will naturally fade away.
[17:14] <kevin> Come now Jay.. people are having fewer children than ever in western societies.. reproduction is not as important as quality of life increases.
[17:14] * Guest1 has joined #immortal
[17:14] <Nanogirl> If I won't be dying tomorrow Morrdaz, am I not alive today?
[17:14] <LazLo> Is that you José? Mordazz the definitionof life isnot dependent on death existing.
[17:15] <JayO> That sounds like a quote from Kass -- no life without death. I don't quite understand that -- we don't need death -- it is an inevitable byproduct of genetic programs for growth, development, and reproduction.
[17:15] * TylerE has joined #immortal
[17:15] <Morrdaz> yeah but how would you define life with out death?
[17:15] <kevin> All major human endeavor is meant to imprint our identity somehow on history.. thus ensuring some piece of ourselves will be left behind.
[17:15] <JayO> Kevin -- reproduction is not just production of offspring -- need I remind you.
[17:15] <Nanogirl> how do you define it now?
[17:16] <JayO> define what nanogirl?
[17:16] <Morrdaz> oh no pls not that with virus and stuff... i wanted easier right now ^^
[17:16] <Morrdaz> like... everything that is not death lives
[17:16] <Nanogirl> I'm asking Morrdaz how he defines life
[17:16] <Morrdaz> you rule out death you dont have life anymore
[17:16] <Morrdaz> something like that ^^
[17:16] <JayO> Aubrey, perhaps you should ask your question before you fall asleep.
[17:17] <ag24> Folks - Jay hasn't done this before - help the novices out by specifying whom you're answering.
[17:17] <Nanogirl> life is a full and complex definition by itself
[17:17] <ag24> Jay - I just posted it a couple of minutes ago - did you nots ee it?
[17:17] <JayO> I did not
[17:17] <kevin> Aubrey.. it didn't show
[17:18] <Jonesey> i just got my "chess life" magazine and i was thinking the title was kind of redundant
[17:18] <Venezuela> Life is defined as living in Venezuela, the land of beautiful women:-) Yes, this is José from Venezuela!
[17:18] <ag24> OK I will repeat - give me a moment. (it showed fine on my window!)
[17:18] <kevin> heh.. must be your Mac..
[17:18] * Guest1 has quit IRC (Quit: JWIRC applet)
[17:19] * Guest1 has joined #immortal
[17:19] <JayO> Please students out there -- fire away, no bad questions come from students.
[17:19] <LazLo> To bve fair to JayO I suggest taking personal conversations to sidebars please ;))
[17:19] <Elrond> Jay, how much do you think healthy human life can be extended within the next 40 years?
[17:19] <JayO> Take advantage of this moment to ask pointed questions -- that's what I'm here for.
[17:20] <JayO> Elrond -- I don't really know. Given our present technology, probably not much. I would argue the same about life expectancy as well.
[17:20] <Venezuela> JayO, you know that people in Vilcabamba, in nearby Ecuador, claim to live over 100 years of age. Do you believe it?
[17:21] <Jonesey> JayO looks like a bipartisan consensus is going to overrule Bush on stem cells, and his threatened veto also
[17:21] <Elrond> jay, so I take it you don't expect huge increases in biotechnology in this time?
[17:21] <LazLo> Jay what do you think is the likely sequence of technological advances that will lead to significant longevity and their chronology?
[17:21] <JayO> Veneauela -- I know of these stories, and many others. No, in most cases the people living in these areas do not have birth records or exaggerate their age. However, there are some documented hotspots for exceptional longevity in the world.
[17:21] <JayO> sorry about mis-spellings, i'm typing fast
[17:21] <Morrdaz> japan :)
[17:22] <Matt> jay, you say that people should not buy into the idea that in the 21st century we will achieve radical life extension. you compare todays efforts and predictions with those of people living 13th century and so on. I think we have a great deal more knowledge today and can make much more accurate predictions on where technology is going and how it will effect the human life span. Surely as time goes on and the more we learn, we could see or have an idea of
[17:22] * TylerE waves to Aubrey, noting he liked the copy AG wrote for Foresight
[17:22] <Nanogirl> JayO, where are these hot spots?
[17:22] <JayO> yes, Okinawa, Sardinia, Nova Scotia, and possible one island in China
[17:22] <ag24> OK - about to repaste the question to Jay
[17:22] <Nanogirl> Thank you
[17:23] <ag24> Let's take acre not to get too difuse here. Jay has already noted a number of points that emphasise his agreement with those here - especially that life is valuable for as long as it is healthy. So, let's avoid wasting time here on questions of desirability or terminology ("immortality"). Jay, you have consistently described my predictions of timescales for technological progress in postponing aging as unscientific, saying (
[17:23] <ag24> Did everyone get it this time?
[17:23] <Elrond> ag, part of your message was cut off
[17:23] <kevin> Jay.. our 'current' level of technology is dramatically dependent on the level of funding. Do you think that our current rate of progress in science could lead to healthy life-extension in 25 years with appropriately directed funding?
[17:23] <ag24> elrond - OK I will chop it up
[17:23] <JayO> only part of it aubrey
[17:23] <TylerE> Cut-off at "unscientific, saying (..."
[17:24] <Elrond> there is a limit to the number of characters IRC will carry
[17:24] <JayO> please let Aubrey provide his complete question, and I will provide a complete answer
[17:24] <ag24> Let's take acre not to get too difuse here. Jay has already noted a number of points that emphasise his agreement with those here - especially that life is valuable for as long as it is healthy. So, let's avoid wasting time here on questions of desirability
[17:24] <ag24> ack
[17:24] <ag24> Let's take acre not to get too difuse here. Jay has already noted a number of points that emphasise his agreement with those here - especially that life is valuable for as long as it is healthy. So, let's avoid wasting time here on questions of desirability
[17:24] <LazLo> we got the admonishment but not the question Aubrey. Maybe delete the first part
[17:25] <ag24> or terminology ("immortality"). Jay, you have consistently described my predictions of timescales for technological progress in postponing aging as unscientific, saying (e.g.) that one can't talk about confidence intervals when there are no data. Yet,
[17:25] <ag24> you have maintained your claim that the first 150-year old was not alive by 2000. That claim would be falsified if, for example, by 2080 we develop rejuvenation therapies good enough to double the remaining lifespan of the most elite 80-year-olds - those
[17:25] <ag24> who would anyway live to 115 - since (150-80) is twice (115-80). My prediction is usually phrased in terms of the average 60-year-old but applies equally to elite
[17:25] <ag24> 80-year-olds: that we have a 50% chance of reaching this point (doubling of remaining lifespan) by 2030. Please could you explain why it is not legitimate to predict that a particular technological advance will probably happen by 25 years from now
[17:25] <ag24> but it *is* legitimate to predict that the same technological advance will probably *not* happen for at least three times that long?
[17:26] <JayO> are you done?
[17:26] <ag24> whew - that's it!
[17:26] <JayO> lol -- okay, here is my response. please be patient.
[17:26] <LazLo> :)
[17:26] <JayO> and I want to thank Aubrey for giving me this question in advance...
[17:26] <JayO> oops, can I cut and paste in here?
[17:27] <BJKlein> sure.. just small chunks
[17:27] <LazLo> portions like Aubrey did Jay
[17:27] <JayO> when I right click I get no paste option
[17:27] <LazLo> Not all browser formats support it though
[17:27] <Matt> ctrl and v .
[17:27] <Matt> in this box
[17:28] <JayO> The answer is simple. To begin with, I did not say that the first 150-year old was not alive in 2000.
[17:28] <JayO> If I had, I would of course been correct since there was no one documented to have been 150 years old in the year 2000.
[17:28] <JayO> What I said was that there is unlikely to be anyone alive in the year 2000 who will still be alive in the year 2150.
[17:28] <JayO> The reason was not because there wouldn’t be a technological breakthrough to slow aging, for both Steve Austad and I said there would be.
[17:28] <JayO> I said it is unlikely to yield a 150-year old person because such a technology would have to find it’s way to the right person or persons who already possess an extreme longevity phenotype (which is rare);
[17:29] <JayO> that person would have to avoid an extrinsic death for 150 years; and it would have to reverse accumulated damage in a person who probably would not benefit from such a technological breakthrough until they already reached mid or late life.
[17:29] <JayO> With this statement I am not setting forth research hypotheses nor have I generated statistics – I have merely made an argument and stated the rationale to support it.
[17:29] <JayO> By contrast, you have outlined 7 interventions that, if successfully developed, WILL yield a population with a life expectancy of 1000+ years.
[17:29] * Lucifer is away - possibly working
[17:29] <JayO> The problem is not with the 7 interventions – what you have done there is exactly what any good scientist has done – set forth a series of hypotheses and challenged the world of aging to test them.
[17:29] <Jonesey> JayO put your money where your mouth is, bequeath your vast estate to whomever makes it to 150 before the year 2150, born on or before 2000. or better yet limit it to me
[17:30] <JayO> I applaud this, but it is when you go beyond this that our approaches depart. The unscientific element of what you have done is state unambiguously that THESE ARE THE 7 INTERVENTIONS THAT WILL WORK (before the science is in to determine whether this is true);
[17:30] <JayO> you provide the years in which the interventions will be developed (before the science is in to determine whether this is true – the years you provide are made up); you predict what the outcome of the interventions will be in terms of their effects on life expectancy (before the science is in to determine whether this is true –
[17:30] <JayO> the outcome numbers are made up); and you then provide confidence intervals around your estimates (which certainly cannot be done in the absence of any statistics – and the confidence intervals are made up).
[17:30] <JayO> Aubrey, as I’ve said before my friend, scientists do not state the results of their experiments until the results are in; they do not declare the year in which the experimental results that haven’t been developed or tested will have an impact on the population;
[17:31] <JayO> and they do not ever make up statistics in order to give a false impression of precision as you have done with these confidence intervals.
[17:31] <JayO> that's it
[17:31] <JayO> whew
[17:31] <BJKlein> heh
[17:32] <Morrdaz> all that cant work without changing society and way of life though... right?
[17:32] <Elrond> Jay, Given that you acknowledge that extending healthy lifespan is desirable. And given that the rate of this progress is largely limited by funding. Don’t you think your highly negative predictions in this area hurt the chances for future success through your very public views which can be referenced as reasons not to fund these areas of research?
[17:32] <Morrdaz> (considering fast food, stress... )
[17:32] <ag24> Thanks Jay. Now, ladies and gentlemen, please refer back to my question. I said "probably", and I said that Jay said "probably". No "will" anywhere. That's the main problem I have with Jay's answer.
[17:33] <JayO> Aubrey, I'm referring to your manuscript where you language is unambiguous.
[17:33] <JayO> Which negative predictions Elrond -- I'm pushing for the same research intended to extend life as you. I just don't hold up immortality as the goal.
[17:34] <Elrond> Immortality or healthy life extension, it really is only semantics
[17:34] <Venezuela> JayO, but you wrote before that Immortality is a good philosophy or vision, dind't you?
[17:34] <BJKlein> not really... if death = oblivion
[17:34] <ag24> Jay - yes, unambiguous about probabilities. What are confidence intervals, if not statements of "probably"?
[17:35] <Nanogirl> I want specifically, immortality. So for me while there is a relationship, there is a difference.
[17:35] <kevin> Jay, if there is a non-zero chance that the suffering of aging can be eliminated via proper application of funding and human intellect, and that is something I think you can see happening *eventually*, then it is encumbent to, with all measured speed, do so. It is not a subject for negativism in my opinion.
[17:35] <JayO> no, absolutely not, it is not semantics. If you go to the Senate as request funds for immortality, they'll laugh you out of the chamber. If you ask for funds to extend healthy life you're dealing with an issue that is realistically achievable and measurable.
[17:35] <Matt> Many people are selfish, if you say say that life extension is maybe 100-200 years away then I'm sure that would effect funding right? Because why should they ( the public ) care if its not going to benifit them? A lot of people won't be bothered
[17:36] <JayO> Kevin -- I have not yet seen published an adequate justification for life extension. I'm doing this in a forthcoming manuscript. Not even my friend Aubrey provides adequate justification in my view. Having said that, I absolutely agree that finding ways to delay aging is critical.
[17:36] <Elrond> Jay, you are correct in regards to the current political climate. But the goals of each are the same. That is, push death away. Immortality takes it a step further, but it is the logical continuation of healthy life extension
[17:37] <kevin> Jay said "finding ways to delay aging is critical". thanks Jay.
[17:37] <JayO> Aubrey, confidence intervals require statistics, period.
[17:38] <Elrond> as I'm sure aubrey will readily state himself, achieving his 7 goals 100% will not yeild immortality. What it will yeild is escape velocity
[17:38] <JayO> How do you know that Elrond? You hypothesize that it will achieve escape velocity. Language is important here.
[17:38] <ag24> Jay - you still haven't answered my initial queston: namely, how isd your bet with Steve not a statement of confidence (>50%) in a particular scenario?
[17:39] <JayO> What I would like to see is an empirical test of Aubrey's hypotheses. Either he's right or wrong, or partially right, but they should be tested. However, prior to such tests it is inappropriate tostate the results, the time frame for the results, or the consequences.
[17:39] <Venezuela> Aubrey, forgive my ignorance, but what is exactly the bet with Steve?
[17:39] <Elrond> you are correct. That is a hypothesis I believe will be proven true for a significant percenage in a post sens enviroment
[17:40] <ag24> Ven - the bet is whether the first person to live to 150 was already born by 200.
[17:40] <ag24> sorry - 2000!
[17:40] * reedspacer has quit IRC (Client closed connection)
[17:40] <LazLo> and how do you collect?
[17:40] <JayO> That's fine to believe to be proven true. However, scientific hypotheses need to be tested without bias. My bet with Steve involves the question of whether anyone alive in the year 2000 will still be alive in the year 2150.
[17:41] * TylerE has left #immortal
[17:41] <Elrond> jay has to lose in order for the bet to have meaning ;)
[17:41] * reedspacer has joined #immortal
[17:41] <JayO> by the way, my daughter wants to live to 150. I told her if she does so she loses the money. :-)
[17:42] <BJKlein> LOL!
[17:42] <Morrdaz> maybe she should think about 149
[17:42] <ag24> Jay - are you trying to argue that your bet is legitimate because it is "not a scientific hypothesis" whereas my predictions are illegitimate because they are scientific hypotheses? If so, I think we are close to understanding the problem...
[17:42] * deegozzz has joined #immortal
[17:43] <JayO> I have not stated scientific hypotheses. You have, with very specific predictions. The problem is not with the hypotheses, it's with the predictions.
[17:43] <ag24> Jay - so, are you saying that your bet with Steve is not a prediction? Yes or no?!
[17:44] <JayO> not the way you are providing predictions about the timing with which scientific advances will occur, the length of life to be achieved, and confidence intervals around the predictions. no, they are not even close to being the same thing.
[17:46] <ag24> Jay - this is great progress. Please elaborate. To me, saying that X will happen in Y years and saying that X will not happen in 3Y years are very similar indeed. I think everyone here would value your explanation of how they differ.
[17:46] <Venezuela> JayO, I think that Aubrey has a point, and that your "predictions" are also "predictions", as you say yourself, but to differente drgrees:-)
[17:48] <JayO> Aubrey, let's be clear. You state that your 7 "changes" will fix aging; you provide the years the advances will occur; and you provide actual confidence intervals for each to be achieved. You must acknowledge that these numbers could out of thin air -- it is not science. That is what I've said in the past with regard to these predictions. That doesn't mean we should pursue them. It just means we neither you nor anyone else can declare
[17:49] <kevin> Jay.. Aubrey makes predictions which are specific but still liable to modification as he hast stated many times. His views are based on current trends and a deep knowledge of progress in many fields. Views based on historical data gathered when the rate of discovery was magnitudes less can no longer be consider useful and are even harmful when it comes to predicting the future.
[17:49] <JayO> That doesn't mean we should not pursue them -- we should.
[17:49] * Morrdaz has quit IRC (Quit: )
[17:49] <Elrond> Aubrey seems to think that making predictions is possible. We do have models to base these predictions on. Namely the rate of scientific progress in the various areas that would be required. Aubrey seems to believe he as a pretty good handle on likely rates of progress in these areas, and likely social phenomena which could influence these rates.
[17:49] <Elrond> Jay seems to think that we cannot make predictions about things that are in the future without specific data on those precise things (which don’t exist yet, other than as extrapolations from things we have right now)
[17:49] <Elrond> is this a correct analysis of the two view points?
[17:50] <kevin> Jay says "show me the money"
[17:50] <JayO> I've heard this argument before that technology is progressing exponentially. I would remind you that during the most rapid progress in such technology, the rise in life expectancy in the U.S. has either stagnated or decelerated.
[17:51] <kevin> Again.. Jay... your frames of reference are no longer valid. With the current technological capabilities we are gaining.. it really doesn't make sense to talk about drawing lines through data points obtained prior to the 1990's even.
[17:51] <Elrond> that's true, but we are only just now entering a new age of rapid progress in biotechnology
[17:51] <JayO> Translating rates of progression in technology into effects on life expectancy for a population is a tricky business. i've been involved with forecasting life expectancy for 20 years and I still believe we shouldn't be making forecasts for more than 25 years into the future given the great uncertainty.
[17:51] <LazLo> If my children are alive in 2150 can they collect from your estate or is it only Aubrey's estate that can collect if a proven survivor shows up?
[17:52] * kevin laughs at Laz
[17:52] <JayO> the money will go to my surviving relatives when I win, to Steve's relatives if he wins.
[17:52] <ag24> Jay - you just said "neither you (Aubrey) nor anyone else can declare". Please answer the question: in what way are you not "declaring" by your bet with Steve, your assertion that no one born by 2000 will live to 150?
[17:52] <JayO> in the absence of relatives, it will go to our respective Universities.
[17:52] <LazLo> ;)) Oh so we do all the work and someone else gets the money. Typical :(
[17:53] <JayO> Aubrey -- you're having plenty of fun with our bet to be sure, but you're avoiding the point -- and that is you are declaring the results of scientific experiments before the experiments are conducted.
[17:53] <Matt> As I said earlier, predictions based on studying trends not totally out of the air. To say to people " we can achieve this soon and it might be in 25 years with good funding " gives people a more clear goal that it could be them that gets to immortality or this period of life extension. People are selfish and not everyone are like the example aubrey gives with the 9/11 guys
[17:54] <kevin> Jay.. Aubrey is NOT declaring the results of experiments... he is talking probabilities. Entirely different!
[17:54] <LazLo> Kennedy put men on the moon but didn' live to see it. Some predictins are scientifically feasible
[17:54] <ag24> Jay - I repleat: itmseems to me that you are declaring the results of those same experiments.
[17:54] <JayO> Matt -- trends in technology is one thing, translating that into changes in life expectancy is an entirely different matter. Have any of you ever worked with a life table? It is the statistics of the life table that will have to change radically in order to achieve the numbers we're talking about here.
[17:54] <Elrond> well folks, it's been very interesting so for, and I'll be sure to read the log of the rest, but I have a flight lesson soon so I must be off
[17:54] <BJKlein> Jay, what is your opinion of cryonics?
[17:54] <JayO> It's a cold science?
[17:55] <BJKlein> burr
[17:55] <BJKlein> think it'll work?
[17:55] <ag24> Kevin - you have it the wrong way around - we are BOTH declaring (probabilistically) the results - it's just that Jay is refusing to acccept that he's doing so.
[17:55] <JayO> I don't know much about it except what I've read at the site of the institute. I listened to the fellow from that Institute at Aubrey's meeting, and the only thing that came to mind was the suggestion that he try freezing and thawing himself now to demonstrate efficacy.
[17:55] * kevin understands that..
[17:56] <LazLo> Now that was cold
[17:56] <JayO> Has anyone ever been frozen and thawed yet, and lived to tell about it?
[17:56] <kevin> Jay is making predictions as much as Aubrey.. just the other way around.. and with history on his side... an old and outdated history.
[17:56] <BJKlein> Do you think technology will be developed to reanimate people frozen in liquid nitrogen?
[17:57] <JayO> I don't know Kevin -- outside of my area.
[17:58] <JayO> Kevin -- the difference between our predictions is like night and day. I provide no statistics, no confidence intervals, nothing of that sort. The question is, and you haven't answered it yet, is whether it is proper science to declare the results of experiments before the experiments are conducted?
[17:59] <Venezuela> JayO, are you aware of transhumanism? We are holding the next World Conference in beautiful Venezuela are you are welcome to accompany of the transhumanists, including the President of the American Cryonics Society!
[18:00] <JayO> Thank you Venezuela -- that is the nicest invitation I've had in a long time. When is the meeting?
[18:00] <kevin> Jay I did answer... Aubrey is providing GROSS predictions based on trends observed by someone who has a deep knowledge of a variety of fields. People have always made predictions. Positive predictions in teh War on Cancer were many and wrong... but progress was made. Why is this any different?
[18:00] <ag24> Jay - answer the question ....
[18:00] <Venezuela> July 22-24, and we will go scuba diving afterwards :-)
[18:01] <Guest1> Jay's view of life extension compared to Aubrey's equals the hard scientific attitude versus the engineering approach to that problem.
[18:02] <JayO> GROSS predictions. There is nothing gross about specific years, specific confidence intervals, and specific outcomes in terms of years gained. All three are coming before the research is in. I'm not quite sure what "deep knowledge" means, but this surely cannot include knowledge of the results of science that has not been conducted.
[18:02] <JayO> If it's this July I can't go -- I coach my son's baseball team. But thanks anyway.
[18:02] <ag24> Jay - is "2150" specific or not? Is "150 years old" specif c or not?
[18:03] <JayO> The 150 comes from Steve's prediction in Scientific American that life expectancy could rise to 150. That's where the number came from.
[18:03] <Venezuela> JayO, sorry you will miss scuba diving since Sir Arthur C. Clarke said it is the most transhumanist activity that we can experience now on Earth. BTW, Sir ACC believes that immortality will happen by 2010 at the latest!!!
[18:04] <JayO> I called Steve and asked him, "did you really mean life expectancy?" You surely must mean maximum lifespan. He agreed that the reporter got it wrong.
[18:04] <ag24> Jay - but you were the one who instigated the bet ... either you disputed Steve's prediction or you didn't.
[18:04] <Venezuela> JayO, do you believe that ACC is making a wrong prediction forecasting immortality by 2100? Many of his predictions have been interesting, to say the least!
[18:05] <JayO> Aubrey -- the best came from my conversating with Steve based on his Scientific American interview. That's also why each of us put 150 dollars into the accounts, and why 150 years must pass before we know the answer. There is no magic to the 150.
[18:05] <JayO> Venezuela -- predicting immortality by 2100 is interesting -- why not 2050? Where does the number come from?
[18:06] <JayO> oh boy, my typing is getting worse.
[18:06] <ag24> Heh - if you really think that 150 years must pass before we know the answer, you REALLY haven't thought it through -- quite clearly 2150 is the latest time we will know it, not the earliest...
[18:07] <Venezuela> ACC predicted many things in his famous book "Profiles of the Future" in the late 1950. The last pages have incredible predictions, and he has been on spot on many of those. I interviewed him last year in Sri Lanka, and he also plans to celebrate his 100 anniversay in space in 2017!
[18:07] <JayO> correct -- that came up in our bet. My daughter could mess things up if she lives to 150, she was born in 1984.
[18:07] <ag24> but I repeat - answer the question - is your bet a prediction just as much as mine, or not, and if not, why not?
[18:08] <BJKlein> So, it seems, Jay, you're OK with accepting death, eventually as what you remember before birth?
[18:08] <LazLo> Ok beyond the bet is there a sequence of techological developments that you consider to provide a critical synergy for radical life extension Jay?
[18:08] <Venezuela> JayO, on August 1-15, I will be in Chicago participating at the World Future Society Conference. I would love to meet you then? How do I contact you there?
[18:08] <kevin> Jay.. You have agreed that we will likely develop technologies to slow aging. You have said that it is critical to do so, yet you provide negative predictions which effectively retard their development.
[18:09] <BJKlein> Jay, also.. the official chat hour has passed.. thus, feel please free to stay as long as you wish.
[18:09] <JayO> Aubrey -- no, for the third time, they are not the same. I have no confidence intervals, no predictions about the effects of non-existent technologies on the life expectancy of a population, nothing of that sort. They are not the same. Now please tell me, is it appropriate to declare the results of scientific experiments before the science is conducted?
[18:09] <LazLo> Is it valid to define research objectives Jay?
[18:10] <ag24> Jay - yes, it is appropriate to declare PROBABILISTICALLY (as you and I do) the results of experiments before they are conducted.
[18:10] <Guest1> SENS is engineering, not pure science.
[18:10] <kevin> Jay, if it is possible that these technologies could be developed, and that specific predictions to timeframes would be helpful in bringing funding to a level which would accelerate their realization, would it not be better to work from a more optimistic stance?
[18:10] <JayO> No Keven. First, let me be crystal clear -- efforts to delay aging should move to the forefront of scientific research. you'll see a statement from me on this in a forthcoming issue of Discovery magazine. In fact, I would suggest that efforts to delay aging should move to the top of the priority list, but for reasons that I've explained in many of my publications -- it involves the forthcoming wave of frailty and disability that will occ
[18:12] <LazLo> Aren't such probabilistic parameters part of the predictive elements of any hypothesis being tested? Isn' that one reason it is said that the scientific method yields results from both success AND failure?
[18:12] <ag24> Jay - you mention confidence intervals a lot. Do you mean that you have problems with my saying that robust human rejuvenation will occur between 20 and (indefinite) years from now with 95% probability but you have no problem with my saying that it will happen 25 years from now with 50% probability? Please reply precisely...
[18:12] <JayO> I'm not sure what optimistic stance you have in mind. I've stated many times that efforts to delay aging are critical, and that probably will happen in our lifetimes, and that it should be vigorously pursued. What is negative about that?
[18:13] <kevin> Jay.. I KNOW you are not as negative as some media make you out to be. BUT.. there you have it, they do.
[18:14] <Guest> it sounds more realistic then negative
[18:14] <JayO> Aubrey -- I'm referring to your extrapaholics article in which you state the following: "- RMR with focused funding of $100m/year: estimate 2012, 95% confidence range 2010-2020;
[18:14] <ag24> RMR = ropbust mouse rejuvenation, for those who don't know
[18:15] <kevin> Guest.. What is *realistic* is that technology is acclerating faster than todays *realistic* predictions can handle.
[18:15] * Lucifer is back.
[18:15] <ag24> jay - yes - what re that?
[18:15] <JayO> yes guest, I consider it realistic, not negative. Our recent work on childhood obesity is intended to wake up the U.S. population to the fact that our younger generation is in peril. That might be considered negative, but our goal is to make the problem go away, not emphasize it.
[18:16] * John has joined #immortal
[18:16] <John> Is it over?
[18:16] <JayO> Aubrey -- the problem is with the 95% confidence range phrase. This phrase does not appear in scientific articles without statistics. There are no statistics in this article.
[18:17] <JayO> Where did these numbers come from?
[18:17] <ag24> Jay - OK, so I repeat, would you have been OK with my statement about 2015 if it had not been accompanied by my statement about 2010-2020?
[18:18] * Nanogirl has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[18:18] * Kraemahz has joined #immortal
[18:18] <ag24> sorry - 2012, not 2015
[18:19] <JayO> I would not have put it in the language of statistics and science -- there are no statistics.
[18:19] <kevin> Jay.. the problem of obesity does not have the psychological baggage of aging. They are fundamentally different in people's minds. If you want to really make a difference in waking up people to the peril of aging and its social consequence, you need to offer them a way out that they can understand.
[18:19] <ag24> Aha - I think we are closing in ..... So, eactly what probability would you put on the survival of someone born by 2000 to age 150? A range will suffice....
[18:20] <JayO> I agree Kevin -- and I don't think dangling immortality is a concept that anyone can understand. It's hard to get your mind around living forever, although authors and movie makers have tried to do so for hundreds of years.
[18:20] <Guest1> Jay , what would be good ways to get the general population to support human life extension?
[18:21] <LazLo> Not to mention priests, poets and mystics for thousands of years
[18:21] <kevin> Jay.. some people do understand the idea of the pursuit of physical immortality as a philosophical approach to living.. but very few.
[18:21] * TylerE has joined #immortal
[18:22] <JayO> Guest 1 -- I think if we can convince people that if we do not succeed in slowing aging, then they and their children are likely to face a possible extension of unhealthy years, and that health care costs will skyrocket, then we're on the right track. In my hundreds of discussions with people over age 85, all they want is health. This is an excellent question.
[18:22] <Guest1> Thanks
[18:22] <JayO> Remember, population aging really hasn't hit yet -- it will hit in 2011, so we haven't even faced the real increase in frailty and disability that is forthcoming.
[18:23] <JayO> When it hits, it will be very noticable, and I feel strongly that we must find ways to slow aging in order to postpone/delay the health problems associated with growing older.
[18:24] <Venezuela> Dear friends, I have to go but I welcome you all to TransVision 2005 in Venezuela: www.transhumanismo.org/tv05
[18:24] <JayO> By the way, for those interested, the rise in life expectancy in Okinawa, Japan has decelerated recently, primarily as a result of obesity at younger ages.
[18:24] <kevin> Jay.. do you think a child with the technology that is developing (artificial hearts/bioarticial organs/stem cells/gene therapy etc etc) who was born in 2000 will have the possibility of hitting 150.. ?
[18:26] <JayO> The only way I see someone born in 2000 or before living to 150 is with some dramatic technological advance, and even then it will have to get into the hands of someone who already has a high probability of living past the century mark. If anyone read my bet with Steve, they would find that we both agreed on this very point.
[18:27] <kevin> Jay.. would you not consider the possibility of 'dramatic' technological advances to be high in the next few decades.. perhaps extremely high?
[18:28] <JayO> yes, it is always possible. I don't think anyone can put a figure on when such a technological breakthrough will occur or it's impact on life expectancy or maximum lifespan.
[18:29] <ag24> Does your bet not put a figure on that?
[18:29] <JayO> I can stay for 10 more minutes, then I have to help my son with his homework.
[18:29] <kevin> no question from a student doing homework is a bad question.
[18:30] * Elrond has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[18:30] <Guest1> Jay, what is the next big step in all this life extension business?
[18:31] <JayO> Aubrey -- you keep harping on this bet as if it has some magical meaning. The issue I have is with your confidence intervals without statistics. If you ask me whether I think such a technological breakthrough will occur in the next 20 years, my answer is no.
[18:31] * TylerE has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[18:32] <kevin> Jay.. I agree.. without funding.. within 20 years is doubtful.
[18:32] <John> Jay, your comments give me the impression that when this technological advance will happen is entirely outside of our control, But if we invest 100 billion $ into an aggressive age-retardation research program, would the likelihood of saving people born before 2000 increase substantially? How does your position address that contingency?
[18:33] <ag24> Jay - I keep harping on about the bet because you keep standing by it and it is the best example of your actual (as opposed to conditional) pessimism about progress. Your bet implies, as my question sent to you yesterday stressed, that
[18:33] <JayO> Guest 1 -- good question. I think the current work on studying the genes of centenarians and supercentenarians will prove extremely valuable in identifying alleles associated with protection from disease (and possibly slower aging). I think ongoing research comparing mammals that have vastly different lifespans may lead us to understand more about why such variation exists, with perhaps an intervention down the line. There is much exciti
[18:34] <ag24> you not only think the necessary technological progress won't happen in 20 years - you think it won't happen in 70 years, and you're willing to say so. I merely point out that it is thus hypocritical of you to say that I am not entitled to make the cnverse prediction.
[18:35] <JayO> John : Good question. If such a dramatic technological breakthrough occurs lets say in 2030, my daughter will be 46 years old -- with 46 years worth of accumulated damage. It might be far easier to prevent damage than reverse it -- I'm just not convinced that we can take someone who has already lived a half century and extend their life by 100 years. I'd love to see it.
[18:36] <JayO> one last question my friends
[18:36] <JayO> excuse me, my immortal friends
[18:37] <JayO> okay, then I'll ask the question
[18:37] <kevin> ;)
[18:37] <Guest1> What question should we ask???!!!
[18:37] <JayO> I see 25 people in this room. Please type "yes" if you think you will be immortal.
[18:37] <BJKlein> YES
[18:38] <Matt> yes
[18:38] <BJKlein> I am Immortal
[18:38] <BJKlein> until i die
[18:38] <JayO> 2 out of 25? am I reading this correctly?
[18:38] <kevin> yes.. Jay..
[18:38] <LazLo> Yes Of course I am
[18:39] <BJKlein> but i never plan to die.. i plan to do everything possible to stay alive forever
[18:39] <John> Jay, I think most of us want to reach escape velocity. Immortality is a high standard. :)
[18:39] <JayO> and what do you say about this statistic -- 3/25
[18:39] <LazLo> Half of those folks need to be reincarnated from time to time, well at least reanimated ;))
[18:39] <kevin> biological 'immortality' will be a start.
[18:39] <Kraemahz> If that were rephrased to "indefinitely life span" I'd say yes.
[18:39] <kevin> Jay.. you can only get to immortality one day a time.
[18:40] <LazLo> Kev isn' that where this chat began?
[18:40] <kevin> heh
[18:40] <Matt> I think escaping the death of the universe is going to be significantly hard tho =/
[18:41] <BJKlein> Jay, if your daughter is in good health at 149, you would not ask her to die, right?
[18:41] <mrfesta2> yes
[18:41] <Matt> but I guess there is plenty of time to work on that
[18:41] <kevin> Jay... Thanks for stopping by.. best wishes and luck with the homework.. hope it isn't to hard for you
[18:41] <JayO> Kevin et al., it's been a pleasure. If you go to the back of my book, you'll discover what I discovered -- to live one day at a time. That is why I spend time with my children. That is why I make time for wife and family. That is why I exercise and try and eat right, because each day is precious, and I want each one to be healthy. I didn't really know what our final message about would be when we wrote our book, but it ended up being a
[18:41] <Matt> Interesting chat Jay! Hope another chat can be arranged sometime in the future!
[18:41] <John> thanks Jay! maybe you can come again some time. :)
[18:42] <JayO> take care, and keep an eye open for the Discovery Magazine blurb in August.
[18:42] <BJKlein> Thanks for joining us, Jay. Perhaps keep in mind our Conference in Atlanta Nov 5.
[18:42] <LazLo> Thank you for coming and I hope you consider our forum your forum
[18:42] <JayO> will do
[18:42] * JayO has quit IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[18:42] <kevin> great chat all
[18:43] <ag24> must go now too - bye all
[18:43] <Guest1> 21/25 need to be reprogammed
[18:43] <kevin> good nit aubrey.
[18:43] <Matt> yeah!. he wasn't as bad as some of the media portray him to be
[18:43] <BJKlein> seya aubrey
[18:43] <LazLo> thank you as well Aubrey I always value your contributions
[18:43] <kevin> I've met him and he's a real down to earth person. Just on the wrong side of the fence in this issue.
[18:44] * kevin is going to watch Star Wars II
[18:44] <kevin> ciao all
[18:44] * kevin is now known as kevin-away
[18:44] <Matt> c ya .
[18:45] <LazLo> may the farce be with y'all

• Lurker

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:08 PM

[17:01] <BJKlein> Jay, so why are you picking on us?
[17:01] <JayO> because I want you to succeed.

#34 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:58 PM

Prometheus et al.: The chat last night was quite enjoyable. Open debate like that is ideal in my view, and I really appreciate Aubrey and others staying up late into the night to participate. A couple of points are worth noting.

Cosmos: I always have been on your side, although I would not encourage the use of immortality as a target -- I honestly believe that it is a mistake and it alienates researchers trying to generate the small incremental steps required to approach the more modest and realistic goal of understanding and slowing down the aging process. In my view, using immortality as the target is like saying let's develop new flight technology to make faster planes so we can eventually travel faster than the speed of light in order to explore the outer edges of the universe. We may very well want to do the latter, but to get there the goal is to begin by generating the technology that will allow planes to fly faster. The scientists actually in the trenches have more immediate goals in mind. I thought Marc Geddes stated it perfectly in an earlier post when he said these ideas should be presented as a philosophy or vision rather than a goal for scientists now working in the trenches to paste on the wall as their target. Also, the argument that we're only a few years and several hundred million dollars away from achieving immortality is also harmful in my view. This relates to the point made by Darauch earlier -- he seems to believe (without evidence) that we have a good idea what causes aging, and if only we can fix all of these things, aging will disappear, and that nanotechnology will eventually fix everything. We thought we knew everything about cancer in the 1970s, which is why a war against this disease was declared. Even though we're much further along in understanding cancer and how to treat it, it remains the second leading cause of death (first in some parts of the world). Aging is likely to be orders of magnitude more complex than cancer, in spite of some telling us that it's a simple matter to solve if we only fix the following problems, and we're just scratching the surface in our understanding of the genome. The fact remains that no one yet knows the details of why aging occurs, no one yet knows whether the proposed interventions will work; no one yet knows whether nanotechnology will have any influence on aging; and no one yet knows how much longer we might live with advances in technology. There are plenty of people who make boastful claims, but until the science is in, such claims in my view should be held in check -- and when they are made, I think they are harmful to those who make them as well as to the science of aging community.

This is an exciting time in the field of aging, and there is every reason to be optimistic and hopeful that science will find a way to slow aging. I certainly keep notions of immortality, or at least much longer lifespans in the back of my mind as a Geddes vision, but in the forefront are the day-to-day battles required to get us there, and a I don't want to see anything interfere with this progress.

I look forward to another chat. There is a chance I can make the meeting in November.
S. Jay Olshansky

#35 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

There is a chance I can make the meeting in November.

Excellent.

• Lurker

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:20 PM

Jay, I do agree with Marc, but when we speak of immortality we do so to be unambiguous within this community. You would not approach scientists with the same language and tell them to make this reality. As you would not turn to the Wright Brothers and tell them to make interstellar travel a reality.

Right now aging is the focus, all else will probably follow.

This is an exciting time in the field of aging, and there is every reason to be optimistic and hopeful that science will find a way to slow aging. I certainly keep notions of immortality, or at least much longer lifespans in the back of my mind as a Geddes vision, but in the forefront are the day-to-day battles required to get us there, and a I don't want to see anything interfere with this progress.

Yes. At the same time, I'd like lay people to have a hint of what's happening within scientific circles. Without engendering overoptimism, they could provide much greater funding both public and private, to accelerate progress.

#37 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

Casanova The people on websites like these are Technophiles, TechnoZealots, and TechnoFundamentalists. The TechnoFundamantalism expressed on these websites is as bad as the Fundamantalism of religious fanatics.

I’m currently working on formally reconciling Seneca’s (et al.) Stoicism with technophilia. I believe it’s very possible and well worth the try.

#38 darauch

• 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:26 PM

Contrary to what JayO has been saying, stopping and reversing aging is possible. An argument of necessity to support this claim follows.

Aging is reducible to the behavior of molecules (1), and molecules can be manipulated (2). Claim (1) follows from the idea that humans are exclusively natural in composition (rather than supernatural), and claim (2) has been well established.

An understanding of our component molecules derives from progress in biomedical research.

The pace of biomedical research is largely dependent upon the price performance of computers. (For example, before the price performance of computers reached a certain level the human genome project would have been impossible.)

As price performance rises exponentially, the pace of biomedical research should rise as well.

This last premise leads to a trend in which biomedical research leads to more knowledge (concerning our component molecules) in the next x years than was obtained in the last x years.

Since we are composed of a finite number of molecules, not only will we eventually know everything about our component molecules, this knowledge will be realized sooner than if price performance of computers came to a halt, which has not happened.

Furthermore, advanced nanotechnology will be developed because it conforms to physics, and there is an economic incentive to develope it.

Advanced nanotechnology, in turn, will allow for the manipulation of our component molecules in vivo.

Thus, not only is it possible to stop and reverse aging, but it is envitable assuming current progress in technology continues. This is because (as shown above) such progess will translate to the complete knowledge of our component molecules, and the ability to manipulate these molecules.

Edited by darauch, 23 May 2005 - 10:30 PM.

#39 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:47 AM

Hi guys, sorry I missed out on this one. It seems that I got blocked by our uni firewall, should have tested this earlier ***!

JayO, thanks for sharing your views with us. Our goals are certainly similar. As for our means, I would like to get back to this question, by my namesake John:

John: 100 billion $ into an aggressive age-retardation research program, would the likelihood of saving people born before 2000 increase substantially?

JayO: Good question. If such a dramatic technological breakthrough occurs lets say in 2030, my daughter will be 46 years old -- with 46 years worth of accumulated damage. It might be far easier to prevent damage than reverse it -- I'm just not convinced that we can take someone who has already lived a half century and extend their life by 100 years. I'd love to see it.

From this I read quite a different conception of accumulating damage and aging than Aubrey, who believes that it is

not the case that reversing aging is necessarily all that much harder (or indeed any harder) than retarding it.

(from the credibility of SENS web page). If we had such a "war on aging" going, how do you think the goal of increasing healthy longevity would be / should be pursued, technically? If you were in charge of such a huge project as envisioned by John, what science would get funded?

#40 ellis2ca

• 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:49 AM

I missed the discussion, but after reading the logs, I am almost glad I missed it. You guys and I are on a totally different wavelength. Everything that you discuss is theoretical, you are all sitting and waiting for nanotechnology or perhaps the advances in genome medicine or something in the future to extend lifespan. Is
anybody doing something about trying to be immortal, or are you waiting for the
Government to find the cure to mortality?

Nobody or very few of you seems to be doing anything about applying the existing known therapies to try to reach age 150, or 130, or even 100, much less immortality.

My gripes with Prof. Olshansky is that he does not use ANY hormones, but he knocks them, and he scares people away from the best known and most practical anti aging therapy. He scares you by saying there are side effects, which aren't there or haven't appeared in thousands of persons taking correct doses of growth hormone, and he scares you by saying that it is ILLEGAL to use growth hormone for anti aging purposes.

"Off-label use of GH for anti-aging is illegal in the U.S., in spite of people claiming the contrary. "

False. I am not a Lawyer, but I will bet $10 to $1 that it is false. The F.D.A. has approved various brands of growth hormone for use in children and for Adult Growth Hormone Deficiency. After the F.D.A. has approved a medicine, it is up to DOCTORS to prescribe it, and they can prescribe it for unapproved uses, otherwise Medicine would stand still waiting for the F.D.A. to see if they can use it. Mr. Olshansky's motive in saying that it is ILLEGAL is to scare you away from using growth hormone, and I don't know why he thinks this way, but he does.

There are 14,000 doctors across the United States that disagree with him, and Life Extension Foundation disagrees with that statement, or else they are breaking the law and getting away with it, so which is it?

In any case, I am saying that you should not be frightened that if your doctor prescribes growth hormone for anti aging purposes it is illegal.

"Importing it into the U.S. from Mexico or other countries is also illegal."

False, again. You can buy growth hormone in Mexico, declare it at U.S. Customs when you come back to the United States, and you can pass without any problem. If an agent has doubt and calls the F.D.A., the F.D.A. tells them you can pass with your growth hormone. I know this is true because I know several different persons who have come to Mexico and I advise them to declare it when they go through U.S. Customs, and they have told me that they had no problem.

So... it is not true that it is "illegal" to import growth hormone into the U.S..

As for worrying about cancer, or acromegalia, or diabetes, or other side effects from taking growth hormone, let me tell you that you should cross that bridge when you get to it, if you get to it. There is no increase in the incidence of cancer, there are no cases of accidental acromegalia, and gentlemen, if you get diabetes, I don't care if you got it because growth hormone caused it as Mr. Olshansky warns it might, or if you got it because you have not eaten correctly for 50 years as I say it is, it doesn't matter what is the cause, TREAT your diabetes and get your glucose under control, and you will live as long or longer than a normal lifespan.

As for Don Spanton, who says that my statement to Mr. Olshansky "the only way you will ever know what the growth hormone experience is like is to try it yourself" is absurd, and who tells me "Please try to stick to a discussion of the data and leave the rhetoric at the door..." You, Don Spanton, perhaps think you can know about growth hormone from your extensive knowledge of the literature, as Mr. Olshansky also claims he does too... But... Mr. Olshansky has never tried any hormones, and I will think you have not taken any hormones or taken any blood tests either. So neither of you has felt or seen the results of 30 days of growth hormone, and I say you can't really understand it unless you try it.

Please don't talk down to me, because I speak from personal experience, having had more than 2000 doses of growth hormone and more than 4000 blood tests of all kinds, and I have had feedback from hundreds of doctors who are members of the American Academy of Anti Aging Medicine, and I have answered more han 9000 posts related to growth hormone and other anti aging therapies, which Mr. Olshansky says do not work. Maybe they don't work, but we sure do feel and look better than our age.

Which brings me to challenge Aubrey, and Mr. Olshansky, and Don Spanton, and everybody else in the ImmInst.org board who is not taking growth hormone... I challeng you to live as long as I intend to live, because I am taking growth hormone and other hormones. How about a bet?

You are seeking immortality, I am only seeking a very long and healhy life... Let's just see who lives longer. I am taking growth hormone, testosterone, and other hormones. I will bet I will live longer than anybody who is not taking growth hormone and or testosterone. We shold put this in writing, and fund it, like Mr. Olshansky did with somebody else. (I think Mr. Olshansky will win the bet, ie, I don't think even I will live to age 150... but I do think I might live past age 120, which today is about as long as anybody has ever lived)

And please don't misinterpret me, I do hope you will all live to 120 also... but I doubt that you will because you are not taking growth hormone and testosterone (or estrogen and progesterone.) So I advise anybody not to bet with me, and to take growth hormone and testosterone, but if you are decided that it is bad for you, then let's bet to see who makes the better choice.

- Ellis Toussier

So... I will bet with anybody who wants to accept the following bet: I, Ellis Toussier, age nearly 60, bet that I will live a longer natural life taking as many hormones as I want to take, than anybody who renounces to take growth hormone or testosterone during his or her life, or until a doctor diagnoses that you must take the hormone.

I will, in fact, give you 2 to 1 odds, which I shouldn't have to do because you think I am going to lose, but I will because I am very confident I will win. I will bet up to $100 against your $50, and I will accept up to 10 such bets... We will buy stock in a mutually agreed company on the American or New York Stock Market... and the winner or his heirs will receive the stock someday.

What an absurd statement. Its well known that traditional steroids make the user feel on top of the world, like they have the strength of ten men. This doesn't however mean that steroids lack deleterious side effects. The same goes for human growth hormone. It may make you "feel good", but this is irrelevant to discussions centered around life extension. Personal testimonials are unscientific IMO and of very little value. Please try to stick to a discussion of the data and leave the rhetoric at the door.

• Lurker

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:03 AM

Ellis, it's obvious that you feel strongly about this and I can completely symphathize with you because at one time I interpreted the data that I had available to me in a similar fashion and found myself in passionate debates with medical doctors wherever I could find them. The fact that at that time I looked like meataxe did not help my cause but I already had a biology degree under my belt so I had sufficient vocabulary to capture their attention. In time, however, and armed with a second, more advanced degree in genetics and a more serious approach to surveying and interpreting the literature it became apparent that not all was as it seemed, that GH was not the panacea I originally thought it was.

Even so, I have tried GH, IGF and the testosterone variants as well as other hormonal metabolic modulators so perhaps you may weigh my opinion differently to one who in your view is not as personally familiar with the experience of these hormones. I agree with you that hormonal supplementation may of benefit for some individuals - similarly with nutritional supplementation. Each of our metabolic and endocrinological profiles is as different as our faces. This is the reason why, for example, I detest the new trend of the medically lobotomising statistical approach of "evidence based medicine".

We are fortunately on the eve of the pharmacogenomic/genetic era when increasing numbers of medical doctors are becoming aware of the substantial difference in patient drug response and that will also, in time, become relevant from an endocrinological perspective. I look forward to the near future when a medical doctor can identify greater subtleties in individual patients and thus make better informed decisions.

Until this time people such as yourself who are outside of the mainstream medical perception can help bring awareness to the fundamental importance of individual pharmacogenomics or endocrinogenomics. But try not taint the value of your contributions with a tone that inspires emnity rather than further inquiry. We are grateful to have Dr. Olshansky contribute his time and knowledge in these forums (as we are of your unique insights and passion) so please take care to moderate the delivery of your views.

I, for one, am very interested in your experiences with GH - perhaps we can create a new topic to continue?

#42 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

I with Ellis 100%. I get the feeling (just a feeling) that JayO and Don S. are against GH and other hormones because they are "illegal" in some form. It is just like when people here the word "steroid" there is an immediate negative reaction. This happens because we have all been brainwashed by media reports over and over and over and over and over again that steroids are nothing but bad and people die from them. Any substance, when abused, will cause illness. I could kill myself with vitamin C if I took enough. Steroids are hormones/growth factors and there may be safe levels that people could use for anti-aging purposes, HOWEVER, there is such a negative stigma that hardly any research is going forward. Also, here in the U.S., Congress is trying to reach even farther into the realm of regulating supplements just in order to preserve Hank Aaron's home run record....PATHETIC!!! Don and JayO, my fear is that you are just feeding the regulation frenzy.

Another point about GH. Almost everyone who uses it heralds its effectiveness. I have seen people (in TV documentaries) with remarkable transformations in their outward appearance (I make no claim about internal biological markers). They look younger, stronger, and healthier.....and I think this bothers some people...like the GH users are cheating or something. Everyone here should be aware that every therapy that will be developed to counter aging, just for the sake of living longer (not for curing presently known diseases), will be frowned upon, regulated, or deemed illegal, unless we change some minds out there. And we are not going to change minds by dissing people who use GH.

JayO: We thought we knew everything about cancer in the 1970s, which is why a war against this disease was declared.

If you know anything about the war on cancer JayO, you know that the majority, scratch that, the vast majority of the money earmarked for cancer research (for about the first 20 years) went into a search for a cancer virus. The war on viruses from earlier in the 20th century was so successful that the public and politicians were easily swayed to the virus theory of cancer. The war was unsuccessful because of a faulty initial premise. Only recently (once the virus theory was mostly disregarded) have new and innovative therapies helped survival rates of cancer patients.

#43 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

With regard to the issue of the effectiveness and legality of GH, I would direct your attention to the following articles:

S. Mitchell Harman and Marc R. Blackman Hormones and Supplements: Do They Work?: Use of Growth Hormone for Prevention or Treatment of Effects of Aging
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2004 59: B652-B658.

Neal R. Reisman Anti-Aging Medicine: The Legal Issues: Legal Issues Associated With the Current and Future Practice of Anti-Aging Medicine J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2004 59: B674-B681.

Thomas T. Perls Anti-Aging Medicine: The Legal Issues: Anti-Aging Quackery: Human Growth Hormone and Tricks of the Trade—More Dangerous Than Ever
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2004 59: B682-B691.

These are contained in a special issue of the Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences published in July of 2004 under the editorship of myself, Len Hayflick, and Tom Perls. All of the articles in the two special issues devoted to this topic are available through the Gerontological Society of American from the following website: http://www.geron.org/antiaging.htm in a book that we created on this topic. It's well worth reading since many of the issues raised by Ellis are covered (FYI - we make no profit on the book). The legal issues associated with GH in the U.S. are quite unique and given the discussion on this topic so far, it is certain that some are unfamiliar with the very unique laws that apply to the use of GH for non-approved uses.

There may very well be a place for GH in a general approach to treating some of the changes that occur in the body with the passage of time. I personally made this argument repeatedly. What we are suggesting is that this compound should await proper testing for safety and efficacy. To those who choose to place a biologically active compound in their body without knowing the full range of long-term (and sometimes short-term) health effects, that is a decision they are making for themselves, but it is in every conceivable way an experiment they are conducting on their own bodies. Some have suggested that they do not care to wait for the science to confirm what they already know to be true through personal experience. These words should sound familiar for they are the same words used by those who swore by Pfen-Pfen. If I do harbor a prejedice, it is on the side of caution in favor of protecting public health and safety. There are too many examples of other compounds sold and administered under off-label use with purported health benefits, only to find later once properly evaluated, that they can actually do harm or that they do not do what those selling it claim it does. Weighing the various health costs and benefits is part of the evaluation process.
S. Jay Olshansky

#44 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

To those who choose to place a biologically active compound in their body without knowing the full range of long-term (and sometimes short-term) health effects, that is a decision they are making for themselves, but it is in every conceivable way an experiment they are conducting on their own bodies.

Exactly Mind, Ellis -- if you want to use GH, please, be my guest. I am a strong supporter of personal liberties and believe that people should be able to do whatever they desire with their own bodies. However, when you are trying to convince me or others to use a questionable compound please make sure to include studies with double blind clinical trials, and leave your anecdotal personal experiences with GH at the door.

In the past I've read papers whose published results would make me extremely hesitant to try growth hormones (plus, Im in my 20's so there's really no need). Now, I'm not saying that I am an expert, or all that well read on GH, but I do believe that there are legitimate reasons to be cautious.

Again, I support granting the individual the freedom to use GH, but I also agree with Jay's assertion that people are effectively turning themselves into guinea pigs.

Edited by DonSpanton, 27 May 2005 - 11:27 PM.

#45 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

Okay, for starters, let's pretend that GH actually does have some anti-aging effect, one that will be vindicated in the next decade or two.

How big would such an effect be? A year, statistically speaking? Five? Consider for a moment what S. Jay's specialty is, at least as far as I'm aware: mortality rates.

If we cut mortality rates in half (starting at relevant ages, i.e. adulthood), we only add at most one MRDT (Mortality Rate Doubling Time). In humans, that's at most 10 years, and probably closer to 7-8 years. And remember, I said we add at most that much time. In actuality, halving mortality rates at all relevant ages might add 5-6 years.

Now call me a cynic, but GH will at most have such an effect, namely to cut mortality rates in half. Think back to resveratrol, the wonder drug of a few years ago. It was found to lower mortality rates by potentially 25%-45%. Yippee!! But wait, why do people only live on average 3-5 years longer? Well, it goes back to the MRDT. A 45% reduction in mortality rates is slightly less effective than halving those rates, and we've already seen how this adds at most 6 years.

The point is, even if GH miraculously works as well or slightly better than resveratrol, we're only going to see the same small gains. And that's the BEST CASE SCENARIO. More likely, it'll have a negligible effect, with health problems matching the health benefits. At worst, it'll actually subtract years.

Moreover, the point is: GH is a red herring!!! Adding 3-6 years will certainly save a lot of lives, in the best case scenario. But it's a far cry from the type of medicine that Dr. de Grey is pursuing. Medicine that will actually increase the MRDT itself, and/or dramatically reduce mortality rates at advanced ages (not by a mere 50%, but by 90%, or 95%, for example).

So let's keep our eye on the ball. GH, in the best case scenario (i.e. when pigs fly), is still just a red herring. Focus, people, focus.

Let's compare this to CR, which actually has a possibility of modulating the MRDT itself (as it has been shown to do in shorter-lived organisms). If you want something that's really anti-aging, and you're going to be a guinea pig (since S. Jay still considers CR experimental in humans), then try CR.

ellis2ca,

GH is not the end-all-be-all of anti-aging medicine. It's no more going to lead to immortality than certain rings peddled by a scam-artist lately. A small chance of 3-5 years is hardly worth getting yourself worked up over, and it's certainly not worth attacking S. Jay over. Move on. And if you want to debate S. Jay over something, I'd prod him on his position on CR. Leave GH alone. You're free to take it yourself (assuming it's legal, that is; see previous warnings by S. Jay), but you're naive to be getting so worked up over it.

#46 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

Thank you Jay(Fox) for putting this all into perspective. I completely agree.

#47 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:47 PM

Don: Again, I support granting the individual the freedom to use HGH, but I also agree with Jay's assertion that people are effectively turning themselves into guinea pigs.

Me too. That's my point.

Also, CR, resveratrol, HGH...etc, are the only current methods/supplements known to have significant observable anti-aging effects, while also being widely available. HGH is not on the same level as magnetic rings. Ellis is not Alex Chui. Ellis has no financial interest in promoting HGH. The only thing that is not known about HGH is the long term effect. The short term effects are all fabulous and obvious. Most of us here are too young (me) or too chicken (me again) to dive head first into currently available anti-aging therapies. Ellis should be applauded for his/her(?) experimental efforts.

For jaydfox. Let us stay strictly biological here (not get sidetracked into the realm of techno-utopia and nano). Let us say in the near future we effectively stop and reverse the age related damage in our bodies. I am thinking we will still need HGH and other hormones in order to "look" and "feel" young again. Our cells will only act young in the presence of a young person's hormone levels. Thus this early experimentation with hormone "supplements" may prove valuable.

Also, JayO, thanks for the papers and links.

#48 John Schloendorn

• 2,542 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:59 AM

Hey Sjayo, did you miss my question here? I know it's more difficult than hgh (because partially outside your field), but I'm a student [sfty].

I also have a question for our growth hormone advocate. Does it in any way disconcert you that mice deficient in one or the other component of the growth hormone signalling pathway, including growth hormone itself, live substantially longer than their litter mates [1]? How do you interpret these results?

• Lurker

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:35 AM

Ellis has no financial interest in promoting HGH.

This is not strictly correct... ;)

The only thing missing is a flashing siren...

Attached Files

#50 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

....My bet with Steve involves the question of whether anyone alive in the year 2000 will still be alive in the year 2150.

Hi Professor Olshansky,

Wonder if you would consider taking on another bet?

#51 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:26 PM

This is not strictly correct... wink.gif

The only thing missing is a flashing siren..

Ok, Ok. At least he didn't post a flashing siren here in the forums.

#52 John Schloendorn

• 2,542 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

To be fair, Ellis could still make money with this, if the advice was more critical. So it's not a completely direct sales interest yet. So do you sell it as well?

#53 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

(John Schloendorn)
Hey Sjayo, did you miss my question here? I know it's more difficult than hgh (because partially outside your field), but I'm a student [sfty].

I also have a question for our growth hormone advocate. Does it in any way disconcert you that mice deficient in one or the other component of the growth hormone signalling pathway, including growth hormone itself, live substantially longer than their litter mates [1]? How do you interpret these results?

S. Jay, I fixed the link John provided to his question:
http://www.imminst.o...t=38#entry61837

And for good measure, copied it:

Hi guys, sorry I missed out on this one. It seems that I got blocked by our uni firewall, should have tested this earlier ***!

JayO, thanks for sharing your views with us. Our goals are certainly similar. As for our means, I would like to get back to this question, by my namesake John:

John: 100 billion $ into an aggressive age-retardation research program, would the likelihood of saving people born before 2000 increase substantially?

JayO: Good question. If such a dramatic technological breakthrough occurs lets say in 2030, my daughter will be 46 years old -- with 46 years worth of accumulated damage. It might be far easier to prevent damage than reverse it -- I'm just not convinced that we can take someone who has already lived a half century and extend their life by 100 years. I'd love to see it.

From this I read quite a different conception of accumulating damage and aging than Aubrey, who believes that it is

not the case that reversing aging is necessarily all that much harder (or indeed any harder) than retarding it.

(from the credibility of SENS web page). If we had such a "war on aging" going, how do you think the goal of increasing healthy longevity would be / should be pursued, technically? If you were in charge of such a huge project as envisioned by John, what science would get funded?

#54 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:08 PM

Actually, one comment I'd like to add to the HGH debate. I'm not against people taking it. One thing that I think is important though, is that we respect what it means when S. Jay says that taking HGH is basically conducting an experiment. If not monitored by a doctor, any negative consequences of taking HGH may never get reported to the proper people, meaning that any problems will take longer before we find them. It's bad to conduct an experiment and not take careful notes along the way.

Take this in the proper context. I'm not saying that maybe we'll find a problem with HGH, and S. Jay will be vindicated for having warned you, and you'll essentially have been proven wrong. What I am saying is that we may eventually find problems that might have had simple preventive measures, but these problems, and hence the preventive measures, were not found because of the number of people taking HGH for off-label use and not being monitored by a doctor.

Let's talk anecdotes. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence for the health benefits of HGH, but not much in the way of long-term studies, i.e. hard science.

Well, here's an anecdote for you. My father started taking HGH just six months before his fatal heart attack. But you don't see me in here spouting how HGH causes an increased risk of heart disease. Why? Because it was just an anecdote. However, his usage wasn't being monitored by a doctor. Imagine if HGH really did cause heart problems, perhaps problems easily countered with (for example) CoQ10. If my father and tens or hundreds of thousands of people out there taking HGH were closely monitored by their doctors, then if increased heart disease risks are present, that would be detected statistically (assuming the doctor's do their jobs right, and assuming there is a central body for them to report such statistics to, which I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't).

I mean, as long as we're conducting an experiment, at least do it right. Don't just say that the establishment is trying to suppress something. If you're going to encourage people to take this stuff, make sure they know to be closely monitored by their doctors. And don't just put up a two-sentence disclaimer and call it a day because you covered your ass. Explain it, make them explain it back to you, so that you can feel safe that they understand not only the risks, but their responsibility in partaking in something experimental. I'm all for people being allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies. But rather than criminalize and ban things considered untested or unsafe, we should be attaching that extra responsibility: do what you want, but do so responsibly, and be monitored.

#55 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:19 PM

To Jaydfox: There is a considerable amount of GH being sold over the Internet, so it is not possible to track either the health status or longevity of those receiving it in this manner. It would be possible to conduct a retrospective study of patients receiving GH at anti-aging clinics, but the results are often confounded by the addition of exercise and dietary modification -- a problem that could be avoided with a prospective clinical trial and proper controls for counfounding variables. When I suggested just such a study to one of the main proponents of GH some time ago, he said that he had no money to conduct the study and thought it impossible for him to receive government funding to do so (which is probably true). The evidence so far indicates there are definite benefits associated with the use of GH, but there are also notable risks, and it is unclear to me whether everyone receiving GH has been made aware of such risks by those selling it. Once again, if GH is being sold in the U.S. over the internet or at clinics for anti-aging or sports enhancement, it is being done so illegally, so a clinical trial on these patients seems out of the question since the suppliers/physicians involved would be admitting that they distributed and administered GH illegally. Anecdotal evidence is not science, period.

To Dnamechanic, no thanks about the bet, but it seems to me that Ellis has set forth a rather simple challenge that someone should respond to.

To Jaydfox: On your other question, I would like to believe the statement that reversing aging isn't necessarily harder than retarding it, but that is nothing more than a statement -- there is no science to back it up. Conceptually, anything is possible -- providing empirical evidence to support such a statement is another matter entirely. With regard to what science should get funded -- that is quite complicated and would take more time than I have here. However, there are a number of scientists from around the world digging into the details of how we age, and they are slowly piecing together the puzzle. Huber Warner from NIA wrote a very nice piece in our special issue outlining the most fruitful pathways one might expect, and I would encourage you to read this. What I personally find fascinating is the great variation in longevity across mammals and the great variation in longevity within species such as humans. How can one mammal, with basically the same types of cells and physiology, live 77 times longer than another mammal? Discovering why this occurs seems fundamental to me.
S. Jay Olshansky

#56 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

How can one mammal, with basically the same types of cells and physiology, live 77 times longer than another mammal?

You know, that used to really fascinate me. But in studying ageing, and specifically cancer's role in aging (more specifically its indirect role, via tumor suppression methods, etc.), I've found something even more fascinating.

A human has about 10,000 times the mass of a mouse, and by extension, about 10,000 times as many cells, to within an order of magnitude. Throw in the 20-fold longer lifespan, and now you've got 200,000 times the cell-years in a human as in a mouse. Yet mice have a higher cancer incidence rate than humans in their mean lifespan. The cancer defense mechanisms already present in humans are completely astounding!

If someone were to study aging, having access only to small mammals of lifespans under 10 years and masses under 2kg, one might come to the conclusion that, given the tenacity of cancer, lifespans in mammals of 80 years would be impossible, especially in an organism of several tens of kilograms.

Yet here we are. And we come to the conclusion that lifespans of 200 years would be impossible in humans, or at the least, ridiculously difficult, yet they happen in whales that are probably almost a thousand times more massive than we are. So better cancer defenses clearly are possible in mammals. Whether such defenses are possible in humans is equivalent to asking if we can get mice to live 10 years, or cats to live 30.

Actually, I was looking for a reference on the whales, and found this article from Reason's weblog:
http://www.fightagin...ives/000384.php

Linking further, I found this quote over at lewrockwell.com:
http://www.lewrockwe...g5/walker4.html

Bowheads are big mammals. In fact they’re really big; they’re the third most massive of the whales. This makes their longevity extremely significant. All multicellular species have the problem of controlling cancer. The chance of a cell mutating into a cancer is proportional to the number of cells times the lifespan of the organism. So humans have more than a hundred thousand times the cancer-control capacity of a mouse. (And mice are really lousy cancer lab animals.) But Bowheads have to have a thousand times better cancer control than humans (five hundred times our weight times twice the lifespan). In the Bowhead, Nature has already proved that a body can be built that is a thousand times less susceptible to cancer than ours. An organism the size of a human being, using some Bowhead genes, might be able to live longer than recorded history.

While that last sentence makes a pretty hefty leap of logic, it still stands to reason that a human with the cancer defenses of a bowhead should live a LOT longer than humans do now.

Of course there are obvious barriers. A mouse probably couldn't survive well operating at the specific metabolic rate of a human. And humans probably have a hard time functioning at the SMR of a whale. But there's still lots of room for improvement, since a human's specific metabolism isn't 200,000 times slower than a mouse's, and a whale's specific metabolism isn't a thousand times slower than a human's.

#57 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:51 PM

Kind-of a catch 22 with GH. It would be great to do some studies. Too bad its illegal for some irrational arbitrary reason.

It could be saving and extending millions of lives but....there is no funding...because it is illegal.

#58 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:10 AM

I don't mind it being legal for off-label use, as long as it is monitored by a doctor. I suppose the first step in trying to make sure that there's at least a remote chance that a doctor is monitoring is to make it available by prescription only (probably currently the case?), but allow doctors the discretion to prescribe for off-label use. I guess I'd say that'd go for just about any medication. If people want to be guinea pigs, then fine, just do it with your doctor's consent, or at least his or her close monitoring.

Of course, in our current legal system, this would probably put the doctor at risk of lawsuits, which is probably only one of many hurdles to putting such a system in place...

#59 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:29 AM

jaydfox: Your insights about the differences in longevity and cancer risk across species is exactly what I find most fascinating about the interspecies research on aging that is ongoing. Most work is currently focused on shorter lived species and efforts to make them live longer. Although studying fruit flies, worms, and yeast is a fascinating and important piece of the puzzle, in my humble opinion, I think the answer (and future intervention) rests with discovering the biological/genetic origin of the very phenomenon you raise -- how a bowhead whale can live 77 times longer than a mouse -- and both are mammals.

On the GH issue, I hope to have more information to you in the near future -- my colleagues and I have a paper out for review. In the interim, I would encourage those interested to read the following excellent treatment of the risks and benefits associated with GH http://www.aace.com/...delines/hgh.pdf
S. Jay Olshansky

#60 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

S. Jay Olshansky,

Are you going to give the proceeds of your book to the MPrize? :)

Just curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users