- - - - -

Bupropion demyelination

bupropion myelin ms

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

According to the link below Bupropion has been linked to demyelination.

http://www.ispub.com...h.SgplwW7V.dpbs

This is pretty rare but an interesting incident. Any thoughts on possible mechanisms?

As a side Seroquel and Hyperforin (St. Johns Wort) apparently is good for myelination.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22555017
http://lib.bioinfo.pl/paper:21848657

Edited by valory5, 07 January 2013 - 01:31 AM.

• like x 1

#2 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Bupropion has anticholinergic properties, beware!

Edited by renfr, 07 January 2013 - 05:26 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Valor5

• Topic Starter
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

How is this revelant, sarcasm, indifference?

Edited by valory5, 07 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Valor5

• Topic Starter
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Anyway, one clue is Lhermitte's sign. Apparently this is the electric shock phenomenon experienced by people withdrawing from venlafaxine and paroxetine [1][2]. Another clue is the oligoclonal bodies that where found in the cerebral spinal fluid. This can be caused by many things, usually a tumor or infection, the least being multiple sclerosis [3].

#5 peakplasma

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Interesting. However, this case study is rather inconclusive.

The authors offer a specific immunogenic response as the culprit... and so I'm not sure this would extend to other SNRIs.

There was another thread posted today regarding AChE Inhibitors destroying myelin. As renfr pointed out Wellbutrin is known for its anticholinergic effects - perhaps there is something there?

Edited by peakplasma, 08 January 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#6 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Beware of what?

Are there long term studies showing bupripion to do long term damage, cognitively? My basic amateur experience with bupripion, is that it downregulates certain cholinergic receptors (nicotinic?) acutely, but then, with chronic use they upregulate.

Also, why is a anticholinergic mechanism a bad thing? How do you think the TCAs work? An anticholinergic mechanism is the only thing that works for some people who are chronically depressed, or treatment resistant.

I stay away from anything that is cholinergic. Jesus christ, they are the only things that actually make me think about suicide (that includes stuff like cordyceps, ecklonia cava, gingkoa and all other apparantly 'weak' AChEIs). It's all bullshit to me. The only thing that improves my cognition is a healthy lifestyle, and a healthy mindset (mental health managed by whatever it is required, drugs or not). Everyone else can jump on the acetylcholine bandwagon, if they think it's going to turn them into superman, or something.

Piracetam will not turn anybody into Albert Einstein. It ain't gonna happen. Screw putting my IQ up a couple of points, I'd rather be happy.

Edited by Thorsten2, 08 January 2013 - 10:37 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#7 Valor5

• Topic Starter
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Thanks renfr for the contribution I was not aware about the possible link between anticholinergics and demyelination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users