• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone here "cured" their Gray/Grey Hair or know of someone who has?

grey gray

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

I see gray hair as just a symptom of aging so I am hoping that the reversal of gray hair would be a definitive indication of anti-aging effects. I'm more interested in evidence of protocols/regimens reversing *aging* rather than a topical regimen that is focused on the gray hair itself.

Defining "aging" (and thus thereby also defining "anti-aging") can be a tricky problem. Attempting to reduce it down to one particular manifestation or biomarker (particularly macroscopic phenomena, such as grey hair) is questionable and fraught with both scientific and philosophical difficulties.

As far as I'm aware, grey hair is currently considered nothing more than a cosmetic issue with no further health implications per se. It might be categorised as a form of "social aging", in that it is simply associated in the minds of most people, with older chronological age, and thus its main impact is in the social rather than biological realm.

A possibly analogous situation would be the simplistic view that dwarves are chronologically young, since a small body is closely associated with children in the minds of most.

In the following study, neither grey hair, wrinkles or baldness were associated with increased mortality, so reversal of grey hair may not be a marker of widescale anti-aging:

1. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1998 Sep;53(5):M347-50.

Longevity and gray hair, baldness, facial wrinkles, and arcus senilis in 13,000
men and women: the Copenhagen City Heart Study.

Schnohr P(1), Nyboe J, Lange P, Jensen G.

Author information:
(1)Epidemiological Research Unit, National University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark.
PeterSchnohr@dadlnet.dk

BACKGROUND: We have previously reported that men who look older than their
contemporaries have a significantly higher risk for myocardial infarction. The
purpose of this study was to investigate whether persons with pronounced aging
signs such as graying of hair, baldness, or facial wrinkles are prone to a
shorter life span compared to their contemporaries.
METHODS: In the Copenhagen City Heart Study comprising a random sample of 20,000
men and women, we also recorded, in addition to cardiovascular risk factors, data
on signs of aging: extent of gray hair, baldness, facial wrinkles, and arcus
senilis (corneal arcus). During 16 years of follow-up, 3,939 persons (1,656 women
and 2,283 men) had died. The Cox regression model for proportional hazards, which
included age as an explanatory variable, was used for descriptive analysis of the
correlation between these aging signs and all-cause mortality.
RESULTS: We found no correlation between the mortality and the extent of graying
of the hair, or baldness or facial wrinkles in either of the sexes, irrespective
of age. A single exception was observed in a small subgroup of men with no gray
hair. They had a slightly, but significantly, lower mortality than the rest
[relative risk (RR) = .81, 95% confidence interval (CI) .67-.98; p < .05]. The
presence of arcus senilis was significantly correlated with a shorter life span
in women (RR = 1.25, 95% CI 1.08-1.46; p < .01). For men the same tendency was
found, but the correlation was not statistically significant.
CONCLUSION: We conclude that the degrees of graying of the hair, baldness, and
facial wrinkles are not predictive of a shorter life span in men and women in the
Copenhagen City Heart Study.

PMID: 9754140 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm....act&format=text

Scientific results can be counter-intuitive and contradictory to "common sense." It's possible that the common sense idea of connecting grey hair with the biological decline of aging may prove to be just such an error. The following study suggests, counter-intuitivel that (in wild boars) maintaining production of the pigment necessary for non-grey hair depletes a powerful intracellular antioxidant (glutathione.) Thus those boars with grey hair were less susceptible to oxidative stress than boars with coloured hair. Maybe greying hair is actually a good thing if it involves limited antioxidants being routed to defend more important areas of the body rather than being expended on mere hair pigmentation:

"...Most of the pigment in animal skin and hair is produced by chemicals called melanins. There are two kinds of melanins: eumelanin, which produces dark colors, and pheomelanin, which produces reddish or chestnut colors...production of pheomelanin consumes a chemical called glutathione (also known as GSH), which is a powerful intracellular antioxidant...

...boars with the highest levels of pheomelanin in their hair tended to have lower levels of GSH in their muscles, and had the highest levels of oxidative stress...

...As with human hair, wild boars show hair graying all across their body fur, Galván said. But we found that boars showing hair graying were actually those in prime condition and with the lowest levels of oxidative damage. Far from being a sign of age-related decline, hair graying seems to indicate good condition in wild boars...

...Given that all higher vertebrates, including humans, share the same types of melanins in skin, hair, and plumage, these results increase our scant current knowledge on the physiological consequences of pigmentation...

http://press.uchicag...7_RedBoars.html

Edited by Brett Black, 10 June 2014 - 04:18 AM.

• Disagree x 1

#32 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

As far as I'm aware, grey hair is currently considered nothing more than a cosmetic issue with no further health implications per se. It might be categorised as a form of "social aging", in that it is simply associated in the minds of most people, with older chronological age, and thus its main impact is in the social rather than biological realm.

In the following study, neither grey hair, wrinkles or baldness were associated with increased mortality, so reversal of grey hair may not be a marker of widescale anti-aging:

Keep in mind the following issues:

1.  Catalase is the enzyme that breaks up H2O2 and prevents hair from greying.  H2O2 (which bleaches hair in the follicle) has a negative effect in other parts of the body including cardiac damage.

2.  Upregulation of catalase is proven to extend life (including maximal lifespan) in mice.

There is probably a wide distribution of when people get grey hair.  And those getting grey hair early may not be at risk for certain illnesses in the first place.  But I think Catalase (and grey hair by extension) is pretty important, beyond cosmetics.  

Edited by prophets, 10 June 2014 - 04:21 AM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

Keep in mind the following issues:

1.  Catalase is the enzyme that breaks up H2O2 and prevents hair from greying.  H2O2 (which bleaches hair in the follicle) has a negative effect in other parts of the body including cardiac damage.
Maybe the finite supply of catalase is being preferentially used to protect other (more important?) structures than hair from oxidative stress?

Also, H202 is produced when superoxide is acted upon by superoxide dismutase. Perhaps higher H202 is due to greater elimination of superoxide?

But it's all just weak mechanistic speculation at this point...

2.  Upregulation of catalase is proven to extend life (including maximal lifespan) in mice.

Catalase didn't extend mice lifespan in a subsequent study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19077044

Edited by Brett Black, 10 June 2014 - 05:10 AM.

• like x 1

#34 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Catalase didn't extend mice lifespan in a subsequent study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19077044

Point taken.  Thanks for that study, I will have a look.

I remember reading some of Danica Chen's work, and she highlighted that just upregulating SOD2 did not increase lifespan, but when combined with SIRT3 there was a lifespan improvement.  It might be that higher catalase/antioxidants are advisable, but that other factors are needed in concert.

#35 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

But how can you upregulate catalase production? Okay, I'm vain but elaborating on how it doesn't affect aging is not going to do anything.

I've heard stories of kombucha tea and wheatgrass darkening hair, I just don't know if it could be true and why?

#36 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

Scientific results can be counter-intuitive and contradictory to "common sense." It's possible that the common sense idea of connecting grey hair with the biological decline of aging may prove to be just such an error. The following study suggests, counter-intuitivel that (in wild boars) maintaining production of the pigment necessary for non-grey hair depletes a powerful intracellular antioxidant (glutathione.) Thus those boars with grey hair were less susceptible to oxidative stress than boars with coloured hair. Maybe greying hair is actually a good thing if it involves limited antioxidants being routed to defend more important areas of the body rather than being expended on mere hair pigmentation:

"...Most of the pigment in animal skin and hair is produced by chemicals called melanins. There are two kinds of melanins: eumelanin, which produces dark colors, and pheomelanin, which produces reddish or chestnut colors...production of pheomelanin consumes a chemical called glutathione (also known as GSH), which is a powerful intracellular antioxidant...

...boars with the highest levels of pheomelanin in their hair tended to have lower levels of GSH in their muscles, and had the highest levels of oxidative stress...

...As with human hair, wild boars show hair graying all across their body fur, Galván said. But we found that boars showing hair graying were actually those in prime condition and with the lowest levels of oxidative damage. Far from being a sign of age-related decline, hair graying seems to indicate good condition in wild boars...

...Given that all higher vertebrates, including humans, share the same types of melanins in skin, hair, and plumage, these results increase our scant current knowledge on the physiological consequences of pigmentation...

http://press.uchicag...7_RedBoars.html

That's very interesting.  I've long noticed that some red haired people (women, particularly) evidence a certain subtle wrinkling of the skin at a relatively early age.  I initially chalked this up to photodamage due to lack of (eu) melanin.  However, the pattern of damage seemed too consistent and not correlated with sun exposure.  Maybe it's due to oxidative stress from a GSH deficiency?

#37 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I read this snippet from the paper (above) with great interest: "A single exception was observed in a small subgroup of men with no gray
hair. They had a slightly, but significantly, lower mortality than the rest [relative risk (RR) = .81, 95% confidence interval (CI) .67-.98; p < .05]."

What this suggests to me is that there is a lot of "noise" in trying to detect a correlation between grey hair and lifespan. But this one result shone through.

Actually, having hair turn grey/white is not as simple as just "low levels of catalase". It is a statement of the redox situation of the melanin-producing cells.

Some of the enzymes involved in producing melanin are susceptible to oxidation, particularly at methionine residues. This is normally corrected by an enzyme: Methionine Sulphoxide Reductase. Unfortunately, MSR itself is prone to oxidation at a Met....at the active site!

So we have a situation where the enzymes that have evolved to repair the oxidative damage to other enzymes are themselves damaged by oxidation.

So this creates a slow spiral of oxidative damage that overwhelms the capacity of the cell to repair and hair gradually turns white.

Now, you can be sure this process isn't limited to just melanin-producing cells of the hair follicles. It would occur all through the body.

In fact, the process has been linked to neuron death in some neurological diseases. So, for example, excess Fe++ catalyses oxidative damage to neurons in the brain.

The neurons die and, viola! we have Parkinson Disease.

How can this be fixed? Well, the knee-jerk reaction is to supplement with lots of fresh methionine. Bad idea. High intake of Met has been shown to shorten LS.

(In fact, Met restriction is probably the fundamental basis of how CR works!)

One strategy is to put lots of "sacrificial Met" into the cells. In other words, a Met-analogue. This has already been tried in a mouse model of Parkinsons and it worked!

(I must dig up the reference...)  The idea is that the SMLC is oxidised and excreted, while the Met at the enzyme active sites remain undamaged.

So, my idea was to transfer this strategy to the hair follicle. I started to supplement with S-methyl-L-Cysteine. (You can't get it across the skin epidermis so don't try.)

Unfortunately, I didn't notice any difference to my (grey) hair. It is possible I didn't use enough but it is pricey stuff.

Luckily, although I'm approaching 60 I have little grey hair so I'm hoping someone will soon have that elusive breakthrough before I'm completely white!

If anyone has any ideas how to improve this idea, let us know!

#38 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

But how can you upregulate catalase production? Okay, I'm vain but elaborating on how it doesn't affect aging is not going to do anything.

LEF claims that its SODZyme with GliSodin and wolfberry increases catalase, I didn't check the relevant study though.

LEF claims that its SODZyme with GliSodin and wolfberry increases catalase, I didn't check the relevant study though.

#39 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Gilsodin is dangerous to take IMO.  We don't know the long-term implications.  It's not an endogenous upregulation of your own antioxidant producing pathways.  Search the site for a discussion.

#40 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Gilsodin is dangerous to take IMO.  We don't know the long-term implications.  It's not an endogenous upregulation of your own antioxidant producing pathways.  Search the site for a discussion.

I think the discussion was rather inconclusive on GliSodin and it's possible dangers. If GliSodin would shut down endogenous production I think we would have heard of more adverse effects already (so far there's one report of negative effects due to cessation of GliSodin use).

Edited by platypus, 18 June 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#41 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

I think the discussion was rather inconclusive on GliSodin and it's possible dangers. If GliSodin would shut down endogenous production I think we would have heard of more adverse effects already (so far there's one report of negative effects due to cessation of GliSodin use).

Zero longevity studies done on glisodin AFAIK.  Not surprised that a negative report on it due to cessation of use -- inkeeping with the view that the body adapts to it and begins to require it like a drug.  Very bad idea to take it unless you have a real reason.

#42 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Zero longevity studies done on glisodin AFAIK.  Not surprised that a negative report on it due to cessation of use -- inkeeping with the view that the body adapts to it and begins to require it like a drug.  Very bad idea to take it unless you have a real reason.

What are supplements that the body does NOT adapt to? Hormetics only? 

#43 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

What are supplements that the body does NOT adapt to? Hormetics only? 

There is a difference between a hormetic response and replacing your body's activity.  Exercise is hormetic.  You exercise and gain a higher capacity to resist stress, engage in harder aerobic activity etc.  That's different than taking glisodin and your body's own antioxidant pathways stop producing and rely on the glisodin like a drug addiction.  I think that's what happens w/ Glisodin, your body becomes addicted to it, downregulates its own production and requires the pill.

#44 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

In the end: what foods, supps could contribute to reverse greying?

#45 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Rooibos
http://www.longecity...ses-sod-levels/
http://www.longecity...loss-treatment/

White tea
http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=670184

#46 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

I had high hopes that Nrf2 inducers (which would upregulate catalase and glutathione S-transferase levels) might be useful approaches, but unfortunately, Nrf2 activation also reduces tyrosinase activity and melanin production. This is consistent with results from varied Nrf2 inducers like green tea polyphenolscurcuminsulforaphane quercitincarnosic acidcarnosol,sappanone Agedunin etc, some of which are studied as skin bleaching agents in Asia. The polyphenols may also be inhibiting tyrosinase directly rather than acting via Nrf2, indeed immobilized tyrosinase can be used to measure green tea polyphenols

If the Nrf2 overexpression study is a fluke, and the negative effects of the Nrf2 inducers on melanogenesis arise from direct tyrosinase inhibition, then there's still scope for some non-tyrosinase interacting Nrf2 inducer to work. That might be the case with Salvia miltiorrhiza root (tan shen) and its active component tanshinone IIA, which increases both catalase levels (in neurons, granted) and melanin production. The isoflavonoid genistein (unlike others mentioned) is a rather weak Nrf2 inducer, but also seems to increase melanogenesis.  I'm looking for other potential leads along these lines.

Edited by Darryl, 22 June 2014 - 02:26 AM.

• Informative x 1

#47 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

how many cups of rooibos tea would I need to reverse greying?

#48 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

Here is a mega-thread on the LEF forum about this topic:  How to reverse grey hair

• like x 2

#49 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

PABA may be worth looking into.
I haven't fond anything beyond these study titles:

Brandaleone, H., Maine, E., and Steele, J.M. The effect of calcium panthothenate and para-aminobenzoic acid on gray hair in man. Am J Medical Science, 1944, 206: 315.

Zarafonetis, C. Darkening of gray hair during para-amino-benzoic acid therapy. J Investigative Dermatology, 399-401.

The Anti-Gray Hair Vitamin

One very interesting application for this versatile substance is its potential to restore hair to its natural color. In 1941, Sieve reported that administration of 200 mg of PABA per day for two months resulted in marked darkening of the hair in 30 patients who presented with achromotrichia (gray hair). In an attempt to replicate this study, Brandaleone and colleagues (1944) muddied the waters by administering 200 mg of PABA with 100 mg of calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5) and 50 grams (approx. 2 ounces) of brewers yeast for eight months to patients with gray hair. He found that only 2 of 33 individuals had significant hair color change. Dr. Chris Zarafonetis (1964) of Temple University followed these investigations with a report that described 5 cases of dramatic hair color change and hair regrowth in 20 patients who presented with markedly gray hair, who were taking 6-24 grams of PABA per day for other conditions. The hair color changes were serendipitous results of this therapy. Zarafonetis concluded that consumption of 6-24 grams of PABA per day for at least 6 weeks restored the natural hair color of 25% of people with markedly gray hair. He did not speculate on the mechanism for hair color restoration and pointed out that the effects were highly variable and might require extended periods of administration. Zvak (1986) confirmed that forty years ago, large doses of PABA were clearly shown to darken grey hair; the regained color was lost within 3-4 weeks of stopping the treatment. While it is clear that the hair color restoration effects of PABA were less than universal, any therapy which results in 10-25% reversal of what is generally considered to be an irreversible condition (like hair grayness) must certainly be considered significant.

http://www.vrp.com/h...and-antioxidant

#50 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Here is a mega-thread on the LEF forum about this topic:  How to reverse grey hair

I had already noticed that :-)

Saw a lot of PABA links but never something like: I used PABA and it cured my gray hair.

LLLT does seem to have many good reviews on gray hair although the "real" stuff isn't cheap of course.

#51 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

I had already noticed that :-)

Saw a lot of PABA links but never something like: I used PABA and it cured my gray hair.

LLLT does seem to have many good reviews on gray hair although the "real" stuff isn't cheap of course.

Was it PABA powder? What dosage? 

I also see that there is sodium PABA and potassium PABA,

Or is what you used without sodium or potassium?

#52 Climactic

• 331 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

The LEF forum thread seems a waste with users merely complaining about their grey hair, with few posts of things they've actually properly tried, and perhaps even fewer of what actually worked.

I don't have evidence, but I strongly believe in and urge everyone take a good vitamin B-complex as a part of one's stress-busting antioxidant regimen. It must include a good folate source, of course. This, however, will not reverse grey hair, nor will a more extensive antioxidant regimen per my experience.

As for PABA, I will now start by trying a dose of 500 mg daily for at least 3 months, assuming no side effects. From what I quickly read, it should be advisable to go up to 3g a day for the purpose of attempting to reverse greying. I came across a couple of user reviews online of PABA actually having reversed their grey hair, but they did not include doses or a time period. I see that there also exists extended-release PABA, but this may be harder on the body, so a lower dose would be warranted.

For those who tried catalase in shampoo, wasn't there a mention of the necessity of a specific UV light application?

To the person who asked about lutein - no, a natural lutein supplement does nothing for greying.

Edited by Climactic, 15 September 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#53 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

The other hypothesis about hair that I haven't seen here is that it helps to excrete excess heavy metals from the body.

This is reputedly more efficient in hair which is still black.

So, according to this hypothesis, bald men or those with premature greying might tend to have an imbalance of metals which could, in theory, predispose to illness.

For example, inappropriate levels of transition metals in the brain is one proposed mechanism for Alzheimer's Dementia.

I sometimes wonder if the baldness/thinning/white hair often seen in advanced age is what predisposes people to AD.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#54 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

The other hypothesis about hair that I haven't seen here is that it helps to excrete excess heavy metals from the body.

This is reputedly more efficient in hair which is still black.

So, according to this hypothesis, bald men or those with premature greying might tend to have an imbalance of metals which could, in theory, predispose to illness.

For example, inappropriate levels of transition metals in the brain is one proposed mechanism for Alzheimer's Dementia.

I sometimes wonder if the baldness/thinning/white hair often seen in advanced age is what predisposes people to AD.

I think this is unlikely, and is probably a myth proffered by people selling hair metal analysis services.  If anyone has ever looked at transition metal levels in bald men vs hairy men of similar demographics, and seen a significant difference, that would be evidence.  I think that what you're seeing with AD and hair is that both are correlated with old age, but there is not a causal link.

• like x 1

#55 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

The LEF forum thread seems a waste with users merely complaining about their grey hair, with few posts of things they've actually properly tried, and perhaps even fewer of what actually worked.

I don't have evidence, but I strongly believe in and urge everyone take a good vitamin B-complex as a part of one's stress-busting antioxidant regimen. It must include a good folate source, of course. This, however, will not reverse grey hair, nor will a more extensive antioxidant regimen per my experience.

As for PABA, I will now start by trying a dose of 500 mg daily for at least 3 months, assuming no side effects. From what I quickly read, it should be advisable to go up to 3g a day for the purpose of attempting to reverse greying. I came across a couple of user reviews online of PABA actually having reversed their grey hair, but they did not include doses or a time period. I see that there also exists extended-release PABA, but this may be harder on the body, so a lower dose would be warranted.

For those who tried catalase in shampoo, wasn't there a mention of the necessity of a specific UV light application?

To the person who asked about lutein - no, a natural lutein supplement does nothing for greying.

The catalase shampoo didn't do much for most users, but light was recommended. A dermatologist also told me that LLLT used on balding people has reversing grey as a side effect. Of course not the cheap laser combs. You probably need some strength.

There a person building helmets and his theory is that the low laser light increased SOD. The website looks a bit genuine and it's not cheap, but having talked to different people from different area's, forums using it for balding in the first place, they just said: it reversed the grey which was a non wanted but pleasant side effect: http://www.overmachogrande.com/

they do admit it's not miracle therapy for hair loss which makes me believe they're honest.

I've just started with melitane. In months from now I should see results. Good to have a place where we discuss solutions and no drama;

• like x 1

#56 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

I had high hopes that Nrf2 inducers (which would upregulate catalase and glutathione S-transferase levels) might be useful approaches, but unfortunately, Nrf2 activation also reduces tyrosinase activity and melanin production. This is consistent with results from varied Nrf2 inducers like green tea polyphenolscurcuminsulforaphane quercitincarnosic acidcarnosol,sappanone Agedunin etc, some of which are studied as skin bleaching agents in Asia. The polyphenols may also be inhibiting tyrosinase directly rather than acting via Nrf2, indeed immobilized tyrosinase can be used to measure green tea polyphenols

If the Nrf2 overexpression study is a fluke, and the negative effects of the Nrf2 inducers on melanogenesis arise from direct tyrosinase inhibition, then there's still scope for some non-tyrosinase interacting Nrf2 inducer to work. That might be the case with Salvia miltiorrhiza root (tan shen) and its active component tanshinone IIA, which increases both catalase levels (in neurons, granted) and melanin production. The isoflavonoid genistein (unlike others mentioned) is a rather weak Nrf2 inducer, but also seems to increase melanogenesis.  I'm looking for other potential leads along these lines.

Nrf2 inducers look very interesting, too bad that they have that side effect

According to this study androhrapholide from andrographis paniculata, a common and potent Nrf2 inducer inhibits melanogenesis
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25869056

Andrographolide suppresses melanin synthesis through Akt/GSK3β/β-catenin signal pathway.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Tyrosinase (TYR) is the key enzyme controlling the production of melanin. Very few papers have reported that andrographolide can inhibit melanin content.

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the effects of andrographolide on melanin synthesis.

METHODS:

Cell viability, melanin content, TYR activity, transcriptional and protein expression levels of TYR family and other kinds of proteins involved in melanogenesis were measured after the treatments of andrographolide.

RESULTS:

It was found that andrographolide decreased melanin content, TYR activity and transcriptional and protein expression of TYR family and microphthalmia-associated transcription factor (MITF) in B16F10 melanoma cells. Data showed andrographolide also decreased melanin content and TYR content in ultraviolet B (UVB) irradiation induced brown guinea pigs. Moreover, we found that melanin content and TYR activity were effectively inhibited in Human Epidermis Melanocyte (HEM) treated with andrographolide at the medium concentrations without apparent effect on cell viability. Results in experiments treated with MG-132 or cycloheximide (CHX) showed that andrographolide lowered the content of β-catenin in cell nucleus resulting from accelerating the degradation of β-catenin. Phosphorylation of glycogen synthase kinase 3β (GSK3β) and Akt decreased simultaneously. 6-Bromoindirubin-3'-oxime (BIO, inhibitor of GSK3β) and insulin-like growth factors-1 (IGF-1, activator of Akt) could reverse the decline of β-catenin in B16F10 cells induced by andrographolide.

CONCLUSION:

These results demonstrate that andrographolide can effectively suppress melanin content and TYR activity in B16F10 cells, HEM cells and UVB-induced brown guinea pig skin by decreasing phosphorylation of GSK3β dependent on Akt, promoting the degradation of β-catenin, inhibiting β-catenin into the nucleus and decreasing the expression of MITF and TYR family. Data indicate that andrographolide may be a potential whiting agent which can have great market in cosmetics and in clinical such as curing hyperpigmentation disorders.

#57 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Sulforaphane perhaps the most potent Nrf2, followed by Androphalide apparently also has the same effect on melanogenesis. It is curious to note that both compounds possess potent anti-cancer activity.

Apparently it is not unreasonable to think, that having gray hair in some cases could indicate better health than some who have all the hair black. I imagine the case of a person who has a strong tendency to anabolism but a poor activation of genes like Nrf2.

The scenario looks a bit complicated, I have alopecia problems, I know that in my case the gray hair that I have (which by luck are not yet many) are related to the inflammation of the hair follicle product of hypersensitivity to DHT, a Nrf2 inducer works well in cases where the skin or hair is inflamed because it activates the antioxidant defenses, but at the same time limits the formation of melanin. So what to do ?, the matter becomes more complex still, because to consume products that activate Nrf2 as Sulforaphane, produces a number of positive effects on the body.

---------------------------Here is the study, It is important to note that in this case the study is in melanoma cells, I have not found other studies that relate sulforaphane to melanogenesis, so there is still the possibility that sulforaphane does not have the same effect on healthy cells-------------------------
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/20208349

Sulforaphane inhibited melanin synthesis by regulating tyrosinase gene expression in B16 mouse melanoma cells.
Abstract

Sulforaphane is a compound widely present in consumed vegetables, particularly broccoli. Previous studies have demonstrated that sulforaphane has many physiological effects including anti-cancer, anti-oxidation, and detoxification. In this study, we found that sulforaphane inhibited melanogenesis and tyrosinase expression. The inhibitory effect of 5 microM sulforaphane on melanogenesis was determined to be equivalent to that of 100 microM arbutin. In addition, sulforaphane induced phosphorylated extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) and inhibited phosphorylated p38. It has been reported that the phosphorylated mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase family (ERK and p38) controls tyrosinase expression. Our data indicate that sulforaphane inhibited melanogenesis and tyrosinase expression by affecting the phosphorylated MAP kinase family. These findings indicate that sulforaphane might be an effective skin-whitening agent.

Edited by BieraK, 16 January 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#58 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:51 AM

For me I blocked testosterone with various compounds. Worked somewhat. Women have less gray hair than men. also I always wonderd why some areas of the body get hair later on like the back area a lot and much less.

#59 Paravani

• 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:38 AM

I haven't completely "cured" my gray hair, but over the last three years it has been diminishing until it's nearly gone.

All I've been doing is taking vitamins and supplements... A LOT of vitamins! I started taking them about three years ago, when my doctor prescribed daily blood pressure medication -- 5mg Amlodipine besylate taken twice daily.

So perhaps the gray hair was a result of high blood pressure, and lowering my BP caused my hair to revert back to brown?

The gray hair used to be really prominent, because it was stiff and curly. My young hair is brown and silky-straight, so the grays would stick out on top of it.

It used to bother me a lot. But I'm not very vain and I don't spend much time looking at myself in the mirror, so I didn't notice that the gray hair was disappearing until just this week.

A few weeks ago I had my 60th birthday, and suddenly I became very focused on learning how to stay as young as possible for as long as possible. I started adding more supplements to my vitamin "stack", and reading everything about skin care and wrinkle removers, nootropics and the biochemistry of aging.

Anyway, before adding all those new supplements, my former vitamin stack included...

GNC over-50 multivitamin for women WITHOUT IRON
500 mg vitamin C
5,000 IU vitamin D
B-50 vitamin complex
B-12
Calcium/magnesium/zinc, just one pill of 2-pill dose

About a year ago I added 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) taken twice daily, and also a B-6 vitamin to make sure that my body would have all it needed to convert the 5-HTP into serotonin. The intent was to take 5-HTP as an anti-depressant and mood stabilizer, and it has worked extremely well for that.

I have only learned in the last day or two that tryptophan is a chemical precursor the body can use to make NAD+. I've been taking plenty of niacin in my multivitamin and the B-50 complex, so perhaps my body has been increasing its working inventory of NAD+ when I wasn't paying attention?

Maybe that's why my gray hair is disappearing?
  • like x 1

#60 Paravani

• 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:39 PM

This is my last allowed post for the day, so I'll try to make it count.

This morning I checked my hair in good light. Then I had hubby check it in good light, too.

My gray hair is effectively GONE. I might be able to find one or two very silky, light, not-coarse hairs on my head that we could call "gray"... or we could call them blonde, because they really don't look silvery to me at all.

My gray hair is GONE.

And I'm a stickler for specifics, so I don't say that lightly.

I'm new to this forum, so I haven't been keeping close track of which vitamins or supplements I've been taking, in what doses, or exactly when I've added or stopped taking one thing or another.

Obviously that has to change, because the result of my carelessness is that I cannot immediately identify what it is that I've been doing right.

But I'm pretty sure that a year ago I still had a depressing amount of gray hair, so we can maybe narrow it down to the changes I've made in the past year.

A year ago I had some huge intestinal issues crop up. The cause was unknown for many months, although I finally identified it as an extreme and suddenly-acquired sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. It was quite a while before I could eliminate all of them from my diet.

I had to stop drinking coffee, because it worsened my diarrhea. Cutting out the caffeine lowered my blood pressure, which has been a big plus.

I also switched out all of our salt (NaCl) for potassium chloride. That too has contributed to much lower blood pressure.

I had to stop taking my GNC vitamin for high metabolism because it contained both caffeine and artificial sweeteners. It also contained iron, which my current vitamin does not. There is a post earlier in this thread about reducing iron supplementation, so perhaps this change was a contributing factor.

And a year ago, I stopped taking a pharmaceutical anti-depressant and started taking twice-daily doses of 100mg 5-HTP, a form of tryptophan that is a serotonin precursor.

The 5-HTP has worked incredibly well as an anti-depressant and mood stabilizer, with zero side-effects that I can see.

Well, except for the possible side effect of removing my gray hair.

About a month after starting 5-HTP, I added more vitamin B-6 to my stack, to ensure that the 5-HTP would always have enough B-6 available to complete the chemical conversion to serotonin.

I'm taking so much of so many different B vitamins, you'd think my pee would be neon yellow! But in fact it's nearly water clear except in the early morning, when my first urine is very light yellow.

********************************************************************************

I had planned to post the exact dosages of all my vitamins, but my very elderly cat has climbed into my lap -- no mean feat for him -- and I'm loath to disturb him. Later today we will probably take him to the vet to pass over the rainbow bridge, because he's been in constant pain over the past few weeks, and it's time.

So for now, he gets to stay where he is, and I will use one of my 5 posts tomorrow to list the specific doses of everything I've been taking for the last year.

I'll be lurking....
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users