• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

aniracetam

racetam australia

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 breakfast

• 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

ok

let me introduce myself

I am a doctor in my 30s, returning to university study for a masters this year.

I have a few mental obstacles, one of which is a daily battle with musical loops going over and over. Advertising is just cruel. For some time I have avoided television for this reason. But it doesn't stop there. I have a few other repetitive thought schemata, equally or even more annoying, as well as compulsive touching the area where side burns normally reside or my hairline. I cannot have anything other than short hair as the touching or twiddling becomes too distracting. Perhaps a signalling issue in a frontostriatal loop from cortical areas dealing with certain engrams to specific procedural areas of the basal ganglia is ultimately responsible.

This is not the same as OCD or trichotillomania, though incorporates elements of both and with the advent of the internet, I feel confident there are enough people who have this constellation of problems, which is not usefully captured by contemporary descriptive nosology.

To give you a mental picture of what this is like, I recall seeing an old chinese guy once when I was at a bus station, many years ago. He had male pattern baldness and not a great deal of hair left, but he sat there, combing over and over again, as though behaviourally locked. Now imagine the mental variant, including music. It is easy enough to harness attention to work sufficiently n the workplace as there are a lot of stimuli involved, but when there are less, eg study or a speaker in front of a group, or in a group, or sometimes just one, it is often quite another matter.

It is not terribly disabling, but my productivity could be significantly more efficient, without the distraction. That, and I will be up against the study robots at university.

I've lately become interested in nootropics in general, and with interest, I have read of several self-reports of this particular problem remitting with aniracetam.

After some literature research and a larger amount of time spent sifting through material here and elsewhere on the net, I will begin with aniracetam, at around 250mg bd, as of today.

I intend to dose on alternate days, and on the off days use. I will also use Hericium erinaceus (lions mane) on alternate days, to promote neurogenesis.

After a period of two weeks I will double dose aniracetam if no effect.

Some random notes:

I see there a lot of non-responders and there is no study that I am aware of that stratifies responders from non-responders.

Additionally, anecdotal longecity folk wisdom is that a subset of non-responders will respond if choline is added, with some debate over which is an adequate source, which is at the level of self-experimentation. If the brain fog or headache happen to me, I will use Alpha GPC.

Furthermore, there is some debate about the dose, and dose-response curve, and again, nobody really talking in terms of commonly used neuropsychological tests, but rather subjective experience.

There is better consensus about effect on the basis of fat solubility. I will therefore use concentrated fish oil with a high EPA:DHA ratio, with each dose, topped with first press olive oil. I will look at whether a nip of alcohol is an alternative solvent (nocturnal dose).

In terms of effect, in summary, responders tend to describe a mild to moderate antidepressant effect, a moderate to major anxiolytic effect, in particular social anxiety, and a sedative effect.

Some effects are within hours of dosing and some take several weeks to emerge.

The middle range responder's noot experience seems to be a mild to moderate nootropic effect, with a general noot effect on neocortical episodic memory retrieval, and additional effects apparent in visuo-spatial (predominantly colour and spatial awareness) and verbal facility (generally expressive rather than receptive, ie Brocas area at the frontotemporal convergence, although from the grammar, syntax and lexicon used in the descriptions it cannot be concluded if this effect is real or a subject impression)

Of some concern is the dropout rate and there are not a lot of people writing about it after, eg a year or two years.

We'll see what happens with me.

Edited by breakfast, 15 January 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#2 Quantico

• 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I would be really interested to follow your progress, and once I receive mine (similar stack) I will contribute in the same way.

I have completed all the necessary research, hours of reading and now understand what to do with the noots, nutrition and exercise, however, the most difficult part of this is finding somewhere to source them all from internationally.

As soon as I find a place and start filling the cart I find people on these forums saying they are untrustworthy and unresponsive.

Day after day I fill up a cart and then close the page because I don't want to invest 100's of dollars in such a grey area.

Do you have any suggestions as to where to source them, for import to Australia?

Apologies if this is breaking the forum rules.

Cheers

#3 lifebuddy

• 156 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

Australia is a little easier than you might imagine to import noots to. Just order small and often rather than all at once. Bigger packages are more likely to be viewed as a non-personal shipment.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Quantico

• 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

Yeah that is what I assumed; no kilogram lots.

But the real problem is deciding which online pharmacy to purchase from.

Every good report has a bad report to counter it, and the pharmacy listings on longecity aren't that helpful because none of them have comments or feedback from people who have used them.

Oh well, the search continues.

Aside from that, and to the original point of the OP, I have some similar OCD traits. It would be good to see how these are handled by the noots.

#5 breakfast

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

for the sake of accuracy and given the taste, next items on the shopping list are capsule maker and .001 digital scales

Notwithstanding the issue of weight and density, given aniracetam is very light and fluffy, I think I will get size 0 capsule size where:

"00" is said to be about 735 mg

"0" - 500 mg

#1 - 400 mg

#2 - 300 mg

#3 - 200 mg

and by one rough measure

1 tsp = 7 x "0" caps or 5 "00" caps.

If I get around to it, once I have the scales and caps, I'll apply the mythbusters aniracetam test to this rule of thumb from the internet

#6 breakfast

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

thanks Quantico

likewise, I will be interested to see how you go

in answer to your trepidation, it took me 11 days from online purchase to home delivery, including 4 weekend days, and I ordered 1kg and a truckload of other stuff, all from a reputable US site. Thankyou very much cerebralhealth.com! Superfast transaction and delivery.

I am familiar with the relevant federal legislation regarding importation, which I will PM to you if you wish. I can't remember if posting links is allowed. Suffice to say, it is neither controlled nor specifically scheduled.

In the end it's a matter of what you are comfortable with.

#7 breakfast

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I've had just two doses so far, and they are essentially an unknown quantity, but best guess is around 200mg per dose (1/4 - 1/3 teaspoon, aniracetam is a very light and fluffy white powder).

I'm hesitant to make any comment at this stage, mindful of suggestibility, although so far I noticed a few subtle positive effects, which were only apparent by conscious comparison to counterpart experiences the previous day. I took a dose for breakfast with oils, and a slice of toast with butter/promite (the taste is quite unpalatable on its own).

The more noticeable subsequent effect was the absence of distraction by internal and external stimuli with emotional valency, associated with a subtle sense of well-being. Also, no music in the head until mid afternoon.

Importantly, no adverse effect.

#8 gray.bot

• 262 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

promite

Mate didn't you say you were from Australia? You seem to have made a typo and spelt Vegemite incorrectly.

In regards to your OP and Aniracetam, I take it alot. You want a nice 3rd of a teaspoon which is about 750mg.

Order some 0.00 digital scales off ebay, they are like $6.

And if you ever need sources to get anything (yes anything) PM me.

Cheers.

#9 Quantico

• 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

Ok, I just got my Piracetam, Noopept and Alpha GPC delivered today from Cerebral Health. Ordered on 17th Jan, arrived 14 Feb, not too bad for inter-stellar travel :)

Will keep you informed on the progress, whether it is through this post or another.

#10 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Despite what works for most people I find it a good idea to start with low doses. If they do indeed provide the desired effect, you spend less money. ;)

Based on my personal experience with aniracetam, be sure to take it with a meal. I was on 750 mg twice daily, and did not always take it with food (but was careful to add fat each time, usually olive oil), and after a little over a week I started to experience pinching aches in the stomach area. I don't know the cause of course, but my suspicion is due to irritated stomach lining or even ulceration from the ani. Now, after being off aniracetam for a week, my stomach shows none of those symptoms anymore.

Edited by Godof Smallthings, 14 February 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#11 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

how do you guys swallow your aniracetam? It doesnt seem to mix well with anything and tastes disgusting...

under the tongue then down the hatch??

#12 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

I measure up doses with a milligram scale and stuff them into capsules, and then swallow the capsules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users