Amlexanox, a potential new metabolic agent

amlexanox aphthtab lexanox obesity diabetes

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 soupishness

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

The pharmacy in Japan wouldn't ship two orders less than 30 days apart, so I cancelled my order. The API I ordered from China shipped on the 6th. Assuming it doesn't get stuck in customs, it should be here soon.

#32 Gerd

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Hi,

Any news on the experiment?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#33 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

I see nothing but a 5% paste available in the US. I suppose it won't take long before someone begins selling it in capsules.

I, too, forsee a very profitable future for this substance in the diet market, based purely on the phrase "increases metabolism".

#34 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

The pharmacy in Japan wouldn't ship two orders less than 30 days apart, so I cancelled my order. The API I ordered from China shipped on the 6th. Assuming it doesn't get stuck in customs, it should be here soon.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to find out if you received your order from China and if you are still taking Amlexanox?  Any news to report?

#35 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

I just dug this thread up after seeing a related post on the nootropics subreddit. Amlexanox looks really promising. I found a source for 50mg pills online and have ordered them. I was able to find dosing information for an amlexanox study being conducted for type 2 diabetes at the University of Michigan. The xml file for the study says dosing will be titrated up to 50mg TID (150mg total/day) which are "doses used to treat asthma in humans and leading to serum concentrations comparable to metabolically effective doses in rodent studies". The xml file is at http://clinicaltrial...displayxml=true if anyone's interested. 

• like x 1

#36 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

I found a source for 50mg pills online and have ordered them.

Will you be so kind as to disclose the source of the 50 mg. pills?

I found Cayman Chemical. They want to charge $296 per 100 mg. tablet. This makes no sense.

Edited by fubarama, 27 May 2014 - 05:37 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

I got them from http://www.mimaki-fa...roduct_id=33846

#38 RJ23_1989

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

I just dug this thread up after seeing a related post on the nootropics subreddit. Amlexanox looks really promising. I found a source for 50mg pills online and have ordered them. I was able to find dosing information for an amlexanox study being conducted for type 2 diabetes at the University of Michigan. The xml file for the study says dosing will be titrated up to 50mg TID (150mg total/day) which are "doses used to treat asthma in humans and leading to serum concentrations comparable to metabolically effective doses in rodent studies". The xml file is at http://clinicaltrial...displayxml=true if anyone's interested. 

Please let us know your results once you receive it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#39 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

I did a little exploring on the products available on that online pharmacy (www.mimaki-family-japan.com), and found a few more things to look at:

• Tranilast is another antiallergenic, anti-inflammatory http://onlinelibrary.../hep.22338/full
  • Ibudilast is a PDE4 inhibitor I've seen mentioned on longecity. It is being looked at for drug addictions and MS. 
  • Taltirelin (OK, it is $900) looks really interesting. It increases intracellular brain concentrations of dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, and acetylcholine. It also is neuroprotective! http://onlinelibrary...8.tb00039.x/pdf
  • Droxidopa looks like the levodopa equivalent for norepinephrine. I may actually try this to help with studying. It was studied as an ADHD treatment and was very effective in phase 2 trials: http://chelseatherap..._Releases-2.pdf

The wonder of Japanese medicine! Tomorrow I might make a new thread for these drugs. 

• like x 1

#40 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:06 AM

OK, the amlexanox arrived. What I have is 100 50mg Solfa tablets factory sealed from Takeda Pharmaceutical. I took one this afternoon and another just now. I figure I'll log my experience with amlexanox in this thread.

So far, I've noticed my nasal congestion from a cold has cleared up nicely. Nothing else to note yet.

My starting bodyweight is 161 lbs and I'm 5' 7", which does technically put me in the overweight BMI range. I do have a fair amount of muscle mass so I don't worry about it much. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#41 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

My starting bodyweight is 161 lbs and I'm 5' 7", which does technically put me in the overweight BMI range. I do have a fair amount of muscle mass so I don't worry about it much. 

What benefits are you expecting/hoping for in taking this drug?

#42 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

What benefits are you expecting/hoping for in taking this drug?

My body fat percentage is over 16% (depends on the method, bioelectric impedance said 17% but calipers said over 20%).  It has not moved much in years in spite of exercise and a healthy diet. I am looking to see if amlexanox can help me drop it a few percentage points while still keeping up the diet and exercise. 

I am not saying that I'm severely overweight or obese by any means, but I'm hoping the plateau in my fat loss can be overcome by amlexanox. I then want to see if any fat loss can be maintained with continued diet and exercise after my amlexanox trial. 

#43 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

So far I have seen results; my body fat dropped from 17% to 16% and my weight is now 160 lbs. This is after a several month plateau at this weight. Hard to say if it's due to the amlexanox, but I'll continue taking it. The University of Michigan study said mice took 4 days before weight loss on amlexanox. I will be sure to post if I notice a large decrease in body fat or weight. I am also noticing that my body temperature spikes more after exercise, but at rest it measures normal. This slightly decreases my endurance during workouts.

#44 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

So far I have seen results; my body fat dropped from 17% to 16% and my weight is now 160 lbs. This is after a several month plateau at this weight. Hard to say if it's due to the amlexanox, but I'll continue taking it. The University of Michigan study said mice took 4 days before weight loss on amlexanox. I will be sure to post if I notice a large decrease in body fat or weight. I am also noticing that my body temperature spikes more after exercise, but at rest it measures normal. This slightly decreases my endurance during workouts.

Any notable subjective effects or side effects from taking this?

By the way, what daily dose did you decide on?

#45 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'm taking three 50mg pills per day. I do sweat easier now and my body temp spikes more from exercise, no other subjective effects that I've seen.

#46 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I started to order these tablets from this source. Then I hesitated. I had too many uncomfortable questions.

--Who is Mimaki Family pharmacy? Why do they sell drugs over the internet without apparent concern for prescriptions? Are they criminals?

--If the packaging is printed in Japanese, how will I know I even got Amlexanox? How will I know it's not counterfeit?

--The website is crude and confusing. 100 tablets for $182?

--How do I know Ampanet is not a shill for Mimaki family pharmacy?

--If this stuff has any promise at all, why are there no other threads on the internet about Amlexanox obtained from this source? For that matter, I'm not aware of any other other user on Logecity obtaining Amlexanox from this source.

--What happened to Soupishness?

--Ampanet's reports are interesting, but the main topic is type-2 diabetes. No one on this thread is trying Amlexanox for DM-2.

#47 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

All valid points. I'm not a shill for that pharmacy; in truth I took a big risk ordering from them. The box for the pills has some English on it that says amlexanox 50mg, and there was a seal that said Takeda pharmaceutical. I actually think Soupishness got his from the same source since there are virtually no other places I could find it.

I will say that I probably won't reorder amlexanox after I finish these 100 pills. The results I am getting so far are not significant enough to justify the price. I would be interested in seeing someone with type 2 diabetes take amlexanox though.

I think the lack of reports on longecity and the web as a whole is because this compound is newly discovered and has little clinical testing for obesity/DM 2.

#48 Gerd

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

the dose they gave is bullshit. IMO a typical human would need about 1g per day.

Regards,

Gerd

#49 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi,

the dose they gave is bullshit. IMO a typical human would need about 1g per day.

Regards,

Gerd

I mentioned in a previous message on this thread that the mice got 100 mg./kg.

Ampamet has posted messages suggesting that it's a mistake to extrapolate mouse to human dosages by weight, You do it by surface area. As I recall, you questioned Ampanet. I don't know Ampamet's qualifications, or yours.

There's really just been one mouse study, as far as I know. However there is a human trial going on.

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT01842282

It's an open-label trial. It's possible the author of the trial knows something we don't know. A single mouse study is usually considered insufficient to justify a human trial.

I don't know what dosage is being used in the human trial. I just read that page, but I don't see dosage mentioned. It's possible someone else on this thread mentioned the human trial dosage. I can't find it at the moment.

Comments?

Hi,

Regards,

Gerd

I mentioned in a previous message on this thread that the mice got 100 mg./kg.

Ampamet has posted messages suggesting that it's a mistake to extrapolate mouse to human dosages by weight, You do it by surface area. As I recall, you questioned Ampanet. I don't know Ampamet's qualifications, or yours.

There's really just been one mouse study, as far as I know. However there is a human trial going on.

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT01842282

It's an open-label trial. It's possible the author of the trial knows something we don't know. A single mouse study is usually considered insufficient to justify a human trial.

I don't know what dosage is being used in the human trial. I just read that page, but I don't see dosage mentioned. It's possible someone else on this thread mentioned the human trial dosage. I can't find it at the moment.

Comments?

Oops. The mice got either 25 mg./kg. or 100 mg./kg. The lower dose seemed to work about as well as the higher one.

#50 Gerd

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

HI,

Yes, the lower dose worked also. 25mg/kg makes 2g for an 80kg human. It should work with half of that (1g) but I doubt that it would work with less than one tenth.

At the end, blood- or tisue-levels will be important. One should measure concentration in mouse blood at 25mg/kg and in humans at 150mg/day (IMO the dosing in the study, 3 times 2 tablets containing 25mg each).

Usually one mouse study is far less than enough for starting human studies but as amlexanox is approved for other indications in that dosage (this being the reason for choosing that dose) it is much easier.

Regards,

Gerd

#51 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

I found the dosing from the clinical trial protocols. They called for 50mg three times per day. I did not argue anything about extrapolation from mice, that was soupishness.

#52 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:11 AM

--Who is Mimaki Family pharmacy? Why do they sell drugs over the internet without apparent concern for prescriptions? Are they criminals?

Could Amlexanox be dispensed "over the counter" (no prescription) in Japan, like aspirin or paracetamol in western countries?

From Wikipedia:

In Japan, it is used to treat bronchial asthma, allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis.[8]

#53 RJ23_1989

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

I got some blood work done. My ALT and AST were both significantly elevated, so it seems liver toxicity was behind the petechiae. They cleared up after 3-4 days after I stopped. I also take Adderall, which I found raises ALT and AST, so combining them probably isn't a good Idea. The liver toxicity wasn't observed in rats until 300 mg/kg, but it was quickly reversible. I'm going to take a few weeks break from both meds, and get an all clear on my liver enzymes, before trying again. Maybe take some vitamin K supplements. I ordered my second set of 100 x 50 mg pills. I'm also going to try ordering 100g of the raw API from China, as at 200 mg a day, $180 a month for the tablets is a bit expensive to sustain for long.

Sounds like at higher dosages it will probably raise liver enzyme values. To what extent though isn't very clear. It seems to have been enough, however, to induce a skin reaction in Soup when taken along with his Adderall. 

#54 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

It seems to have been enough, however, to induce a skin reaction in Soup when taken along with his Adderall. 

Lots of drugs are metabolized in the liver. Some stress the liver more than others. That partly depends on genetic differences in liver enzymes, and partly on dosage. It's possible that Adderal is one of those drugs that are famous for elevating liver enzymes, I don't know. You'd want to use caution combining Amexlanox with one of those.

I found the dosing from the clinical trial protocols. They called for 50mg three times per day. I did not argue anything about extrapolation from mice, that was soupishness.

Thanks.

If 50 mg. three times per day is the human trial dose, that seems like a good place to start. If I can be confident that the Amlexanox from the Japanese family pharmacy is not counterfeit and not adulterated, I guess I will give it a try. $186 for thirty days is a lot of money, but worth the price if it cures or alleviates type-2 diabetes. I am a type-2.

Somebody said something about getting a lower cost by ordering from China, something about an API from China, if it doesn't get stuck in customs.

Please clarify. Is there a Chinese source? How to order? How do we know it isn't adulterated, and isn't counterfeit?

Are these overseas suppliers simply ignoring customs and U.S. drug laws? If so, I don't mind.

What about Indian sources? Indian pharmaceutical companies are famous for ignoring patents and manufacturing anything that Indian citizens might need for their health needs. Apparently, they are reliable manufacturers. Lots of generic drugs sold in the U.S. were manufactured in India.

Anybody know how to locate and do business with Indian sources?

Cheers

#55 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

Any new threads on Longecity or other forums about Amlexanox?

#56 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

I've obtained 100 50 mg. tablets, going to take three per day until they run out. Started yesterday. Too soon to notice any  benefits.

I've got type-2 diabetes, had it for twenty years, have good health habits, exercise, still need a lot of insulin to get normal blood sugar. I'm obese, but not grossly or morbidly obese, don't have any complications of diabetes. I have blood pressure problems, but my cholesterol is healthy without any meds to control it. I can't lose weight partly because I need so much insulin.

I'm hoping I'll need less insulin with amlexanox. I'll let you know how it goes... If anyone else is still watching this thread.

#57 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

I've obtained 100 50 mg. tablets, going to take three per day until they run out. Started yesterday. Too soon to notice any  benefits.

I've got type-2 diabetes, had it for twenty years, have good health habits, exercise, still need a lot of insulin to get normal blood sugar. I'm obese, but not grossly or morbidly obese, don't have any complications of diabetes. I have blood pressure problems, but my cholesterol is healthy without any meds to control it. I can't lose weight partly because I need so much insulin.

I'm hoping I'll need less insulin with amlexanox. I'll let you know how it goes... If anyone else is still watching this thread.

Do you use metformin, telmisartan, and/or acarbose?

#58 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

Do you use metformin, telmisartan, and/or acarbose?

I seem to be a metformin non-responder. I took 2000 mg./day for many weeks. It seemed to have no effect on my insulin requirements. I also tried Januvia, which also seemed to have no effect. I tried Byetta. On 5 mcg. twice per day, it did not lower my insulin requirements. After many weeks on 5 mcg. twice per day, I tried to increase to three times per day. I had horrible problems with diarrhea, anxiety, nausea and all the other problems Byetta is notorious for causing.

I take losartan for hypertension along with two other meds. I get good BP numbers, but three medicines for hypertension is a lot. Losartan is similar to telmisartan, I think.

Acarbose causes diarrhea, flatulence and "anal leakage." These are incompatible with my occupation.

#59 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Fubarama, I'm wondering if you have any news to report with amlexanox. I had stopped taking it about half way through the 100 pills. I just started using it again last Friday. I am again noticing the feeling of increased temperature. It's odd because my temperature at rest is 98.4 according to oral thermometer when taking amlexanox. When I start to exercise I feel as though my temperature spikes quickly though and I noticeably sweat more. Also my muscles feel slightly weaker and "warmer", it's hard to characterize the sensation. Almost similar to a feeling of being in ketosis from a low carb diet. 

The weight loss I noticed on it could've been easily due to water loss from increased sweating; either way, it was no more than 3 lbs in 2 weeks. I'll see what happens when I finish the rest of the pills. 

As an aside, it works well for clearing up acne and residual redness if applied topically. I've used it a few times for this. :-D

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#60 fubarama

• 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hi Ampamet, Thanks for asking. We seem to be the last survivors on this long, old thread. I've not noticed the effects you mention. I'm not sure I've noticed much of anything. I've been taking it for about two weeks now, or a bit more. I'm mostly watching my blood sugars, hoping I will need less insulin, because of improving insulin sensitivity. So far, no change. A couple of days ago, I thought I noticed the waistband on my slacks was a bit looser -- possibly my imagination. I've been unhappy about my weight lately, have probably gained a bit, so it's painful to weigh myself for the first time in awhile. I suppose I should do that. It's possible that weight could fall without any immediate change in insulin sensitivity. I worry that I'm poisoning myself, probably should get a liver function test. Too lazy so far.

I have some arthritis in my hips. It's possible they've become less sore. Not certain. It's also possible I am somewhat less hungry than usual. I usually under-eat, so being a bit less hungry would be pretty nice.

I just ordered another month's supply from Japan, for $182. If anything interesting happens, I will post.

I'm dying to learn the results of the open label human trial. I suppose it could be a year or more.

Edited by fubarama, 14 July 2014 - 01:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amlexanox, aphthtab, lexanox, obesity, diabetes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users