Reverse Brain Damage from Inhalents

treatemnts

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SLR2009

• 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hey guys,

When I was 11 years old I started spraying my hair wtih hairspray to straighten it. I would apply the hairspray for long periods of time and didn't realize that I was inhaling to much of it. after a few years I started feeling very spacy. I began abusing the inhalant when I was about 14 years old.

When I was 16 after abusing the hairspray for a few years I was left with a permanent vision impairment (tunnel vision), anxiety, personality change, depression, short term memory issues, difficulty in thinking, can't concentrate, numb to sense of touch and I became very sensitive to any smells such as perfume, gasoline, paint. I feel very drunk as though I drank a lot of alcohol except it never wears off.

I stopped using the hairspray for 11 years now but the brain damage has remained. The last 11 years have been torture for me and I don't know how I survived this long. I have to be very careful to avoid any strong smells such as perfume, markers, paint, gasoline, alcohol because it has been permanently worsening my condition and I am very worried about my future.

I took a brain scan about 10 years ago but it showed no damage to my brain, any ideas why?
I've been taking Effexor XR and Zyprexa for about 9 years but they haven't done much for my depression and anxiety.

I want to reverse the brain damage that the hairspray caused so I can go on with my life, drive a car, get a job. I’ve been looking into Stem Cells and Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber as a way to reverse the brain damage but everything seems very overwelming for me. I feel hopeless as though no medecine or treatments will ever be able to help me.

I'd appreciated any advice that you can give me to reverse the condition which I have been living with for a long time.

Thanks.

#2 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

You probably destroyed dopaminergic neurons, hairspray contains hydrocarbons which destroy these.
There's a study about it : Hyperosmia and depression following exposure to toxic vapors.
Hyperosmia is an heightened sense of smell, this is exactly what you're experiencing along with the depression.
There's a case of a woman who experienced about the same symptoms as yours : http://www.stress-co...net/Other13.htm
You should look into that, do you have any other symptoms apart from these?
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

I am also interested in what substances/nutrients/etc. would be most effective in reversing this type of damage. I have a close friend who abused inhalants (rubber cement, etc.) at a young age, and complains to me that he feels it has affected his cognition to this day (15 years later). He would be very open to some type of reparative regimen.

I assume a similar regimen would be helpful for me to repair damage from chronic alcohol binging.

#4 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

I am also interested in what substances/nutrients/etc. would be most effective in reversing this type of damage. I have a close friend who abused inhalants (rubber cement, etc.) at a young age, and complains to me that he feels it has affected his cognition to this day (15 years later). He would be very open to some type of reparative regimen.

I assume a similar regimen would be helpful for me to repair damage from chronic alcohol binging.

- filling all your nutrient needs be it vitamins or minerals (magnesium in particular, potassium, etc...)
best is to make some bloodwork and check for any kind of deficiencies.
antioxidants such as vitamin C (all forms except ascorbic acid) will help repairing some of existing damage and prevent further damage.
Vitamin D should be checked, it is a very essential pro-hormone and can prevent strongly neurodegeneration.
Vitamin E can also strongly impact memory, it is a very powerful antioxidant.
- lots of exercise as it can stimulate dopaminergic pathways and promote neurogenesis (always take antioxidants such as vitamin C, NAC, liposomal glutathione before exercising as exercise can cause oxidation)
- cholinergics such as choline bitartrate, cdp choline which will enhance neuroplasticity and help recovering from damage notably alcohol induced serotonin depletion for example.
Fish oil with lots of DHA can also be included in this.
- Anything that can stimulate bloodflow to the brain and increased oxygen uptake
Exercise can do that, ginkgo biloba also has been shown to help with brain damage.
- Supplements such as taurine, magnesium, ginkgo biloba could be helpful as to reduce glutamate excitotoxicity which is common in chronic inhalant abuse as well as alcohol abuse.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#5 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

-Aderall
or other stimulants should help.

inhalants get you "high" because they contain light weight hydrocarbons(di methyl ether) which bind to NMDA receptor sites, and antagonize them.
Inhalants from a pharalogical perspective are like alcohol, they are classified dissociatives because they inhibit NMDA receptor opening and will dissociate you from reality. A lot of people will tell you that you are getting high from killing your brain cells, those people don't know what they are talking about.

Aderall increases an neurotransmitter called dopamine as well as one called glutamate, both should open up your NMDA receptors to a degree, and reverse the NMDA antagonism. I would also use supplements that are typically used for alcohol damage reversal, i.e piracetam( a compound which should help open your NMDA receptors). I hope I have explained it properly, good luck with solving your problem!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracetam

Edited by anagram, 17 February 2013 - 02:50 AM.

• like x 1

#6 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

-aderall
or other stimulants should help.

inhalants get you "high" because they contain light weight hydrocarbons which bind to NMDA receptor sites, and antagonize them. Inhalants are basically another form of alcohol, they are classified dissociatives. A lot of people will tell you that you are getting high from killing your brain cells, those people don't know what they are talking about. Aderall increases an neurotransmitter called dopamine as well as one called glutamate, both should open up your NMDA receptors to a degree, and reverse the NMDA antagonism. I would also use supplements that are typically used for alcohol damage reversal, i.e piracetam. I hope I have explained it properly, good luck with solving your problem!

-btw, try to stick to things you understand, you could end up worsening your problem of you take the wrong thing.

In 11 years I'm pretty sure that NMDA receptors went back to their homeostatic state.
NMDA receptor antagonization does cause apoptosis of neurons and kills them, so yes inhalants does cause actual brain damage. It's even more true when usage is chronic.

#7 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Piracetam has been shown to help people who have had hypoxia related injury recover mental status, many years after the "damage" has happened.

Edited by anagram, 17 February 2013 - 02:52 AM.

• like x 1

#8 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Well I would agree with piracetam as well. Piracetam may help as well, not sure if it would work permanently but it's definetely worth a try.

#9 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Well I'm currently taking piracetam (just started about a week ago), and will suggest it to my buddy.

What else is typically used for alcohol damage reversal, on top of piracetam?

#10 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Resveratrol, Uridine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline
just to naming some of the better ones.

Edited by anagram, 17 February 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#11 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

In 11 years I'm pretty sure that NMDA receptors went back to their homeostatic state.
NMDA receptor antagonization does cause apoptosis of neurons and kills them, so yes inhalants does cause actual brain damage. It's even more true when usage is chronic.

I didn't know that. So the novel anti-depressant GLYX-13 is actually neurotoxic? Silly me, GLYX-13 is a partial agonist.
So Huperzine A is actually neurotoxic?
What about NMDA modulators? Is there anything that could reverse/regrow apoptis of these neurons?

Edited by formergenius, 17 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#12 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Resveratrol, Uridine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline
just to naming some of the better ones.

Thanks. I definitely plan on trying some uridine, and maybe choline, here pretty soon, and will also consider resveratrol too. I'm already taking zinc and magnesium, and try to eat occasional brazil nuts for selenium.

#13 SLR2009

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for the help you've been giving me.

My Vision impairment is similar to tunnel vision or being extremely drunk and it is preventing me from driving a car and enjoying life.

What did the hairspray do to my vision and what do I do to get my vision back to normal like it was when I was 16 years old?

#14 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the help you've been giving me.

My Vision impairment is similar to tunnel vision or being extremely drunk and it is preventing me from driving a car and enjoying life.

What did the hairspray do to my vision and what do I do to get my vision back to normal like it was when I was 16 years old?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_vision
Tunnel vision has several different causes, some reversible, other irreversible.
Likely inhalants caused oxygen deprivation in certain parts of your CNS and caused toxicity resulting in loss of peripheral vision.
Whether this is reversible or not is unknown, there has been recently some breakthrough in the field of hyperbaric oxygenation that has been shown to temporarily cure some of the brain damage and have long term effects with several sessions, you should look into that.
Some drugs such as ginkgo biloba or pyritinol can increase oxygen uptake in the CNS, exercise also does that.

#15 YimYam

• 135 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

To me it sounds like you could either have candida, parasites or have been toxicated by a chemical (poison) in the spray. I would get a toxicity test.
When you are poisoned by neurotoxins it can impair memory, IQ, EQ and sensory processes. Also it can impair brain function when in small to moderate doses by influencing mood swings, depression, irritability, general nerve twitching and damage, as it binds to tissue around your body.

JD

Edited by 1533jd, 27 February 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#16 SLR2009

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm very much looking into the hyperbaric Oxygen chamber.

1553jd, I have all the symptoms that you mentioned. do the toxins get worse, stay or do they eventually leave my body? Where do I go for for a toxicity test and what do they do to remove the toxins from my body?

Edited by SLR2009, 02 March 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#17 YimYam

• 135 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm very much looking into the hyperbaric Oxygen chamber.

1553jd, I have all the symptoms that you mentioned. do the toxins get worse, stay or do they eventually leave my body? Where do I go for for a toxicity test and what do they do to remove the toxins from my body?

My friend, do not worry. I am currently recovering from SIBO, Candida, Leaky Gut, mercury and mild organophosphate poisoning. All of these things let alone one by itself can cause you a plethora of symptoms from itchy scrotum to mild bi polar/schizophrenic symptoms. It sounds like you are poisoned in some way and perhaps as a result of being poisoned (hormones malfunctioning, neurotransmitters misfiring as a result,immune system suppression leads to general organ malfunctions your body is under a lot of strain.
Check out the term brain fog and learn about the connections of diet, healing the gut and how it's related and interconnected to the brain. 95% of serotonin comes from the gut. As Hippocrates the great philosopher once said, "all disease comes from the gut".

Go to homeopath or try to directly find a good lab which people say has reliably good results. Scour the Internet for views, opinions and positive reviews etc. Have a gut fermentation test and Metal Toxicity Test and maybe a hydrogen breath test. The whole process of sample collecting, sending off and awaiting results will take about 2-3 weeks, from there if the results come back positive, you should find a good homeopathic doctor who people recommend who can analyse and evaluate the results, but also give you some reassurance. When I first got all these symptoms It scared the living daylights out of me and over a year I scoured the Internet thinking I had fucked my brain from weed, but no. Anyway, It's all about trying to find a well trodden path with homeopathic doctors as some are obviously better than others, so be careful where you put the money pot.

Good luck and get back to me if you have any questions. Also start learning to relax your muscles individually one by one whilst in bed, it's called body scanning. Buy some candles incense, aroma diffuser, lie in a bath, whatever it takes man to make you feel a bit more relaxed and happy as sometimes we can get so caught up in our problems (I know from experience!) that you forget to enjoy life whilst trying to cure yourself.

Peace
JD

#18 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

Sounds like a perfect case to try the uridine/DHA/Alpha GPC stack. Search for Mr. Happy's huge thread on it if you're not already familiar.

Edited by Godot, 25 March 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#19 SLR2009

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hey guys,

I appreciate all the help.

Here's an update and I have some questions:

My vision is much much more impaired since my last post here. I can barely move the shopping cart around in the food store. My short term and long term memory is much more impaired. I can barely think thoughts into my mind. I have difficulty solving simple tasks which I could do not too long ago. I am always nervous, anxious and I'm always depressed and always feel hopeless. Why is the brain damage keep worsening?

If someone sprays windex or perfume I will get brain damage if I breath it in. A lot of times I don't even want to live anymore but I'm not suicidial. I get too much pain, tension, irrationally, nervousness through the day and just knowing that I can barely see doesn't help. I don't care about anything anymore and I never have any appetite. It's been 13 years since I touched the inhalant, could I still have toxins in my brain?

Could the Myelin Sheath be damaged which is why I get brain damage so easily? Could my optic nerve be damaged or is it the brain that's causing my vision impairment? My family is working on getting the HBOT scheduled soon so I can start treatments. There's an HBOT treatment facility not too far from where I live. I would start with 20 treatments and see where it goes from there. Also Can I become blind or get further brain damage by doing the HBOT sessions (that's my biggest fear)? I wish I could go back in time a year ago that's how much my conditioned has worsened.

Thanks again.

Edited by SLR2009, 08 November 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#20 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

It seems that inhalants cause persistent changes in glutamatergic and gabaergic transmission. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15561435 Does anyone have an idea how this could be reversed?

Edited by Olon, 08 November 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#21 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Reduce GABA release with baclofen?

#22 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Further downregulate GABA receptors with finasteride?

#23 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

Reduce GABA receptor currents by raising nitric oxide levels (L-arginin and others).

#24 Layberinthius

• 298 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

Try noopept, do your research on it first.

I'm really sorry that this is happening to you by the way.

I have a slight amount of inhalant damage aswell, but mine came from inhaling Lighter fuel (The gas types)

for me at least noopept has helped in repairing that damage, and alcohol damage.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#25 SLR2009

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks.

Is noopept safe? Where can I purchase it and what is the dosage I should take?

Also what do you think of Cerebrolysm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users