• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

New supplement/nootropic forum with new ideas

forum website nootropics supplements idea

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doktor

• 86 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

This is a cross post from another area of the site; I figured that computer science folk (like me!) might have some interest in this:

I already have a forum nearing completion, and it's looking very nice I am a computer programmer for a living, so trust me, there will be lots of really cool tweaks/hacks involved ;)

I have a pretty cool idea that I would like to pitch, to get some feedback on! I was thinking of integrating a "database of supplements/nootropics/psych-meds" directly into the forum's code. For example, when you start a thread, you have the option of specifying what substance it is regarding. I would have this database stored on the web server in an SQL table. That way, there would be an incredible degree of archiving/organizing ability built right into the forum, which would make searching for particular information incredibly easy.

But wait, there's more! I was also thinking of having a "Treatment/Enhancement Finder". It would be a web app, where you would choose from a list what you would like to treat / enhance. For example, you could choose to enhance motivation, or treat anhedonia. The app would then parse the database of substances, and make a list of recommendations based on the drugs' efficiacies for what you specified.

The ONLY potential issue I can see here would be getting all the medications/supplements into the database with correct info... but I have an idea for that too. Make the system crowd sourced. You can add an entry yourself (after x number of posts), and it simply has to be reviewed by a moderator or something before it's accepted. Once in, members of the site could rate the various properties of any of the medicines, report junk, leave comments, make revisions, etc etc etc.

I want this whole website to be based around community. I am doing this out of sheer interest, and because I love programming as a hobby. I do not plan to make a dime from this project, and want anyone on the site to have a voice capable of making big changes anywhere they think they see a potential improvement.

Any feedback? Ideas for improvement?

I just realized; I have some experience developing web scrapers (for those not into programming, a web scraper essentially harvests specific data from websites that you tell it to crawl). There are already tons of websites devoted to archiving data on psych medicines, and even rating certain effects... I should be able to write a scraper that collects this data for me

That leaves supplements/nootropics...
  • like x 1

#2 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

It would be cool if you had a wiki alongside the forum which would have a page linked to each tag on your database. Another idea would be to add an option to include results for studies on sites like NCBI.

You might want to check out the Resource Description Framework (RDF) language. Basically semantic web, which seems very efficient at doing this kind of thing.

Edited by Fenix_, 10 September 2014 - 04:02 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forum, website, nootropics, supplements, idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users