Negative Interactions of Nootropics

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:01 PM

Based on recommendations from this forum I plan to take the following

Piracetam
Pyritinol (not sure if to take this because of possible safety issues: http://www.ncbi.nlm....arch&DB=pubmed)
Alpha-GPC

However, I currently take:

http://xtend-life.co...redients#header
http://xtend-life.co...redients#header
and
http://xtend-life.co...ct=oe&page=main

Are there any possible negative interactions between what I currently take and the 3 nootropics I plan to add?

BTW: I notice that numerous places sell Pyritinol, Piracetam and Alpha-GPC, but the prices are similar and I don't know where to buy them from. Though quality is obviously far more important than price. So far I plan on buying the Piracetam/Alpha-GPC combo from SMI2LE, but I don't know if they're a good company.

Edited by exigentsky, 03 May 2005 - 11:54 PM.

#2 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:24 AM

I am quite happy with this piracetam, http://www.bulknutri...products_id=912
It was delivered quickly and appears to be high grade.

I'm not taking the others you mention yet but find them interesting. Until I hear a lot of good news about smi2le, I'm not ordering anything from them as I've seen too many statements of dissatisfaction with that company.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:12 AM

Thank you for the information.

I am also wondering about the choline supplementation to Piracetam? Should it be done with each dose of Piracetam or would it be just as efficient to take the necessary dose of Alpha-GPC/CDP-Choline for your total piracetam intake all at once?

For example if I take 4 800 MG doses of Piracetam, should I take 100 mg of alpha-gpc simultaneously with each dose or would it be fine if I took a single 400 mg dose in the morning?

BTW: I NOTICED THAT BUYING POWDERS IS MUCH CHEAPER! But, my concern is that the concents could get contaminated easily, for example by humidity and that it will be hard to measure doses. What do you guys think?

#4 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:58 AM

I took a couple of the dessicant packs out of some other supplements I got and stuck 'em in the top of my bottle of piracetam. Seems to have kept it from clumping and when I do open the bottle I make sure to close it right away. I have a half teasoon that I use to measure out a dose three times a day, and if I skip, I give myself two doses at once. I'm looking for long term efficient use. I understand that higher amounts more frequently may give me more noticeable results faster but if I ramp up to the same and sustain that is sufficient for me.

I wonder about choline. Is citicoline any relation? I've added 750 mg per day of that to my stack. Is there any clinical studies that suggest what I have heard some talk about concerning what may help the piracetam work more effectively?

#5 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:20 AM

Yes, I have read just about everywhere that Piracetam is synergistic with CDP-Choline and Alpha-GPC.

I'm trying to get good Alpha GPC caps, but I can't find a good deal from a trustworthy place.

For example is http://www.betterhea...Q_prodID_E_4427 any good?

#6 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:22 AM

XTEND-LIFE
Neurological Formula

Has way too much selenium, has a less effective form of lipoid acid, most of the amino acids are completely ineffective (5HTP, D-Phenylalanine, SAMe, ), and its levels of ALC, Carnosine, and bacopa are too low to have any effect.

Are there any possible negative interactions between what I currently take and the 3 nootropics I plan to add?

No.

CDP-Choline would be a better choice in my opinion, as it is FAR better studied than GPC.

But if you want to take GPC caps Source Naturals, Jarrow, or LEF I would consider good quality brands.

#7 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

"Has way too much selenium, has a less effective form of lipoid acid, most of the amino acids are completely ineffective (5HTP, D-Phenylalanine, SAMe, ), and its levels of ALC, Carnosine, and bacopa are too low to have any effect."

OK, but does it have any negative interactions?

Also why do you say amino acids like SAMe are ineffective?

Also, their formula is synergistic and I think it's difficult to say what quantities are best without actual tests.

#8 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:21 PM

"Has way too much selenium, has a less effective form of lipoid acid, most of the amino acids are completely ineffective (5HTP, D-Phenylalanine, SAMe, ), and its levels of ALC, Carnosine, and bacopa are too low to have any effect."

OK, but does it have any negative interactions?

Also why do you say amino acids like SAMe are ineffective?

Also, their formula is synergistic and I think it's difficult to say what quantities are best without actual tests

SAMe is a very unstable compound and is very difficult to make unless specially coated and made by a reputable company (Jarrow and Nature‘s Made are the only brands I recommend they buy their by a Italy drug maker) it will not work.

Also many amino acids are protein forming when taken together their effects are greatly reduced.

As far as interactions I answered your question in my previous post.

#9 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

I don't know what you're talking about, it is an enterically coated tablet. SAMe would be released in the small intestine and so the stomach acids would not damage it. Also, while Xtend-Life is a relatively new company without a big brand namd, I think it is reputable.

"As far as interactions I answered your question in my previous post."

Yes, but I meant to ask if you had more details. I mean is it so easy to say no to such a long list of ingredients? :-p

Edited by exigentsky, 10 June 2005 - 01:56 PM.

#10 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:12 AM

I don't know what you're talking about, it is an enterically cosated tablet. SAMe would be released in the small intestine and so the stomach acids would not damage it. Also, while Xtend-Life is a relatively new company without a big brand namd, I think it is reputable.

"As far as interactions I answered your question in my previous post."

Yes, but I meant to ask if you had more details. I mean is it so easy to say no to sucha long list of ingredients? :-

Nothing in the product will interact with your proposed nootropic combo.

I understand you are new to this and do not understand biochemistry, and perhaps do not know who I am. Biochemistry and Neuropharmacology is my background I am a health consultant who has been taking and prescribing nootropics for more than a decade to over 10,000 people.

SAMe taken with any amino acids can combine with them in the bloodstream, if not the stomach. This is why it is best to take any amino acids 30-60 min before or 2 hours after food or other amino acid products. Most Amino Acids are protein forming which means in the body (stomach/blood) will reduce each other effectiveness.

SAMe can break down inside bottles even when coated, it should (in my opinion) be taken only in individually wrapped foil packs.

Also I think the company is a laugh in my mind, its main “Antiaging” product is homeopathic HGH. While most of its other products use a kitchen sink approach.

You would be better off with Ortho-Mind & Ortho-Core from AOR.

#11 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:23 AM

"I understand you are new to this and do not understand biochemistry, and perhaps do not know who I am. Biochemistry and Neuropharmacology is my background I am a health consultant who has been taking and prescribing nootropics for more than a decade to over 10,000 people."

Thank you for understanding, please be patient with me. I am indeed very new to this.

"I think the company is a laugh in my mind, its main �Antiaging� product is homeopathic HGH. "

They have no such product, you are probably thinking of something else.

"You would be better off with Ortho-Mind & Ortho-Core from AOR. "

They seem to be quite limited with very few ingredients.

#12 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:30 AM

"I think the company is a laugh in my mind, its main �Antiaging� product is homeopathic HGH. "

My mistake, they recommendation it for antiaging but do not sell it. Odd.

More does not mean better. The science and thought behind a product is more important that if it has 78 different minerals and herbs in it.

#13 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:31 AM

Let me clarify, it is their main recommendation for antiaging but they do not sell it. Odd.

More does not mean better. The science and thought behind a product is more important that if it has 78 different minerals and herbs in it.

#14 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:44 AM

"Let me clarify, it is their main recommendation for antiaging but they do not sell it. Odd."

Not only do they not sell it, but the founder actually opposes the dishonest way many sellers present HGH. http://wz.xtend-life...e=12&nltype=xyl

And yes, they have a lot of reports about current medicine and health, even some free special reports which are actually quite good:

http://xtend-life.co...s.asp?page=main

and also newsletters:

http://xtend-life.co...main&nltype=xyl

Anyway, what do you think of the director of their research team, Prof. Dr. Munem Daoud? There's some info about him here: http://xtend-life.co...s.asp?page=main

#15 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:14 AM

Quote From their website

"For the moment the best protocol that we know of for slowing down your aging process is to take Xtend-Life Total Balance."

I recommend everyone avoid this website and do not take their products.

#16 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:34 AM

That is a bit out of context, in my opinion they meant that it was the best thing to do in terms of supplementation and eating habits.

Here's the full passage:

"It's not as hard as you may think. The first thing that you must do is take a quality broad spectrum natural supplement to help fill in the nutrient 'gaps' that everyone has. In this regard there is no better supplement on the market today which will help achieve that objective than Xtend-Life Total Balance.

You should always remember however, that if you are serious about slowing down your aging process that there is no magic 'potion' supplement or hormone that will on its own help you achieve your objective. You must include good lifestyle changes with sensible diet and reasonable exercise. It is just as important to make sure that you are aware of what you should NOT eat as well as what you should eat. As a rule of thumb, if it is in a packet or is processed in any way... don't eat it.

For the moment the best protocol that we know of for slowing down your aging process is to take Xtend-Life Total Balance."

But in any case, it's no surprise that they recommend their product and try to hype it up. Every company does this.

#17 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:22 AM

The difference is this is not a great company. Supporting companies who make good products and have real knowledge of Aging is what I would recommend.

#18 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

exigentsky is pushing Xtend-life too much...who knows :)

#19 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:45 PM

"exigentsky is pushing Xtend-life too much...who knows"

Yeah that's right, I am a 17 year old employed by Xtend-Life!

Anyway, I'm thinking about supplementing Piracetam with Ortho-Mind (instead of Alpha-GPC). But I'm worried that it might interact with the other Xtend-Life supplements netagively. 22.5 mg of Vinpocetine, 170 mg of Ginkgo, 550 mg of Pantothenic acid and 350 mcg of Huperzine seems a bit excessive.) What do you guys think about this one? (calculated assuming that I would take only 3 pills of orthomind a day) Would the interaction between the Xtend-Life products lessen or improve the Ortho-Mind and Piracetam?

Edited by exigentsky, 06 May 2005 - 12:39 AM.

#20 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

I would definitely consider 350mcg of Huperzine a little excessive. Especially at your age.

#21 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

What about 250 mcg (if I take fewer pills)?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 exigentsky

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

This is pretty important to me, I just received Ortho-Mind and I'm not sure what to do.

Please tell me if it would be safe to take 3 pills of Ortho-Mind with the rest of my supplements.

BTW: Should I refrigerate Orthos-Mind because of the R+ Lipoic Acid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users