• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

faith in one thing better than faith in another?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:48 AM

I was reading a post by jans where they mentioned the bible, faith and science fiction and then I started thinking,

You can have faith in pretty much anything right? What makes faith in one thing better than faith in another? In that light, wouldnt 100 debating people, one that had faith in the bible, and 99 that had faith in 99 other seemingly ficticious books, never be able to win one over the other?

#2 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:30 PM

Not necessarily. It's a matter of perspective.

If I know nothing about society and the civilization in which I live, but I know how to read and I understand the meanings of the words—in other words, I understand the concepts, but not the context—then each of the 100 books would be just as likely to be the "true" book.

But now add context. When were the books written, and by whom? Who cites the books, or quotes from them, or writes books about them, or makes speeches about them, or uses those books as a guide to their lives?

And if I had 100 sets of "scriptures", each purported by one of the 100 debators to be the true and only word of God, which is more likely the correct one? Well, if the book they are holding was written this year, of five years ago, by a hippie in the woods of Oregon, or worse, by a stock broker, then it stands to reason that, regardless of whether any of the books is the true book, at least that particular book is far less likely to be the true book than one which has a history as extensive as the Bible or the Koran, or the teachings of Buddha. I hate to say it, but out of all the world's religions, the "mainstream" ones are more likely to be true by virtue of their being mainstream religions.

But yes, this only helps establish the likelihood that one religion is true relative to another. Establishing the likelihood that any of these religions is true is a fool's errand.

#3 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:52 PM

True religion obsolete, the issue.

Are you aware, guys, that for many a religious person, even among Christians, the issue of a true or the true religion is no longer a bone of contention.

People just look for a church to participate in some religious enactment that makes them feel good, i.e., attain some sense of being spiritual, or obtain encouragement in the midst of doubts and problems in life, or experience some feeling of union with the infinite cosmos whatever that be, above flesh and blood.

That's why we have Christians moving from one church to another to locate one that's just right for them, or people trying various religious systems for one that at least give them an orientation of being above this earthly existence, or even one that will get them moving ahead and upward in life, the so-called prosperity Gospel among Christians, and among non-Christians a religion or divinity or deity or spirit that will be their help from the realm beyond and superior to the earthly one.

Many others just simply hop from one church to another, from one faith to another, like from one touristic spot to another, and enjoy the variety of religious involvement.

There is a lot of good and a lot of dismay in this trend. But the trend has always been there if you just look closer and longer.

Good because religions become more of camaraderie instead of strife, and dismay because religions become a matter of whim like earrings?

Susma

• Lurker

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

Some time ago, I watched a documentary on science and faith (or at least that was the subject discussed). In it, they interviewed Vatican scientists among others, all very well educated intelligent people. They were asked seperately why they believed in God, or in their religion, and as I recall their answer was "faith".

Among this group, was a physicist and astronomer, both active currently or at one time in their respective fields and both aware of recent scientific developments. They chose to believe, faith was it's own justification for them. They could not, or would not, elaborate beyond that. I should add that these Vatican scientists seemed rather deistic, yet I don't think Catholicism is a deistic religion.

Individuals can decide how they form beliefs, that decision is beyond criticism unless one knows an individual's values and that individual chooses to form beliefs through a process that is less likely than other known alternatives to conform with their values. For example, if someone values beliefs that are consistent with reality (as we percieve it) yet chooses to form beliefs based on voices in one's head, they're open to criticism. A hypothetical response could entail the valid claim that there are other means of establishing beliefs that attempt to be consistent with reality, means that are far more likely to succeed than the voices in said person's head. The person in question may reply to that criticism, but irrespective of that possibility the decision was open to criticism where it may not have otherwise been.

The Vatican scientists generally favour reason, but their faith in God is not based on reason, it is not open to argument. They chose to believe in God, and should the day ever come, they will relinquish their unquestionable faith on their own accord.

#5 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

Heh, my opinion on this-

Conclusion- faith in any religion is self-astray misled.

~Infernity

#6 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:46 AM

Come, follow me.

My religion is distinct from religious beliefs.

My religion is rational, provisional, and optional.

My religion is not founded upon faith, it is based on emotions but as guided by rational knowledge insofar as knowledge is accessible to man, to date and still growing in years to come.

Because I am an intellectually mature thinker.

Are you guys here intellectual mature?

Susma

#7 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:57 AM

Religion necessary like for a balanced diet in personality development.

That many a religious person today no longer gives importance to the concept of, much less to the search for the true religion, and even exceptionlly less to loyalty for a particular religion, and yet still adopts some religion in their life...

That I want to believe is a good indication that for many a man religion is necessary for a wholesome human existence, for achieving a balanced personality, to live richly as an entity with as many potentials as fully realized as possible.

These are the persons with the best of lifestyle, as opposed to those who are fanatically obsessed with one peculiar religion or those who oppose religion altogether.

Susma

#8 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:06 AM

Faith is a convenience prop?

Cosmos opines:

The Vatican scientists generally favour reason, but their faith in God is not based on reason, it is not open to argument. They chose to believe in God, and should the day ever come, they will relinquish their unquestionable faith on their own accord.

Like when they get an invitation to assume an prestigious academic position in Harvard, Yale, or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology? When that day arrives?

Yes, that fact is very conspicuously obvious in the history of mass conversions and also conversion of eminent personalities of history -- from one faith to another, one church to another.

Susma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users