- - - - -

help a zombie become human

zombie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 wurm

• 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

alright i've got a huge problem and it's been lasting for years, i know you guys know a lot of supplements so a little help would be great
my problem is that all the day i am a zombie in other terms :
- i feel easily tired and sometimes sleep in the day
- i have almost no emotions, i rarely laugh
- i feel like i'm unable to talk, it's not because i'm not confident or shy, i just feel like my mouth doesn't want to open up and say things to others hence i don't have a lot of friends and i'm not social at all
- i am always lazy, i don't want to do things and yet i am interested in a lot of things, i'm just too lazy to get up and do something
- if i don't have an appointment the next day i always oversleep
- i am the contrary of the alpha male, i am too nice and too obedient, this is terrible
also i have no memory at all, i've got a lot of stuff to learn for my studies (it's law) and this is how i learn all the details about it :
- i read a paragraph
- then in my head i try to remind it, usually i don't remind all of it so i start reading it again
- then i remind it, i do that two times until it gets into my memory
- i reread if necessary and remind it one last time
- next paragraph
etc...
this does work i can retain information easily and once i learned the lesson i try to remind myself fastly what I learnt and i generally manage to get all the things right
HOWEVER the next day, ITS ALL GONE, i forgot almost everything and i'm forced to learn again, learning is easier and faster but i lost all the mmeory
i don't get it how come? is this because of my zombie illness or what?

this is my current stack :
- 10 grams fish oil
- 3 grams taurine
- sunifiram
sunifiram helps me a lot with these prblems but it just doesn't seem enough and anyway the effects will wear off, so i want to know if there is a permanentn solution to my problem!
because this really isn't a life, it's just being a zombie and doing nothing, i don't want to stay like that, did something ruin myself or??

#2 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

You may want to try some of the racetams. They've been very beneficial to a lot of people. I recommend the following:

Piracetam
Oxiracetam
Aniracetam
Pramiracetam
Noopept

If you had to choose only 3, I would pick Piracetam, Pramiracetam and Noopept.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

For healthy emotional responses high-quality St. John's Wort (Kira, Perika) should work. Rhodiola is good to get things going and goes fine with SJW. You may want to lower your taurine dosage as it's NMDA-antagonist and GABAA-agonist and thus dulling and makes those issues worse. Why are you supplementing it?
  • like x 1

#4 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

Psychomotor slowing, memory impairment, lack of motivation, anhedonia, flat affect, hypersomnia, fatigue, social withdrawal... sounds like clinical depression. Do you know much about that?

#5 YOLF

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

10 grams of fish oil is alot! That's actually way to much I think, you can definitely over saturate. Stop using white sugar, get rid of caffeine and drink lots of water. Cut back on your diet, don't eat as much. Eating too much over saturates your blood stream and compromises your bodies ability to absorb necessary things, so even though your eating more, you're actually starving or at least malnourished. Intermittent fasting is also good. Do this until your body acclimates and you have no tension resulting from the dietary changes before taking anything else. I'd also cut out the sunifaram until you've gone through this. Then add one thing at a time and try different combinations.

Psychomotor slowing, memory impairment, lack of motivation, anhedonia, flat affect, hypersomnia, fatigue, social withdrawal... sounds like clinical depression. Do you know much about that?

Or low T.

#6 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

Or low T.

When you hear hooves, expect horses - not zebras.
  • like x 1

#7 wurm

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

You may want to try some of the racetams. They've been very beneficial to a lot of people. I recommend the following:

Piracetam
Oxiracetam
Aniracetam
Pramiracetam
Noopept

If you had to choose only 3, I would pick Piracetam, Pramiracetam and Noopept.

racetams didn't do anything to me.
piracetam and oxiracetam makes me even more anxious, they're great to increase reaction time but i was still a zombie on them.
aniracetam did nothing at all except a massive headache for hours.
noopept managed to lift some of my frustration but that's all it didn't make me better just care less about my condition though the condition remained the same.
racetams are like sugar to me they don't do anything special to me whether stacked with choline or not

For healthy emotional responses high-quality St. John's Wort (Kira, Perika) should work. Rhodiola is good to get things going and goes fine with SJW. You may want to lower your taurine dosage as it's NMDA-antagonist and GABAA-agonist and thus dulling and makes those issues worse. Why are you supplementing it?

how much rhodiola should i use? i had a bottle a while ago i took 650mg and felt nothing, should i take more?
i take taurine for workout because it increases vo2max, i was already braindead before stacking taurine, i started having a consistent stack 2 months ago and here it is :
- 5 grams creatine
- 3 grams taurine
- 10 grams fish oil
- caffeine anhydrous
- hydroxycut
- no xplode 2
- ultra strenght mulvitamin
this was just a workout stack and it did nothing to my braindeadness, i kept being braindead and lazy.
i withdrew this stack some days ago to take sunifiram safely, it did nothing special, i don't take coffee anymore and even coffee doesn't do anything special it just prevents me from yawning a bit too much.

i wouldn't call this depression, depression is something even more terrible, i don't have suicidal thoughts for instance however i do have all these symptoms you quote.
i don't think i have hypersomnia, i can sleep 7h every day and feel alright it's just that when i don't have an appointment in the morning i end up sleeping all the day, the more i sleep the more zombie i become.
if i sleep 7h i'm better but still a zombie, if i sleep under 7h i become agressive and even more brain dead.
my doc put me on prozac last year this was a very bad idea as i had suicidal thoughts upon the first dose then he put me on xanax it didn't help it made me less anxious but i was even more zombified and lazy.

10 grams of fish oil is alot! That's actually way to much I think, you can definitely over saturate. Stop using white sugar, get rid of caffeine and drink lots of water. Cut back on your diet, don't eat as much. Eating too much over saturates your blood stream and compromises your bodies ability to absorb necessary things, so even though your eating more, you're actually starving or at least malnourished. Intermittent fasting is also good. Do this until your body acclimates and you have no tension resulting from the dietary changes before taking anything else. I'd also cut out the sunifaram until you've gone through this. Then add one thing at a time and try different combinations.

Or low T.

alright i will remove the fish oil as well.
i don't use white sugar anymore, i always use stevia, is that one bad too? i heard it's better.
so i should eat less? i eat quite a lot indeed though i'm not very overweight, i weigh 190 pounds.
i eat like the average fellow you know, so i don't get why other people feel fine with this kind of diet and i don't.
how much kilocalories should one consume? the rda says 3000kcal but maybe it's too much?
i don't do intermittent fasting however i eat in the morning (7:00AM) then at 12:00PM and then i don't eat until tomorrow (meanwhile i might eat a fruit or one yogurt and maybe a sugar free cup of tea but that's all).
does eating too much really make you braindead? because i see some fat dudes eating all the time and they perform better than me so i wonder.

my testosterone levels were at 3.5 (range 2.7-9.0), is that very low?
i know that testosterone increase hair fall and when i was a teen i remember how my hair was falling a lot and i had a lot of dandruff, maybe i had high testosterone and now it is very low, how come?
what should i take to have higher test but natural stuff if possible unless you got something that is safe and doesn't require prescription.

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

how much rhodiola should i use? i had a bottle a while ago i took 650mg and felt nothing, should i take more?
i take taurine for workout because it increases vo2max, i was already braindead before stacking taurine, i started having a consistent stack 2 months ago and here it is :
- 5 grams creatine
- 3 grams taurine
- 10 grams fish oil
- caffeine anhydrous
- hydroxycut
- no xplode 2
this was just a workout stack and it did nothing to my braindeadness, i kept being braindead and lazy.
i withdrew this stack some days ago to take sunifiram safely, it did nothing special, i don't take coffee anymore and even coffee doesn't do anything special it just prevents me from yawning a bit too much.

At 650mg Rhodiola should be working unless it's bad quality extract, but you may just not respond to it. At higher doses it actually loses its stimulative quality. Eleuthero ("Siberian Ginseng") is another activating adaptogen with different mechanism and could be worth a try. St. John's should definitely help with the zombieness and blunted emotions. Catuaba also comes to mind as therapeutic agent: http://www.longecity...py-does-it-you/
or Mucuna to boost dopamine (and testosterone)

Edited by Galaxyshock, 09 April 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#9 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Selegiline could actually be excellent if you can get your hands on it. It would help with a lot of your issues.

#10 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I think I can sympathize. This sounds sorta similar to myself a little over a year ago (as exemplified by my username).

The first thing you need to do, IMHO is to remove stress. Are you stressed? If you are, then try to get it out of the way, reduce it as much as you can.

Also, I see that you mentioned alphamale. Get off of 4chan or wherever you are hearing that crap. It will not do you any good, trust me. Just let go of it, it is all BS. Hanging around in depressing places makes you depressed. Trust me, you have to get away from that mentality, it is toxic.

As far as noots go,
1.Multivitamin
2.Piracetam/oxiracetam
3.Maybe Grape Seed Extract
4.Fish oil

I think that the racetams have a very unique ability to lift that zombie sort of depression. I have other problems that were underlying that depression, and they caused the stress/isolation that produced it.

It is kinda a catch, the depression (at least in my case) was caused by the isolation and poor working ability due to social anxiety and poor management, but that feeling itself only perpetuates the other bad problems. You really need to get rid of the zombie feeling in order to be able to improve the underlying problems.

The piracetam kinda builds over a few months, and you should feel like you have a lot more energy after a month or two of taking it. Also, in my personal experience, if you take a break after about 6 months and then restart it, you get strong effects. Pi/oxi also REALLY helped my memory.

I don't want to encourage you to try anything dangerous, but look into ADHD-PI. Especially the asociality and amotivation sound like some sort of dopamine regulation problem. Fix the depression first, though, because the depression obfuscates the problems. I would recommend staying away from SSRIs as anti-depressants unless it is the absolute last choice.

I hope you get feeling better soon, that is a terrible way to feel.

#11 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Have you checked thyroid?

#12 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

This is text book major depressive disorder. I agree, its unlikley to be a Testoterone or thyoid disorder although a standard blood pannal should be drawn including thyoid function tests.

Omega 3 (1-2 grams), B vits and a multi vitamin.

Start with an SSRI (sertraline would be my suggestion). Then follow Texas treatment resistant depression algorithum, if you are a patial or total non-responder.

Along side that, you need to maintain good sleep hygine (bright light therapy could be useful for your hypersomnia (sleeping to much)), online or in a book CBT, practice behavioual activation and take it slow. You should expect to see improvements within a few weeks and remission hopefully within 3-6 months, although since you have chronic depression it may be harder to treat.

You may find daily incoperation of mindfulness practice (well evidence based for chronic depression) to be very effective.

Behavioural activation will include fairly regular exersice, you can start real slow and work your way up & expect a few hiccups, slowly increasing your social activities, finding something to fill your day with where possible.

Can I ask you a few questions?

Do you have a heavy feeling in your head and/or limbs?
Can you list all the psychiatric medications/supplements you have tried in the past? giving an idea of how effective you found each would be helpful if you can remember.
Have you had anything YOU would describe as traumatic happen to you?
Has anyone ever complained or mention that you snore a lot/loudly or move around a lot?
Do you have food cravings - if so what for? Would you describe yourself as over or underweight? How would you describe you appetite?
Are you/have you been experiencing hallucinations or seeing/hearing things that aren't there or that nobody else thinks are there?
Have you been told you have any weird beliefs that nobody else seems to agree with?
Have you ever had any medical (including neurological/psychiatric) diagnosies? What about close family?
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#13 YOLF

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Or low T.

i don't use white sugar anymore, i always use stevia, is that one bad too? i heard it's better.
so i should eat less? i eat quite a lot indeed though i'm not very overweight, i weigh 190 pounds.
i eat like the average fellow you know, so i don't get why other people feel fine with this kind of diet and i don't.
how much kilocalories should one consume? the rda says 3000kcal but maybe it's too much?
i don't do intermittent fasting however i eat in the morning (7:00AM) then at 12:00PM and then i don't eat until tomorrow (meanwhile i might eat a fruit or one yogurt and maybe a sugar free cup of tea but that's all).
does eating too much really make you braindead? because i see some fat dudes eating all the time and they perform better than me so i wonder.

i know that testosterone increase hair fall and when i was a teen i remember how my hair was falling a lot and i had a lot of dandruff, maybe i had high testosterone and now it is very low, how come?
what should i take to have higher test but natural stuff if possible unless you got something that is safe and doesn't require prescription.

Just remove the fish oil for a while, not entirely. T and eating can be related. You're on the low end of the "acceptable" scale where all of the "obese" people are. I challenge the metric used on the scale. Only the healthiest people should be used to determine the measure, not the ones who always have to watch what they eat etc... I have a sublingual spray that has Testosterone in it, my psychomotor skills become what I would consider acceptable when I take it and I have alot more energy, but it also has alot of other things in it too. DHEA also improves my psychomotor skills too. I'm very discoordinated w/o it. I imagine transdermal T would be great for you. Hair falling out has more to do with metabolizing T, than T itself, if you aren't metabolizing it correctly still, different problem. Biotin can help with that. In any case, I would aim for 7-9 on the T scale. Fat dudes performing better might be from them working out regularly and being in transition. History also has alot to do with it. If the fat dude was muscular until he got his first real post college office job and was an athlete or just healthy prior to that, he's always going to be healthier and have better performance than someone who was fat as a kid as all of the young growth sort of cements in those health phenotypes/expressions. Being fat as a kid damages or puts more wear on the body much faster than being fat as an adult. Were you always overweight in terms of your ideal weight or just not active? How long would you say you've had some of these feelings? Sometimes you have them for longer than you realize, so you really need to figure that out too. There are alot of social "solutions" that people give you that compensate for stuff like that and prevent one from figuring out their health. Things they say when you're feeling down to cheer you up when your problems might best be solved with hormones.

1800-2000 Calories depending on height for most people who aren't body builders or pro sportspeople IIRC. There are calculators for that kind of thing out there that can probably give you a more accurate figure. If it's something like 3000 Calories though it's wrong, that's what teenagers should be eating.

#14 wurm

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

- 5 grams creatine
- 3 grams taurine
- 10 grams fish oil
- caffeine anhydrous
- hydroxycut
- no xplode 2

At 650mg Rhodiola should be working unless it's bad quality extract, but you may just not respond to it. At higher doses it actually loses its stimulative quality. Eleuthero ("Siberian Ginseng") is another activating adaptogen with different mechanism and could be worth a try. St. John's should definitely help with the zombieness and blunted emotions. Catuaba also comes to mind as therapeutic agent: http://www.longecity...py-does-it-you/
or Mucuna to boost dopamine (and testosterone)

woops not 650mg but 800mg with 81% rhodiola rosea inside. i felt like it was sugar and placebo it did truly nothing.
i don't know if a stimulant is good for me? maybe for sleeping too much but won't this increase social awkwardness and anxiety?
i already took ginseng also but it was a long time ago, panax ginseng if i remember well it didn't do anything very special, it's not like i could feel something actually.
i will look into st john worts and catuaba but for mucuna i'm quite worried couldn't this cause dopamine tolerance on long term? i'm also concerned that boosting l dopa can actually destroy my dopamine neurons, i guess i don't already have a lot of these neurons i wouldn't like to destroy more of them.
i will definetely look into these two others thanks for the suggestion

Selegiline could actually be excellent if you can get your hands on it. It would help with a lot of your issues.

right i've heard about this one, so i guess my problem could be very high MAO activity? i like the idea of selegiline and will ask my doc about it but what can cause high MAO activity? i don't want to live perpetually on medication if i could naturally reduce MAO it would be kinda great, is this genetic or due to my way of life? i couldn't find much information on the cause of high MAO

I think I can sympathize. This sounds sorta similar to myself a little over a year ago (as exemplified by my username).

The first thing you need to do, IMHO is to remove stress. Are you stressed? If you are, then try to get it out of the way, reduce it as much as you can.

Also, I see that you mentioned alphamale. Get off of 4chan or wherever you are hearing that crap. It will not do you any good, trust me. Just let go of it, it is all BS. Hanging around in depressing places makes you depressed. Trust me, you have to get away from that mentality, it is toxic.

As far as noots go,
1.Multivitamin
2.Piracetam/oxiracetam
3.Maybe Grape Seed Extract
4.Fish oil

I think that the racetams have a very unique ability to lift that zombie sort of depression. I have other problems that were underlying that depression, and they caused the stress/isolation that produced it.

It is kinda a catch, the depression (at least in my case) was caused by the isolation and poor working ability due to social anxiety and poor management, but that feeling itself only perpetuates the other bad problems. You really need to get rid of the zombie feeling in order to be able to improve the underlying problems.

The piracetam kinda builds over a few months, and you should feel like you have a lot more energy after a month or two of taking it. Also, in my personal experience, if you take a break after about 6 months and then restart it, you get strong effects. Pi/oxi also REALLY helped my memory.

I don't want to encourage you to try anything dangerous, but look into ADHD-PI. Especially the asociality and amotivation sound like some sort of dopamine regulation problem. Fix the depression first, though, because the depression obfuscates the problems. I would recommend staying away from SSRIs as anti-depressants unless it is the absolute last choice.

I hope you get feeling better soon, that is a terrible way to feel.

well whatever we could say alpha male is a true concept isn't it? in this world there are leaders and followers, i think being blind about this is not a good idea. some peopel naturally create leadership while others follow like me like a zombie.
alpha male is associated with more risk and it doesn't bother me to take more risks if life could be more enjoyable, it's true that i hate taking risks and i'm very anxious in tense situations that could degenerate any time...
but you got a good point about ADHD PI, I checked the symptoms and it's perfectly what I am, why the hell wasn't I diagnosed before?

• Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities. TRUE
  • Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities TRUE
  • Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly. TRUE
  • Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions). TRUE
  • Often has trouble organizing activities. TRUE
  • Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period (such as schoolwork or homework). TRUE
  • Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools). FALSE
  • Is often easily distracted. TRUE
  • Is often forgetful in daily activities TRUE

wikipedia tells me to take some medication but it's only short term (6 weeks), so that's not good! also prozac i already experienced it so i will rather avoid it...
but it's true i do have a problem of not enough dopamine, it's truly an hassle, i already experienced a SSRI (prozac) and it was hell, i was even more zombified, staying in bed all day, having a hard time doing chores and even making some food!! hopefully it went into remission after withdrawing...
piracetam and oxi as i said makes my memory worse and i become even more stressed, what could grape seed oil do? i feel exactly the same way as you, is that the only stack that helped you to get out?

Have you checked thyroid?

nope but i checked TSH it is at 2.20 (range 0.5-5.5) so i guess it seems okay?

This is text book major depressive disorder. I agree, its unlikley to be a Testoterone or thyoid disorder although a standard blood pannal should be drawn including thyoid function tests.

Omega 3 (1-2 grams), B vits and a multi vitamin.

Start with an SSRI (sertraline would be my suggestion). Then follow Texas treatment resistant depression algorithum, if you are a patial or total non-responder.

Along side that, you need to maintain good sleep hygine (bright light therapy could be useful for your hypersomnia (sleeping to much)), online or in a book CBT, practice behavioual activation and take it slow. You should expect to see improvements within a few weeks and remission hopefully within 3-6 months, although since you have chronic depression it may be harder to treat.

You may find daily incoperation of mindfulness practice (well evidence based for chronic depression) to be very effective.

Behavioural activation will include fairly regular exersice, you can start real slow and work your way up & expect a few hiccups, slowly increasing your social activities, finding something to fill your day with where possible.

Can I ask you a few questions?

Do you have a heavy feeling in your head and/or limbs?
Can you list all the psychiatric medications/supplements you have tried in the past? giving an idea of how effective you found each would be helpful if you can remember.
Have you had anything YOU would describe as traumatic happen to you?
Has anyone ever complained or mention that you snore a lot/loudly or move around a lot?
Do you have food cravings - if so what for? Would you describe yourself as over or underweight? How would you describe you appetite?
Are you/have you been experiencing hallucinations or seeing/hearing things that aren't there or that nobody else thinks are there?
Have you been told you have any weird beliefs that nobody else seems to agree with?
Have you ever had any medical (including neurological/psychiatric) diagnosies? What about close family?

i will try doing that, exercise would be okay to do everyday but engage in social activites? it's like asking me to get to the moon, i feel unable to talk, i am slow when talking and boring to death hence no one wants to talk to me.

Do you have a heavy feeling in your head and/or limbs? Nope
- xanax : didn't work make me feel like a zombie all the day, it removed the anxiety but made me worse
- prozac : i was a total zombie with it and unable to do anything, even worse than xanax
- multivitamins, fish oil, hydroxycut, no xplode 2, BCAA : all these didn't do anything to me
- inositol : made me extremely anxious, stressed and shaking everywhere, NEVER AGAIN
- caffeine : doesn't do anything except from making me yawn less
- ginkgo biloba : nothing
- rhodiola : nothing
- choline : it makes me even more zombie
- tyrosine : nothing at all
- ginseng : nothing
- sunifiram : made me a bit better but i'm scaredof the first experience i had and i'm reluctant to try it again
Have you had anything YOU would describe as traumatic happen to you? not really, but in school when i was a kid i was overweight (more than today) and was bullied by some other kids but i still had a social life and had friends
Has anyone ever complained or mention that you snore a lot/loudly or move around a lot? i do snore loudly in the night indeed
Do you have food cravings - if so what for? Would you describe yourself as over or underweight? How would you describe you appetite? not really but i always used to make food in the morning midday then in the evening like a ritual you know even if i wasn't hungry, when i was a kid i was eating a lot of sugar, candies and food during the day additionally to normal meals, now i don't do that anymore.
i consider myself overweight, am looking forward to lose weight.
Are you/have you been experiencing hallucinations or seeing/hearing things that aren't there or that nobody else thinks are there? never or extremely rare like 1 or 2 times in a whole year, sometimes i would hear my name out of nowhere but there was no one calling me, that's the only thing, i also had exploding head syndrome but it's very rare too
Have you been told you have any weird beliefs that nobody else seems to agree with? yes many times yes, people think i'm weird and awkward, i even got to believe to all these conspiracy theories you know about nwo and all that thing, it really ruined me and made me extremely paranoid, now i don't beleive in that anymore hopefully but my beliefs are still kinda weird
Have you ever had any medical (including neurological/psychiatric) diagnosies? What about close family? no never, my family is alright, i'm the only weird one in the family in fact. one of my grandmother died of neurodegenerative disease some time ago but the other is alive and fine.

Or low T.

Just remove the fish oil for a while, not entirely. T and eating can be related. You're on the low end of the "acceptable" scale where all of the "obese" people are. I challenge the metric used on the scale. Only the healthiest people should be used to determine the measure, not the ones who always have to watch what they eat etc... I have a sublingual spray that has Testosterone in it, my psychomotor skills become what I would consider acceptable when I take it and I have alot more energy, but it also has alot of other things in it too. DHEA also improves my psychomotor skills too. I'm very discoordinated w/o it. I imagine transdermal T would be great for you. Hair falling out has more to do with metabolizing T, than T itself, if you aren't metabolizing it correctly still, different problem. Biotin can help with that. In any case, I would aim for 7-9 on the T scale. Fat dudes performing better might be from them working out regularly and being in transition. History also has alot to do with it. If the fat dude was muscular until he got his first real post college office job and was an athlete or just healthy prior to that, he's always going to be healthier and have better performance than someone who was fat as a kid as all of the young growth sort of cements in those health phenotypes/expressions. Being fat as a kid damages or puts more wear on the body much faster than being fat as an adult. Were you always overweight in terms of your ideal weight or just not active? How long would you say you've had some of these feelings? Sometimes you have them for longer than you realize, so you really need to figure that out too. There are alot of social "solutions" that people give you that compensate for stuff like that and prevent one from figuring out their health. Things they say when you're feeling down to cheer you up when your problems might best be solved with hormones.

1800-2000 Calories depending on height for most people who aren't body builders or pro sportspeople IIRC. There are calculators for that kind of thing out there that can probably give you a more accurate figure. If it's something like 3000 Calories though it's wrong, that's what teenagers should be eating.

i read a paper right now saying obesity is linked to low testosterone, i calculated my BMI and it says severe obesity (it's 31), mmmh i don't consider myself obese, overweight yes but i'm not a huge load of flab, i certainly need to lose weight.
so losing weight would bring back my T levels to normal ones? sounds great to me, maybe sublingual T could be good stuff but i'm not looking forward to live eternall with meds.
where did you buy that T? i will look into biotin too.
yes i was always overweight, i was weighing 170 pounds when i was 8! vs 190 pounds today, can you imagine? i kept gaining weight until a peak 220 pounds when i was 15 then i lost radically weight when i was 15 down to 165 pounds and slowly gained more weight over 8 years.
i could use hormones temporarily but honestly i don't want to live the rest of my life on medication, i will definitely lose weight if that's the problem. i don't want to cover problems but chase them down through their root cause.

#15 YOLF

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

The T I bought is actually a homeopathic preparation that I don't trust much... Initially I had bought it because it had HGH and some others stuff in it and didn't explore the site much. The second time around I saw them talking about magic gemstones being used as part of the process and decided I didn't want to support a company that was promoting magic...

I'd get the T from your doctor. You need the extra T to build upper body muscle and I can't remember what it is, but there was something that promoted brown fat (good fat) that you should probably get too, visceral fat excess usually goes along with lower brown fat. Every pound of muscle you gain eats 40 calories a day. Once you add permanent muscle, you will always have a defense against getting overweight. 10 pounds = 400 calories a day burned. I've noticed marked increases in intelligence when I lost alot of weight, so much so that I've come to think of T as a major factor in intelligence. Dexterity and accuracy increase, no more stubbing your feet on doors or walking into things, bumping your head, or anything like that, no more clumsyness or social clumsyness (ignorance may still put you at a disadvantage). Once you have the extra muscle, it will produce metabolites that will request higher T levels and it will eventually correct itself in this way. To me, you obviously need T therapy w/muscle building to recover as much of the physique that you probably should have. There's nothing really natural about any kind of obesity... Even the chronic stuff comes from things like having a parent or grandparent of some recent order who starved for some period of time during their lifetime. I would use the T until you had a top notch BMI that would make it as difficult as possible for you to gain back the weight and them maybe another 6 months to solidify that level, and then start tapering off on the T for another 6 months (using 6 months b/c that's how long it takes to build noticeable muscle mass). After that, if your T levels didn't stay put, you could take some HMB to keep the muscle alive. Just losing the weight will not be enough, you have to correct your physiology as much as possible. Then you'll be acceptably healthy. Your body would have grown differently under different circumstances, now that it has diverged from healthy, you will need T to get there in any timely fashion. Remember T should be cheap, like $10/month from what I was reading. It's the costs associated with it being a scheduled substance that make it expensive, you should definitely be able to get a discount through one of those "If you can't afford your medications..." like Astra Zeneca or something or maybe petition the DEA for a rebate. Otherwise, it's probably covered by insurance. It was about $50/mo as "homeopathic" medicine. If your doc doesn't agree that you need a T intervention given how hard it is for most people to lose weight and keep it off, take your insurance elsewhere.

#16 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

right i've heard about this one, so i guess my problem could be very high MAO activity? i like the idea of selegiline and will ask my doc about it but what can cause high MAO activity? i don't want to live perpetually on medication if i could naturally reduce MAO it would be kinda great, is this genetic or due to my way of life? i couldn't find much information on the cause of high MAO

Yep, it's likely due to your way of life, check this study : http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1186461/

The specific activity of monoamine oxidase was found to be greater in liver mitochondria from ob/ob mice than from lean mice.

Start losing weight and you will likely see the difference.

#17 Psionic

• 187 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Low testosterone levels/ heal your gut = heal your brain.

You can try literally trillions of supplements but how do you get wrecked car into prime shape, just by pouring rocket fuel into its reservoir?

Things which will not hurt and you can try to test if that helps:

Strong Beef stock (broth) cooked bones for 24hours, it has helped my energy levels tremendously, boost imunity, repair your gut and stomach (taken not only from chinese medicine). I cook about 3-4 litres which is about a week supply, store in the fridge and then drink reheated every day in the morning about 300-700ml, fastest and strongest breakfast you can get, believe me :)

Tongkat Ali (get one real, list of scams: http://ahelu.com/), its pricey but only one of most effective natural testosterone booster which can currently "repair" bodys own testo production.

Do not eat sugar, excess sacharides, junk food and so on.. keep it rather on boiled vegetables and add some spirulina as a protein source (buy in big quantity in kg and you can get $25/kg which is 700g (70%) of clean protein with natural vitamines, chlorophyl and other *)

Exercise

Edited by Psionic, 10 April 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#18 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

You said you snore loudly; a sign of apnea/hyponea (stopping or not breathing well during sleep), its especially common in obese middle age males (middle age onset is the most common) but you can also have central apnea/hyponea from birth. It is certainly worth either having MSLTs (multiple sleep latency tests) + nocturnal oximetry/specific sleep related breathing disorders test (little machine you rent for a night then send back) or a full polysomnogram + MSLT's depending on your price range/insurance/country. I doubt this will explain all of your problems - it might - but you have all the obvious symptoms of apnea and it should be chased down. This is an easily treated disorder. Get to the doctor, get referred to a psychiatrist, neurologist, respirologist or sleep medicine specalist(psychiatrist (with a sub specialty in neurology if possible) preferably) and get tested. If this is a significant problem there is no other treatment for it than that which a good medic can prescribe, they should be physical interventions. CPAP machine, other breathing machine, surgercal inteventions are a possibility. Sleep deprivation (caused by apnea/hyponea) would also explain some of your weight gain and compound the apnea problems anyway.

Symptoms of paranoia, unusual beliefs, depressive disorders, anxiety and cognitive abnormalities point towards a much more likely schizotypic disorder with some schizoid traits - taking into account length of the problem. Poor response to Prozac (which can give psudopsychotic symptoms in perfectly normal people) is arguably another indicator. If this is the case then a year long course of low dose aripiprazole (acts as a partial agonist on dopamine receptors normalizing neuronal firing). The addition of an SSRI might be an idea after 2-3 weeks of treatment with the aripiprazole. Some of these symptoms could also be explained my a mild autistic disorder.

DO NOT take selegiline until you have tried plenty of other meds, it can be dangerous, side effects are often unpleasant and its not evidenced as a first line treatment. Especially in what ever is wrong with you.

The symptoms of low T are: They don't sound like you, other than the cognitive/affective symptoms. Guys stop looking for zebra's.
In both sexes

Symptoms of hypogonadism in both sexes may includ Exclusively in men - if this sounds like you, then yes low T is likely although treatment with an antidepressant is still likely going to be needed

Symptoms of hypogonadism exclusive to men may include:* referenced off Wikipedia.

Edited by Tom_, 10 April 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#19 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Judging from your symptoms, I think testosterone and general health might be the problem.
There is treatment for hypogonadism. Look up Clomid and Letrozole.
They did wonders for me.

Before you try anything though, test your hormone levels.
Ofc, no pharmaceutical intervention will do shit unless you fix your diet and health.
Eat right: Meat, veggies, eggs and nuts. Exercise: 5-15 minutes a day is all you need. (really!)
And look into Clomid and Letrozole (or any other AI) for testosterone replacement.

#20 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

For the second and last time, as of yet the OP has not given any indication of endocrine disorders. Think before you post!

Letrozole is the single most rediculous suggestion for treating hypogonadism I have ever come across still in the relms of pharms. Its used to treat breast cancer, induce labour and ovarian stimulation! In no way would it be useful for hypogonadism. Clomifene (clomid) is only useful in secondary hypogonadism. Even if the OP does have hypogonadism as I have said it seems very unlikely then your suggestions for treatment are rediculous at best.

exercise should be under taken for about 40 minutes 4 times a week. 5-15 unless very intense is pretty useless.
  • dislike x 1

#21 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Try losing as much weight as possible to get lean, increasing your T will help burn fat and you can combine this with a soft MAOI such as selegiline or rasagiline to help you with the zombie feeling.
White adipocytes which are fat cells produce both a lot of estrogens and a lot of MAO : http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10571247
  • like x 1

#22 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Those symptoms sound to me like catecholamine deficit, plain and easy.
No motivation, not able to focus, or concentrate for a longer period, being tired... that are all signs of a lack of dopamine, adrenaline and noradrenaline.

They all are being produced in the same pathway. So if this process is fucked up, depending on where, some or all of those neurotransmitters will become deficient.

The question is where you want to start. For starters, I would decrease fish oil. And switch to a brand with high EPA and low DHA. Unless you are still young enough that your brain still develops, and unless you are taking a substance that kickstarts the brains regeneration process (like uridine), epa is more important then dha.

Following my hypothesis that you are low in catecholamines, this is what you should do:
get your vitamin d and iron levels measured. If you are deficient, start supplementing and recheck your blood levels until you are in the optimal range.
get a b-complex with high b vitamin dosage (except folate, that should be around 400mcg)
start supplementing with magnesium,
see to it that you have a diet rich in calcium,
supplement with vitamin c.

If you have done this, you will have checked all cofactors in catecholamine production.

If this is not enough, you might want to supplement with catecholamine precursors.
You could start with phenylalanine. if that alone does not help, you could add tyrosine - but don't high dose it.

If this still does not help, forget tyrosine, and try mucuna pruriens seed extract. An explanation about mucuna from me is in the chemically induced ltp thread. It is IMPORTANT to understand that you will need mucuna pruriens seed powder. You do not want any kind of extract, or pure l-dopa. this is very, very important because the extracts and pure l-dopa are neurotoxic, while mucuna seed powder (powder from the whole bean) is in fact neuroreplenishing and neuroprotective. I have used 5-15g/day, but 5g is sufficient for most including me, unless I am in very stressful situations.

You can also combine it with the uridine stack (cofactors + mucuna + uridine stack(uridine, o3, choline source) and with the ciltep stack (forskolin, artichoke). Keep in mind that you do not need additional dopamine / catecholamine support if you need to take mucuna seed powder anyways.

This should work if its the catecholamines. The question remains why you have those problems. If you feel alright only taking the cofactors, you know why, you had an deficiency. If you need to go the whole way, there is another cause.

Maybe your thinking strategies put you under a lot of stress. in this case I recommend cbt. If you live in a stressful environment, try to reduce stress, change the environment if possible. If you have a traumatic past..., well, it depends. cbt, psychotherapy. If you suffered from brain damage, you need to find ways to regenerate your brain. All these possible causes can lead to brain damage, if they are chronic. However, cbt/psychotherapy/supplementation and/or medication that stops those symptoms will help the brain to recover. And the uridine stack also helps with regeneration.

Another route, also compatible to what I wrote is to increase acetylcholine, but thats stuff for another post.

And like the other posters said,

check tsh, t3 and t4, (thyroid),
free testosterone, total testosterone, fsh, lh (testosterone)

And doing cardio at relatively high intensity would also help to kickstart your metabolism.

Edited by BioFreak, 21 April 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#23 YOLF

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Try DHEA too, I notice a marked improvement in memory and acuity when I take it.

#24 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

For the second and last time, as of yet the OP has not given any indication of endocrine disorders. Think before you post!

Letrozole is the single most rediculous suggestion for treating hypogonadism I have ever come across still in the relms of pharms. Its used to treat breast cancer, induce labour and ovarian stimulation! In no way would it be useful for hypogonadism. Clomifene (clomid) is only useful in secondary hypogonadism. Even if the OP does have hypogonadism as I have said it seems very unlikely then your suggestions for treatment are rediculous at best.e

exercise should be under taken for about 40 minutes 4 times a week. 5-15 unless very intense is pretty useless.

Worst post ever.
Letrozole and Clomid is very commonly used to treat hypogonadism.
And my 200%+ increase in T after starting therapy is enough to convince me that you're full of shit. (from 250 to 790 ng/dl in one year)

5-15 minutes of high intensity exercise is all you need. A few times a week.
I get this dose daily though, since I'm feeling manlier, stronger and smarter than ever, just from three simple methods:
Eating eggs, meat and nuts daily, letrozole and clomid, and short intense exercise sessions every day.

HIIT exercise has proven MANY times over to be one of the most effective form of exercise for burning fat.

And, posted above, too much adipose tissue can explain the symptoms of low monoamines and NE.

To OP: The only reason for your feeling like a zombie is low monoamines. They ARE your mood.
Now investigate backwards, what the cause could be of you having low monoamines.
Possible explanations: Too much caffeine or other stimulants, a dysfunctional organ (ex. the adrenal glands), low testosterone, too much fat, or psychological reasons: you may need to change your thinking and/or surroundings.

Edited by chung_pao, 21 April 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#25 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Now you changed from 5-15 minutes of exercise to HIIT we are in perfect agreement, ideally HIIT is more like 10-20 minutes as it will give time for the body to do its thing. Which means you can get away with doing exercise 3-4 times a week.

I'm most certainly not full of shit...evidence based medicine on the other hand..maybe. I don't care if people like to use Letrozole and Clomid, unless you can provide a nice big juicy metanalysis or some really massive RTC's you are talking out of your arse (no morbidly obese males do not count plus the studies are tiny - in the case of letrozole (in the case of them in combo I couldn't find a single paper on pubmed).

If you had low T, Clomid would have helped providing it was a secondary syndrome in which case I would be more interested with finding out WHAT was causing the low T.

If you didn't have low T or weren't tested and you started chucking clomid and letrozole down your neck, you are an idiot, end of. I'm guessing from what you said you did.

A good 12-15% of your diet should be protein - depending on your lifestyle. You probably had a sub-clinical protein deficiency if you weren't eating meat, nuts or eggs daily which surprise surprise can cause...HYPOGONADISM. That was hard to guess.

Add in the placebo effect and we have a perfectly plausible explanation for why you are feeling better. You didn't eat enough protein hence no cholesterol and god knows what else, you thought you would get better and low and behold and you did. You also started some exercise which is excellent for making you feel better...you also probs look better and are more ripped, wow you also now feel manly! And yes I'm sure clomid played some part in increasing your levels of T if they where low.

If they were clinical deficient i.e. actually requiring a referral to an endo then you would of had other symptoms. The OP is not or at least has not yet reported them! Until then its ridiculous to assume Low T.

I don't know how you can on a scientific forum claim the monoamine are someones mood. That's so genralized its laughable. Following your reasoning we could just pump someone full of SSRI's and ritalin and they would be happy as can be. Means Tatiapine doesn't work as an AD, antipsychotics will make you more depressed....

The vast majority of the function of the monoamines has nothing to do with affect and mood. Next there are a clusterfuck of other neurotransmitters involved in the process in some way. Above that neurotransmitters are just one part of affect and mood.

Edited by Tom_, 21 April 2013 - 11:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#26 Breezey

• 55 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Sounds alot like me. I am looking into depersonalization disorder. Modafinil seems to be the way to go. Selegeline could help too.
http://en.wikipedia....zation_disorder

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zombie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users