- - - - -

Need some advice on my longevity and brain health

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 exapted

• 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

Dear everyone,

I am 26.5 years old, and for the past 4 years I have been moving around between 3 countries, learning languages, finishing grad school, starting a business, smoking a little meth here and there (about 5 times before but never again), and living a very stress filled life. The past year has been about the most stressful in my life. I don't think it has been good for my brain, but I do think that I am young and fit enough to fully recover (although I am swimming upstream because more stress awaits me).

MY GOALS:
Currently I am composing a set of plans regarding nutrition, exercise, supplementation and stress management. The operative goals of my supplement plan are longevity and long-term brain health. I'm not in the academic world currently and don't need to optimize my cognitive abilities in the short term. However I would like to optimize my long-term cognitive abilities and mental health. Therefore, any supplement I take should be shown to improve these factors in some progressive way or at least protect against damage. Thus the question I would like to ask about any supplement is the following. Will it help me ten years from now if I start taking now?

Ok. I certainly need to do more reading. But I was hoping to get two things from this post.
1. Some direction on information regarding my supplement plan with respect to my goals.
2. Some critiquing of my current list of supplements I am considering taking.

MY CURRENT LIST:

Vitamins/Minerals including:
1 x 10,000iu Vitamin A
3 x 50mg B-complex
3 x 1g Vitamin C
1 x 400iu Vitamin E
Calcium, Manesium, Selenium, etc. (actually I will most likely take the life extension mix)
SOMETHING for choline:
10g lecithin per day
Or what about Alpha GPC, CDP Choline or Choline Bitartrate?
What is the most efficient way to get choline and hence boost acetylcholine?
Would Galanthamine be helpful to long-term brain/mind health?
DMAE seems interesting but is it necessary?
Something for Dopamine and Norepinephrine:
1mg Deprenyl every other day
500mg N-acetyl tyrosine
500mg DL-Phenylalanine
I prefer to only take deprenyl but if the aminos help I will take them!
Herbs:
3 x 40mg Ginkgo Biloba
2 x 100mg Bacopa (is this enough to protect against stress?)
2 x 500mg Ashwaghanda
Other Nootropics:
2 x 100mg Phosphatidyl serine
2 x 500mg Acetyl l-carnitine & 2 x 150mg RLA
2 x 1g Piracetam
1 x 100mg TMG (included in life extension mix)
Other:
2g fish oil (is this enough?)
50g whey protein including 4.6g added l-glutamine
5-6g spirulina

Some others I am considering:
Picamilon
Vinpocetine

Some other goals:
Reduce anxiety (This is involved in long term brain health by I thought I would mention it. I am also starting meditation and increasing cardiovascular exercise. I already weight train and used to be an avid long-distance runner.)
Reduce and protect against cortisol, improve overall energy

Any pointers, or suggestions of other supplements that would help me in my goals?

This site is amazing. I have been looking for something like this for a long time!

Thanks everyone.

#2 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:47 AM

[quote]Will it help me ten years from now if I start taking now?

Yes.

MY CURRENT LIST:

Vitamins/Minerals including:
1 x 10,000iu Vitamin A
3 x 50mg B-complex
3 x 1g Vitamin C
1 x 400iu Vitamin E
Calcium, Manesium, Selenium, etc. (actually I will most likely take the life extension mix)
SOMETHING for choline:
10g lecithin per day
Or what about Alpha GPC, CDP Choline or Choline Bitartrate?
What is the most efficient way to get choline and hence boost acetylcholine?[/quote]

I would drop the lecithin.

Take cdp-choline, Alpha GPC, centrophenoxine and PPC together for long term Ach and cellular membrane benefits.

[quote]Would Galanthamine be helpful to long-term brain/mind health?[/quote]

Yes in low doses 4-8 mg.

[quote]DMAE seems interesting but is it necessary?[/quote]

Yes, but centrophenoxine is a far better form.

[quote]Something for Dopamine and Norepinephrine:
1mg Deprenyl every other day
500mg N-acetyl tyrosine
500mg DL-Phenylalanine
I prefer to only take deprenyl but if the aminos help I will take them![/quote]

The aminos will help but deprenyl it far more important for antiaging effects, try 0.5 mg daily

[quote]Herbs:
3 x 40mg Ginkgo Biloba[/quote]

LEF’s Japan gingko 120 mg is the best in my opinion.

[quote]2 x 100mg Bacopa (is this enough to protect against stress?)[/quote]

I would take at least 300 mg 50%

[quote]2 x 500mg Ashwaghanda[/quote]

Good idea.

[quote]Other Nootropics:
2 x 100mg Phosphatidyl serine[/quote]

Not worth it and not a nootropic

[quote]2 x 500mg Acetyl l-carnitine & 2 x 150mg RLA[/quote]

Fine, but consider the KRALA.

[quote]2 x 1g Piracetam[/quote]

That’s very low I would double it for long term benefits.

[quote]1 x 100mg TMG (included in life extension mix)[/quote]

Consider 500-1,000 mg daily for proper methylation.

[quote]Other:
2g fish oil (is this enough?)[/quote]

With a good brand yes.

[quote]50g whey protein including 4.6g added l-glutamine[/quote]

This is fine.

[quote]Some others I am considering:
Picamilon
Vinpocetine[/quote]

Both interesting but for long term take vinpocetine or try vincamine.

[quote]Some other goals:
Reduce anxiety (This is involved in long term brain health by I thought I would mention it. I am also starting meditation and increasing cardiovascular exercise. I already weight train and used to be an avid long-distance runner.)
Reduce and protect against cortisol, improve overall energy[/quote]

DHEA (have your DHEA sulfate levels checked before taking), L-Theanine, Glycine, Inositol, and phenibut as needed.

[quote]Any pointers, or suggestions of other supplements that would help me in my goals?[/quote]

Yes.

As far as the brain add a fat soluble racetam like aniracetam, Hydergine, GH3, creatine, methyl-B12, Idebenone, and well the list goes on.

As far as the body anti glycations are VERY important Carnosine, Taurine, Benfotiamine, and Pyridoxamine. Immune system is also important Imm-kine, Biostim, Thymic protein A, etc.

Any of my suggestions I can explain in far more detail, jst ask.

[quote]This site is amazing. I have been looking for something like this for a long time!

Thanks everyone. [/quote]

Your welcome.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 exapted

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

Your response is most appreciated. I am going to read more in regards to your response and post some follow up questions hopefully shortly.

I have read about your regimen and it blew my mind. Would you mind telling me what your overall objectives are?

#4 magr

• 157 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

Add 800mg Rhodiola Rosea (3% Rosavins). Great adaptogen.
This will help you with stress, it has helped me MUCH more than I thought was possible.
Some people take up to 120mg Rosavins but I get results with 24mg (800mg).

Rhodiola is supposed to reduce cortisol, to what extent I don't know. It helps with recovery from cardio aswell.

Ashwagandha, Bacopa and Rhodiola Rosea are commonly stacked together for a very powerful adaptogen stack.

#5 exapted

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:50 AM

After reading a while longer, I think I better ask some questions.

I would drop the lecithin.

Take cdp-choline, Alpha GPC, centrophenoxine and PPC together for long term Ach and cellular membrane benefits.

I see that you take about 250mg of each daily. Should these be taken in divided doses? If I were to remove one of two of these which ones would be most important to keep?

Not worth it and not a nootropic
This surprised me.

I see that you take KRALA. Do you take 300mg of the salt, or something like 750mg of the salt with 40% RALA and so 300mg RALA? And do you take it in divided doses?

DHEA (have your DHEA sulfate levels checked before taking), L-Theanine, Glycine, Inositol, and phenibut as needed.
I am reading up on these. I have a lot of decaffeinated green tea extract from BAC. Is that as good as L-theanine? Can Inositol be used daily?

As far as the brain add a fat soluble racetam like aniracetam, Hydergine, GH3, creatine, methyl-B12, Idebenone, and well the list goes on.

As far as the body anti glycations are VERY important Carnosine, Taurine, Benfotiamine, and Pyridoxamine. Immune system is also important Imm-kine, Biostim, Thymic protein A, etc.

Any of my suggestions I can explain in far more detail, jst ask.

Thanks. I will.

Some questions I have right now:
What is the benefit of taking different racetams at the same time? Is Hydergine useful for long-term brain health? And, what does procaine do for you?

I have a boatload of taurine. I see that you take about 1250mg of carnosine per day. That surprised me because I had read that 300mg is the most that should be taken per day.

Right now I assume the most important factor for longevity is diet/calories, exercise and lifestyle. Do you think this is correct? And other than that, assuming optimal brain health, what do you think increases maximal lifespan (as opposed ot average lifespan) the most? Glycation inhibitors/breakers and telomere lengtheners (carnosine)?

Some things about your regimen that I am curious about.
I see that you use Ortho-Core, which doesn't contain as high of doses as LEF Mix but does contain a better profile of some categories such as vitamin E and vitamin B. I have read recently that basicaly megadosing on B-vitamins is a useful strategy, so I am a little confused why there are relatively low doses of B-vitamins in Ortho-Core (but I know you take sublingual B-12 - I take 1mg sublingually per day). It also seems you don't take much vitamin C. I am confused. Is megadosing contrived?

I'll stop here for now. Thanks.

#6 exapted

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

Add 800mg Rhodiola Rosea (3% Rosavins). Great adaptogen.
This will help you with stress, it has helped me MUCH more than I thought was possible.
Some people take up to 120mg Rosavins but I get results with 24mg (800mg).

Rhodiola is supposed to reduce cortisol, to what extent I don't know. It helps with recovery from cardio aswell.

Ashwagandha, Bacopa and Rhodiola Rosea are commonly stacked together for a very powerful adaptogen stack.

Thank you. I will read up on Rhodiola. So many things to read about... [glasses]

#7 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:33 AM

Lifemirage, I for one would like you tell me more about the immune boosting supplements. Also, if you had to pick one of them for a 22 year old man who excercises who would like to help prevent sinus infection and the cold, which one would it be, and why? Thank-you very much!

#8 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

What kind of exercise plan do you have in mind?

#9 enemy

• 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

From what I've read on 1fast's forum, glutamine has some substantial immune boosting functions.

#10 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:19 PM

also...

non-supplement advice
exercise everyday... but keep your heart rate below 140 for most of the time. that might reduce the cortisol, I think if you keep to mostly anaerobic, but I have yet to find more about exercise and how it affects cortisol.
Get 15 minutes of outside sunlight a day.
Wake up at the same time everyday.
Do yoga or meditation
Check your cortisol levels with your DHEA levels in blood tests...It is a simple test with your primary care physician. make sure to stop taking DHEA and nicotine prior to tests.
Make sure you get at least 1 gram of EPA fish oil...perhaps more...check the journals. Perhaps I should take more too?

find out more about how exercise can both reduce and increase cortisol which is the hormone responsible for stress (as far as I have read). Too much intense exercise increases stress which is bad for the brain, but too little exercise and you lose out on increased GABA and relaxation from exercise. You will also have a decrease in neural growth factor in the brain if there is not enough exercise in the brain.

#11 exapted

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

also...

non-supplement advice
exercise everyday...  but keep your heart rate below 140 for most of the time.  that might reduce the cortisol, I think if you keep to mostly anaerobic, but I have yet to find more about exercise and how it affects cortisol.
Get 15 minutes of outside sunlight a day.
Wake up at the same time everyday.
Do yoga or meditation
Check your cortisol levels with your DHEA levels in blood tests...It is a simple test with your primary care physician.  make sure to stop taking DHEA and nicotine prior to tests.
Make sure you get at least 1 gram of EPA fish oil...perhaps more...check the journals.  Perhaps I should take more too?

find out more about how exercise can both reduce and increase cortisol which is the hormone responsible for stress (as far as I have read).  Too much intense exercise increases stress which is bad for the brain, but too little exercise and you lose out on increased GABA and relaxation from exercise.  You will also have a decrease in neural growth factor in the brain if there is not enough exercise in the brain.

Thank you.

I prefer intense running, and I enjoy lifting weights. So I think I'll settle for doing somewhat intense running for 3 months, then settle back into slower cardio plus brief weight training once my cardiovascular fitness has nearly peaked again. I have gotten out of shape in the last year. Not only that but I have gotten sick several times, had average nutrition at best and haven't had a very nice sleeping schedule (lots of getting up early, working late, and sleeping in on sundays).

I really don't want to use supplements as a crutch. And I want to read and consider for perhaps another month before I change my supplement plan. I guess supplements would be a reward for fixing up my health.

Right now I am using:
Mega-men multi 1-dose including 50mg B-complex and 200mg calcium
Vitamin C 3g
Vitamin E 400iu
B-12 sublingual 1mg
calcium 400mg
50g whey protein with 4.6g l-glutamine
American ginseng about 1g
L-lysine 1g
N-acetyl L-tyrosine 500mg
I have lots of ALCAR but my RALA seems to have gotten slightly chunky so I haven't been using any of that.

For the time being, I will buy some lecithin and ginkgo locally. Once I decide on a supplement plan I will order all of it. I am in Hong Kong so I will have it all sent to one address in the US and then have it shipped in one package to my business address in Hong Kong. I am willing to spend quite a bit of money and time to consider, find and purchase a full spectrum of products to help my long-term health.

MY CURRENT EXERCISE REGIMEN done usually in the evenings:
o1-2 days per week
§ 30-40 minutes of intense, heavy, non-stop lifting, followed by
§ 15 minutes of moderate running
o1-2 days per week
§ 5 minutes of speed training, followed by
§ 40 minutes of non-stop endurance/volume lifting, followed by
§ 30 minutes of running fairly fast
o2 days per week
§ 30 minutes running fairly fast

3 days of weight training per week. On some weeks the lifts could be heavy 2 out of 3 of the days, and on some weeks the lifts could be endurance/volume 2 out of 3 days. Running 2 days per week, for a total of 5 days per week in the gym (or at least on a treadmill). In order to improve energy levels, it is optimal to exercise every day. If this is done, it might be prudent to actually limit the amount of daily walking, in order to conserve energy/calories for higher quality and more life enhancing exercise.

MY CURRENT NUTRITION REGIMEN:
Morning: fruits + nuts + whey protein + supplements + espresso, blended all up
Lunch: rice + veggies + fish/tofu
Late Afternoon: honestly, fast food / cakes
Evening: chinese noodles with squid or fish, lots of veggies
Night: skim milk

My first plan is to eliminate the afternoon stuff and replace it with something more nutritious. Then I want to add a larger variety of vegetables, just the right kinds of fruits such as guava, papaya, and mainly whey protein, raw or smoked fish, or tofu for protein. Its pretty simple actually.

I do plan to start some simple yoga I read in the book Brain Longevity, as well as meditation. But this will be at least a month because I am very busy and need to work on one thing at a time.

Regarding the blood tests: Is testing DHEA and cortisol levels expensive compared to say... testing for hepatitis anti-bodies? And is it really necessary until I make my life a bit more "regular"?

Thanks.

#12 exapted

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

One more thing I am curious about:
Most of you will be familiar with LEF Life Extension Mix, and AOR Ortho Core. Which one is better and why? Compare the doses of Life Extension Mix with those of Ortho Core. Life Extension Mix just has more ingredients and higher doses. So it seems better to me. But maybe thats because I am a layperson and when I see lots of stuff, and each one relates to some article in a health magazine I have seen perhaps once, it just seems better to me. Higher doses too. But are such doses as are in Life Extension Mix demonstrated to actually do anything?

#13 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

I just look at myself at that age and think I was about ready to kill a lot of brain cells not from drugs and alcohol but from work, stress and more stress.

Don't think because you are going to work-out and eat well that you can have a stress filled life-style that won't have a negative impact on the brain as I did. Now, I must say that I only think my memory problems are from stress, but I have a strong feeling about that.

DHEA and cortisol test should be covered by your insurance. Your doctor just writes in DHEA and cortisol on the blood test check list at the bottom after you ask to check the basics. Renal, liver, thyroid, cbc, cholesterol and everything else.

Actually since I am looing at my blood/urine/fecal analyses that I will get:
Comp metabolic panel
Lipid Panel <--good to know the cholesterol
CBC (inc platelets, no diff)
CRP, cardio <--- something having to do with stress and the heart
folic acid, serum
The STD tests of course

microalbumin, random urine
RPR/Rflx to Titer
T4 Free
TSH
Urinalysis w/micro, Rflx to Cult
Vitamin B12
Occult Blood stool X3 <-- so I don't have to turn my head and cough.
DHEA <--I asked for it for stress. Don't smoke before hand or take DHEA supplements before hand or for many days, who knows?
Cortisol <--<--I asked for it for stress.
Measles, Mumps and Rubellas Antibodies <--before he gives me another needle full of those vaccines on the next visit. He wants to make sure that I don't get more than one vaccination if I have already been recently vaccinated.
Hep A, and Hep B antibodies and antigens <--before he gives me the vaccination.

I would imagine DHEA/Cortisol is cheaper than hepatitus blood tests since those are so expensive but scottl is a doctor so he would know. If if is expensive and you don't have insurance then consider an expensive saliva test.

#14 exapted

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

How old are you pinballwizard?

My health insurance plan in HK is pretty skimpy. It doesn't cover regular checkups. So, I think I will just pay for a blood test.

Are you sure your memory problems aren't related to neurotransmitters and not long-term brain degeneration?

#15 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

cortisol, I think. that is a stress hormone. I am 31 yo.

#16 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:17 AM

Your response is most appreciated. I am going to read more in regards to your response and post some follow up questions hopefully shortly.

I have read about your regimen and it blew my mind. Would you mind telling me what your overall objectives are?

Sure.

Basically Enhancing:

Cognition (as well as brain protection against Aging & neurodegenerative disorders)

Immune Functioning

Bio-Pathway Targeted AntiAging [Inhibiting or Reversing the various biochemical causes & factors in Aging]

Looking, Feeling, and Being (biochemically) healthy

Also I still have to list the other 20 or so supplements/compounds I take when I get a chance.

Yours In Health

#17 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:40 AM

I see that you take about 250mg of each daily. Should these be taken in divided doses? If I were to remove one of two of these which ones would be most important to keep?

Tough call cdp-choline is so much better studied, but currently costs more. For now I would take the GPC.

I see that you take KRALA. Do you take 300mg of the salt, or something like 750mg of the salt with 40% RALA and so 300mg RALA? And do you take it in divided doses?

I take elemental 300 mg divided in the morning & afternoon. I may switch to MITO-GOLD®, but am awaiting more research.

I am reading up on these. I have a lot of decaffeinated green tea extract from BAC. Is that as good as L-theanine

?

No, the amount found in green tea varies and is normally too low to feel.

Can Inositol be used daily?

Yes.

What is the benefit of taking different racetams at the same time?

Though chemically related they have different effects & pharmacokinetics.

Is Hydergine useful for long-term brain health?

Hydergine is a Great antiaging and Nootropic compound.

And, what does procaine do for you?

Procaine (only stabilized forms like GH3, KH3, or GH7 work) has a mild mental pick me up, mood boosting and well as physically energizer effect on me.

I have a boatload of taurine. I see that you take about 1250mg of carnosine per day. That surprised me because I had read that 300mg is the most that should be taken per day.

The dose is a debate between IAS and LEF. Based on human research 1,000-1,500 mg is safe.

Right now I assume the most important factor for longevity is diet/calories, exercise and lifestyle. Do you think this is correct?

It is one of the most important.

And other than that, assuming optimal brain health, what do you think increases maximal lifespan (as opposed ot average lifespan) the most? Glycation inhibitors/breakers and telomere lengtheners (carnosine)?

As far as research shows SOD upregulators like Bacopa, Deprenyl, and Hydergine.

Some things about your regimen that I am curious about.
I see that you use Ortho-Core, which doesn't contain as high of doses as LEF Mix but does contain a better profile of some categories such as vitamin E and vitamin B. I have read recently that basicaly megadosing on B-vitamins is a useful strategy, so I am a little confused why there are relatively low doses of B-vitamins in Ortho-Core (but I know you take sublingual B-12 - I take 1mg sublingually per day). It also seems you don't take much vitamin C. I am confused. Is megadosing contrived?

I’ve taken the LEF mix for over 10 years on and off. I am currently trying the Ortho-Core as a test, which so far I like. There is no perfect multiple. As far as the massive doses of B vitamins in the LEF mix, the coenzyme forms are far more effective at lower doses. I do take Vitamin C just have not listed it yet. Megadosing can be safe for some nutrients but for other taking the active forms are better

I'll stop here for now. Thanks.

Your Welcome.

Yours In Health

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:50 AM

Lifemirage, I for one would like you tell me more about the immune boosting supplements. Also, if you had to pick one of them for a 22 year old man who excercises who would like to help prevent sinus infection and the cold, which one would it be, and why? Thank-you very much!

Biostim would be perfect for you. It basically acts like a natural oral vaccine against bacteria. It is a protein extract from bacteria, that in laymen terms shows the immune cells the blueprints of bacteria so it knows how to and where to attack.

As long as you do not have an autoimmune disease it is considered safe. Have a basic CBC (blood test) before taking.

Yours In Health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users