• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Age of spiritual Machines, the album

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wassname

• 63 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:53 AM

The Canadian band Our Lady Peace, wrote an album in tribute to Ray Kurzweils book 'the age of spiritual machines'. With spoken samples from Kurzweil.

It’s interesting, an album from a popular band on slightly transhumanist themes - although this album is not one of their most popular.

http://www.amazon.co...=music&n=507846

It also has a sound bite by kurzweil about the necessity of death to the human psyche??? [huh]

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

Yes, I mentioned this album in another thread somewhere...

The music is interesting, kind of psychedelic. There's also some extra Kurzweil audio at the end if you fast forward the CD for around 15 or 16 minutes.

And yes, Kurzweil has compared the human psyche in a deathless world to the gambler's delimma from that Twilight Zone episode. I do not really agree with this contention. I do not believe that "death gives meaning to our lives". However at the same time I can not see a strictly human level intelligence existing in its present state indefinitely. I mean, can you really see yourself existing in your present human form in a million years. I do tend to think that I would get bored at some point in the distant future...mainly because no matter how hard you strive, your consciousness is restricted by the limitations of your substrate. This is why greater than human intelligence is an absolute necessity in the future.

• Lurker

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

This is why greater than human intelligence is an absolute necessity in the future.

Oh I agree. I've remarked in a few of my posts that truly indefinite lifespans are incompatible with the human condition.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 wassname

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

http://www.imminst.o...773
Thanks, I found that, but thought it could have a separate mention.

Yeah, I completely agree. The thing about living forever, for me, is not uniform timelessness. But time to change and improve. In a sense death could give our lives meaning, but many other things could do it better.
I was surprised that Kurzweil had this view, it seems out of character considering his books 'live long enough to live forever'.

#5 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

wassname

But time to change and improve

Heh, I find myself excited trying to explain this, because I believe you may have missed a rather veiled reference that runs through out the album.

I've actually had the pleasure of meeting the band members from OLP on a few occasions. They're all what I would considered "interesting free thinker" types, so I can see why Kurzweil's AOSM would appeal to them on a thematic level.

The whole point in incorporating that Kurzweil quote was to imply that things won't be staying the same in the future -- more over, that things can't stay the same in the future. IOW, the album was making a statement: the *human mind* is destined to evolve into a higher level form.

#6 wassname

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:10 AM

OH! damn of course. The 'human' psyche. I really should have seen that.

Yeah these guys are very deep for a popular band, and very wide minded - 'interesting free thinkers' says it nicely.
Meeting OLP, a few times. Lucky bastard!

#7 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

Spiritual machines?

I thought the thread's topic is about the use of technological contrivances in furtherance of spiritual acts, like the prayer wheels of Tibetan Buddhists.

My apologies.

Anyway, I think Kurzweil can do religion a great favor to produce machines which can take the job of doing spiritual acts for humans, so that we can attend to more immediately pressing matters of this life of flesh and blood.

For example, set up machines to sing the praise of God or Allah, and to meditate on Nirvana in the case of Buddhists. Then we can all continue to do science and philosophy, and enjoy whatever of earthly delights we be capable of during our brief sojourn before the arrival of 'immortality' courtesy of guys like the scientists here.

Susma

#8 wassname

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:13 AM

Ah! glad to have your apologies in advance.

Indeed! that would be far more effeciant, im sure it will be warmly recieved. You could also set up multipile advance confessions. And if you have a balanced bank account, automaticly balance your karma.
Have we glimpsed the leading edge relegion! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users