• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

TDCS electrode placement and effects

tdcs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 soulfiremage

• 104 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

My machine will be here today and I'm researching again, electrode placement.

It occurs to me that cathedral placement hyperpolerises and depotentiates the region beneath it, therefore right cathode placement would reduce the effect the right frontal cortex has on processing. So is it plausible that there is a reasonable placement to evenly excite or depotentiate both sides?

#2 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

I suppose hypothetically if you were to place an anode on the left DLPFC and a cathode on the right, for 10 minutes, and then switch the electrodes, stimulate for another 10 minutes, would bring that effect. However, if you want action on both sides, it would seem more logical to place the cathode on the shoulder with both instances, and merely switch the anode after ten minutes. Same goes for, for whatever intent, inhibiting both sides.

If you only want disinhibition, placing the cathode on the shoulder is usually how it's done.
Note that this is only my personal speculation, perhaps do some searches to confirm this.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 soulfiremage

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Ok, I thought I needed to excite both sides?

I'll do some homework before electrocuting later, I'll let you know.

#4 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hmm I wouldn't know precisely. I need to do some more research as well.
I just read in the other thread that cathode on the shoulder seems to lessen overall effect. Perhaps cathode at the Occipital lobe.. I don't know, I'd say: start out with preconceived settings, once your cognition is enhanced by that you can learn all you need to know about placement I suppose :D

#5 treatrayner

• 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I have been using my tDCS unit for six weeks. Usually 20min per day - Anode over left eye, Cathode over right temple for pain managment and depression. It is a powerful tool but you should educate yourself about electrode placement before you use it.

#6 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

treatrayner: Thanks for sharing, could you provide 10-20 locations?

#7 SUB-Rx

• 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

Electrode placement guidance from TCT:
http://www.trans-cra...an_v1_0_pdf.pdf

I typically go with anodal stimulation of the DLPFC:
http://brmlab.cz/_de...in_hacking:tdcs

I've had very positive results relating to the link below... I'm still testing different placements, but with a 7X10cm sponge with anodal stimulation on CP5, and the cathode on my right shoulder, I get very noticable effects.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3486958/

Edited by SUB-Rx, 09 May 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi there, just wondering what machine you use.

#9 treatrayner

• 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

I use a 10 - 20 placement of Fp1 anode & T8 cathode. Basically (+) directly over left eye and ( - ) just in front of right ear for pain managment and depression casued by injury in a plane crash Aug 2001

The tDCS unit is from a kit I put together.

If you want to track your progress I found this brain game online for free. Be careful its addicting !

http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

Attached Files

Edited by treatrayner, 09 May 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#10 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

SUB-Rx: Thanks for those links! Have you been able to do the meusurements by yourself (e.g. with a mirror?). I plan to shave my head anyway, but I might need the help of another person regarding markings. I suppose once you have the desired locations, you could find an easier way to measure it. Tattoo's could be an option, haha.

treatrayner: can't seem to find T8 on the 10-20 map I'm using for referance here. Do you mean F8?
I can recommend Dual-N-Back, it's a good braingame. However, it is not nearly as entertaining as many other braingames can be.

#11 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

Apart from Brain Workshop, which is great for working memory training via visuo-spatial and auditory N-backing and can be used offline, all of the following sites are free and worth trying out (listed in my personal order of preference):

cognitivefun.net
cambridgebrainsciences.com
neuronation.com
cognifit.com
brainturk.com
  • like x 1

#12 treatrayner

• 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Godof Smallthings. These are much more entertaining than dual n back.

My 10 - 10 and 10 - 20 position page is from Skiltopo.com

Don't shave your head just yet LOL .

Try a saline solution and cotton pad attached to electrode that will work even with hair. You can also get a 10 - 20 cap for about $35 dollars and use the gel to connect / merge with the tDCS

Resistance is futile .... and a bit to warm for me.

#13 amark

• 47 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

I use a 10 - 20 placement of Fp1 anode & T8 cathode. Basically (+) directly over left eye and ( - ) just in front of right ear for pain managment and depression casued by injury in a plane crash Aug 2001

The tDCS unit is from a kit I put together.

If you want to track your progress I found this brain game online for free. Be careful its addicting !

http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

I also use TDCS .One of the ways that I use it is to stimulate my motor cortex. This has proven to be very effective on pain. I put the cathode on my left shoulder. Just a suggestion. I am glad you are finding it useful. Best of luck..

#14 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Stimulation of the DLPFC increases working memory as well as enhances mood.
Stimulation of the Right Anterior Temporal Lobe (as well as de-stimulation of the Left Anterior Temporal Lobe) enhances object recognition, and unlocks Snyder’s fabled “savant skills”.
Stimulation of Wernicke’s area improves language acquisition.
Stimulation of the Left Parietal Lobe improves math skills.
Stimulation of the Primary Motor Cortex increases motor learning and function.

Posted Image
I found that on someones blog. Can anyone vouch for this guys placements and effects?

I just got my tdcs today.

#15 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Ive been using the DLPFC setup for almost a week now and Ive noticed a great response with it regarding my mood.
The first few nights I wasn't able to sleep much I had so much energy and motivation.
I also found this position a benefit to my gaming experience. (focus uses almost the same setup)

#16 Bobbyd

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Can tDCS be used to enhance beliefs in conjunction with listening to hypnosis or affirmations?
And where would be the placements?

Thanks
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#17 ILIkeBeer

• 135 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

Anyone been using this awhile and can point out long term effects?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tdcs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users