• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

TDCS and improving programming skills :). Candidate zones?

tdcs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 soulfiremage

• 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Right, I've a question for the wise among us.

I'm a late bloomer in coding, started 2 years ago, manically reading and coding but on and off; so for weeks I'd leave it. However, despite this I've managed to understand a fair bit - oop, functional, design patterns to a degree and general refactoring.

However, motivation to continue - without a work context - is very variable and quite lax right now. Other times it can be 12 hours non stop (haven't had this for a while).

Since I've a tdcs machine, what I'm curious about is the areas of the brain most likely to influence coding ability - that would benefit from a boost.

My candidate zones, anodal wise, are left DLPFC, left and right temporal, left and right parietal. This is quite generalised-my smallest electrode is 16cm2 and I realise I could do with a HD-tdcs approach to really nail this.

I was interested in whether other folks on here were coders and had some other opinions?

#2 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Check out the blue area here:

This is sort of the "magic mystery region" that switches on after some time when I really need to concentrate (but its not very active before that). I guess, how your stuff connects to produce programming ability varies a lot from person to person. By concentrate, I mean mostly programming, because that's what I mostly need to concentrate for.

Please note that I am quite convinced that I can neurologically sense roughly if stuff is happening and where it is happening /inside/ my brain. I don't have any PET scanner or appropriate medical equipment of any sorts. You won't find or hear anything about such a phenomenon anywhere and you might consider me as well delusional in that regard (though, I can say with great confidence that I am nowhere near any mental illness, mindset or condition that causes delusions).

Edited by Aolministrator, 17 May 2013 - 07:40 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 soulfiremage

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

Well I've narrowed it down to left AND right parietal, left pfc, left and right anterior temporal regions. In the order given, however I need a bunch of hd electrodes to do it :)

Your pic supports that!

#4 BLimitless

• 218 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Please note that I am quite convinced that I can neurologically sense roughly if stuff is happening and where it is happening /inside/ my brain. I don't have any PET scanner or appropriate medical equipment of any sorts. You won't find or hear anything about such a phenomenon anywhere and you might consider me as well delusional in that regard (though, I can say with great confidence that I am nowhere near any mental illness, mindset or condition that causes delusions).

I can definitely correlate. Actually I have been practicing meditation for the last 5 years. Recently I have developed the ability to switch off individual parts of the brain. If you pay attention enough you *are* occupying and aware of the space wherein your neurons fire. Just as you can feel your heart beat, nay, you ARE pumping your heart, thus can you feel your brain in action. The problem it presents is not "being aware of it", you are certainly aware of it in the same way the space a rock occupies is "aware" of the rock it contains.

In fact the issue with discerning aspects of the brain seems to arise from being able to shut down noise and cross-talk, to still it so you can observe a single aspect of it in action. Like how when you run an experiment or study, you need to fix all the other variables to truly get an accurate picture of what variable you wish to observe, so must the brain be silenced as to isolate the object of interest. Right now I have the vaguest of senses as to what's going on up in ye olde skull but there have been many intense meditative states in combination with things such as chanting, or balls-to-the-walls intensity sprints where I have no doubt whatsoever that I can feel my neurons switching on and off, and can pinpoint roughly where they are yet feel with maximal precision exactly where they are in my own awareness! And the demanding nature of the activities presents an intrinsic control on the variables so to speak. If I am playing guitar or listening to music, I must switch off all non-essential circuitry to truly HEAR what is going on, not merely let the sound into my body. And there is a distinct difference in operation, which I have no doubt would show up on a suitable EEG or imager. Likewise in a full speed sprint, no part of the body nor mind can talk except when spoken to. This is pure survival. If I have a single misfire, I will drop and get flattened at speed (the joys of cycling faster than 50mph) so it is imperative that the body is TRULY silent. I can compare these experiences to those well studied pharmacologically induced experiences under for example psilocybin or dissociatives, all of which I have experience with. Psilocybin switches off aspects of the brain, the parts that filter sensory input. The very aspects I have been cultivating the switch-it-off-ness in meditation for years; they are one and the same.

And in these states there is a very very distinct locus of control. What I mean is that there is an awareness of the subtleties, of the subtle processes through the bodymind. I can shut these aspects off, when in normal consciousness they would run rampant. I can turn them on at will. From the vantage point of silence, even the faintest glimmer is expressed as a blinding flash against the backdrop of the dark Void. And not only that but there are countless many reproducible and directly applicable/practical healing benefits. I know how to switch off hiccups, via careful control of some nerve in the throat. I know how to switch off a stress headache. This feels like playing Tetris in my head, I move stress/neuromuscular contractions/heat around until it sits elegantly, and the heat dissolves and so does the headache. I can switch off my perception of time at will, like going to sleep. If I do this, one hour is the same thing as 10 hours. When I was severely depressed and meditating, I would go several months, pretty much without experiencing much in the way of "Time". This was a beautiful way to numb things off and keep me feeling somewhat safe. There are many other such abilities developed. One many might be interested in, is total sexual control. A tough cookie. But you can make Junior arise and reseat himself you please, via volitional control. This to me is a clear demonstration of the fact that the human brain is entirely aware of its own self and positioning and configuration in 4D spacetime. And until we recognise this, we can never give justice to our true abilities which lie latent, which Yogis of old have long mastered, though even they could not be called more than novices.

Apologies for straying somewhat off topic... this really tickled my fancy and it's so rare to ever hear people talk about it!

#5 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

@BLimitless:

Sorry, but I cannot relate to your views or your experience. To me, its just a question of whether or not the human nervous system offers or could offer (in some people) facilities that enable sensing neuronal activity or other brain activity which would result in the phenomenon I experience. To me, it has nothing whatsoever to do with meditation, consciousness, self-control, fourth dimension, etc. My conclusion to it is overall: "it is likely, but entirely unresearched and unheard of". In my subjective experiences it is not so strange, since I otherwise seem to have a very good and elaborate sensory connection to my body, which includes detailed information given by my organs, esp. digestive system, but also sort of crude status reports from liver, kidney, gallbladder, etc. That would be somewhat a whole new topic though.
However, its important to remember that we are all different. Not all people are born with e.g. a (sufficiently developed) vomeronasal organ, hence not all people can smell pheromones. Just like that, not all people might have the neurological facilities to query organ information. I don't think its something you can really achieve or strive for, but rather something you are plainly born with. Its like seeing visual noise, some day you just become aware of it because it is just there.

I do not believe in any real benefits by increasing/decreasing activity by external means and exclusively spatial criteria, and not doing it indirectly though internal mechanisms which result in the usage of functional neurological routes, in specific regions of the brain (except if those regions are damaged or were otherwise impaired, which could possibly jump-start them again).

So, if you want to know more details about what I sense, basically I experience two different sensations:
1. Dilation/Contraction of blood vessels and cerebrospinal fluid channels inside the brain - that feels almost exactly like it feels when blood vessels dilate in your extremities because it gets warmer (I don't know if you feel those blood vessels either though, I don't mean the heat itself)
2. Sort of tactile, weak tickle/prickle/"pins and needles" below/on the scalp - not exactly like, but very similar in type to how nerves feel when your legs/arms fall asleep. There is some meaning to how the individual "prickes" occur, it is not random, but whatever it means exactly I can not decypher. It is probably like the harddrive noise will never tell you whats on the drive.

I don't really know much about cerebrospinal fluid channels, but this indicator is pretty inaccurate. If I switch from entirely mentally inactive to intensive concentration it is most noticeable, but otherwise its not very distinguishable. I sense it in forehead mostly, sometimes at the back.
Sensation #2 is sort of two dimensional, since it basically overlaps sensory-wise with the mappings of the tactile nerves for the scalp skin. But sometimes it is also more inside of the brain, especially if the sensation is more intense it is easier to tell. Its accurate maybe from 3cm*cm to 0.75cm*cm (most intense).

Overall, I guess both things only tell me that there is prominently less or more activity, than usual. But I have several spots where I can almost always sense it. Maybe though, it tells me that there is "something active in a way its not supposed to be" or that stuff is overtuned, I don't know. Just a thought I had when it started 10 years ago, which was after I had a seizure induced by a combination of risperidone and GHB withdrawal (I was given the wrong medication, because of incompetence of the clinic's doctors). If I think about it, maybe its a freak-accident. Something got wired differently, pathways just go into the "wrong" place. Who knows?

Edited by Aolministrator, 18 May 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#6 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Well I've narrowed it down to left AND right parietal, left pfc, left and right anterior temporal regions. In the order given, however I need a bunch of hd electrodes to do it :)

Your pic supports that!

In my video, it is left/right occipital, temporal and parietal lobe plus corpus callosum though (I don't know if you can see it clearly). Basically its where all of them join.

#7 soulfiremage

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Not sure how I can stimulate the corpus colloseum :)

Why the occipital? The parietal I know is linked to math, dlpfc is association, short term memory and other higher order stuff, temporal recognition and comprehension- it's also neighbours on the left with broca etc so semantic understanding.

I see programming as the bastard off spring of a mass orgy between maths, logic, linguistics/semantics and even rhetoric - at least the parts where logic is important, hence it causes "religious" wars....

#8 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I don't get that part about religious wars.

Programming is very formal, but I think the higher the effort the more it has to involve all cognitive capacity the brain can offer. The visual cortex is just extremely powerful computational-wise. If you look at some people with autism for example where it is overdeveloped (or TED video with Temple Grandin), you will get the idea how it can give meaning to much more than just spatial awareness.

Though I cannot exactly see the stuff I program mind-internally, I can sort oft see how certain things are done with visual maps while programming. I believe though, that the common idea of the visual cortex functions is not exactly right, that is, that it truly operates on a way more abstract level than plainly spatial.

#9 amark

• 47 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

What you need to think about is whether suppressing part of your brain might work. The idea would be to let the other area less distraction.

Edited by amark, 09 June 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#10 Dashwolf

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

soulfiremage,

Have you tested or found any electrode placements that work or don't work well? I just ordered the biocurrent kit (just came back in stock today!) specifically for this purpose.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#11 soulfiremage

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Difficult to be completely objective about this. I know that right orbitofrontal anodal isn't great for mood. As for positive effects - mood wise I've had some (left pfc anode/right temple - ) but cognitive, I cannot be sure.

I'm hoping to do a better job with the foc.us kit however.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tdcs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users