Photo
- - - - -

My stack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

My concerns are short-term and long-term memory, well-being, concentration on potentially boring things that I need to concentrate on anyway, etc. I generally prefer substances that show continued efficacy with chronic use. I might be interested in drugs that need to be cycled, for such things as finals week, etc.

Here is what I take presently, daily:

6 to 9 AOR Ortho-Core multivitamins
1.4g of EPA & 1.2g of DHA omega 3 fatty acid
10-20mg of dextroamphetamine, no more than 10mg at a time spaced out by no fewer than 4 hours
1 drop of deprenyl liquid daily, for almost two months now. So far, no hypertensive episodes.
81mg baby aspirin
3 x 100mg magnesium citrate pills
2 x 450mg 4.5% extract Ashwagandha pills, in the PM
occasionally two or three nights per week, 1 ZMA tablet (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate or something like that) in the PM.

Admittedly much of the above may be particular for reasons that aren't sound. For instance I have gotten the feeling from what I have read that Ashwagandha is sedative, which is why I take it in the PM. I have no evidence to support that claim however. I take Ashwagandha for its adaptogenic effect, not for any potential sedative effect. I assume it also sprouts dendrites from what I read, and I hope that's a good thing. ;) Additionally, I have no idea why I take the ZMA. Apparently it's sedative too, so I take that in the PM as well. I generally sleep very well, with or without these machinations.

I've heard of many substances that can be of help, that I would not mind adding. I want to be sure they are worth taking in the long-haul however, and that phsyiological tolerance does not develop. At this point in time I have but am not taking K-R-ALA, Piracetam, Creatine Monohydrate (5 year old huge bulk bottle, egad, still good you think?), ALCAR, Alpha-CDP, Choline Citrate, Rhodiola Rosea, and a few other substances I've discovered probably have no long-term merit (Chocamine, etc.). I honestly never intend to use them. As for the other substances I have, I'm mainly not taking them because I find capping to be so inconvenient and/or time-consuming in my very busy life. That, and that I only have 00 capsules, and sometimes that's too much or too little of a given substance. I should order some 000 pills, these are smaller correct? Additionally, what are your thoughts on combining substances in the same capsules, such as creatine + ALCAR, or creatine + something else, or whatever + whatever. Are there any dangerous and/or potentially defeating combinations? For instance I know pure R-ALA at least is prone to polymerization.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the long-term physiological efficacy of other nootropics such as Huperzine A, Hydergine (or however you spell it), etc. Do these fit the bill for things my body will not down-regulate and render long-term ineffective? What else do you folks suggest adding or modifying in my stack? I'm aware of the well-founded belief that dextroamphetamine is neurotoxic. I hope to take it only while I'm in school. Do you suggest taking it all of the time or only to cover classes/studying?

What are your thoughts on metformin hydrochloride at 1.6g/day for someone in their mid 20's with about 11% bodyfat who wants to get down to 6-7%? Any other promoting substances I should consider? Needless to say, will-power alone is not helping me out here.

Thank you folks for your kind and generous assistance!

Sincerely,

-John

#2 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

I've been taking 3x1gr piracetam, 2x1gr ALCAR, 2x300mg ala, 300mg alpha gpc for more then a month now. I can really recommend it. I usually don't feel anything from ginseng, cq10, chocamine, tyrosine and bunch of other stuff. But the above stack really made a noticable difference in my life. It's not like 24/7 mdma effect (which would be awesome) but still my life is better in many way, creativity, mental, happines, energy, endurance...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hi John,

1. "I generally prefer substances that show continued efficacy with chronic use"

You must be the one who asked that previous question.

Where does your implicit assumption that the body tolerates to everything and that everything stops working after a period of time come from? I would say that tolerance is the exception rather then the rule to supps.

Oh wait.....you're taking dextroamphetamine...is that why?

2 "I have gotten the feeling from what I have read that Ashwagandha is sedative"

You are correct. I think someone else on here pointed it out and I moved it to before bed. I do find it mildly sedative, but I usually sleep very well now.

3. "What are your thoughts on metformin hydrochloride at 1.6g/day for someone in their mid 20's with about 11% bodyfat who wants to get down to 6-7%? "

Perhaps not the first thing you should try.

you should know about Lyle McDonald (creator of the ketogenic diet). his UD2 while painful I gather may be of use.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

He is very smart, does not get sucked into the trend of the month....but well...if you ask silly questions on his forum...it may not be pretty.

Edit: OK I see you've discovered Avant. Just listen to Loki then.

more later if someone doesn't beat me to it..

#4 johnmk

• Topic Starter
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

I recall seeing somewhere that someone felt Huperzine A was not as effective anymore for them presently as it was when they began it. I might be recalling incorrectly but I don't think so.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

I had thought receptor downregulation was a problem with huperzine but lifemirage said recently (I believe it was in the thread on his regimen, so you can look there) that while he does tend to...I forget his words...but perhaps take occasional breaks from these two, that galantamine and huperzine (the two I had asked about) at the doses he is taking are not a problem in terms of receptor downregulation.

YMMV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users