• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What In Beef Helps Verbal Fluency and Eliminates My Stutter?

beef stutter verbal fluency

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jly1986

• 166 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have a very slight stutter, which is hardly noticeable. Only a couple words trip me up, and I've learned to compensate with some effective speech techniques.

I've noticed, though, that whenever I eat beef, the next day or two afterward, my minor speech impediment is completely gone, and my verbal fluency is in general significantly better (smoother flow of words, more eloquent, witty expressions come much easier and faster). When I stop eating beef, my problem returns after a day or so, as well as noticeably poorer verbal fluency. No other meat or food item has had the same effect, only beef.

I've tried to isolate the causative factor(s), such as supplementing with iron, carnitine, protein, amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, etc., as well as other noots, such as the racetams, Noopept, centro, etc, but I've never been able to reproduce with supplements the benefit I gain for my speech issue from simply eating beef itself. I've always wondered what this "active ingredient" might be, because I would like to minimize my red meat intake due to its other health damaging effects.

Would anyone know what might be the active ingredient(s), or had similar experiences?

Edited by jly1986, 02 July 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#2 overfocused

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Interesting question, I have often experienced better mental clarity from eating beef as opposed to other meets, but never really figured out why. However Wikipedia does not list T-bone steak a nootropic :-D so might just be placebo

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lammas2

• 137 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Maybe it's testosterone? Beef contains cholesterol, zinc etc, a lot of factors that are neccessary for testosterone synthesis.

#4 hani

• 134 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Creatine?

#5 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I second that. Have you tried creatine supplementation? Its pro-cognitive effects are well established now and it'd the one thing naturally found in beef that you apparently havent tried to supplement separately with... Also have you ever tried sublingual methylcobalamin (vit b12)? BCAA supplements?
  • like x 1

#6 jly1986

• Topic Starter
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think it's placebo, because I actually have an aversion to eating beef due to its bad health rap, and yet I can't deny the clear "nootropic" effect it seems to have on me.

I have tried zinc, BCAAs, and B12, and the only thing I noticed with B12 is it would make my dreams very vividly colorful.

Haven't tried creatine or testosterone, though. I will plan on testing creatine first, since it's more obtainable than testosterone.

Thanks again!

#7 NeuroNootropic

• 239 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

It's most likely the Iron content:

Levels of serum ferritin and iron were examined in relation to cognitive performance and quantitative EEG measures in 69 normal university students. Higher levels of serum ferritin were associated with greater activation of the left hemisphere relative to the right, indicated by less power in the EEG spectra from left hemisphere electrodes. Iron status was significantly related to cognitive performance on two of the cognitive tasks, and these relationships were consistent with the EEG asymmetries: higher ferritin predicted greater verbal fluency but poorer nonverbal auditory task performance. These results suggest that body iron stores are relevant to specific neurophysiological processes supporting attention.

→ source (external link)

#8 jly1986

• Topic Starter
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

I did try iron supplements, both inorganic salts, as well as organic chelates. I could literally feel my blood volume increase (for example, my hands and feet got puffier due to being gorged with blood), but I didn't notice the effect of benefitting my verbal fluency (as with eating beef).

If it is due to iron, maybe there's a special form of it in beef flesh that is more bioactive when consumed as food, as compared to supplemental iron? (Wild conjecture.)

#9 overfocused

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Good point, I should try out Iron, as beef really help me with my cognition. I have ADHD and think I read somewhere that Iron plays a role in that. However I have always been a little afraid to supplement with iron as men have no obvious way to get rid of excess Iron. As for the testosterone hypothesis should this not be testable with LDN ?

#10 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

How the hell has nobody suggested the obvious? DLPA? Beef is saturated in its precusors. We all like some noradrenaline and dopamine.

#11 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I always assumed it was steroidal enhancement from the nutrients, which aid in the synthesis of GABAa potentiating hormones and neurosteroids.

A really nice high-quality grass-fed entrecote always makes me feel like a confident and content alpha-male :)
  • dislike x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 jly1986

• Topic Starter
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yes, I definitely feel a boost in libido after eating beef, too. Definitely has an effect on hormonal status.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beef, stutter, verbal fluency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users