- - - - -

A list of things to be done to fix things in SENS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

Is there a list anywhere of all the things needing to be done to stop/fix/deal with the 7 deadly things in SENS? What I mean is, like, x amount of dollars here, y amount of man hours there, z amount of side effect research there etc.. ?

#2 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:05 PM

Its not possible to detail things to the man hour with research.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:26 PM

Is there a stratagy that the science community uses to make the best guess they can when dealing with un knowns like amount of man hours needed to cure a specific thing?

For example, I would think it would involve things like looking at how many researchers are working on different aspects of gerontology,

then looking at how many research hours it took to fix or remedy problems as similar as possible to those in SENS,

then estimating how many more man hours and researchers and facilities you would need from there.

Once a general amount is figured then the rest can be plotted, like amounts of labs to be built, recruiting to go on and etc.. What do you think about this? Im not here to assert anything really, Im here to bounce my thoughts around in here to help them reach the best conclusions.

#4 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:41 PM

de Grey has made estimates on his site http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens

I suggest reading through as much of it as you can.

• Lurker

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:09 AM

In order to make such a time estimate one would have to have more than a reasonably good idea of what the intervention objective is - which at present is still subject to debate due to the chasm (which appears to be narrowing) that exists between SENS and the present biogerontology community consensus of how aging can be modulated. With a more certain objective and a map of how to go from research design to FDA/CE approval it is possible to derive time estimates as a function of resources. An interesting case study is the development of the anti-cancer drug Gleevec and how rapidly (unusually so) it was able to go from research to clinical trials to approval.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users