• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

anyone here use inositol for OCD issues?

inositol

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm wondering about using phytic acid with inositol. I read it fights certain cancer. I don't have cancer. There is a small skin that look a bit weird on my body. The doctor said it is "benign". I was asked if I wanted it shaved off. I said no. I can live with it. Since I am already taking 12 g of inositol daily, I could experiment with the combo of adding phytic acid to see what becomes of this small patch of weird looking skin about the size of a quarter in width but as thin as a toothpick. Looks like mole-ish but no. I googled phytic acid but could not find anyone selling it as a supplement. It wouldn't be a big seller is why no one sells them like that.

#32 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Update: The Inositol I use is Inositol Hexaphosphate, which is another name for phytic acid. So all this time I'd been looking for phytic acid to take along with my Inositol, I had been taking phytic acid all along? This form of Inositol is said to chelate metals out of the body except magnesium. It is said to deplete zinc out of the body so is it wise to supplement with zinc? At what dose?

http://www.thalassem...pic=2641.0;wap2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#33 jakord

• 57 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

I take Inositol for OCD for 10 days now. Increased the dosage to 18g/day. I'm not sure if I'm feeling it yet. Studies say it needs at least 4 weeks to how positive results, so I'll wait.

#34 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

make sure it's myo-inositol. LOL. I was taking 12g daily of the inositol hexaphosphate, which wasn't what I was really looking for.

#35 Peak Noots

• 138 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

myo-inositol is the most common type and 99% of supplements are that type. Inositol is an effective treatment for OCD. http://elitenootropi...panic-disorder/

#36 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

I read recently about pregnenolone blocking marijuana's effect of getting you high as it blocks something from the brain. This is helpful for those wanting the "medicinal" purpose of marijuana but not the "recreational" purpose. The article is out there somewhere. I was just curious what is inositol's role in the brain, if it blocks something or "releases" something. I haven't looked into this yet and why it is highly effective for depression and OCD at higher dosages. Also this could allow me to experiment on what I can stack with inositol. I know almost anything can be stacked with it as I have done before. Melatonin is said to go well with inositol but not sure about that since I don't plan on going to a sleep-fest. LOL.

I'm currently on ALCAR and Noopept but closely considering if I should add inositol in the mix.

Edited by eon, 06 January 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#37 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

what is the connection between the use of melatonin and inositol? What makes it to have synergy? Melatonin is produced in the pineal gland, what is Inositol's role with all this?

I never liked melatonin because I probably was using it incorrectly. I was using 3mg I think at sunrise, when I think it is to be used at sunset! I think I read it somewhere that to use melatonin it must be around 4-6 p.m. as this is the time melatonin is produced by the pineal gland?

I sleep around 7 am and wake up at around 3 p.m. since I work nights and sleep days. I can't say my problem with sleep is bad, it's just sometimes I wish I could just get to sleep when I have to, but can't. I might reuse melatonin again if there is synergy with using it with inositol.

#38 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

I'm getting ready to start my inositol cycle again this time at 18g daily, split 3x daily (so 6g x 3). I would take one dose in the morning, another in the middle of the day, another when I come home from work. In case I miss a dose (more likely the middle of the day dose since I am at work), how can I make up for this missed dose? Do I take it 2 hours apart from my next dose? I know 6 g is tolerable without much side effects. So once I take 6 g, I could take another 6 g, 2 hours later? I'm already having slight stomach upsets and diarrhea at 4 g only. Not sure if it's because I'm just starting out with inositol or if it's a combo of other supplements or food I ingested.

#39 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Would taking 4.5 g of inositol 4x daily be a good idea? My first two doses would either be split 30 minutes apart. Good idea? Let's say I take 4.5 g at 8 a.m. my next 4.5 g would be at 8:30 a.m. so that's 9 g total within 1 hour. I would do the same at night. So 18 g daily total. I hope 9 g total within 1 hour is OK and would not give gas or diarrhea. I know using a 6 g dose gave me gas and diarrhea. I wanted to split 18 g 3x daily (6 g 3 times a day) but might go with the 4.5 g 4x daily instead.

Edited by eon, 08 February 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#40 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

I'm almost done with my 1kg of powder inositol. I'm thinking of cycling off this. Would the OCD come back then? It hasn't vanished like magic but it was obviously lessened. I think 1kg which is 1000g was good for about 55 days when using 18g daily, so that's close to about an 8 week cycle.

Edited by eon, 12 March 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#41 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I have OCD and I am planning to try inositol. I will post the results if I got any.

#42 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

opioids such as tramadol and hydrocodone may improve OCD symptoms according to wikipedia research. Not sure how this is. Could other opioid like percocet work similarly? percocet would be stronger than either of those two. what could it do to OCD?

other new info. I found regarding OCD is that it has something to to with glutamate? The research is inconclusive though. So if it does have something to do with glutamate, would glutamate modulator drugs/nootropics work then such as idra-21 which is praised by people who have used it as being potent, not necessarily for OCD? Aniracetam and tianeptine is said to be an AMPA-modulator as well. I've tried piracetam so I'm curious how aniracetam would be different other than strength? Is it different chemically structure? Would taking glutamine supplement work for OCD? While inositol is working for me, I'm always looking for other alternatives.

Edited by eon, 22 March 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#43 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

i'm close to trying out 18 g one dose of inositol to see the effects, maybe split 18 g two times within 1 hour. Is this safe other than the stomach issues? I will be home so I won't be in public setting having upset stomachs. My current dose usually go 9 g in the am and 9 g in the pm so I can tolerate the 9 g dosage that most have claimed any dose over 6 g can cause gas and diarrhea. I never could find the study where it mentioned that 18 g daily of inositol for OCD was divided in several dosages throughout the day so I am assuming 18 g one dose was what was used in the clinical study regarding inositol use at 18 g per day for OCD. I'm assuming it would be much more effective with one dose considering the half life (which I don't know much about).

#44 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

Well, it depends. I bought my inositol on Ebay and I take around 5-15 gram without ever noticing the increased flatulation and diarrhea that others are talking about.

#45 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

is the 5-15 g one dose or spread out throughout the day? You know 18 g is said to be what works for OCD, right? Make sure it's myo-inositol. I had bought an inositol before without knowing at first that it was inositol hexaphosphate. It just said inositol on the bag. Do you drink milk or eat anything with dairy? I used to which was perhaps the reason for the upset stomach issues when on inositol. Maybe it's best taking inositol on an empty stomach so the food we eat does not interfere with the inositol to cause any upset stomachs.

Edited by eon, 31 March 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#46 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

I just took a 12 g dose one shot. No stomach upset as I did not eat at the same time. It has been about 2 hours since I last ate when I took the dose. I will see if I can tolerate 18 g one shot tomorrow. I'm starting to think this is only effective when taken at higher dosage all at once and not split.

Edited by eon, 31 March 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#47 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

It's meant to taste sweet, right? A bit like sugar? Does it dissolve easily? You could maybe put the 18 grams in some juice, and sip it intermittently throughout the day.

#48 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

is the 5-15 g one dose or spread out throughout the day? You know 18 g is said to be what works for OCD, right? Make sure it's myo-inositol. I had bought an inositol before without knowing at first that it was inositol hexaphosphate. It just said inositol on the bag. Do you drink milk or eat anything with dairy? I used to which was perhaps the reason for the upset stomach issues when on inositol. Maybe it's best taking inositol on an empty stomach so the food we eat does not interfere with the inositol to cause any upset stomachs.

I drink it at once with a multivitamin tablet before breakfast. Too bad you did not have the right inositol right away. What did you do with the inositol hexaphosphate? On my bag it also just says inositol but in the description it said myo inositol

#49 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

It's meant to taste sweet, right? A bit like sugar? Does it dissolve easily? You could maybe put the 18 grams in some juice, and sip it intermittently throughout the day.

Not as sweet as table sugar, more like glucose sweetness. I think it would make the juice sweeter. I take mines with just water and it is water soluble.

I drink it at once with a multivitamin tablet before breakfast. Too bad you did not have the right inositol right away. What did you do with the inositol hexaphosphate? On my bag it also just says inositol but in the description it said myo inositol

When I first bought inositol I had no clue which version I needed to get nor did I have a clue there was different versions of it. The website had it labeled as inositol hexaphosphate, the bag that arrived to me only labeled it as inositol. The retailer did not have myo inositol then so I was assuming it was the only inositol (hexaphosphate) available and I figured it was what I was looking for. They started selling myo inositol ever since.

I kept the inositol hexaphosphate. I still have it. It is the IP6 or phytic acid form of inositol. It is said to fight certain forms of cancer as well as other health issues:

http://www.cancer.or...l-hexaphosphate

My steroid use seem to have thinned out my hair so with IP6 use, my hair is back to the same thickness as it was before steroid use. Another observation of mine was that my chest area muscle (or fat) seem to have gotten tighter or more toned as if the IP6 has sucked out the fat around the chest area due to perhaps high testosterone levels, whether it was gynecomastia or estrogen issues. I like IP6. Myo-inositol seem to be great for OCD and depression or anxiety. I'd be using IP6 again.

Edited by eon, 31 March 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#50 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

I just took 18 g of inositol, one dose. No issues at all. I took it on an empty stomach with two glasses of water and drank hot green tea with it as well with no sweetener. Maybe perhaps the green tea eliminated the "gas" people are talking about when dosing with high dose inositol. No diarrhea as well.

Edited by eon, 01 April 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#51 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

I have a theory that inositol may be resulting in  lowered acetylcholine production.  I found out that Choline can be used to:

1. create acetylcholine
  2. create phospholipids
  3. act as a methyl donor (there might be a 4th pathway)

I suspect that taking high amounts of Inositol would move an equal amount of Choline towards phospholipid production (since inositol and choline are both phospholipid precursors) and away from acetylcholine production resulting in brain fog and a decrease in appetite (some people take choline and experience a huge increase in hunger).  I myself have been experiencing brain fog and decreased verbal fluidity when taking Inositol without a choline source. It has also had a slight antidepressant effect which is nice and is congruent with my theory. Since compounds with anti-cholinergic properties are known to cause euphoria and too much choline usually results in depression, it makes sense then that Inositol can help your mood. 

This is a link to my thread posing the same question:

http://www.longecity...ne/#entry669802

does this hold up?!?!

if anyone is experiencing side effects from Inositol alone try adding a choline source and let me know how it goes!!!

Edited by Oner, 19 June 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#52 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

Not sure I noticed any brain fog when on inositol (either myo of hexaphosphate), maybe it was because I was also using active B vitamins? Not sure if my use of DMAE helped with being a choline source (this is a choline source right?). 

I think I already brought it up about using the same amount of inositol with the same amount of choline source, but choline isn't supposed to be used in high doses. I would say just take some choline source just in case.

Edited by eon, 20 June 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#53 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

Not sure I noticed any brain fog when on inositol (either myo of hexaphosphate), maybe it was because I was also using active B vitamins? Not sure if my use of DMAE helped with being a choline source (this is a choline source right?). 

I think I already brought it up about using the same amount of inositol with the same amount of choline source, but choline isn't supposed to be used in high doses. I would say just take some choline source just in case.

okay so I've been taking a bit of timed released choline bitartrate like 600 mg 1x a day and 250 mg 2x a day of CDP-Choline and I think my brain fog has improved a bit. It is hard to say because I haven't been in any academically challenging situations at the moment, so I'll hold off on making any more comments until I've tested it out more, BUT I am not getting ANY choline induced depression which usually I am pretty sensitive and even one dose of 250mg CDP-Choline is too much, so I guess the myo-Inositol is helping counteract that, although I am also taking Magnesium Glycinate which helps my mood.

DMAE is a weird one, research it a bit more if you can, it has some strange choline effects.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#54 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

depends what you mix DMAE with I guess. Someone mentioned to not mix it with ALCAR. Not sure why you're using 2 types of choline source at the same time: choline bitartrate and CDP.

DMAE is adviced to take lower doses which I am following at only 150mg daily. Before I was taking more. One book I read I think mentioned that maximum dose is 1000mg, which is a bit much for me. Lower dosage is said to work best. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inositol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users