Photo
- - - - -

faster processing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 solidsnake

• 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hi all--hoping to get some recommendations...

Right now im studying mandarin and Im at the point that when I converse with fluent speakers, I have to pause after each posed question to formulate my response correctly. When i do finally speak my pronounciation, grammar and vocabulary is all 100% but its that latency in the processing time that, to me, affects the flow and rhythm of good conversation. So my good people, the question is what nootropic or two specifically will help the most in aiding to reduce that lag-time and further hone my linguistic skills?

Thanks a bunch,

Jesse

#2 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

If you find one let me know... You need language drill instruction...Sack up and do drill instruction.

Ritalin solves that for most, but is not a nootropic, it is in the amphetamine class of drugs...and is addictive. One of the biggest cons is that I am not so sure you remember as well with ritalin. Also, Exercise. Some say phenibut. But, I only got that feeling from Phenibut like once. Other say piracetam because of the affects on the corpus colossum.

My main recommendation.
I think that language learning in the USA sucks. You need language drilling where you only get to speak and you must. It is quite a painful exercise. Repeat basic stuff you learned that day and conjugate and reconjugate stuff, imagining you are in that situation...the restaurant, the ticket counter, the phone booth, the hospital... After doing so much drill with Spanish I could blurt out whole phrases without even thinking like it is one word. Over time drill becomes easier. Drill comes after a particular grammar lesson and its vocabulary lesson. You just practice saying things you are already know. Good drill is very time dependent. It should happen just a few hours after a language lesson...and it should be about that lesson and it has to be very fast instruction with some breaks.

The drill instructor (DI) will say:
DI: I feel ill (in chinese)
You: I feel ill (in chinese)
DI: You (english)
YOu: You feel (in Chinese.)
DI: Do you feel ill? (In chinese)
You: I feel ill (in chinese)
DI: I went to the Clinic (in chinese)
you: (repeat)
DI: hospital (in english)
You: I went to the hospital (in chinese)

This is all happenning very fast. The instructor will switch pronouns, subjects, verbs, verb tenses, direct objects or phrase things as questions. You have to move quickly and roll with simple subtle changes... Then he will move to the next part of the book on eating in a restaurant or going to the movies or some difficult gramatical rule that takes all day to ingrain.

then exercise because there are no sides and then ritalin. I don't think anything comes close to language drill even being in China. Nothing comes close to Drill.

And I don't know much about psychometrics or vocabulary and linguistic aptitudes, but I am willing to bet that this part of your IQ will increase dramatically with practice unlike other types or memory or aptitudes. (no matter how old you are and without supplements and that is why so many foreigners look down on Americans and Brits and Mexicans, etc because of their unwillingness to learn a language.)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

give pyritinol a go

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:47 AM

I agree with wannafulfill a good dose of Pyritinol 400-800 mg can boost your processing time and if you have a fair amount of stress L-theanine 200-500 mg or so can help as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users