• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Foc.us tdcs device feedback

tdcs device

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Anyone bought their device? What are your thoughts on it?
Is it doing what it was meant for? And what benefits did you get from it?

#2 Jochen

• 157 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

actually surprised nobody has bought / used this device.
really no feedback?

does everyone use the DIY kits?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

http://tdcs-kit.com/

Ive used this kit for months now.
Reasonably priced. No problems so far. They even mailed me a new one when they upgraded it.
Foc.us overpriced.
Foc.us offers something valued at about 20$ *(maybe less)* for hundreds of dollars.

#4 middpanther88

• 185 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

Work well?
  • dislike x 1

#5 Wu Hang

• 71 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

i am using focus, and i have built several tdcs machines myself. the technology is simple but i like their implementation of touch sensor as a way to control the device.

the one reason you might want to purchase this is because you like mobility while using tdcs. a tdcs session varies from 20 minute to an hour and you might not want to waste those valuable time

#6 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

Are you using any games or activities to measure the effects?

#7 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have a friend who used fo.cus and managed to scar himself in the process. Doesn't look good.

I would not recommend.

#8 focus83

• 216 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

i am using focus, and i have built several tdcs machines myself. the technology is simple but i like their implementation of touch sensor as a way to control the device.

the one reason you might want to purchase this is because you like mobility while using tdcs. a tdcs session varies from 20 minute to an hour and you might not want to waste those valuable time

So how is your experience with the foc.us device?

It's really odd. Several users on this board mentioned that they are using a TDCS device, but hardly anyone says something about the effects, especially nothing in detail. Isn't that the most obvious thing to do?

So to read between the lines, I suppose TDCS are not worth their money?

#9 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

http://tdcs-kit.com/

Ive used this kit for months now.
Reasonably priced. No problems so far. They even mailed me a new one when they upgraded it.
Foc.us overpriced.
Foc.us offers something valued at about 20$ *(maybe less)* for hundreds of dollars.

Foc.us is superior in a few aspects, you can have sham stimulation, can change mA, tRNS, etc. It's overpriced, but tdcs-kit is not superior in any aspect other than the price.

#10 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

I have a friend who used fo.cus and managed to scar himself in the process. Doesn't look good.

I would not recommend.

Do you have any more info about exactly what happened? Treatment time, preparations, current strength, etc.

#11 renfr

• Topic Starter
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Foc.us finally started shipping again. They released the app on the itunes store, so things are moving up again.
I placed an order and it already has been shipped, I should receive my device next week.

#12 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thanks renfr. Hello Christmas present.

#13 renfr

• Topic Starter
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Finally got my foc.us device, shipping was in fact insanely fast. I paid a round 200 euros for the basic pack and was not charged the VAT.

So I opened the box, quite robust box, and started configuring the device. Sadly I only own an iPhone 4 and their app doesn't accept this model (for which reason? I don't know, my iPhone supports bluetooth...) so I had to configure manually.

So far so good, I opened up the manual and configured the device, instructions are quite clear though sometimes it's not really very clear and it took me some time to know how to change the modes.
Anyway concerning manual configuration everything is done by the tap of a touch button.
I put on the default mode (tDCS) with the minimal amperage (0.8mA) then I had to put the sponges on the copper surface with a saline solution. Still going great.
So I wrapped it around my head and launched the device, the session began... I started feeling a slight tingling on the skin where the sponges were, I didn't see any information about the duration of the session so I made it last for 10 minutes, I just shut down the device and when shutting down I saw a phosphene, that may be the only problem I'm having with the device, I wonder if it is normal or if I should have waited for the device to end the session by itself (if it ever does) but I couldn't find such information in the manual, I guess it's much easier if you can use the app...
I'm quite concerned because this phosphene trouble might be more of a problem when I start switching to higher amperages.
Also I had a small red burning but it vanished fairly quickly.

I just ended the session like 20 mins ago, I don't feel anything in particular even though I do seem to feel something, I feel like more "alert" or that my brain seems to be overfunctioning but I don't feel any positive cognitive effects.
I'll do another session in 48 hours and see what happens, for the moment I'm not disappointed yet, the device is worth what it cost me and I will try to use a computer with bluetooth in order to control the device.

Anyway that's a great christmas present as formergenius said, now let's take it to the limit by the 25th :laugh:

#14 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I just ended the session like 20 mins ago, I don't feel anything in particular even though I do seem to feel something, I feel like more "alert" or that my brain seems to be overfunctioning but I don't feel any positive cognitive effects.

In my experience of tDCS, a prefrontal montage is not something you 'feel' very strongly. tDCS increases neuroplasticity. When you apply this montage, try dual n back or some other type of working memory or concentration game or practice like meditation. Then you will see that your progress increases faster than otherwise.

#15 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

With other montages, you will likely fee more of a difference - one example is the reported (overhyped?) flow experience with a montage focusing on improving motor learning (sniper training).

Yet another montage causes release of endorphins... so you have a few options to try out.

#16 renfr

• Topic Starter
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

In my experience of tDCS, a prefrontal montage is not something you 'feel' very strongly. tDCS increases neuroplasticity. When you apply this montage, try dual n back or some other type of working memory or concentration game or practice like meditation. Then you will see that your progress increases faster than otherwise.

During the tDCS session or after the session?
I think of buying the external electrodes, I'm quite concerned to put a cathodal electrode on my prefrontal cortex as this would mean inhibition of neural networks.

By the way is it possible to apply only the anode on your skin? Will this make an effect?

#17 zeroskater6979

• 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

but the foc.us device doesn't have that kind of flexibility right?

#18 renfr

• Topic Starter
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

but the foc.us device doesn't have that kind of flexibility right?

You can plug in external electrodes if you buy the extras pack. But shipping is over 30 euros for that, it's exaggerated, I'm wondering if I could buy electrodes somewhere else and plugs this in.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#19 renfr

• Topic Starter
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

I zapped myself again with 1.2mA instead of 0.8mA.
Normally foc.us device is supposed to zap the Fp1/F3 (anodal) and Fp2/F4 (cathodal) areas but my head is quite large and stimulation seems to lie somewhere in around F7/F3 and F8/F4, I don't really know what this kind of stimulation brings. (apparently it stills belong to the DLPFC)
It gives me a kind of a wired feeling but I can hardly assess the cognitive enhancement from it, maybe it is there but it's subtle. The only thing I felt so far is the tingling of the electrodes :laugh:

By the way is there any concern with the sponges becoming blue? I think this is called electrolysis of copper but I wonder if this is damaging anything :|?

Edited by renfr, 17 December 2013 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users