• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Lanicemine, like GLYX-13, better than ketamine at reducing depressive symptomes.

nmda partial antagonist depression glyx glyx-13 nrx-1074 nmdar nmda antagonist ptsd naurex

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Lanicemine (AZD6765) is an NMDA antagonist developed by AstraZeneca,[1] which is being studied for the treatment of major depression. It was originally developed as a neuroprotective agent, but was redeveloped as an antidepressant following the observation that the anesthetic drug ketamine has potent antidepressant effects, but also has hallucinogenic side effects which make it unsuitable for use as an antidepressant in most circumstances. Lanicemine is a low-trapping NMDA receptor antagonist which has been found in human trials to have similar rapid-acting antidepressant effects to ketamine, but with little or no psychotomimetic side effects.[2]

It has a simple structure compared to GLYX-13. Anyone interested? Seems just as effective and without prominent side effects:

Posted Image

KK nvm:

A randomized trial of a low-trapping nonselective N-methyl-D-aspartate channel blocker in major depression.

Zarate CA Jr, Mathews D, Ibrahim L, Chaves JF, Marquardt C, Ukoh I, Jolkovsky L, Brutsche NE, Smith MA, Luckenbaugh DA.

Source

Experimental Therapeutics and Pathophysiology Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, and Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA. zaratec@mail.nih.gov
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The high-affinity N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonist ketamine exerts rapid antidepressant effects but has psychotomimetic properties. AZD6765 is a low-trapping NMDA channel blocker with low rates of associated psychotomimetic effects. This study investigated whether AZD6765 could produce rapid antidepressant effects in subjects with treatment-resistant major depressive disorder (MDD).
METHODS:

In this double-blind, randomized, crossover, placebo-controlled study, 22 subjects with DSM-IV treatment-resistant MDD received a single infusion of either AZD6765 (150 mg) or placebo on 2 test days 1 week apart. The primary outcome measure was the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale, which was used to rate overall depressive symptoms at baseline and 60, 80, 110, and 230 min postinfusion and on Days 1, 2, 3, and 7 postinfusion. Several secondary outcome measures were also used, including the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale.
RESULTS:

Within 80 min, Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale scores significantly improved in subjects receiving AZD6765 compared with placebo; this improvement remained significant only through 110 min (d = .40). On the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, a drug difference was found at 80 and 110 min and at Day 2 (d = .49). Overall, 32% of subjects responded to AZD6765, and 15% responded to placebo at some point during the trial. No difference was observed between the groups with regard to psychotomimetic or dissociative adverse effects.
CONCLUSIONS:

In patients with treatment-resistant MDD, a single intravenous dose of the low-trapping NMDA channel blocker AZD6765 was associated with rapid but short-lived antidepressant effects; no psychotomimetic effects were observed.

#2 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

Why not just take memantine? I'm ignorant.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

I am down

#4 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Why not just take memantine? I'm ignorant.

Memantine has other , perhaps unwanted mechanisms of action and has a half life of 50 hours

I'm also not aware that it is a robust antidepressant nor that it has been proven to be so.....

Btw, When i saw this in my science newsfeed, my hopes shot up , I must admit. It's always good to know that there may be a drug out there with equal efficiacy to an illegal recreational drug without the high, it kinda levels the playing field for us self-medicators a bit.

#5 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

GLYX-13 is sexier.

Will AZD6765 be cost effective?

I going to listen to this later

http://www.npr.org/2...ts-show-promise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Killword

• 29 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Very interested but does it need to be taken intravenously?

#7 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

GLYX-13 and Lanicemine, as far as I know, aren't orally bioavailable unfortunately. However, NRX-1074, a follow-on to GLYX-13, is and is also several thousand times more potent than GLYX-13. Unfortunately, I can't find its structure anywhere. :sad:
  • like x 3

#8 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

GLYX-13 and Lanicemine, as far as I know, aren't orally bioavailable unfortunately. However, NRX-1074, a follow-on to GLYX-13, is and is also several thousand times more potent than GLYX-13. Unfortunately, I can't find its structure anywhere. :sad:

THIS.

This is our #1 group buy after NSI-189. Everyone scour the interwebs for a structure. Look everywhere, through paywalls, everything!

Posted Image
  • like x 2

#9 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

Just the patent if you hadn't already seen it:

https://www.google.c...ved=0CFgQ6AEwBQ

#10 uralsky

• 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

Just the patent if you hadn't already seen it:

https://www.google.c...ved=0CFgQ6AEwBQ

and more recent one
http://www.google.co...542254A1?cl=en' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://www.google.com/patents/EP2542254A1?cl=en

[0071] Exemplary compounds include
http://patentimages....000020_0002.png
(compound B)

http://patentimages....000020_0003.png
(compounds AK-51 and AK-52)

Compound B is said to be 20x more potent than GLYX-13. Could be the one?

#11 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

That would seem logical. GLXY-13 is the lead compound and NRX-1074 is the second generation compound.

AK-51 Gen 3 and AK-52 Gen 4?

Edited by Metagene, 19 November 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#12 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

I looked at both patents earlier and Compound B, AK-51 and AK-52 likely aren't NRX-1074.

These compounds enhanced the magnitude of LTP to similar extents, approximately to a doubling. GLYX-13 was the only compound that could simultaneously increase LTP and reduce LTD: AK-52 did not affect LTD, even at a concentration that reduced INMDA- GLYX-13 can selectively enhance INMDA mediated by NMD A receptors containing NR2A/B subunits, and these receptors are localized to extrasynaptic loci and are more strongly activated by neuronal bursts that induce LTP. While all of the tested compounds have potent effects on LTP and INMDA, the lesser effects on LTD suggest that they have increased selectivity for NR2A/B containing NMD A receptor glycine sites than the GLYX-13.

NRX-10,051 likely isn't RX-1074 either. 1 μΜ of it "significantly reduced both single shock (1C) and burst evoked ((ID) INMDA, reminiscent of 100 μΜ GLYX-13", however it didn't alter LTD (long-term depression).

AK-51 exhibited less potency than compound B, but a wider concentration range in its stimulatory actions (Figure 3). Both 100 nM (2A) and 1 μΜ NRX- 10,051 enhanced single-shock evoked INMDA, while 1 uM NRX-10,051 doubled the magnitude of LTP (2D), while not altering LTD (2E).

Edited by typ3z3r0, 19 November 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#13 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Whoops. Accidentally removed the "N" from "NRX-1074".

#14 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Anyone in San Francisco fancy visiting this gathering?
Perhaps they'll unveil its structure there?
edit: Thanks to alex921 for informing me of this.

Edited by formergenius, 11 January 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#15 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

There's also a webcast, as alex921 informed me. It's available for replay I believe, as it was live this morning, though you'd have to check.
See this article for further info. I'm hoping they release or hint at the structure within this presentation.. I'll check it out myself tomorrow.

#16 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Hmm so the webcast didn't cover Naurex alas. Guess it's back to waiting.
  • like x 1

#17 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hmm so the webcast didn't cover Naurex alas. Guess it's back to waiting.

What if we just ask the company directly?
Probably a no-go but curious if anyone did it

#18 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

What if we just ask the company directly?
Probably a no-go but curious if anyone did it

I remember reading someone did, though I don't remember who. They never had a reply. I doubt they'd give up the structure to a random civilian without them signing a non-disclosure contract.

Edited by formergenius, 20 January 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#19 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

I also doubt this, however I did email them claiming that I'm a student doing a research project , hopefully they bite onto that

BTW does anyone have a take on GLYX-13 VS Lanicemine in terms of pharmacological mechanism of action, difference in effects, and cost?

#20 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

"little to no psychotomimetic effects" vs. "no psychotomimetic effects" for one.
Antagonism has a whole array of reason why you wouldn't want to do it, whereas agonism seems to lack these properties.
GLYX-13 lasts much longer than Lanicemine, and has nootropic effects.
  • like x 1

#21 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

So today I decided to try find the structure for NRX-1074 again, but had no luck, just as in the past. However, I did come across "CERC-301", which seems promising too.

From the announcement regarding the phase 2 trial:
CERC-301 is a novel, potent and selective antagonist of the NMDA receptor subunit 2B (NR2B). It has the potential to be a first-in-class oral medication that is complimentary to existing treatments in patients with depression who have not adequately responded to their current therapy. These therapies are often limited by modest response rates, poor remission rates, slow onset of action and problematic side effects. In an exploratory proof-of-concept study published in 2012, CERC-301 demonstrated rapid antidepressant efficacy in patients with treatment resistant depression. Cerecor is conducting a 135 patient, placebo-controlled Phase 2 study of CERC-301 in this indication with results expected during the second half of 2014.

The drug was previously known as "MK-0657" (as can be seen in this article) when it was being studied by Merck, and the structure for it is listed in at least one patent, which I've inserted below.

imgf000012_0001.png

Edited by typ3z3r0, 15 April 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#22 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

I'm glad you found this. With your chemical background, would this be a hard one to synth?

#23 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

LOL. Unfortunately, I am terrible with chemistry and have no idea. I've posted about it on reddit as well though, here, so we shall see what people reply with. I also found two other promising drugs, which, like CERC-301, are both orally active antagonists of the NMDA receptor subunit 2B. They are EVT 101 and EVT 103. You can view a rat study on 101 here and view its structure below (taken from this patent). According to this patent, it is 5-(4-fluoro-3-(difluoromethyl)phenyl)-3-((2-methyl-1 H-imidazol-1-yl)methyl)pyridazine. I can't actually find the structure for EVT 103, however.

Attached File  evt101.png   5.86KB   2 downloads

#24 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Are Lanicemine and GLYX still being developed? I read somewhere that at least one of them has been abandoned...

#25 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Are Lanicemine and GLYX still being developed? I read somewhere that at least one of them has been abandoned...

I doubt it's GLYX, so probably Lanicemine then. Though, abandoning GLYX in favour of NRX-1074 is not unimaginable.

#26 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

Is a group buy of GLYX-13 feasible?

#27 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

You're too late I'm afraid.. We already had a small one.

#28 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

You're too late I'm afraid.. We already had a small one.

And how would you sum up the results? 

#29 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

If anyone has any unwanted GLYX from the group buy, I would be happy to buy it from them...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:25 AM

Dunno, I went unilaterally deaf and remained so one day after my second experiment, so I figured despite the small chance (deafness happened right after using eardrops) of GLYX being the culprit, I sure as hell can't afford to compromise any more of my senses. So, it's sitting in my fridge, dissolved. Had I not dissolved it all I could've parted with it, but it's basically useless now. I'm just going to wait until NRX-1074 is available, and until then just try other stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmda partial antagonist, depression, glyx, glyx-13, nrx-1074, nmdar, nmda antagonist, ptsd, naurex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users