* * * * - 3 votes

Strychnine as a Nootropic

strychnine nootropic experimental dangerous

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 cybe

• 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

WARNING: Strychnine is a highly toxic compund and should be treated with caution! Poisoning results in extremely painful muscular convulsions and often leads to death. This thread is a discussion of the nootropic potential of strychnine, and should in no way be seen as an encouragement to experiment with said substance.

Introduction
Hello. I would like to discuss the nootropic potential of strychnine, as I have come across multiple sources claiming it to have stimulant and potential mind-boosting effects. The drug has a long history of use, and I was surprised to not see any threads about it on this forum. Most people only know strychnine as a poison, and I would like to open your eyes to the possible potential of this compound. When that is said, it is of course a very dangerous substance, and noone should try to use it as a substance without rigerous research and preferrably experience in working with such toxic chemicals.

Mind you that by "nootropic effect" is meant a positive effect in cognition and/or memory. Strychnine can not strictly be claimed a real nootropic, as this definition would require it to have little or no toxicity.

What is Strychnine?
Strychnine is a colorless, bitter crystalline terpene indole alkaloid which can be found in seeds from the Strychnos nux-vomica tree. Strychnine is very toxic, and poisining can happen through inhalation, swallowing or even absorbtion through mouth or eyes. Due to it's toxicity it as been used as a pesticide and murder weapon.

Method of Action
Strychnine acts as an antagonist of glycine and acetylcholine receptors. By binding to the glycine receptors, the inhibition normally caused by glycine is reduced, thus leading to nerve impulses being triggerede by lower levels of neurotransmitters.

Historical stimulant and nootropic use
  • Small doses of strychnine works as a stimulant, and was famously used by Thomas Hicks in the 1904 Summer Olympics. He used strychnine sulfate mixed with brandy to win a gold medal in the marathon.
  • Strychnine was also used as an early form of doping in cycling, and was considered one of the strongest drugs in the early Tour de France.
  • In 1992 a female volleyball player used strychnine to optimize her play at the Barcelone Olympics.
  • S. Nux Vomica seeds are used in the 50-100 mg dosage ranges in Indian Ayurvedic Medicine, where they are commonly used to supply energy.
  • Nux vomica appears in many sexual stimulant mixes found in Asia and India. It's claimed to have aphrodisiac effects. It has an effect on the sense of touch, improving tactile sensitivity.
Studies regarding potential benefits of Strychnine
  • In rats, it produces definite improvements in maze learning and visual and spatial discrimination. [Source: Memory and emotion: the making of lasting memories By James L. McGaugh, page 60]
  • Strychnos nux-vomica root extract induces apoptosis in the human multiple myeloma cell line-U266B1. [Source]
  • S. nux-vomica extracts show antihyperglycemic activity in experimental animals. [Source]
Also:
[quote]"In two experiments, the effects of strychnine on the specific memory attributes of prior discrimination training were assessed in terms of subjects' performance under various discrimination reversal conditions. Mice were trained in a discrimination task with two redundant relevant cues. Immediately after their last training trial, subjects were administered an intraperitoneal injection of either strychnine (1.0 mg/kg) or saline. When both training cues were reversed (Experiment 1), strychnine treated subjects were observed to exhibit greater performance decrements than saline-treated subjects upon initial exposure to reversal conditions, suggesting that strychnine had enhanced the memory of a relatively specific stimulus-response association. When subjects were tested under partial cue-reveraal conditions (Experiment 2) strychnine treated animals exhibited treater utilization of one of the redundant relevant stimuli than the other, while saline-treated animals exhibited no preference."[/quote][Source]

Anecdotes
These are anecdotes regarding the effects of low-dose Strychnine

[quote]"Actually strychnine is SWIM's #1 favorite stimulant. Its much better than coffee. The only reason he doesn't use it often is because of its toxicity. As little as 0.5 mg of strychnine produces a really superb nootropic effect. You see better, hear better, think clearer, remember better. The stuff is amazing. It's like acid without the psychedelic part. "[/quote] [69ron, Source]

[quote]Strychnine peaks really fast, after 20-45 minutes and then it starts to fade away. You can usually feel it for about 4 hours or so.[/quote] [69ron, Source]

[quote]There is the famous in Russia reference book for the doctors before me, two-volume Pharmaceuticals by Mashkovskiy. On the page 160 of the first volume one can read that strychnine as a nitrate salt in a therapeutic dosage stimulates the CNS and the organs of the senses, sharpens a vision, taste, hearing, tactile sensibility and increases the sensitivity of retina. Strychnine is used as invigorant, roborant and tonic when one's metabolism is poor, when one becomes tired fast.[/quote] [Gennady, Source]

[quote]"I have never had the nitrate salt of strychnine. However, I have been using the tincture for many years as a part of my every day herbal/stimulant/nootropic ration"[/quote] [Gennady, Source]

[quote]
"This stuff is awsome. It was full of euphoria. My body felt so alive. I could touch things and it would send waves of senses through my body. I was like super sensitive to touch. I could not stop smiling too.

I am so excited. Nux is awsome. Why does no one know about it. It is awsome.

When I was driving I could feel all the cars around me, every detail of everything was in my mind. It is mind expanding. When I was shopping, everything just sort of popped out of the shelves and the colors were so bright. I felt energized, lots of euphoria, and my mind felt like it was a super computer. I could take in all the items on the shelf visuallly, and be aware of all the people around me at the same time.

Nux is mind expanding. I would say it is psychedelic in a way, but not trippy. Its like the mind is supercharged and taking in data from the world around you on a much larger scale.

I am fascinated how nux can be so unheard of and yet be so awesome."
[/quote] [twister, Source]

[quote]I took the nux and within 15 minutes my pupils were saucers! I then went for a walk around campus (I live a half block away from the school I go to) and walking or motion of any sort seemed to potentiate the effects. But also, moving to sit down and taking a seat felt extremely pleasurable, Unfortunately I had some difficulty sitting still in class about two hours after I ingested them and think that I was giving off a lot of energy as the people sitting around me seemed overly figity as their movements seemed to be in some way connected to mine. Soo, I don't think I will take nux to pay attention in classes, but I can see myself using it for when I'm home and studying at night after class, or for exercise as it seems to be a great stimulant that would get me more into my activity.[/quote] [shmee, Source]

[quote]I would take it for study sessions and exams; vision did seem to get sharper and i did feel hotter and with more energy and clearer thinking[/quote] [fractalyzed, Source]

[quote]
- the effects of strychnine seem to be mainly physical:
* the body gets warmer, I didn’t made measurements, but definitely elevate my body temperature.
* when taken on afternoon or later, it seems to alter sleep time, my body is usually tolerant to coffee but nux vomica can keep me ("anxiously") awake
- on the psychological side :
* I often feel an urge to "get out and walk" after taking it
* the nootropic effect is extremely hard to measure or appreciate, I've tested many other nootropics, and strychnine is the only one that I can actually "feel" ( mainly because of its physical effects), sometime I notice that my memory is slightly better when on strychnine, but that can be 100% placebo.
* a 'little bit' of anxiety, especially noticeable with high doses
* The stimulating effect of strychnine can be described as a “not enjoyable” “slightly anxiety-provoking” stimulation[/quote] [1hedude, Source]

[quote]"I’ve got to mention that SWIM noticed this effect from his nux vomica extract! He can remember everything on the days he used the nux vomica extract more clearly than the days he didn’t use it."[/quote]
[69ron, Source]

[quote]
"There are other nootropics out there. Most of the good ones are next to impossible to get though. There are many “claimed” nootropics out there that haven’t really been proven to be nootropics. Strychnine is clearly a nootropic. Thoughts come with extreme ease while on a safe stimulant dose of it, and memory is clearly enhanced.

I’d like to know if there’s a safer substitute for strychnine that has the same beneficial effects. I’ve been researching this and have yet to run across any." [69ron, Source][/quote]

Toxicity
There is a list on Wikipedia that compiles a range of studies into the toxicity of strychnine on human beings:
http://en.wikipedia....#Human_toxicity

The LD50 for adult humans seem to be around 30mg.

Drug Interactions
[quote]"One thing, avoid drinking white grapefruit juice while using nux vomica because the active stimulant strychnine is metabolized by CYP3A4 (the enzyme inhibited by grapefruit juice), so grapefruit juice will increase the potency of nux vomica"[/quote] [Source]

Antidotes
My research shows that these items might help. They are not antidotes as such though - they merely dampen the convulsions. Please seek medical attention ASAP if you experience any negative side effects.
  • Kava Kava
  • Vitamin C
  • Benzodiazepines(?)
  • Vinpocetine
Source
The seeds from S. Nux Vomica are easy to source. Some are treated, but seeds that are sold as being viable should contain strychnine.

Strychnine seems to be longer used in western medicine.

Products containing nux vomica are available from India. The seeds in these products seem to have been treated in some way to remove the Strychnine though (Herbo-Painless did not produce any stimulant effect in me)

Strychnine is still sold as rat poison in some countries. This would be a very bad source for nootropic use though!

Extraction Method
This extraction process is only posted here because it is the least dangerous method I have found in my research. Trying to grind the seeds can lead to accidental inhalation of seed dust, which can be deadly. In no way to I encourage anyone to venture into extracting this poisonous substance, but in case somebody chooses to do so anyway, this seems to be the safest way.

[quote]
"If you’re planning to make an extract, you can simply soak the seeds in vinegar or water for 3 days in the refrigerator. You need just enough to cover them. Check on them every day to be sure they are covered with liquid. That will soften them up. You pour off the liquid but keep it (some actives go into the liquid) and evaporate it for use in for your final extract.

You take the soften seeds and slice them up into tiny pieces, and then grind them while wet using a mortar and pestle. You may need to add some lactose or calcium carbonate as a grinding aid. Lactose works really well and is recommended as a grinding aid. Use 1 gram of lactose for every 1 gram of seed. Grinding them wet is the safest way to grind them. Grinding dry seeds can be very dangerous, because it can cause nux vomica dust to go into the air. PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM OVERDOSES BY BREATHING IN NUX VOMICA DUST. So it’s always best to grind them wet. That way it’s not possible to generate a cloud of nux vomica dust.

After grinding, you can dry the ground seeds for use in capsules or extract them easily with vinegar and make a tincture out of them.

One 2 gram seed makes about 49 doses of 500 micrograms each, so one seed goes a long way."
[/quote]
[Source]

Dosage
[quote]
"The most potent nux vomica known contains 2.65% strychnine by dry weight.

The average nux vomica contains 1.23% strychnine by dry weight.

Safe adult strychnine doses are 3 mg and below. Anything above 3 mg and you risk unpleasant side effects. It has a very deep dosage curve. 2 mg is more than twice the power of 1 mg. You should consider 3 mg the limit and don't ever try taking more."
[/quote]

[Source]

[quote]"For most people, 50 mg of nux vomica seed is plenty enough.That can contain up to 1.325 mg of strychnine, but will more typically contain 0.615 mg of strychnine."[/quote] [Source]

Edited by cybe, 05 November 2013 - 05:16 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 2

#2 meatsauce

• 329 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'v tried this. It works. It has the same sensory enhancing properties as aniracetam. Your senses are sharper and music sounds better.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'v tried this. It works. It has the same sensory enhancing properties as aniracetam. Your senses are sharper and music sounds better.

How much did you take? Any other noots which might have acted synergistic?

On my last trip to India I was looking for saffron, but found that the cheapest still cost as much (mg per mg) as Himalaya's Tentex forte, which also contains 16mg Kupilu (Strychnos nuxvomica). At that time they mentioned cardiovascular disease as contraindication to Tentex on their website, and a medical advisor of Himalaya company confirmed this would be due to the potentially blood-pressure raising property of it's nux vomica content.

With a full blown PAD (peripheral arterial disease) due to a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta and absolutely no libido I gave Tentex forte a careful trial by taking a tablet every 2-3 days while monitoring blood pressure. This way got about 6 mg/d Kupilu during last year, which didn't raise BP at all, but increased libido from zero. No addition nootropic effects at that dose in my case.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#4 meatsauce

• 329 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

I forgot. I just took heated and powderized nux vomica seeds and used it subligually before swallowing it. From what I read it is supposed to potentate other substances like psychedelics.
  • dislike x 1

#5 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Good luck! It will be interesting to see how you feel from it.

I would be careful about cardiovascular and physical symptoms since it seems like it has a very broad stimulatory effect outside the brain. Also, considering its toxicity, I don't think I would mix it with anything unless using extreme care (starting at a very, very, very low dose, like fractions of an mg) considering its supposed propensity to act synergistically and relatively narrow therapeutic range.

I am really interested in the sensory effects!

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Strychnine was used by professional cyclists for doping as a performance enhancer up until about 1950, when they discovered amphetamines were a safer and more effective method. Both are thought to be responsible for some deaths of pro cyclists.
  • Good Point x 1

#7 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Strychnine was used by professional cyclists for doping as a performance enhancer up until about 1950, when they discovered amphetamines were a safer and more effective method. Both are thought to be responsible for some deaths of pro cyclists.

I knew that they shifted from strychnine to amphetamines, but I haven't been able to find a source explaining why. It being "safer and more effective" is a good bet - but in what way "safer"? Strychnine definitely has a lower therapeutic index than amphetamines, so careful dosing is extremely important. I have not been able to find any data regarding toxicity at low doses though - unlike amphetamines which we know are neurotoxic.

Amphetamines being "more effective" than strychnine could be only in the case of cardio-exercise such as extreme cycling, but I have don't know specifically how the stimulation is different between amphetamines and strychnine.

Could you provide a source for "they discovered amphetamines were a safer and more effective method" maxwatt? It would be really interesting to look in to.

I just received my Kava Kava root powder; I ordered a type with a high DHM content, as this seems to be the strongest anticonvulsive and muscle relaxant. I will be making an extract from Nux Vomica seeds soon, and report my findings.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#8 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

I knew that they shifted from strychnine to amphetamines, but I haven't been able to find a source explaining why. It being "safer and more effective" is a good bet - but in what way "safer"? Strychnine definitely has a lower therapeutic index than amphetamines, so careful dosing is extremely important. I have not been able to find any data regarding toxicity at low doses though - unlike amphetamines which we know are neurotoxic.

Amphetamines being "more effective" than strychnine could be only in the case of cardio-exercise such as extreme cycling, but I have don't know specifically how the stimulation is different between amphetamines and strychnine.

Could you provide a source for "they discovered amphetamines were a safer and more effective method" maxwatt? It would be really interesting to look in to.

I just received my Kava Kava root powder; I ordered a type with a high DHM content, as this seems to be the strongest anticonvulsive and muscle relaxant. I will be making an extract from Nux Vomica seeds soon, and report my findings.

umm...it should be pretty obvious that amphetamines, unlike strychnine, isn't going to kill you if you misjudge the dose or keep increasing the dose to push the limit like athletes like to do. Even a very small overdose of strychnine will end competition with debilitating cramps if it doesn't kill you out right. Picking amphetamines over strychnine would be a no brainer and history has proven that.
  • like x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#9 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Of course - that's what I meant when I said that the therapeutic index for Strychnine was lower than for amphetamines. That is probably why athletes went away from it, but it would still be nice with a source.

If Strychnine turns out to have no neurotoxicity, or other toxicity problems, at useful nootropic dosages, it would be more interesting as a nootopic/stimulant than amphetamines (in my eyes at least).

Edited by cybe, 13 November 2013 - 02:03 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#10 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

So exactly by what mechanism is Strychnine toxic? By what Mechanism does it act? Some of those experiences that people described above sounded more psychedelic than nootropic to me. While there can be parallels between the two, we should not mistakenly exchange the words.
  • like x 1

#11 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Strychnine is an antagonist of Glycine. Glycine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so by ingesting strychnine it binds to the glycine receptors, reducing the inhibition normally caused by glycine, thus leading to nerve impulses being triggerede by lower levels of neurotransmitters.

Glycine is especially active in the spinal cord, brainstem, and retina. The reason it sounds like a psychedelic is probably because it makes colors more powerful (maybe due to its effects on the retina?) and physical sensations stronger due to less inhibition of the nerve signals. It does not seem to be psychedelic as such.

As far as I can tell, the mechanism by which strychnine is toxic is by simply being an antagonist of glycine. Taking too much strychnine will result in hyperexcitability and muscle convulsions that can then lead to death.

Thus, if a controlled lowering of glycine is not dangerous in itself, strychnine can probably only said to be toxic if an overdose is taken. But I don't know if this is the case, or whether strychnine is toxic in other ways too.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#12 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

What are the supposed doses of this in nootropic amounts? It sounds as if it could be nootropic in the right doses. The most powerful and useful substances on the planet are also some of the most deadly due to their ability to effect the body to such an extent.

#13 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

According to the anecdotal data:

"As little as 0.5 mg of strychnine produces a really superb nootropic effect."

So 500 mcg pure Strychnine. The lowest identified LD50 in humans is 30 mg, and anecdotal data suggests that one should not take more than 3 mg to avoid unpleasant side effects.

As most people do not have access to pure strychnine, this calculation was found in the anecdotal data:

"For most people, 50 mg of nux vomica seed is plenty enough.That can contain up to 1.325 mg of strychnine, but will more typically contain 0.615 mg of strychnine."

#14 ArmySkater

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

From my understanding Strychnine can't be considered a Nootropic because it's toxic. This goes against one of the very basic ideas of Nootropics. Just sayin :)
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 3

#15 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

From my understanding Strychnine can't be considered a Nootropic because it's toxic. This goes against one of the very basic ideas of Nootropics. Just sayin :)

I disagree. Everything is toxic and dangerous if you take enough of it. Even Piracetam with it's incredibly high safety rating.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#16 telight

• 173 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

It doesn't make sense to say that some substance is toxic. It makes sense to say that's its toxic at some dose, clearly if you take a nanogram of strychnine no toxicity will ensue. A nootropic is non-toxic at a dose that enhances cognition. All substances are toxic at some dose.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#17 ArmySkater

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ok, fair enough..... and feel free to call me some crazy Nootropic purist "kook" but allow me to correct myself. A true Nootropic should demonstrate extremely low toxicity. These are the words of the guy who first came up with Nootropics.

Call it what you want but at the end of the day Strychnine is still considered a highly toxic compound that's used primarily as a pesticide.

And at the end of the day who really cares? :) We all know what we're talking about here.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#18 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Ok, fair enough..... and feel free to call me some crazy Nootropic purist "kook" but allow me to correct myself. A true Nootropic should demonstrate extremely low toxicity. These are the words of the guy who first came up with Nootropics.

Call it what you want but at the end of the day Strychnine is still considered a highly toxic compound that's used primarily as a pesticide.

And at the end of the day who really cares? :) We all know what we're talking about here.

True enough... Even though 'low toxicity' is entirely relative in the first place ;)

#19 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Please share your experiences if you've tried strychnine as a nootropic. I understand it's mainly a stimulant, but it's supposed to be cognitive enhancer, too. What is the characteristics of strychnine cognitive enhancement?

Edited by mission780, 23 November 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#20 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

What about Securinine?

http://books.google....otropic&f=false

It might be an safer alternative for those who have reservations using Strychnince (I do not)

#21 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

More info on Securinine.

4. Biological properties of Securinega alkaloids

Securinega suffruticosa has been long used as an important medical plant for the treatment of many kinds of diseases. Securinine is one of major alkaloids isolated from the plant and it exhibits most of the pharmacological activity associated with the plant. As a result, the following discussion will mainly focus on the biological properties of securinine.
a stimulant to the CNS, especially in the spinal cord, and was found to have a higher therapeutic index than strychnine though it showed lower action intensity[21–23]. Early clinical investigations revealed that securinine could be used for the treatment of some neurological diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis[24].
The exact mechanism of securinine’s CNS activity remained undetermined until 1985 when Beutler et al described it and its analogue dihydrosecurinine as selective antagonists of GABA recognition sites on the mammalian central nervous[25]. This discovery was confirmed and expanded by many subsequent studies, which led to the clinical use of securinine as a GABA receptor inhibitor. The equilibrium binding assays revealed that securinine and dihy­ drosecurinine inhibit [3H]GABA binding to rat brain membranes with an IC50 (approximately 50 μM) that is some 7 times less potent than bicuculline, while allosecurinine and virosecurinine have IC50 values greater than 1 mM. Simultaneously securinine and dihydrosecurinine were found to be potent in inhibiting GABA­activated benzodiazepine binding in rat brain assays. Furthermore, securinine also showed no inhibitory potency in benzodiazepine and muscarinic cholinergic or in β­adrenergic binding assays. All these results suggested that securinine is a selective antagonist at central receptors associated with an inhibitory effect of GABA on neurons due to its specific binding to GABA receptors. Since neither securinine nor dihydrosecurinine reduced the inhibitory effect of glycine on neurons in the cat spinal cord, the glycinergic mechanism of securinine’s activity postulated previously was finally rejected. Further studies based on molecular orbital calculations performed on crystal atomic coordinates revealed the binding between securinine and GABAA receptors. The presented pharmacophore of its structure accounted for the antagonistic activities of securinine and the in­activities of its isomers virosecurinine and allosecurinine[26], which suggested that securinine’s binding to GABA receptor is stereospecific.
Securinine has been regarded as a popular CNS stimulant since the 1960’s, and it was used to study other related effects on the CNS as a GABAA receptor antagonist, especially in Russia and China. It im­ proved alcohol­induced amnesia in the dentate gyrus of anesthetized rats[27], and had analeptic action on the hypnotic effects of intravenous anesthetics[28]. Intriguingly, one study suggested that D­securinine improved cognitive deficits and neurodegeneration induced by β­amyloid protein and it may be helpful in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease[29]. The results also demonstrated that D­securinine could significantly decrease acetylcholinesterase (AchE) activity and has no effect on acetyltransferase (ChAT). Moreover, D­securinine was able to reduce the glial inflammatory responses induced by β­amyloid protein. Other studies suggested securinine could serve as a potentially helpful drug in neurological degenerative diseases by blocking GABA receptors and their cholinergic mechanism[30,31].

4.5. Toxicity of securinine

Securinine’s toxicity had been investigated as it was viewed as an important CNS stimulant in early studies. One study reported an intravenous LD50 value of 3.5 mg/kg for securinine nitrate in mice[41]. The toxicologic actions in intact mice and cats of securinine nitrate was tested as well as its inhibitory on the in vitro acetylcholinesterase­acetylcholine system and its use as blocking agents on the action current from the single node of Ranvier in frog sciatic nerves. The results from these studies suggested that securinine nitrate is a comparatively weak anti­ cholinesterase and nodal blocking agent, but a very powerful convulsant and paralyzant. Another study revealed that securinine had an LD50 value of 6.4 mg/kg (i.v.) and an LD50 of 20 mg/kg (s.c.) in mice[42]. Moreover, this study revealed that securinine was more toxic than phyllochrysine and could more easily cause violent convulsions. Securinine’s clinical application for various activities was greatly restricted due to its ability to cause strong convulsiveness. Securinine­induced seizure
could be inhibited by the combination of GABA and diazepam[43].
Pu et al[44] compared the toxic effects of virose­ curinine and securinine and the results showed that acute toxicity of virosecurinine was much lower (1/13.6) than that of securinine, and that virose­ curinine presented no convulsive effects on rats or frogs in the test.

http://jcps.ac.cn/qi...11)3-203-15.pdf

I'm too lay to understand everything so have at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

Strychnince or Securinine - they both seem a bit risky substances. I wonder if their nootropic properties are great enough to make them really worth the risks.

#23 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

This is very interesting. Rather than boosting any neurotransmitters, it causes lower levels of ALL neurotransmitters to be needed in order to trigger a nerve impulse. But at some point this becomes undesirable and deadly. I wonder what the long-term consequences of chronic use could be. You would expect the body to use glycine to keep neurotransmission at optimal levels for health and performance. Most CNS stimulants usually take their toll and you need to recover afterwards.

My main concern with strychnine would be the extreme toxicity of it and the potential to kill yourself if you get the wrong dose. I wonder if the same effect can be achieved with a weaker glycine antagonist?

According to Wikipedia the following are also glycine receptor antagonists:

Bicuculline
Brucine
Caffeine
Picrotoxin
Strychnine
Tutin

Except for caffeine, none of these are very nice substances, but brucine is apparently not as toxic as strychnine.

#24 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

feel free to call me some crazy Nootropic purist "kook" but allow me to correct myself. A true Nootropic should demonstrate extremely low toxicity.

I disagree that there is a purism to nootropic qualification, other than a substance's effectiveness as a cognitive enhancer. The longer term/more permanent the enhancement, the more appropriate is the qualification of 'nootropic' in my opinion.

Of course, the practical qualification of 'nootropic' seems fairly meaningless the way people tend to mix and match various stacks in their quest for 'nootropics', some which can meet your criteria and many which would clearly run afoul either due to lack of significant effectiveness (beyond prophylaxis, short term stimulation, or short lived homeostatic disturbance) or long term down-regulation or even damage. Given the real lack of credibly effective long term enhancers that are devoid of a significant risk of long term side-effects, we may have to consider that the grail truly effective 'nootropic with extremely low toxicity' (which implies high doses) may not actually exist in nature. This, despite the noble attempt of the man who coined the term 'nootropics' to define the boundaries.

Now, if you do want to include the low toxicity stipulation, then strychnine can be argued to meet meets this criteria - at very low doses. Dose is everything, for everything and, I would offer, especially everything that seems to have exceptional effectiveness as a true nootropic. LSD will make permanent, arguably beneficial changes in your brain at very low doses. There isn't anything that you can by OTC or via prescription that has such a similarly effective action. However, I wouldn't recommend consistent LSD or even moderate dose LSD as a method toward such change. Dose (and frequency) is everything, and it seems to especially be everything for substances that tend to be most effective. Strychnine meets all of your criteria, it just requires precision in its dosing. Something that is toxic at 1 gram, and effective at 5 mg, can't and can be described as being low toxicity. It is low toxicity at 5 mg and it isn't at 1 gram. For someone that can't be bothered to measure everything carefully, then they should stick to substances with a higher margin for error in dosing. When you find the substance that is both startling effective as a nootropic and low toxicity/low long-term side effect risk (a manifestation of non-lethal toxicity) then please start a thread on it.

Something that does not meet this criteria might be something like cocaine. Cocaine has a short lived, striking (or so I hear) cognitive enhancing effect, but the dose taken to achieve such enhancement is the toxic dose. Down-regulation and damage always ensues at the effective dose.

The pesticide comment is a straw man, but that's okay. Is strychnine highly toxic at 3 mg? I don't know, but that question would need to be answered before we label it as absolutely toxic.

I've always looked at human health from the perspective of a stress/adaptation/new homeostasis/ cycle. It's easy to forget this as I/we read through the labyrinth of reports and aspirations here on longecity. However, these posts about strychnine serve to again remind me of this principle. I'm dubious of any substance that can have a long term beneficial enhancement effect without somehow operating within this principle.

Note: This post isn't meant to be a motivational speech for strychnine use. Don't take it as such. Heed the warning at the top of this thread. You can die from strychnine. Don't use it, and if you do you do it at your own risk. This post is only an appeal to rational inquiry and fallacy free conversation toward a better informed consensus.

#25 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

I have decided to go on with an extraction.

Nux Vomica Seed Weight: 2.319 g.
Average Strychnine Content: 28.52 mg.
Maximum Strychnine Content: 61.45 mg.
Amount of Vinegar: 57 ml.

The seed has been put in a Mason jar with 57 ml. vinegar, and will be allowed to soak for 3 days.
After soaking, the seeds will be put into a blender, and the resulting liquid strained and put into a clean jar.
If the contents of the new jar is less than 57 ml., more vinegar is added.

This should lead to each ml. of the extract containing around 500 mcg (max. 1.08 mg) strychnine, which should be a safe and effective dose according to the information gathered in OP.

To be safe, I will take 1 drop of the solution, wait 3 hours, and then take another 5 drops. These small doses are unlikely to give any noticeable effects, but in case I screwed up somewhere (or I turn out to be extremely sensitive) these doses will show me without killing me.

After the safety-trial I will wait at least 7 days to avoid tolerance, and then take 1 ml.
If no effects are felt at this dosage, another 7 day break will be held, and 1.5 ml will be trialed.

Anecdotal data suggests never taking more than 3 mg (a tenth of the LD50) to avoid side-effects. I will therefore not subject myself to more than an ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM of 6 ml. of this tincture, even if I don't notice any effects. Should this be the case, I assume the seeds I got have been treated to remove strychnine, and I will have to order some new ones.

Edited by cybe, 27 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#26 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Caffeine is primarily used as a pesticide in nature, but is nonetheless the most widely consumed psychoactive drug by humans. It is also considered a nootropic on this board and by people in general.

When looking up the LD50 for caffeine, the lowest amount I could find was 150 mg per kilogram of body mass = 10500 for a person weighing 70 kg. A common dosage seems to be around 200 mg - meaning that the dosage used for nootropic purposes is around 1.9% of the LD50.

The lowest LD50 I could find for strychnine was 30 mg, with a useful dose for nootropic effects claimed to be 500 mcg. This leads to a useful dosage being only around 1.6% of the LD50.

So in regards to active vs. deadly dosage, strychnine can't really be considered "more toxic" than caffeine - but it requires CAREFUL handling and dosing, as the active and deadly dosages are very low. The negative effects of a non-deadly strychnine overdosage may also be more dramatic and unpleasant than those of a caffeine-overdose, and I in no way try to underplay how dangerous a chemical strychnine is.

Also note that I haven't been able to find any information regarding long-term effects of glycine antagonism, or whether strychnine has toxic effects through other mechanisms.

#27 cybe

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

My extraction process didn't go as planned. The blender simply couldn't chop up the seed, even though it had been soaked in vinegar for the last 5-6 days.
I used a knife to cut it into pieces instead, and I'm letting it soak in the vinegar for the next couple of days. Hopefully this will be enough to let most of the strychnine get extracted into the vinegar.

Safety Measures
Before attempting the whole exraction process I had a glass of Kava Kava, which acts as an antidote for strychnine. Another glass of Kava Kava was made and ready. A friend of mine, who lives close by, was informed about my project. He was told to come over (with his cellphone ready) if I didn't report back to him within 15 minutes of starting the extraction process. I used thick rubber gloves and wore glasses to ensure no active material would be absorbed through skin or eyes.
  • like x 1

#28 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

My extraction process didn't go as planned. The blender simply couldn't chop up the seed, even though it had been soaked in vinegar for the last 5-6 days.
I used a knife to cut it into pieces instead, and I'm letting it soak in the vinegar for the next couple of days. Hopefully this will be enough to let most of the strychnine get extracted into the vinegar.

Safety Measures
Before attempting the whole exraction process I had a glass of Kava Kava, which acts as an antidote for strychnine. Another glass of Kava Kava was made and ready. A friend of mine, who lives close by, was informed about my project. He was told to come over (with his cellphone ready) if I didn't report back to him within 15 minutes of starting the extraction process. I used thick rubber gloves and wore glasses to ensure no active material would be absorbed through skin or eyes.

This IS a real poison! I realized that even more now...after your post:-)

I don't think I would ever like to try it, especially that there are alternative substances that can give the same effect (or even better) without bigger danger. Why use a potentially so dangerous substance if one can choose a safer one?
  • like x 1

#29 michael_george

• 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

If you are going to make vinegar tincture, how long do you soak in vinegar after grinding wet seeds into paste? And while you are using tincture, should you hold on to seed paste?

These ?s are for cybe

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Glycine receptors (GlyRs) in the nucleus accumbens (nAc) have recently been suggested to be involved in the reinforcing and dopamine-elevating properties of ethanol via a neuronal circuitry involving the VTA

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19543795

In short, Activation on Glycine receptors (GlyR) in NAcc (nucleus Accumbens) elevates Dopamine levels, strychnine antagonize this effect made by glycine agonism on NAcc GlyRs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strychnine, nootropic, experimental, dangerous

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users