- - - - -

Herbs that may contribute to hypertension

herbs hypertension ginseng gingko resveratrol bitter orange ephedra yohimbine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Anyone experienced hypertension or prehypertension resulting from a herb they were consuming?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23271526

Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Jan;131(1):168-73. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e318272f1bb.

Herbal products that may contribute to hypertension.

Jalili J, Askeroglu U, Alleyne B, Guyuron B.

Source
Department of Plastic Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
The role of hypertension in the incidence of postoperative hematoma has been well documented. A large number of patients who undergo aesthetic surgery consume a variety of herbal products, some of which may cause or exacerbate hypertension. The purpose of this study was to review the herbal products that are known to cause hypertension and thus may play a role in postoperative complications.

METHODS:
The MEDLINE and PubMed databases were searched for articles published from 1991 to 2011. Search terms included "hypertension," "herbal supplements," "herbals and hypertension," "blood pressure," and "dietary supplements." References from reviews about herbal products and hypertension were searched for additional articles and case reports. A manual search was also conducted based on citations in the published literature.

RESULTS:
Of 56 articles that were found to be related to herbal supplements that contribute to hypertension, 27 were excluded because of insufficient demonstration of the association or duplication. Twenty-nine articles, which examined the cause, pathophysiology, and risk factors of hypertension in addition to herbals, were included. In addition, four books were reviewed that contained some information regarding the association of hypertension and herbal products. The herbal products that may cause hypertension include arnica, bitter orange, blue cohosh, dong quai, ephedra, ginkgo, ginseng, guarana, licorice, pennyroyal oil, Scotch broom, senna, southern bayberry, St. John's wort, and yohimbine.

CONCLUSION:
This study lists the herbal products that may cause hypertension and should be considered when a patient undergoes plastic surgery to reduce perioperative morbidity related to the herbal supplements.

Comment in
Discussion: Herbal products that may contribute to hypertension. [Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013]

PMID: 23271526 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#2 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

All of the herbs cited I would generally agree with except ginkgo, which I thought if anything can lead to hypotension.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

No surprise there when reading the list of herbs many are stimulants and amhetamine-like

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Except for ginkgo.

#5 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I medicate for high blood pressure with Benicar and Amlodipine Besylate but used to take ginkgo regularly. Didn't see any blood pressure change after discontinuing ginkgo and am thinking of resuming it. Apparently, there's more concern ginkgo can lower blood pressure too much if you also medicate. I think there have only been case reports of it raising blood pressure when taken together with a thiazide diuretic water pill.

Here's a paper that mentions it:

... case reports have demonstrated that ginkgo may potentiate bleeding when combined with warfarin or aspirin, increases blood pressure when combined with thiazide diuretics, and has even led to a coma when combined with trazodone, a serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor used to treat depression...

Howard

#6 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Also, they seem to have omitted Rhodiola Rosea which is highly synergistic with caffeine.

Howard

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Andrographis lowered my bp a bit too much (I think, at least it did something I didn't like to my heart) ...
Ginseng (panax and American) raised it too much.
Gingko had no effect (low dose).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: herbs, hypertension, ginseng, gingko, resveratrol, bitter orange, ephedra, yohimbine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users