• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What E Complex/Mixed Tocopherol/tocotrienols do you use?

vitamin e tocopherol tocotrienol e complex

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Topic is self-explanatory.

#2 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

I take E and tocotrionols separately. For E I use A.C. Grace Unique E, which is supposed to be soy free. Previous to that I took Carlson's E Gems Elite but I want to avoid soy oils.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I take E and tocotrionols separately. For E I use A.C. Grace Unique E, which is supposed to be soy free. Previous to that I took Carlson's E Gems Elite but I want to avoid soy oils.

That question is a bit of a jungle, isn't it? I tried to read up on it to work out what is best, and I found that just about every subdivision of Vitamin E inhibits every other one in one study or another.

Best I can do, I decided, is take one multivitamin in the morning and one in the evening and none with my lunch, which includes nuts. If one takes research on tocopherols and tocotrienols seriously, the eight different types of E in nuts would hamper one another; but since nature surely does not work like that, I am hoping it works according to some kind of masterplan associated with bodily need. I would be happy to take a multivitamin without any Vitamin E in it and just eat nuts, but I cannot find one like that.

Edited by Gerrans, 02 December 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#4 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

^So to sum up your post...

Posted Image

#5 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

^So to sum up your post...

Posted Image

Yes, this is my response to most nutritional issues, I fear.

Vitamin E is particularly confusing, though; and I shall be very surprised if someone comes here and has all the answers on it.

Why did I bother to comment, then? Because I wanted to hint that we should maybe trust nature on this one and just eat normal food that has Vitamin E in it, in whatever forms.

Edited by Gerrans, 02 December 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#6 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

I was just joking around cause of your icon. But what studies would you site that would suggest supplementing mixed Es would be zero-sum benefit and not worth it at all?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 02 December 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#7 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I was just joking around cause of your icon. But what studies would you site that would suggest supplementing mixed Es would be zero-sum benefit and not worth it at all?

Well, I am not saying there would be zero benefit, but that some benefits might in theory cancel each other out.

"Despite promising evidence from in vitro experiments and observational studies, supplementation of diets with α-tocopherol has not reduced the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer in most large-scale clinical trials. One plausible explanation is that the potential health benefits of α-tocopherol supplements are offset by deleterious changes in the bioavailability and/or bioactivity of other nutrients. We studied the effects of supplementing diets with RRR-α-tocopheryl acetate (400 IU/d) on serum concentrations of γ- and δ-tocopherol in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial in 184 adult nonsmokers. Outcomes were changes in serum concentrations of γ- and δ-tocopherol from baseline to the end of the 2-mo experimental period. Compared with placebo, supplementation with α-tocopherol reduced serum γ-tocopherol concentrations by a median change of 58% [95% CI = (51%, 66%), P < 0.0001], and reduced the number of individuals with detectable δ-tocopherol concentrations (P< 0.0001). Consistent with trial results were the results from baseline cross-sectional analyses, in which prior vitamin E supplement users had significantly lower serum γ-tocopherol than nonusers. In view of the potential benefits of γ- and δ-tocopherol, the efficacy of α-tocopherol supplementation may be reduced due to decreases in serum γ- and δ-tocopherol levels. Additional research is clearly warranted." (Huang & Appel, "Supplementation of Diets with α-Tocopherol Reduces Serum Concentrations of γ- and δ-Tocopherol in Humans", J. Nutr.October 1, 2003)

"In a cross-sectional survey of 86 elderly persons, it was observed that subjects with elevated plasma alpha-tocopherol levels had depressed plasma gamma-tocopherol. Tocopherols were measured by both reverse-phase and normal-phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). When eight human volunteers (age range 30-60) were given 1200 IU of all-rac-alpha-tocopherol daily for 8 wk, plasma gamma-tocopherol and beta-tocopherol decreased in all subjects. After supplementation, gamma-tocopherol values were typically 30-50% of initial values, and alpha-tocopherol values were typically 200-400% of initial values. These results suggest that intestinal uptake and/or plasma transport make more efficient use of alpha-tocopherol than of gamma- or beta-tocopherol. Moreover, the results indicate that the ratio of gamma- to alpha-tocopherol in plasma would be a more satisfactory index to measure compliance in trials involving supplementation with alpha-tocopherol. (Handelman et al, "Oral alpha-tocopherol supplements decrease plasma gamma-tocopherol levels in humans", J Nutr, 1985)

Edited by Gerrans, 02 December 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#8 Blankspace

• 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm currently using Now's 80% Mixed Tocopherol E-Oil. I just add it to my bottle of EVOO which serves to preserve the olive oil, as well as provide me with a controllable low dose of mixed vitamin E.
FWIW Now's reply as to the individual tocopherol content was the following:
One serving (1/4 tsp) provides:
87IU Alpha
316mg Gamma
9mg Beta
127mg Delta

Edited by Blankspace, 03 December 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#9 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'm currently using Now's 80% Mixed Tocopherol E-Oil. I just add it to my bottle of EVOO which serves to preserve the olive oil, as well as provide me with a controllable low dose of mixed vitamin E.

I wouldn't recommend to do that. Very high levels of vitamin E actually act as a prooxidant in oils.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Blankspace

• 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

I wouldn't recommend to do that. Very high levels of vitamin E actually act as a prooxidant in oils.

Well I suppose I should have been more clear, I add one tablespoon of E-oil per 25oz of olive oil. This supplies about 20iu of alpha tocopherol per tablespoon of olive oil. I usually consume 1 - 2 tablespoons per day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin e, tocopherol, tocotrienol, e complex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users