- - - - -

Tamoxifen as a Noot

tamoxifen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Seems nootropic in my male brain. If anyone wants to dig up studies proving it is nootropic or neuroprotective, I am sure they exist.

#2 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

You really are crazy! Why on earth would you take that? :L

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

He could be weight training maybe? xks201 you haven't given us an objective measure or indicated the presence of a underlying condition. Even in a hypothetical situation where you could produce a single study that demonstrated the nootropic effects of Tamoxifen why bother when there are hundreds of better drugs in existence?

Edited by Metagene, 31 December 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Some guys take it for enhancement of testosterone production.

#5 xks201

• Topic Starter
  • 839 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

yeah...weight lifter...on testosterone. so it blocks estrogen binding.

#6 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

I know what it does (don't mean that to sound arsey...I just do, don't know how else to phrase it, if you follow). This is a drug with a list of possibly serious or fatal side effects, I simply amazed to find people would take it just to add a few extra pounds.

Also its linked to decreased cognitive function.

#7 xks201

• Topic Starter
  • 839 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

I know what it does (don't mean that to sound arsey...I just do, don't know how else to phrase it, if you follow). This is a drug with a list of possibly serious or fatal side effects, I simply amazed to find people would take it just to add a few extra pounds.

Do you have a link to the study showing it is linked to negative cognitive function? Tom, before you get on your high horse, I have to take testosterone because I have a pituitary problem. I am prescribed it. The problem is that for some reason my body makes massive amounts of aromatase and the aromatase inhibitors I have tried still leave me with a sky high estrogen number. So I have to take a SERM like tamoxifen otherwise I get no benefits whatsoever from T therapy and possibly do worse on it. It has been used in women for years and to my knowledge has not caused any fatalities amongst them.

Edited by xks201, 31 December 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#8 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I thought you were taking just to weight lift. That would be insane. Although now I've had time to think about it, I actually recall a few people doing that.

A simple pubmed search will list more than I can think of.

Fatalities have been seen follow massive increases in triclycerieds, rapid onset/worsening metabolic syndrome x leading to MI's. There may be other different causes, all I know is I wouldn't want to be on the drug.

#9 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Tamoxifen is not that dangerous, certainly not as dangerous as Tom points out(where do you get the "fatal" from?)... but it may cause joint problems (less water in joints because of it's negative effect on estrogen effects, so watch out...).
Maybe it would get people to concentrate better that are normally too emotional due to high estrogen. Or in non-testosterone "supplementing" subjects with low baseline testosterone, it may have a similar effect.

#10 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Do you have a link to the study showing it is linked to negative cognitive function? Tom, before you get on your high horse, I have to take testosterone because I have a pituitary problem. I am prescribed it. The problem is that for some reason my body makes massive amounts of aromatase and the aromatase inhibitors I have tried still leave me with a sky high estrogen number. So I have to take a SERM like tamoxifen otherwise I get no benefits whatsoever from T therapy and possibly do worse on it. It has been used in women for years and to my knowledge has not caused any fatalities amongst them.

Low-T levels have a negative effects on cognition in men so it's not Tamoxifen per se that has nootropic properties.

Testosterone may also be a neuroprotectant.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/15591638/

#11 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Testosterone a neuroprotectant? Only in normal levels, I assume...

#12 Nootmeup

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

I think Nolvadex ( taxamofiphe) could be a nootropic reason being is yes it does boost testosterone which help people feel very focused or so I've read when people are taking male TRT they show improvements in brain function. Also nolva does block estrogen but also it's a SERM like clomid it itself is an actual estrogen. Which is why people sometimes get moody on nolva I think this could support good memory. Case in point women who hit menopause their estrogen starts declining which leaves them with horrible memory problems around that age lack of estrogen and progesterone but I'm only 25 what do I know I just do a lot of reading

#13 3AlarmLampscooter

• 352 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

While we're on strange and controversial nootropics: http://www.sciencedi...028390811001900

Appears there are actually quite a large number of drugs that display hormesis with regards to neurotoxicity/neuroprotection depending on dose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Fatalities have been seen follow massive increases in triclycerieds, rapid onset/worsening metabolic syndrome x leading to MI's.

Not sure where this comes from since AFAICR studies tend to show a neutral or even beneficial effect on lipids from tamoxifen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamoxifen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users