D-Cycloserine for Treatment Resistant Depression

nmda glycine depression clinical trials

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:00 AM

I figured the mental health subforum would be a good place to share this. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

A relative of mine is about to start on d-cycloserine, as an adjunct to their tranylcypromine prescription, for treatment-resistant major depressive disorder. D-cycloserine is a prescription antibiotic commonly used for TB. It also acts as an NMDA receptor glycine partial agonist. At low doses, it is an NMDAR glycine agonist that can be a treatment for anxiety, OCD, and schizophrenia. At higher doses (~1000mg), d-cycloserine is an NMDAR glycine antagonist that can be used for unipolar and bipolar depression. Other NMDAR glycine partial agonists being researched for depression are GLYX-13 and lanicemine. Antagonizing the glycine site appears to confer similar antidepressant effects to ketamine (a noncompetive NMDA antagonist) without unwanted side effects.

The protocol in a recent trial for d-cycloserine as an adjunct for treatment-resistant MDD will be followed:Attached File  S1461145712000910a.pdf   122.87KB   28 downloads

The trial showed "Of the 13 [treatment-resistant depression] subjects treated with DCS[D-Cycloserine], 54% had a > 50% HAMD score reduction vs. 15% of the 13 patients randomized to placebo (p=0.039)." The sample size does not give me confidence that this treatment will be efficacious, but d-cycloserine is a much less risky adjunct to tranylcypromine than other options.

In fact, the only study I could find regarding MAOI-cycloserine reactions found that d-cycloserine (at an unspecified dose) potentiates tranylcypromine: http://www.sciencedi...006295265901760. This drug is also available at many pharmacies and can be covered by insurance for "infections".

Edited by Ampamet, 31 December 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#2 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

So this explains why D-cycloserine is potentially psychotomimetic at higher doses. Thanks for the info; I'm looking in to this stuff for myself at low dose.
Agonism seems more beneficial than antagonism IMO. Good luck to your relative.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Ampamet

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

So this explains why D-cycloserine is potentially psychotomimetic at higher doses. Thanks for the info; I'm looking in to this stuff for myself at low dose.
Agonism seems more beneficial than antagonism IMO. Good luck to your relative.

D-cycloserine really is a strange antibiotic. Feel free to download the study PDF I posted, its otherwise blocked by a paywall. I've read through several studies that concluded low dose works for anxiety, phobias (with exposure therapy), even autism, but is ineffective for depression. The study in the PDF is the first one with a a high dose used for depression for reasons the researchers explain in the paper, and it gave promising results. They are considering switching to low doses if the high dose is ineffective, however.

#4 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

A bunch of people i know have tried it for social anxiety along with exposure therapy with varying sucess. It would probably indirectly increase neurogenesis in a similar way to ssri's if taken long enough. What really intrigued me years ago was that soldiers taking it for malaria or something started noticing anxiety reduction. I'm always hopeful when i hear something like this because they had no reason to think it would help them for anxiety so it sort of eliminates placebo. Unfortunately recent reports haven't been overly positive.
  • like x 1

#5 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

10-100nM of sunifiram has been noted to enhance NMDA-dependent signalling via an increase in PKCα phosphorylation, dependent on the glycine binding site and acting antagonistically to Glycine
Glycine
Glycine is an amino acid and neurotransmitter that serves both stimulatory and depressant roles in the brain. While supplementation of this amino acid is mostly limited due to such a high intake being needed (usually over 40g), three grams may improve sleep quality.
(300μM).[6] (examine)

If nmdar plays a role in anxiety and depression could sunifiram be a alternative?
  • like x 1

#6 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

This is interesting, thank you. I'd been informed that (in doses used for OCD, at least) there were no real subjective, psychoactive effects on d-cycloserine .. it simply enhanced the learning process when undergoing exposure therapy.

#7 PositiveAtom

• 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

I just started taking it maybe a week ago. It's not like WOOHHHH... could do without (as with all nootropics) but I believe anxiety is reduced (social anxiety)

good read socialpiranha, where'd they get the Cycloserine?

Edited by PositiveAtom, 10 March 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#8 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

That's interesting PositiveAtom, please keep us posted. Which dose are you taking?

I wanted to try it, and found that NewMind has it, however they never replied to my e-mail in which I inquired about whether the remaining 40% is L-Cycloserine, or impurities. Hence, I forgot about it and never ordered.
Still believing NMDAR modulation could be helpful in my case, I'm now taking GLYX-13, and have also ordered D-Aspartic Acid. The former I have yet to form an opinion about though, as I've yet to try a higher dose than 1mg/kg.

PositiveAtom, do you notice cognitive effects, if any?

#9 easeforthesoul

• 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Could anyone on d-cycloserine tell me of their dosage regimen?

Thanks.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#10 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

If anyone was wondering about NewMind's D-Cyclo, they replied to me on Reddit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmda, glycine, depression, clinical trials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users