• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Marijuana can help ease the pain of social exclusion and low self-esteem!

loneliness+marijuana

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

I know plenty of people who can vouch for Marijuana helping with emotional pain that occurs with loneliness. I think this is a very positive and humane effect that comes from pot smoking. Loneliness kills people. Also that it helps with self- esteem. Perhaps Marijuana could work on somebody working on their self- esteem. Remember what the article states, it won't fix your problems but it could be of an aid.

Article

Article

Newly published research suggests that one of the main reasons people enjoy smoking marijuana is because it helps them combat intense feelings of social exclusion.
Rather than simply getting high for the heck of it, a research team led by University of Kentucky psychologist Timothy Deckman has found that cannabis relieves not only physical pain but also emotional pain.

Marijuana use buffered the lonely from both negative self-worth and poor mental health,’ the researchers wrote in the Social Psychological and Personality Science journal.
Another experiment found people who were experiencing social pain were less likely to have suffered a major depression in the past year if they were regular pot smokers.

Study

Edited by Brainfogged, 03 January 2014 - 05:16 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

I know this is a somewhat narrow thing to say but; you can get funding for the most obvious research it's incredible.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Can Marijuana Reduce Social Pain?

Abstract

Agreed. [1] Social and physical pain share common overlap at linguistic, behavioral, and neural levels.
Noted but weak.[2] Prior research has shown that acetaminophen—an analgesic medication that acts indirectly through cannabinoid 1 receptors—reduces the social pain associated with exclusion.
OK [3] Yet, no work has examined if other drugs that act on similar receptors, such as marijuana, also reduce social pain.
Ok [4] Across four methodologically diverse samples, marijuana use consistently buffered people from the negative consequences associated with loneliness and social exclusion.
Ok [5] These effects were replicated using cross-sectional, longitudinal, and experimental designs.
Agreed. [6] These findings offer novel evidence supporting common overlap between social and physical pain processes.

I do agree that there is clear evidence that there is a common overlap between social and physical pain processes.

However, I don't see enough strength of evidence to support either marijuana or Tylenol given there mild at best benefit and clearly much more promising alternatives like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, certain psych drugs, support groups, and even simple text messaging.

"Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher." (WebMD)

#4 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Can Marijuana Reduce Social Pain?

Abstract

Agreed. [1] Social and physical pain share common overlap at linguistic, behavioral, and neural levels.
Noted but weak.[2] Prior research has shown that acetaminophen—an analgesic medication that acts indirectly through cannabinoid 1 receptors—reduces the social pain associated with exclusion.
OK [3] Yet, no work has examined if other drugs that act on similar receptors, such as marijuana, also reduce social pain.
Ok [4] Across four methodologically diverse samples, marijuana use consistently buffered people from the negative consequences associated with loneliness and social exclusion.
Ok [5] These effects were replicated using cross-sectional, longitudinal, and experimental designs.
Agreed. [6] These findings offer novel evidence supporting common overlap between social and physical pain processes.

I do agree that there is clear evidence that there is a common overlap between social and physical pain processes.

However, I don't see enough strength of evidence to support either marijuana or Tylenol given there mild at best benefit and clearly much more promising alternatives like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, certain psych drugs, support groups, and even simple text messaging.

"Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher." (WebMD)

It's not always one is socially excluded just because they suffer from a certain phobia. There's plenty of old people, people with social impediments and other problems that could benefit. In these cases CBT wouldn't help. And besides, what's the problem with the drug itself? The side- effects are minor, its easy to use and doesn't cause any long term problems. also it's a cheap drug.

I know this is a somewhat narrow thing to say but; you can get funding for the most obvious research it's incredible.

You think the statements were obvious? I thought it was the opposite!

It seems that there is a lot of psychological benefits with marijuana if a person already has some problems.
  • like x 1

#5 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

I would totally use it if I could obtain it.

#6 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Aside of some REALLY restrictive places it is fairly easy to get (and even in some "death to drug traffickers" countries it is actually easy to get. Not that I would necessarily recommend smoking it in any place like that). Certainly never heard of anyone having trouble to get it in the US or most of Europe.

In the meantime I will posit it does little to nothing of the sort claimed in the OP (and I must have smoked at least 1kg, probably 2-3kg, of top notch indoor in my teens). Even booze does better in that category. I also found it to be an abysmally bad painkiller for physical pain.

Edited by nupi, 04 January 2014 - 10:00 PM.

• like x 1

#7 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

Aside of some REALLY restrictive places it is fairly easy to get (and even in some "death to drug traffickers" countries it is actually easy to get. Not that I would necessarily recommend smoking it in any place like that). Certainly never heard of anyone having trouble to get it in the US or most of Europe.

In the meantime I will posit it does little to nothing of the sort claimed in the OP (and I must have smoked at least 1kg, probably 2-3kg, of top notch indoor in my teens). Even booze does better in that category. I also found it to be an abysmally bad painkiller for physical pain.

I must be the only guy in North America who does not have any clue how to get it then. None of my friends knows either. I guess I run in very innocent circles.

#8 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Medical marijuana is legal in 20 states + DC now and prescriptions are easy...just a formality in most cases.

http://medicalmariju...sourceID=000881

Recreational marijuana is bought and sold in shops legal (over 21) in Colorado and Washington state (no prescription required).

http://www.governing...creational.html

From my experience in Colorado, the shops are all over.

I live in Colorado and the thing to realize is that all legal means is that you can't be arrested or go to jail but can still lose your job if against company rules which it is in most cases. In fact, you just walk in a shop and buy it...much like a liquor store. They will have dozens of variety's displayed in medical type glass display jars...much like a candy store. The thing to realize is that it is still against most companies employment rules and most companies still drug test for it and you will lose your job.

Edited by Hebbeh, 05 January 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#9 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

I don't have the kind of job where you get drug tested (mostly that kind of human rights violation is restricted to blue collar workers), but that does not help since I am not in one of those states.

#10 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

I don't have the kind of job where you get drug tested (mostly that kind of human rights violation is restricted to blue collar workers), but that does not help since I am not in one of those states.

Quite to the contrary. It's a requirement for security clearances. Among many other professions. I agree, they don't seem to care with ditch diggers.

#11 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Quite to the contrary. It's a requirement for security clearances. Among many other professions. I agree, they don't seem to care with ditch diggers.

Well, what percentage of jobs really require security clearances? The vast majority of private sector jobs don't require drug tests, except for some blue collar ones where employees have few basic human rights in America. And in academia I have never heard of being drug tested.

#12 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Well, what percentage of jobs really require security clearances? The vast majority of private sector jobs don't require drug tests, except for some blue collar ones where employees have few basic human rights in America. And in academia I have never heard of being drug tested.

I guess you would be surprised. Maybe it's because of residing and working in an area (Colorado Springs) that is the center of a variety of high security clearance institutions. However, from what I understand, it is becoming very common place in many professions and most require a pre employment drug test at the least... https://www.drugfree...nt-of-employers

It's very common around here anyway. However, mentioning academia, marijuana use is locally referred to in jest in reference to CU up in Boulder.

#13 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

lol, of course it can ease the pain of social exclusion ... smoking is mostly social event, as is obtaining the drug (you have to know somebody who knows somebody ...). pass that joint already.

#14 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Smoking marijuana alters our response to negative images or emotions

The study, which was undertaken at the University Medical Center Utrecht in the Netherlands, claims that THC activates the endocannabinoid system naturally found in the brain to alter our response to negative images or emotions.

#15 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

I must be the only guy in North America who does not have any clue how to get it then. None of my friends knows either. I guess I run in very innocent circles.

Order some high grade seeds and grow the plant yourself. It grows fast and is easy to maintain.

#16 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

http://www.inquisitr...ple-says-study/

http://elitedaily.co...for-introverts/

http://www.weed-foru...hp/t-20512.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#17 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

I skipped over the last few posts, but alcohol can help with these things to and can be easily made out of fruit juice from the store. I'll take it over something that the pot growers want over 3000 a pound for any day of the week, which is most of them....no plant should be worth over 100,000 dollars for 30 of them.... I moved here from Mendocino where there are homeless all over the place broke from buying this shit....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users