Photo

Forum Support & Help Files

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 08:28 AM

Here's a link to the forum support files and frequently asked question help section. We'll continually update and add to this as we go along:

Forum Help

#2 AIGuy

• Guest, F@H
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 12:22 AM

[unsure] Recently I have started to get syntax errors from the on board using the latest version of MS Explorer under Windows XP.

I keep getting several annoying errors like missing ";" pop up whenever I try to move around from one topic to another.

Has your Java changed or has Microsoft gotten stricter on it's syntax.

Either way it may be driving people away if it can't be resolved!

#3 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 25 September 2002 - 04:11 AM

I have been geting syntax errors from both forums when I open it inside the AOL environment. I solved this by opening behind with IE6 and IE5 before.

I just blaimed it on AOL but I have antiquated equipment.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 07:52 AM

Thanks AIGuy and Laz,
I'm not exactly sure what's causing the syntax errors. However, I suspect it's a misinstalled modification I added recently or in the past.

AIGuy, has the problem just started?

#5 AIGuy

• Guest, F@H
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 11:52 PM

lol

The problem no longer seems to be be manifesting itself.

I just installed Win XP Service Pack 1 the other day.

I understand it included some Java fixes.

Either that fixed it or maybe you fixed something on your side but everythings seems clear now!

Thanks!!!

#6 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 02:33 AM

Great ! lol

#7 AIGuy

• Guest, F@H
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 01:01 AM

What is the definition difference between Level 1 and Level 2 members?

Just curious I've run into this on other boards where you could vote members up or down based on their responses.

There it was an encouragement to keep everyone civil.

I just want to make sure sure I won't miss out on the fountain of youth because my level is too low or anything lol

#8 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 01:08 AM

AIGuy,

It's based on the number of posts.

Level 1 Member 1 Posts
Level 2 Member 30 Posts
Level 3 Member 140 Posts
Level 4 Member 500 Posts

And then there's Navigators and Directors, and Advisors.

Cheers,
BJK

#9 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:57 PM

I just ran into a problem I want to advise everyone of, particularly you BJ.

When posting a URL it creates havoc and corrupts almost all attempts it the url has any brackets in it [-].

Other contributors ran into a similar problem with smilelys. Any suggestions? Can we change nomenclature for the Command function to a different bracketting symbol for example?

Also is there anyway to wither get a different "Spell Chicken"? Or perhaps get the function to accept our own "Spell Chickens" the way some Email programs do now?

I have had a lot of problems with this one because it loses too much data with slow connections and connection breaks.

It does introduce a kind of randomized editing process that makes one wonder if the Web Mind is already an active gremlin in the machine though. An element of chaos as a form of unasked for freedom and another good application of the law of unintended consequences.

#10 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 06:42 PM

Laz,
I'll look into a better spellchecker and check the problem with the html codes. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

#11 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 08:06 AM

Just to let you know.. I'm working with Reason on fixing some of the most common errors, none specifically pertaining to your above suggestions.. but progress nontheless.. lol mostly work in the CSS files.

#12 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 12:54 AM

Hi BJ,

Just thought I'd add, that I agree with Lazarus that a better spell-checker is due. I find it to be quirky at times, and I'm sure it throws off some users who have dial-up connections, which can be slow at times. I also think the lay-out of the spell-checker is a little bit lacking, but on more of a technical-side, I have noticed that this spell-checker also fails to recognize many common words (including the word "Internet", for some reason), and doesn't appear to be programmed to recognize any phrases, or common small combinations of words.

Cheers, I say to you, the day after Toronto's 1st major snow-fall of the year. (8 inches.) It's melting already, though. ;)

#13 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:39 AM

Thanks Limitless.... good suggestion.

#14 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:09 PM

Hi again, BJ,

Sorry to trouble you, but could you please explain why 4 posts from about a week ago (2 by myself, and 2 by thefirstimmortal), have apparently been removed from the "FDA Tyranny in Action" thread? If no technical problem exists, were these posts moderated? If so, who did/can do this, and why was this done at this time? -I ask this because none of the posts contained anything remotely controversial to anyone on the site. Also, 2 other posts (1 by myself, 1 by thefirstimmortal) that were posted yesterday, after 7pm & 11 pm respectively, are the most recent in the thread I mentioned, yet they don't appear unless one clicks on the "Show All" feature. I was just wondering what's going on here, and what the policy of the Institute is on moderating/moving posts.

Thanks. ;)

#15 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 07:10 PM

Do you mean the topic: Fda Unconstitutional

http://www.imminst.o...t=20

As to the "Show All", if a topic has more than 20 posts, you have to show all or go to the next page.

Hope this helps.

#16 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 12:01 AM

Yes, that does help-Thanks. Sorry for wasting your time. It appears that I have miscalculated, in my semi-consciousness. (Silly Me! [roll] [blush] ) I must have forgotten what thread I typed those 2 posts in. [blush]

From now on, I'll try to avoid this by getting more sleep. This will help me live longer, as well. Maybe we should start a thread about "Lack of sleep", and its "Negative effects on hormones throughout the body." I'm going to return to berating myself. Perhaps I'll even have time for dinner. ;) ............ [sleep]

#17 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 01:41 AM

Hehe.. not a problem.

#18 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 08:50 AM

I love the recent enhancements to the site! ;) The change to white & light-blue from darker-blue at the top of the screen allows the commands at the top of the screen to appear in a much clearer & more-efficient way. This seemingly minor-change will make the site much more usable. When I made those recommendations a while back, this is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind [!] I look forward to the new year, and the eventual completion of parts 2 & 3 of the FAQs. I have some people (besides myself) who will benefit from reading them....I hope to use them to convert a few intelligent, but "Naturally skeptical" people to our cause. ;) ......it could save their life.....

Oh yeah: it looks like our friend BJ can be quite the night-owl himself lol ........ the owl-avatar is gone.... long live BJ's pic! But....Here's to immortality in body & image, not just pixels. :)

#19 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 09:21 AM

Heh..

/me keeps the owl in reserve for those late night navigational exploits.. lol

Thanks Limitless... always appreciate your input.

FAQs 2/3 are in the works... I'll devote the month of Jan to their completion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users