Photo
- - - - -

"Something similar to Pyritinol"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeromewilson

• 153 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:23 PM

A friend of mine whose mother has recently suffered stroke induced coma asked her doctor if they had administered Pyritinol. The doctor told him that they were treating her with "something similar" and walked away. Obviously that's incredibly vague and sadly typical of many doctors who see their profession as something that should not be discussed with the uninitiated except in the most patronising way, and tend to take offence at being questioned by a mere mortal. [!:)]

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone know of anything that is "similar" to Pyritinol?

#2 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:16 PM

So you're saying there is nothing similar to Pyritinol? Not even B6? :) (I'm aware the function is different, but the chemical is similar.)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jeromewilson

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

The doctor was lying

Hmm, that's what I figured.

I've only ever met two doctors in my life that I felt I could respect, the rest seemed to suffer terribly from chronic arrogance and had phobias of talking, inquiry, investiagtion and many other things that would seem to be important if not nesessary in a physician. Most seem to prefer tossing the current drug rep favourite over their shoulder without a backward glance. They have a hard job, pressure of time, responsibility etc. but whatever the reasons I really think there's something wrong with the medical profession today.

Sorry, rant over :)

#4 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:07 AM

So you're saying there is nothing similar to Pyritinol? Not even B6? :) (I'm aware the function is different, but the chemical is similar.)

B-6 and Pyritinol are as different as Piracetam and GABA.

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:08 AM

The more interesting (to me) question is where you found a doctor that had even heard of pyritinol. Are you somewhere outside the US?

"I really think there's something wrong with the medical profession today" :)

#6 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:10 AM

Sorry, rant over.

Hehe, you're allowed to rant on your own thread. :)

Speaking of doctors, I recently had a checkup with a doctor my family recommended. I liked the guy and he seems like he knows what he's doing except for the fact that he weighs over 350 pounds!! How can I respect a doctor who lets himself go like that?

Hehe, rant over. :)

#7 jeromewilson

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

The more interesting (to me) question is where you found a doctor that had even heard of pyritinol. Are you somewhere outside the US?

I'm in the UK in fact. I figured that pyritinol has been around for 30 years and seems to have had good results with coma induced stroke, so they'd know about it, but I guess I'm being naive.

Ummm, you wouldn't happen to be an MD would you Scott...? Ah, obviously there are many notable exceptions to my sweeping generalization :)

Hehe, you're allowed to rant on your own thread

I guess so, but I'm a bit paranoid about 'The Catcher'. Sounds pretty scary to me...

#8 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Ummm, you wouldn't happen to be an MD would you Scott...?

[lol] But I was basically agreeing with you. No offense taken.

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:22 AM

I like the following quote I once heard someone say

"You have the right to your own opinion but it's wrong!"

;)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:30 AM

I'm in the UK in fact. I figured that pyritinol has been around for 30 years and seems to have had good results with coma induced stroke, so they'd know about it, but I guess I'm being naive.

Ummm, you wouldn't happen to be an MD would you Scott...? Ah, obviously there are many notable exceptions to my sweeping generalization

Hehe, you're allowed to rant on your own thread

I guess so, but I'm a bit paranoid about 'The Catcher'. Sounds pretty scary to me...

Ahh did'nt know you were in the UK, I'm in the US. Erased my inital post, fyi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users