• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does Inositol sensitization of 5HT receptor oppose SSRIs (?)

ssri inositol desensitization serotonin receptors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Recently i've found that Inositol may be 'able to reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors', ( http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9169302)

I am currently on citalopram (an SSRI) for anxiety,

and came to think about if Inositol may have restorative properties at the serotonin 5HT1A autoreceptor and 5HT2C receptor (those two are what i worry about the most),
i mean; if Inositol does in fact reverse densensitization on those receptor types, that would pretty much reverse a good deal of the SSRI anti-depressive properties..

So as my question is; Does Inositol reverse desensitization of the 5HT1A autoreceptor and the 5HT2C receptor? (and would it reverse SSRI-induced changes to them?)

#2 lammas2

• 137 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Several double-blind placebo-controlled studies have shown significant weight loss in patients treated with myo-inositol, a precursor to a number of second messengers including inositol triphosphate (IP3). IP3 is an intracellular second messenger molecule that acts downstream from the 5-HT2C receptor. Supplementation with myo-inositol may thus circumvent the 5-HT2C receptor blockade and combat the weight gain and associated metabolic disturbances commonly observed with atypical antipsychotics.

http://www.genomind....mple-Report.pdf

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

The 5-ht2c receptor down regulates from both agonism and antagonism. Therefore, even if you ignored autoreceptors, still it should possibly downregulate even more when exposed to both an agonist and antagonist

An example of this paradoxical event is already intergrated into medicine (although many doctors don't seem to understand it, in my experiance) where atypical antipsychotics, despite antagonizing the 5-ht2c receptor results in more down regulation then with just a ssri alone. This is also why an atypical antipsychotic + an ssri can starting working in 2-3 weeks vs ssris as a monotherapy taking 6-8 weeks. This is documented very well to the point where it is fda approved in people who don't fully respond to ssri monotherapy.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Well, nobody knows how SSRIs work, but there is a hypothesis that they may work precisely by desensitizing certain 5HT receptors. This may be one reason why they don't work right away.
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#5 the_apollo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Well, nobody knows how SSRIs work, but there is a hypothesis that they may work precisely by desensitizing certain 5HT receptors. This may be one reason why they don't work right away.

False. It is known just about how the basics of SSRI is.

Mechanism of action of serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors. Serotonin receptors and pathways mediate therapeutic effects and side effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10333979

But you are half right there, the reason why SSRIs take time to start work is because they have a agonist-preference for the 5HT1A autoreceptor which desensitize in response to agonists (in this case SSRIs).
  • like x 1

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Well, the amine hypotheses for how SSRIs were thought to work against depression were pretty much known to be contradicted by experimental data already by the 80s if not earlier, and are not taken seriously by many researchers today. SSRIs continued to be marketed with a false story for how they supposedly work until the 00s in the U.S., though, when the FDA finally put a stop to that practice. The myths regarding their functioning are now so deeply embedded in the public consciousness, though, that they will probably not die in our lifetimes.

Edited by nowayout, 20 February 2014 - 05:39 PM.

• dislike x 1

#7 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Well, technically a antagonism or agnoism of the 5-ht subscribbt 2a and 2c are capable of unducing downregulation capable of increase norepinephrine and dopamine release in some parts of the brain and reducing some of the overexpression of receptors in autopsied brains of people who commit suicide although correlation does not equal causation. But, at the very very least, provide neurogenesis in a albiet far from my personal opinion most ideal way.

#8 the_apollo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Well, the amine hypotheses for how SSRIs were thought to work against depression were pretty much known to be contradicted by experimental data already by the 80s if not earlier, and are not taken seriously by many researchers today. SSRIs continued to be marketed with a false story for how they supposedly work until the 00s in the U.S., though, when the FDA finally put a stop to that practice. The myths regarding their functioning are now so deeply embedded in the public consciousness, though, that they will probably not die in our lifetimes.

Is that a real fact or just your take on SSRIs?
Since there are research and tests being done on SSRIs that support their original serotonin function, but no "fact" as to them being something else.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#9 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Is that a real fact or just your take on SSRIs?
Since there are research and tests being done on SSRIs that support their original serotonin function, but no "fact" as to them being something else.

Well, if so then this would certainly be news to the FDA.
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#10 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Initially when I took myo-Inositol there was a noticeable anti-depressant effect, however after a while, this effect slowly faded and I was left very irritable with some minor anxiety. I have also experienced some very minor hallucinations while using Inositol. These have mostly consisted of static textures like stucco or carpet appearing to move and pulse slightly. In the past I have experimented with psilocybin as well as LSD so these hallucinations were very familiar. Each time I used one of these psychedelics I had these same minor hallucinations that tapered off for a week afterwards. I must stress that these are EXTREMELY minor, have no effect on my functioning well being, and occur sporadically and infrequently. Since I know that psychedlics work on the 5-HT2a receptor in the brain (a serotonin receptor), I am assuming that my experience is a testament to the serotonergic properties of Inositol. Also irritability and anxiety are directly linked to excess serotonin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ssri, inositol, desensitization, serotonin receptors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users