• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Reputation System Harming Participation?

reputation site loss luminosity new system

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

The new feedback system just got worse because now comments are anonymous.  Less accountability.

It was a better feedback system years ago when to comment on a post you had decide to post a reply or comment under your own name and to write the comments in your own words.  That made you accountable.  If you were intoxicated or unwell, it might be discerned from your post.  People had to stop and think if it was worth it to antagonize someone or ruin their day by giving negative feedback.  Now they don't.

So far all of the negative comments my posts have received under the new system have been unhelpful and upsetting.  None of them had merit, in my opinion.  

Check out this blog post which garnered four times more views than usual, and a number of positive comments.  I'm a published writer.  The new feedback system was used to tell me that they "disliked" my personal post about a lost love.  There's really no reason to dislike this post. Maybe jealousy, or if they just don't like me.      

http://www.longecity...t-have-done-it/

Under the old system, we could remove comments from out blogs.  We can't remove the new ones.  

Edited by Luminosity, 24 July 2014 - 04:59 AM.

• Agree x 1

#32 Dakman

• 271 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

So are you not so subtlety asserting that people that give you bad rep are intoxicated or unwell.

Lol
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#33 YOLF

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

The new feedback system just got worse because now comments are anonymous.  Less accountability.

It was a better feedback system years ago when to comment on a post you had decide to post a reply or comment under your own name and to write the comments in your own words.  That made you accountable.  If you were intoxicated or unwell, it might be discerned from your post.  People had to stop and think if it was worth it to antagonize someone or ruin their day by giving negative feedback.  Now they don't.

So far all of the negative comments my posts have received under the new system have been unhelpful and upsetting.  None of them had merit, in my opinion.  

Check out this blog post which garnered four times more views than usual, and a number of positive comments.  I'm a published writer.  The new feedback system was used to tell me that they "disliked" my personal post about a lost love.  There's really no reason to dislike this post. Maybe jealousy, or if they just don't like me.      

Under the old system, we could remove comments from out blogs.  We can't remove the new ones.  

You can change the settings of your blog to allow you to moderate comments.

http://www.longecity...ings&blogid=133

#34 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

The reputation systems here are way too complicated.  I am a frequent user with a high I.Q., I have never understood one of them.  The systems since Broken Portal left have been heavily abused.  Negative feedback goes to women who speak up, and anyone who questions substance abuse.  Drug company and government shills who come here with agendas use our systems to mess with people.  A pro-rape post just drew one like and one dislike.  I don't know how much less legitimate a system can be.  

Right now feedback is anonymous so people can crap on you anonymously.  This isn't going anywhere good.  We keep losing people.  There has been much more turnover since Broken Portal left.

When I've tried to bring up concerns about this, Caliban has disappeared my posts three or four times.  I thought this place was so into free speech.    

• Needs references x 2
  • Agree x 1

#35 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Does that apply to this situation?  

Is there really a legitimate reason why strangers need to let me know they dislike my personal blog posts or find them badly researched?  

#36 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Is there really a legitimate reason why strangers need to let me know they dislike my personal blog posts or find them badly researched?  

If they're on the internet, people will comment.  You're putting posts out there for people to read, so there's a bit of an implied promise that it's worth reading.  If you let them down, maybe that makes them feel cheated, like that was three minutes of their life that they'll never get back again.

• Good Point x 1

#37 YOLF

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Can you tell us about those who are leaving? I've only seen positive indicators which I've detailed to you in other posts. 

As for the rest of it, you'll need to provide references and links as the post feedback suggests (I didn't rate it) and if it's contested, you'll need to explain it so that everyone understands. At that point we'll be happy to take action for you. But I haven't seen a single report.

You frequently hide behind ambiguity and take every chance it seems to harm our forum. If anything, your unsubstantiated claims and fear mongering are driving people away. Show us the posts in question by using the reporting system or we're going to start giving you warning points and suspending your ability to post. It's using up volunteer resources unnecessarily and harming our image.

You're never satisfied with any system we have and we've merged your threads from previous unsubstantiated claims. 

What are you here for? You're not here for RLE.

• Unfriendly x 1

#38 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

Really?

My criticism is legitimate.  Going off on me is not going to solve the problems.

At least 90% of the posts here are not about life extension or cryonics, and most of the posters are here for other reasons.  If you want us to go, just give us six months notice so we can form an alternative site and exchange contact information.  

This site is dying.  You can accelerate that if you continue on your current course of action.  

Edited by Luminosity, 27 July 2014 - 04:44 AM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#39 YOLF

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

Does that apply to this situation?  

Yes, if your blogs are poorly researched, and someone doesn't feel that you've accurately represented the facts for discussion, then yes, they should let others know. If people think it is well researched, they'll let you know that too. You have to substantiate your claims for discussion here. Think of this site as a peer review journal and treat it as such.

#40 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

I said personal blog post.  Like this one:  

#41 YOLF

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

Sent a PM.

#42 Dakman

• 271 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

Would someone give her a cuddle so she can move on with her life...
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#43 Dakman

• 271 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

The only "us" is you and your imagination.

Lol
  • Unfriendly x 2

#44 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Peer-review systems should be anonymous. Are any of the possible feedbacks anonymous, or is everything visible to the original poster? 

#45 YOLF

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

The nuanced post feedback system is annonymous. Only moderators can see who is voting on what if and when they have reason to look into it.

#46 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

The nuanced post feedback system is annonymous. Only moderators can see who is voting on what if and when they have reason to look into it.

I can't see it as far as I'm aware.  I thought only people with admin access could see who votes on what.  I have on occasion asked an admin about votes in order to investigate complaints of abuse of the system, but that hasn't happened in a long time.

#47 YOLF

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Oh, I thought it was something they had in the works, but I suppose it could be an Admin only feature. Until now, I just thought we didn't have it worked out yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reputation, site loss, luminosity, new system

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users