- - - - -

Methylation Supplements, Mutations, and How to Approach

methylation mutations lyme mthfr snp genes homozygous heterozygous comt vdr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acrosstheveil

• 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

I have had lyme for a long time now and recently began to address methylation. I have been on several supplements for this including methylcobalamin, tmg, methylfolate, b12, and p5p. I recently ran my genetic info through genetic genie and gave me some information but I'm not sure exactly what they mean.

I've been reading about the different genes and I understand some of it but I am still not sure what supplements I need to add or remove (the part that really matters!).

Here is some basic info on my genetics:

Homozygous mutations: VDR Taq, MAO A R297R, MTRR A664A

Heterozygous mutations: COMT V158M, COMT H62H, ACAT1-02, MTHFR C677T, MTHFR 03 P39P, MTHFR A1298C, MTR A2756G, CBS C699T, CBS A360A

I guess I'd like to start with the homozygous mutations as those are probably more critical to healing. Are there any particular supplements I should be focusing on with this new information?

I know this is a lot of confusing stuff, but I would really appreciate anyone's input on the matter. Thanks.

#2 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

You should try posting over at forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php. They're excellent with this kind of thing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jimmerjammer

• 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't have Lyme(I don't think anyway...)- but I am "fixing" my methylation system also... I tested at 23andme- and have had much help at the Phoenixrising
forums also.
As far as energy, memory, brainfog, etc.. I"m now at a 8-9 out of 10. Where usually, I'm on a rollercoaster anywhere from as low as a 5....

In addition to what you will learn---- I recommend trying increased molybdenum(for sulfur issues caused by your COMT mutations). You can buy sullfate test strips to monitor your urine sulfur levels. Also give Yucca Root a try(to help with Ammonia issues). Both are basically safe and easy to trial.
These have been amazing after i got the other mutations addressed.... (basically one system can "overload" another system if mutation issues are not addressed. Basically- you feel good for a week- then the next weakest link becomes the problem- where its difficult for you to tell that you actually are "fixing" things and making progress...

Sorry, I"m rambling- at phoenixrising (along with general learning)- you can post your genetic results and some awesome people wll critique them for you;
http://forums.phoeni...ng-and-snps.12/

Also:
http://www.heartfixe...igenomics.htm ===== very good descriptions of many methlation functions and how to address mutations
http://www.autismnti...o_Education.pdf ======= Dr. Amy Yasko is doing pioneering work with Autism- and finding some of it correlates with methylation defects.... (not everyone agrees with 100% of her work.... fyi)
http://drmyhill.co.u...thylation_Cycle

Also--- in addition to your methylation snps that were tested---- get your detox snp's deciphered also. These will provide some insight also...

I HIGHLY recommend keeping a daily journal tracking supplements and energy levels, etc... I believe in this- but have not always practiced it because I was "tired of being tired" and shotgunned supplements out of desparation---- which definitely caused some of the roller coaster I've been on...

enjoy!

Jimmy

#4 jimmerjammer

• 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

I recommend trying increased molybdenum(for sulfur issues caused by your COMT mutations).

- Sorry, I meant your CBS mutations...

Jimmy

#5 PeopleOverCorporateProfit

• 57 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

does methylation block endocannabinoid receptors? therefore turning off anti-cancer genes? should we avoid SAM-e then?

#6 jimmerjammer

• 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

People,

I dunno... I thought I had read somewhere (I have no sources)- that some cancers can be connected to undermethylation. But again, I only remember that, I'm not sure even if its true--- and if where I read was actually a science-based study...

Sorry for no info- no one replied... Maybe this bump will find someone who knows...

thanks,

Jimmy

#7 acrosstheveil

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

You should try posting over at forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php. They're excellent with this kind of thing.

yes, thank you! i have posted over there.

I don't have Lyme(I don't think anyway...)- but I am "fixing" my methylation system also... I tested at 23andme- and have had much help at the Phoenixrising
forums also.
As far as energy, memory, brainfog, etc.. I"m now at a 8-9 out of 10. Where usually, I'm on a rollercoaster anywhere from as low as a 5....

In addition to what you will learn---- I recommend trying increased molybdenum(for sulfur issues caused by your COMT mutations). You can buy sullfate test strips to monitor your urine sulfur levels. Also give Yucca Root a try(to help with Ammonia issues). Both are basically safe and easy to trial.
These have been amazing after i got the other mutations addressed.... (basically one system can "overload" another system if mutation issues are not addressed. Basically- you feel good for a week- then the next weakest link becomes the problem- where its difficult for you to tell that you actually are "fixing" things and making progress...

Sorry, I"m rambling- at phoenixrising (along with general learning)- you can post your genetic results and some awesome people wll critique them for you;
http://forums.phoeni...ng-and-snps.12/

Also:
http://www.heartfixe...igenomics.htm ===== very good descriptions of many methlation functions and how to address mutations
http://www.autismnti...f ======= Dr. Amy Yasko is doing pioneering work with Autism- and finding some of it correlates with methylation defects.... (not everyone agrees with 100% of her work.... fyi)
http://drmyhill.co.u...thylation_Cycle

Also--- in addition to your methylation snps that were tested---- get your detox snp's deciphered also. These will provide some insight also...

I HIGHLY recommend keeping a daily journal tracking supplements and energy levels, etc... I believe in this- but have not always practiced it because I was "tired of being tired" and shotgunned supplements out of desparation---- which definitely caused some of the roller coaster I've been on...

enjoy!

Jimmy

okay. I am taking 1mg a day of molybdenum picolinate. I had my snp's deciphered but it is still pretty confusing stuff. One thing that I do not know how to approach are low BH4 levels. I was thinking of trying DHEA and progesterone. any input on raising bh4? i'd like to avoid overdosing on methylfolate as that gives me bad anxiety.

does methylation block endocannabinoid receptors? therefore turning off anti-cancer genes? should we avoid SAM-e then?

i don't think methylation totally blocks endocannabionoid receptors....hemp seems to still have an effect on me...

i started taking r5p - about 90 mg a day and i have been feeling strange, very strange. I cannot tell if this is a herx or if i am feeding latent viruses or other pathogens. I have been feeling like i have the flu/strep for about a week now. I have had a high temperature, a cough, and an extremely sore throat. Could the r5p be killing part of the lyme that I have never been able to hit?

is r5p a missing piece of the puzzle or is it only going to make things worse? I went to the doc for the throat stuff and they gave me antibiotics. I"m taking amoxicillin until I can figure out if this is just ramping up the methylation cycle and causing a healing crisis or worse....

anyone else have experience with activated riboflavin and the methylation cycle?

Edited by acrosstheveil, 02 March 2014 - 11:12 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:00 PM

mutation always happen in double. Meaning if you get a mutation in a gene it will be twice as much or less. So if you avoid folate your dna will not make as much of the mutated dna

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: methylation, mutations, lyme, mthfr, snp, genes, homozygous, heterozygous, comt, vdr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users