• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Want to More Ability to Edit or Remove Your Content?

edit remove content

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

I wish this site would consistently allow us to remove our own content that has become outdated, inaccurate, or just regrettable. I also wish we had more time to edit and remove our own posts, preferably forever.

One of my threads in the Forum Issues section was just disappeared by this site. In the past I went through a lot asking the moderators to remove some of my content that was no longer accurate. I was worried that it would harm my relationship with a company that sold an important supplement. The company had corrected some problems with it. I wanted the outdated posts removed.

My outdated posts were made harder to find, ON THIS SITE, but you could still see them ON GOOGLE. This company had terminated their contract with their factory, moved to a factory in another state, and sent me a free case of supplements (over a dollar a pill) to rectify the problem I pointed out to them. Although they didn't ask, I thought they deserved to have the posts about the defective supplements removed. I happened to know that this company was very sensitive to their online reputation. I tried about six times to make that happen but I could not.

It makes you cautious about posting if it would be that hard to remove content you regretted. Supposedly everything on this site was like the Dead Sea Scrolls. To remove any part of it would disturb the historical record. People would find it too disorienting. As if all the drunken and incoherent postings weren't hard to follow anyway. On other sites people deal with missing content just fine.

My Forum Issues thread that just disappeared was part of an ongoing discussion about the reputation system. A number of people had posted on it. There is a link to it on another thread but that goes nowhere now. I'm not that upset that this thread disappeared, but I would appreciate it if we could consistently remove our own content when it has become a problem, just as you removed the thread that you felt would be a problem for you, in spite of leaving a hole in the discussion.

Did you ever say something you regretted? Sites tend to be nicer places if people can correct their mistakes.

Edited by Luminosity, 22 February 2014 - 06:32 AM.

#2 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

The reputation thread is still here, from what I see:

http://www.longecity...-participation/

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

On the matter of ability to edit older, outdated posts I think it should be left to leadership as it currently is, in order to preserve thread continuity and even the evolution of understanding on certain topics. Though anyone can ask a leader to edit older content - especially if there is identifiable information and a person prefers to be anonymous, or information that should be corrected because it could be dangerous for someone to take it seriously. More importantly long time posters who wish to edit their past posts can apply to participate in membership themselves as editors or otherwise.

#4 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Trance, the thread that is gone was called, Check Your Reputation. Thanks for responding Shannon.

I did ask them to edit content that was identifiable to some parties. The info was no longer accurate, and was injurious to the reputation of a company whose medicines I depended on. They would not remove it, just made it less viewable from within the site. You could still find it easily on Google, which the subject did. It's news to me that long time posters can become editors. Can I do that just to my own posts? I have tried to become an administrator many times but someone or someones seem to not want me to be.

Continuity didn't stop whoever it was that disappeared my thread. I don't think our content is that critical if it injures or distresses the poster.

Edited by Luminosity, 25 February 2014 - 06:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users