Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

canine genetics help humanity?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wolfmoon

• 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:45 PM

I'm excited by the prospect of working with Eitan Rubin PhD Head of Bioinformatics over at Harvard and thought I'd share what's going on with you guys! Most of you don't know me (I'm pretty new here) but I've been involved with a group working in canine genetics for some time now. Longer lived humans need longer lived four legged companions. [tung]

At any rate, we've been keeping genetic databases for some years on our breed of all diseases and disorders, mental issues, emotional imbalances, modes of inheritance, frequency of occurance, coefficient of inbreeding, breed averages, etc. in a pool of canines numbering in the thousands. Though our initial goal was to educate the breeder - our data (and subjects) has proven exceedingly useful to many university studies and we are always happy to help them out. Recently we are participating in the MDR1 study with UC Davis, a fecal IGA deficiency study being done by Texas A&M, and behavior studies with University of California, San Francisco and the University of Pennsylvania.

The proposal from Harvard starts with scoring disease co-occurrence and later translates our database(s) to SNOMED codes to link them to human disease.

In a generic nutshell, in canines the information can be obtained on family groups in much shorter generations. Eventually it is hoped that if they can map the diseases shared by canines and humans (and there are an amazing amount) in our dogs, they will be able to predict the diseases that will occur in humans.

What a wonderful opportunity! Improving the health and genetics of our four legged friends now may help improve our health and genetics in ways we hadn't counted on.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Funny how things come around and impact other things. What you thought you were working on today suddenly can take on a whole new light tomorrow. Cheers. :)

#2 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:24 AM

The concept of a for-profit pet life-extension enterprise has been around for a while. The idea is of course to develop the therapies in animals in the first place, and then generate a stream of income to support the much more troublesome human clinical trials. Furthermore, we think the impact on pro-life extension attitudes when your pets start to profit from SENS therapies may be considerable. Genetic savings and clone is showing the way.

Particularly in the nearer future, a medical bioremediation project might profit from your canine disease database. Medical bioremediation, as can be seen from the paper is supposed to targed suspected age-related storage diseases, most prominently atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's and age-related macular degeneration. So my question to you is obviously: How frequently do dogs get these diseases? Do you think the idea is commercially viable as it stands?

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wolfmoon

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:13 AM

How frequently do dogs get these diseases?

Hi John,

Age related illness in the canine is very close to what it is in the human. Yes, dogs get Alzheimer's, but it's called CDS (Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome). It can be difficult to draw parallels if you aren't familiar with the canine name of the human disorder. Sometimes they carry different names, sometimes the disorder carries the same name.

Our canine companions have a large array of the same illnesses that we deal with. From varieties of cancer to diabetes to Lupus, Addison's and Cushing's. Most people don't realize the tremendous scope of canine disease and how close it is to our own. Even the mode of inheritance is typically the same.

Particularly in the nearer future, a medical bioremediation project might profit from your canine disease database.

Definitely. We're always happy to share our information and subjects for study.

The concept of a for-profit pet life-extension enterprise has been around for a while. The idea is of course to develop the therapies in animals in the first place, and then generate a stream of income to support the much more troublesome human clinical trials.

There is a market for it, however, I would say the market is modest in size. I personally know individuals that have spent over $40,000 in one year on a dog to extend their life and improve their health level. I have heard of people spending close to a million on high-end procedures and their follow-up therapies. Canine treatments now go from the realm of herbal and chiropractic treatments all the way to bone marrow and organ transplants.

The market is there in your wealthy (and if not wealthy, exceedingly comfortable) animal lover. Paris Hilton would probably spend ridiculous amounts on her chihuahua, Tinkerbell, for example. [wis]

#4 John Schloendorn

• 2,542 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:10 AM

Thanks, Wolf, for the info! I'm still thinking the pet life-extension plan is pretty insane, but I'm slowly getting used to it... Do you have specifics about atherosclerosis or age-related macular degeneration at hand? Or any quantitative info on incidence and cause of mortality, including CDS?

Bone-marrow transplants sounds also encouraging for experimental stem cell treatments. I'm formulating a phd project on hematopoietic system rejuvenation (an almost shamefully early draft discussed here) in mice, and I'm beginning to discover that mouse and human aging is relevantly dissimilar, in the blood and lymph cells as elsewhere. I'm very interested in alternative models and will gratefully absorb any info you have on dogs [sfty]

I have a few specific questions here relating to the suitability of dogs for my project, but if you don't know by heart, never mind... (If you do know that something is not known, please let me know, too :))
- Is the canine hematopoietic system essentially immortal (like mouse) or mortal (like probably human) (To what degree is this question decided...?)
- Do we get T-cell CD28 extinction in dogs (typical human aging feature)?
- Is the dog telomere length / telomerase activity similar to mouse (both high) or to human (both low)?

#5 wolfmoon

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

Below are a few abstracts. Does any of this help you, John? You're pretty out of my league with your questions, but I'm trying to keep up. [tung] Push come to shove I can pick the brain of our staff geneticist and attain more specific answers for you. Let me know.

Immune phenotype of canine hematopoietic progenitor cells.

Neuner E, Schumm M, Schneider EM, Guenther W, Ellwart J, Kremmer E, Vogl C, Buettner M, Thierfelder S, Kolb HJ.

Institut fur Immunologie, GSF-Forschungszentrum fur Umwelt und Gesundheit, Munich, Germany.

The immune phenotype of canine hematopoietic progenitor cells was studied by immunoseparation and culturing of separated cells. Two separation methods were used, the magnetic cell sorting system (MACS) and the fluorescence activated cell sorter (FACS). For separation rat anti dog antibodies Dog 13 and Dog 14 directed against Thy-1, and Dog 26 as well as cross-reactive mouse anti human antibodies IOT2a and 7.2 directed against MHC class II were used. Separated cell populations were cultured in semisolid agar before and after long-term culture on a pre-established irradiated stromal cell layer. After 28 days, adherent and nonadherent cells were harvested from long-term culture. The MACS system allowed separation of cells into positive and negative fractions. Long-term culture-initiating cells (LTC-IC) were found in both the Thy-1+ and the Thy-1- fraction, but the content of LTC-IC was higher in the Thy-1+ fraction. The MACS system did not allow separation of progenitor cells according to the expression of MHC class II antigen detected by Dog 26 and the cross-reactive antibodies IOT2a and 7.2. In contrast to the MACS system the FACS allowed separation of negative, low-positive and high-positive cell populations. Low-positive fractions were well defined for Thy-1 and less well defined for MHC class II. CFU before and after long-term culture were exclusively observed in the low positive fraction (Thy-1(lo+)). Using MHC class II antibody Dog 26 LTC-IC were found mainly in the negative and low positive fraction, and CFU were observed mainly in the low and high positive fraction. In conclusion pluripotent canine hematopoietic precursor cells are low positive for Thy-1 and for MHC class II. In this respect canine hematopoietic progenitor cells are comparable to those of mouse and man.

Molecular cloning and sequencing of canine T-cell costimulatory molecule (CD28).

Khatlani TS, Ma Z, Okuda M, Onishi T.

Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, 1677-1 Yoshida, Yamagughi 753-8515, Japan.

T-cells express CD28 and CTLA-4, and through binding to their shared ligands (CD80/CD86) on antigen presenting cells, provide a potent co-stimulatory signal for T-cell activation and proliferation. To investigate the role of CD28 in canine immune system, we hereby report the molecular cloning and sequencing of the full-length complementary DNA (cDNA) coding for canine CD28, from pokeweed mitogen stimulated canine peripheral blood lymphocytes. The cloned cDNA contains an open reading frame of 663 nucleotides, encoding for a polypeptide of 221 amino acids. The amino acid sequence of the canine CD28 showed 91.9, 80, and 79.6% similarities with those of the cat, cattle, and human counterparts, respectively. Five sequence motifs of TATT or ATTTA involved in the regulation of gene expression by influencing mRNA stability are found in the 3' untranslated region. The hexapeptide motif (MYPPPY), five cysteine residues, a potential N-glycosylation site and a cytoplasmic phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase binding site in canine CD28 molecule are completely conserved in canine CTLA-4. The availability of full length canine CD28 will provide a useful molecule for studying its role in dog immune system.

Telomere lengths and telomerase activity in dog tissues: a potential model system to study human telomere and telomerase biology.

Nasir L, Devlin P, Mckevitt T, Rutteman G, Argyle DJ.

Department of Veterinary Clinical Studies, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Bearsden Road, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK. gvma11@udcf.gla.ac.uk

Studies on telomere and telomerase biology are fundamental to the understanding of aging and age-related diseases such as cancer. However, human studies have been hindered by differences in telomere biology between humans and the classical murine animal model system. In this paper, we describe basic studies of telomere length and telomerase activity in canine normal and neoplastic tissues and propose the dog as an alternative model system. Briefly, telomere lengths were measured in normal canine peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), a range of normal canine tissues, and in a panel of naturally occurring soft tissue tumours by terminal restriction fragment (TRF) analysis. Further, telomerase activity was measured in canine cell lines and multiple canine tissues using a combined polymerase chain reaction/enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay method. TRF analysis in canine PBMCs and tissues demonstrated mean TRF lengths to range between 12 and 23 kbp with heterogeneity in telomere lengths being observed in a range of normal somatic tissues. In soft tissue sarcomas, two subgroups were identified with mean TRFs of 22.2 and 18.2 kbp. Telomerase activity in canine tissue was present in tumour tissue and testis with little or no activity in normal somatic tissues. These results suggest that the dog telomere biology is similar to that in humans and may represent an alternative model system for studying telomere biology and telomerase-targeted anticancer therapies.

#6 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for chiming in Wolfmoon and joining our community. I suspect this will be a highly productive relationship for us all.

You might want to include links when you give abstracts as that makes it faster to follow up. Links post as active as long as you don't disable them with text or punctuation.

#7 wolfmoon

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, Laz. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....0&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm....4&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm....5&dopt=Abstract

http://www.nutrition...ull/132/6/1604S

I'm not sure if the links for the first three will work for the whole article unless you are registered with Medline.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 John Schloendorn

• 2,542 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:29 AM

Many thanks Wolfmoon,
these papers provide a good starting point for future research into my immune aging questions, and my telomere question has been answered satisfactorily and favorably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users