• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Which religious/non-relig. identity do you prefer?

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

Poll: Which religious/non-relig. identity do you prefer? (614 member(s) have cast votes)

Which religious/non-relig. identity do you prefer?

1. Christian (62 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

2. Jewish (19 votes [3.19%])

Percentage of vote: 3.19%

3. Muslim (10 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

4. Buddhist (31 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

5. Hindu (5 votes [0.84%])

Percentage of vote: 0.84%

6. Pagan (17 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

7. Secular humanist (42 votes [7.06%])

Percentage of vote: 7.06%

8. Atheist (199 votes [33.45%])

Percentage of vote: 33.45%

9. Agnostic (102 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

10. Other (108 votes [18.15%])

Percentage of vote: 18.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

If there was a god, I would be Hindu ;)

#272 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

I like the term secular humanist. It sounds optimistic and empathic and furthermore means that you have some respect for rational thinking, I mean it's technically possible to be an atheist and believe in Santa and fairies.
Before that I called myself an atheist.
Before that I called myself an agnostic, but that was mainly because I confused atheism ("I don't believe in god") with strong atheism ("There is no god"), an all too common mistake which still haunts many atheists.

#273 DeafImmortalGirl

• 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

I am a christian but a very open minded one. I do believe in God but however I don't go to church due to the judgement of people at me. I believe that God created scientists to do research on everything and yes that includes cryonics!
  • like x 1

#274 Tresmius

• 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

Atheist and not because my whole family are Catholics!

Spoiler

Edited by Tresmius, 30 August 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#275 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

I am a Christian and it is interesting that there are another 40 or so that identify themselves this way. I wasn’t always a Christian but grew up with atheist parents and considered myself an atheist. Until... well I said, “God, if there is a God, I put my little tiny faith in You.” My life slowly changed and my faith grew. I find belief in God intellectually fulfilling and challenging. I hardly recognize many of the characterizations I find of Christianity made by others in here. :)

#276 ChromodynamicGirl

• 134 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Well, all religions are impossible nonsense, so that rules them out.
Secular humanists are a bunch of Progressive pro-democracy sorts, so no thanks.
Most people who call themselves 'atheists' are more or less exactly like secular humanists, and their typical feature is a moronic animus against religion where they want to blame it for an impossibly wide scope of things. This is because Progressives are an alternate Christian church, it is a doctrinal dispute.
Agnostic isn't even an alternative to theism/atheism, since it is an epistemic position and not an ontological one; an agnostic is either a theist or an atheist. It's also wrong.
So, in all, I would say that if I have to describe it I would choose something rather more accurate and obscure. Aristotilian and Wittgenstenian amoral material determinist.

#277 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

Well, all religions are impossible nonsense, so that rules them out.
Secular humanists are a bunch of Progressive pro-democracy sorts, so no thanks.
Most people who call themselves 'atheists' are more or less exactly like secular humanists, and their typical feature is a moronic animus against religion where they want to blame it for an impossibly wide scope of things. This is because Progressives are an alternate Christian church, it is a doctrinal dispute.
Agnostic isn't even an alternative to theism/atheism, since it is an epistemic position and not an ontological one; an agnostic is either a theist or an atheist. It's also wrong.
So, in all, I would say that if I have to describe it I would choose something rather more accurate and obscure. Aristotilian and Wittgenstenian amoral material determinist.

You are also a little butt, but that is why you are so charming, ;)
  • like x 1

#278 Mishael

• 139 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

I think there are two distinctions. They are those who follow the commandments of men and those who follow the commandments of God. Some think God a fairytale but the fact is God has been around longer than they and their opinion will die with them.

#279 i!i

• 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:31 AM

I choose Christian. I would have chose Spiritual:Christian or even Christian Mysticism. Really though, I am a bit of everything under this Sun which is constantly being updated. I do reconfigure myself sometimes to suit with the moments I'm brought. Every day anew.
Walter Bishop said it best: "..the brain and the mind are capable of so much, that the brain is consciousness, THE MIND IS GOD!"
That was by far a historical and greatly hysterical emulation of portraying the awareness one can find. Not just with the use of chemical compounds but with the use of guided meditation, self-hypnosis, visualization exercises 7 hypnosis. I am an avid believer of mind control: controlling one's own mind. As we so many allow others to do it for us, trick is to only allow the good influences.

#280 cranquar

• 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

I am a Christian, in the sense that I have come to witness the truth of God's power in my life by way of studying the Holy Bible, and by way of following it's instructions. I have witnessed miracle's that some may discount as coincidental, chance, or a theory of probability, but they are very real to me. I have learned that what we believe without doubt, and say, we come to experience. Therefore each person's chosen strong beliefs are made manifest for him/her to experience. Thus I embrace the beliefs of all as being true unto their life experiences.

Nevertheless, I must admit that my independent study of scriptures, outside of denominational led guidance; allowed me to see the messages that call us to "take hold of eternal life," "put on immortality," and "destroy the enemy death," because "God takes no pleasure in him that dies," thus we are to "not die, but live and declare the works of the Lord."

I am still waiting to hear that the christian churches begin to implement these teachings in their services. In the meantime, if any are interested in the scriptural guidance toward immortality, please feel free to visit at no cost eternallifegodsgift.webs.com/ It is a scripturally guided study of The Ways of Eternal Life.

I'm hungry to do the works of Christ, see the resurrection of the dead, and see the end of death on Earth!

Cynthia ( BTW, I hope I did not break any rules listing the site above...sometimes I forget who's rules apply where:)
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#281 sixfootbrit

• 24 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:05 AM

Zazen practicing Secular Humanist. Strong empirical streak.

#282 informaj

• 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

I am an ECKist, a member of ECKANKAR, because it enables me to get my own answers to questions I have/have had beyond the abilities of the mundane and limited mental apparatus. For me, it is the difference between being a spectator and a participant in the spiritual life.

#283 Technoearthling

• 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

'Other'...mostly agnostic atheist.
Everything can be explained through the study of the natural sciences and through technology to analyze data and delve deeper into things than our senses would be able to see or grasp. Hence, whatever is 'unknown' just has not been explored yet.
Whether there is a 'creative' force in the universe I call it simply energy. It fuels our processes and all processes as far as we are concerned. Whether it has a 'consciousness' is another matter altogether. Hence,I am not concerned as to whether it...whatever 'it' is has a name or wishes to reach out to me. I go by whatever data my senses and my experience provide me with. It's ultimately all about learning.

#284 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

http://atheistempire...es.php?author=8

#285 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

jedi :)
  • like x 1

#286 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

This is religious discrimination. You didn't put my religion. Mormon and Scientology.

#287 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

Wheres Baha'i choice>????????FTW

#288 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

Atheist.

I've never heard a coherent definition for what a 'god' is. Religion is a non-answer for people who lack the curiosity or intelligence to seek out scientific explanations of the natural world.
  • like x 1

#289 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

My religiion is rationality, clear thought, and the sanctity of life.

I guess if I HAD to choose, I would be a pastafarian.

#290 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:52 PM

Atheism isn't a religion. It is an anti-religion. So it shouldn't be on the list. But for the record I chose buddhism because it doesn't beat you over the head with forced notions. It simply encourages you to open your mind to nature/the cosmic order. Another thing, most buddhists I speak to do not reject science like a lot of christians do, so it isn't an either/or proposition.

The best work of buddhism I have read is the tao te ching (preferably the Goddard translation) which is essentially a collection of poems that are like meditations on life, spoken in a Taoist slant. It always seems to impart some sense of peace in me to read and reflect on these. There is an app in the android market that has this book for free, all the different translations included.

To me buddhism is closer to mythology than it is to religion. But it's mythology you can easily apply to every day living situations and to help bring balance and harmony into your mental sphere.

Edited by TheFountain, 04 August 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#291 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

The best work of buddhism I have read is the tao te ching (preferably the Goddard translation) which is essentially a collection of poems that are like meditations on life, spoken in a Taoist slant. It always seems to impart some sense of peace in me to read and reflect on these. There is an app in the android market that has this book for free, all the different translations included.

The Tao De Ching is a Taoist text. Buddhism is from India; Taoism is from China.

#292 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

The Tao De Ching is a Taoist text. Buddhism is from India; Taoism is from China.

Religions cross borders all the time and a religion can even borrow a whole book - like, Tao Te Ching. In fact, chinese Buddhists use Tao Te Ching.

Writing about Tao te Ching in Wikipedia

The text is fundamental to the Philosophical Taoism (Daojia (Pinyin: Dàojiā) 道家) and strongly influenced other schools, such as Legalism and Neo-Confucianism. This ancient book is also central in Chinese religion, not only for Religious Daoism (Daojiao (Pinyin: Dàojiào) 道教) but Chinese Buddhism, which when first introduced into China was largely interpreted through the use of Daoist words and concepts.

#293 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:58 AM

Religions cross borders all the time and a religion can even borrow a whole book - like, Tao Te Ching. In fact, chinese Buddhists use Tao Te Ching.

Writing about Tao te Ching in Wikipedia

The text is fundamental to the Philosophical Taoism (Daojia (Pinyin: Dàojiā) 道家) and strongly influenced other schools, such as Legalism and Neo-Confucianism. This ancient book is also central in Chinese religion, not only for Religious Daoism (Daojiao (Pinyin: Dàojiào) 道教) but Chinese Buddhism, which when first introduced into China was largely interpreted through the use of Daoist words and concepts.

Having lived and studied in Asia I'm aware of the impact Taosim (and Confucianism) had on Buddhism when it was translated over to China, Japan, and so on. But the poster's statement that the Tao De Ching was a "Buddhist work" which had a "Taoist slant" indicates that he has some fundamental confusion regarding the nature and origin of these two religions. Actually the Tao De Ching is not just a Taoist text, it is the Taoist text, being ascribed, Lao Tzu, the founder of Taoism. As far as Chinese Buddhists using the Tao De Ching, that is not very accurate. Historically Taoism had an influence on Chinese Buddhism, as did Confucianism and other aspects of Chinese culture. But I think it would be extremely unusual to see Chinese Buddhists at a temple chanting from a Taoist text; the sutras that they chant and study are Buddhist; the mantras that they chant are Chinese transliteration of Sanskrit (or maybe Pali) mantras.
  • like x 1

#294 Jaeson Booker

• 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:29 AM

This is one of the few times 'Atheist' is the highest-voted on one of these polls. I am an anti-theist/atheist.

#295 Designer Evolution

• 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

Im an atheist but due to harsh criticism from friends and family i do just call myself an agnostic. Some day ill show my true colors but until that time no thank you critics.

#296 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Nietzschean / Satanist :D

#297 TheKidInside

• 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

Judaism
  • like x 1

#298 steampoweredgod

• 409 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

Nietzschean / Satanist :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgartyq-PUo&feature=player_embedded

Intriguing choice, and quite a beautiful video.

Regards evil, true evil exists in the wired. The idea at least.

But it is clear that governments would intervene in evil groups associating over the web.

Worshipping the web is also idolatry, and likely evil.

Irregardless endless material pleasure emerges from the technologically manipulated material plane of existence.

Edited by steampoweredgod, 25 March 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#299 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

Satanism is not "evil". Satanism is about trusting yourself rather than believing in some external god.

Edited by hivemind, 25 March 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#300 steampoweredgod

• 409 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Satanism is not "evil". Satanism is about trusting yourself rather than believing in some external god.

But if taken to an extreme, could such not be viewed as evil? After all one may be refusing the aid or assistance of others, which may deprivei some of purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users