- - - - -

Nootropics & HPA DYSREGULATION

nootropic piracetam noopept hpa dysregulation hpa axis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shakespear

• 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'm hoping that by presenting my case to neuro/biochem enthusiasts I'll be able to get a deeper insight than what I've gathered from the medical community.

Before all this happened I considered myself a normal 24 year old with a normal life-style. I worked hard, ate healthy, and engaged in some sort of sport every second day. I did always have a passion for experimenting with new recreational substances, but always tried to be respectful and cautious.

In my first couple of years at university I'd take Tramadol around once a week (150mg) simply because I enjoyed the relaxing sensation. This lasted until around my last year of university when I discovered Phenibut. I quickly learned about the addiction/withdrawal issues related to this chemical compound so I spaced out my experiences and would rarely take it more than 250mg maximum twice a week.

When I finished my studies I was first introduced to the racetams, I started with aniracetam and Alpha GPC and saw little effects (never taking more than the recommended doses for each). After three weeks on this combo I decided to drop the aniracetam and saw that just from Alpha GPC I'd get very noticable effects. My mental and physical abilities were superior, and it made me look younger and healthier than I remember looking. My hair looked thicker, my face had brighter stronger color and I had more energy and higher libido. Very impressed, but at some point I had to discontinue Alpha GPC since a subtle feeling of anxiety/nervousness started to creep in (cortisol/NE?). 

After this I looked to achieve the same effect from CDP choline. Although I did get exactly the same results (more energy, better hair, face color, libido, no eye-bags) as soon as I started experiencing the exact same background anxiety as on Alpha GPC so I was forced to discontinue this aswell as it significantly impaired my social abilities. From there on I set off to search for another nootropic and this is when I came across noopept. Love at first sight. Noopept made me a happier, smarter more sociable and charismatic person. I continued dosing it on its own (15mg on mornings) for around a month. While on noopept I had the motivation and zest for life that I had been looking for to carry out all the long-term projects I had planned for myself. It's important to mention that while on noopept there were some days where I still tried phenibut and on a two seperate ocassions Inderall.

Towards the end of my love affair with noopept I started experiencing a host of several symptoms. The first symptom came up one afternoon with my girlfriend, where I experienced erectile dysfunction and in the next weeks I started to experience a host of other very alarming symptoms, including:

-Lack of circulation to my hands and feet
-Itchy back
-Digestion problems to the point of constipation
-Easy bloating
-Lack of motivation
-Impaired ability to think and speak  (brain fog)
-Pale face, bad hair, bags under eyes - generally looking much older
-Complete loss of libido, loss of feeling, and ability to achieve and maintain an erection.
-Susceptible to flu’s and infections and difficulty healing
-Loss of muscle
-Inability to do sports

This alarmed me to cease all nootropic and supplement use. given some of the symptoms initially I was convinced it was a kidney problem. But after a medical check up this theory was dismissed. I gave myself a month to see if everything would return to normalcy on it's own - but unfortunately that didn't happen. Some of the findings I gathered during that month:- If I would try taking noopept or piracetam (tried once) I would still feel great effects from it. But my body would shut down its ability to achieve an erection. I would lose all feeling and sensitivity down there. As if my body lost it's ability to relax in that sense. I would also feel discomfort on my lower back where my adrenals/kidneys are located.- Any type of sports would make me too fatigued and looking tired and worn out instead of energized.- sensitive to all chemicals or supplements even coffee makes me shaky and anxious (NE effect?)- Adaptogen herbs stimulate me way too much (they give me crazy libido but right after it goes back to normal) and I’m left with a‘hangover effect’

Determined to find a solutions, the next step was to visit an endocrinologist who ran a couple of tests, rendering the 
following results:

Cortisol A.M :

241 nmol/l   (171-536)
87ng/ml      (62-194)

Free T4

15.46  pmol/l     (12-22)
1.21 ng/dl          (0.94-1.72)

TSH  

2.50 microUL/ml (0.27 -4.20)

LH

6 mUI/ml (1.7 - 8.6 )

Prolactin

12 ng/ml (4-15)
254 microUI/ml (85-318)

Testosterone

6.47 ng/ml (2.49 - 8.36)
22.45 nmol/l (8.64 - 29.00)

C-reactive protein

<3.0    (<5.0)

The conclusion taken from the tests where that I was deficient in Vitamin D and both my AM cortisol and Testosterone were too low considering my demographic. From there I was put on vitamin D to correct my deficiency and daily dose of 50mg DHEA to try and support my hormone levels back to normal.Besides being a good endocrinologist, he was unable to give me a precise medical explanation on what exactly was happening.

My personal theory is that my HPA axis has taken a toll these last couple of years with the enhancing supplements and perhaps the pressure of a stressful life-style. Also the low levels of hormone (particularly cortisol) could be considered indicators that indeed my HPA axis is hypofunctional. Could this possibly explain my strange reactions to piracetam and noopept? As soon as I tried them I would feel great mentally but my body would shut-down its sexual function. Immediately I’d lose all desire, become numb down there, and lose all abilities to achieve and maintain erection. The only explanations that come to mind is that they further suppress my hormone system or that in some way they activate my fight or flight response in a way that blocks all sexual function. In any case I find it very surprising such well documented substances can have such a profound effect on my functioning.

Either way, It’s been three months I’ve been off all supplements living healthy but I’m trying to find how to correct this issue in the hopes that 

(1)I can fully heal and return to baseline 
(2) someday I can experience the same benefits I did from noopept or piracetam without the debilitating side effects

Ofcourse I’ve read into Ex-Dubios very helpful posts on what constitutes the HPA axis hypofunction arsenal (SSRI’s, SJW, Stimulants). It’s my belief that CDP Choline and Alpha GPC were also activating my HPA axis and perhaps that’s why I looked and felt younger while I was on it (hair,skin,morphology really improved!). However, I’m hesitant to use these as I’m scared since I get a anxiety (NE/adrenal?) effect from them and perhaps they where what worn down my endocrine system in the first place or perhaps were responsible for strong enough fluctuations resulting in lowered baseline HPA output. However this is all speculation.

Ultimately, my aim is to try and achieve a better understanding of what could be going on. Your experiences and insights are certainly welcomed and I’m glad to provide any other information which might provide a better understanding of the case.

• Informative x 1

#2 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

It's the racetams.

All you need to know about why these results occurred:

http://selfhacked.co...with-piracetam/

Brain fog

http://selfhacked.co...e-of-brain-fog/

• dislike x 4
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

Ur am cortisol is not as high as it should be for your age. Take licorice extract at morning and lunch

#4 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Ofcourse I?ve read into Ex-Dubios very helpful posts on what constitutes the HPA axis hypofunction arsenal (SSRI?s, SJW, Stimulants).

??? is this post copied from somewhere else or did you post in the wrong forum ? Ex-Dubio was never on Longecity, he was a member of the Mind&Muscle forum ( before the debacle ) .

#5 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

So how does one go about fixing HPA dysregulation/damage other than living a stress free life style?

• like x 1

#6 Joe Monroe

• 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I think I know of a way... here's a bit from an article. . The hypothalamic, pituitary, adrenal (HPA) axis constitutes one of the body's major control systems, serving to maintain body homeostasis with hormone feedback regulatory loops. If the HPA axis is driven very far from its natural homeostatic rest point, it may be unable to fully recover the healthy physiologic state. Under such conditions, the HPA axis dysfunction may become chronic. HPA axis dysfunction has been characterized in disorders including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), depression, post- traumatic stress disorder and Alzheimer disease.

A robust treatment strategy was designed to take advantage of the body's existing homeostatic mechanism, using a short-duration intervention to assist the HPA axis in re-asserting homeostasis about a healthy equilibrium. Akin to pulling back a slingshot, temporarily reducing the bioavailability of cortisol pharmacologically causes the HPA axis to overcompensate and launch itself back into a correct regulatory regime.

That was from: http://esciencenews....fight.or.flight and PLOS one actually did a study on it, that's siginicant. 

Here's the official study "model based correction of the fight or flight response" http://www.ploscompb...al.pcbi.1000273

I think a drug called mifepristone is the answer.

this is a snipppet from a study from PLOS: http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0046224

Chronic stress or prolonged administration of glucocorticoids suppresses proliferation and/or survival of newborn cells in adult rat dentate gyrus. Earlier we showed that administration of the glucocorticoid receptor antagonist mifepristone during the final 4 days of a 21 days period of corticosterone treatment fully normalized the number of newborn cells. Here we aimed to better understand how mifepristone achieves this effect and questioned whether an even shorter (single day) mifepristone treatment (instead of 4 days) also suffices to normalize neurogenesis.

---

Anyway sorry that was not very well layed out I just wanted to get the articles out there and a little from each one.. Besides those I've read about mifepristone being used for PTSD and depression with positive results. But even in those studies they think that the dosage could be (much?) higher for a shorter period to get better results. 

I did read about a study using it for psychotic schizophrenia and I think it said a single treatment was able to completely stop the psychotic symptoms (they still had schizphrenia though but not psychotic anymore. Anyway I just thought I'd share this. The thing is... right now mifepristone is only used as .. like the abortion pill... so very low doses are like even hundreds of dollars.. I actually did read about someone who said that in  india mifepristone is like super cheap and you can get it OTC.... 

lol yeah this sounds all kinda weird that I'm talking so much about it but I think it really could be the answer and would love to try it. I just wish it was affordable and could get it in larger doses. I mean it may be kind of experimental but there's studies of people taking larger doses of it with very little to no side effects and it's worth the risk to me. 

So yeah, there's that, make of it what you want, would like to hear other people's opinions.

• like x 1

#7 computeTHIS

• 153 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

I posted on my experience with Mifepristone and HPA axis dysfunction here: http://www.longecity...is-dysfunction/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Coffeee

• 201 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Something similar happened to me 2 years ago, i still have not returned to normal, you can see my posts about it, but everyone just bullied me about it saying i was crazy, now this guy came along and said it and i dont hear any more idiots blabbing, anyways, whats the update on this?

I dont want to try mifepristone because i read it causes some mice to go blind, i wont be trying that but is there something else that helped you shakespear?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic, piracetam, noopept, hpa dysregulation, hpa axis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users