• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Bloodtests to measure antioxidants/enzymes etc. - which one to take?

bloodtest enzyme antioxidan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Hi

I would like to take some blood tests to measure the level of antioxidants, enzymes, hormones etc. in my body, since I am taking a lot of supplements, but really do not know nothing about the the current levels in my body.

My GP, however, don't know a lot when I ask him such questions, so I would need the exact "name" of the tests in order to tell him what he is supposed to to.

What I want to test is:

1) The level of antioxidants in my body

2) The level of L-carnosine, NAC, TMG, Catalase, SOD, L-glutathione 

3) The level of DEHA

4) The level of other hormones

5) The risk of getting prostate cancer 

Do you know some precise "names" of these tests?

#2 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Lef has most important blood test explained here:

http://www.lef.org/p...4.htm#important

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

...but if one takes the recommended "male basic battery" of tests, then one will only indirectly get a measure of the antioxidant/enzyme level, i.e if the homocysteine level is low, then one postulate that antioxidant/enzyme activity is high?

Or am I wrong on this?

#4 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

1) The level of antioxidants in my body

...but if one takes the recommended "male basic battery" of tests, then one will only indirectly get a measure of the antioxidant/enzyme level, i.e if the homocysteine level is low, then one postulate that antioxidant/enzyme activity is high? Or am I wrong on this?

Indirectly. Homocysteine points more to a difficulty in methylation, or B vitamins deficiency. Here a selection of more direct tests taken from 2 books (Burgerstein's Handbook of Nutrition, Micronutrients in the Prevention and Therapy of Disease; and Micornutrients: Metabolic Tuning - Prevention - Therapy):

Oxidative stress

Urinary 8-epi-prostaglandin (PG) F20 Levels 0.5-3.0 ng/ml are normal Note: 1 ml urine, ELISA The prostaglandin derivate 8-epi-prostaglandin PG-F20 has most significance as sensitive and specific marker of lipid peroxidation. The formation of this isoprostane out of arachidonic acid is catalyzed through free radicals and has strong vasoconstrictive and mitogenic effects. Higher concentrations of 8-iso-PGF20 are associated with a disturbed radicals homeostasis and oxidative disruption of the prostaglandin synthesis. The renal excretion rate correlates with the number of smoked cigarettes, chemical exposure, plasma lipids (cholesterol), the activity of chronically inflammatory processes, like arteriosclerosis, Alzheimer, and diabetes, as well as with the oxidative burden in kidney insufficiency. The success of oral anti-oxidative interventions is reliable measurable after a couple of weeks supplementing antioxidants, such as vitamin C
Serum malondialdehyde (MDA) Levels 0.36-1.4 µmol/mmol are normal MDA is a reactive degradation product with the peroxidation of lipids. It is significantly involved with the oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
MDA is mostly renally excreted and clearly less sensitive compared to 8-iso-PGF20

1 ml ETDA, urine, HPLC
Urinary malondialdehyde Levels 0.2-1.45 µmol/mmol creatinine are normal
Urinary 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE) Levels < 50 nmol/l are normal 4-HNE is formated during the peroxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids (e.g. linoleic and arachidonic acid). Because of its two functional groups (aldehyde and hydroxyl) as well as the C=C double bound it is considered one the most reactive auto-oxidative products. 4-HNE is mostly renally excreted 3 ml EDTA, HPLC
Serum oxidative modified LDL cholesterol (oxLDL) Levels < 6.0 U/ml are normal, or oxLDL antibody: negative Oxidative modified LDL (ox-LDL) has a highly arterogenic potential. The measurement is direct or via the determination of antibodies against oxLDL serum, ELISA
Total anti-oxidative capacity (TAC) Levels 1.3-1.7 mmol/l are normal0.5 ml native serum General screening parameter for evaluation of antioxidants status. TAC gives the ability of the sample material to quench free radicals The oxidation of ABTS with H2O2 and the ABTS+ The added sample inhibits the coloring reaction according to its antioxidant content. Photometric determination at 600 nm
Urinary 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxo-dG) Levels 0.5-1.7 / 0.4-1.4 nmol/mmol creatinine (female / male) are normal The oxidative DNA damage causes formation of fragments like 8-hyroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxo-dG) in urine which can be demonstrated by auto-antibodies against oxidated DNA bases Note: morning urine, fluorescence or ELISA
Whole blood superoxide dismutase total activity (SOD) Levels 130-505 U/ml are normal SOD reduces the super-oxide anion radical into hydrogen.peroxide and lipid-hydro-peroxide. In hypochondria manganese dependent, in cytosol (liquid found inside cells) copper/zinc dependent
Whole blood glutathion peroxidase total activity (GSH-Px) Levels 4170-10880 U/ml are normal Selenium dependent GSH-Px reduces the hydroperoxide and lipidhydroperoxide
Serum glutathione (GSH) Levels 2.4-4.4 µmol/l are normal A decrease in cellular glutathione concentrations has negative effects on various cells of the immune system. Particularly cytotoxic T-cell activity, T-cell proliferation, the generation of CD-8 + T-cell blasts as well as the lymphkin activating killer cells and NK-cells are affected from l-glutathione depletion.
Note: Additionally the activity of GSH-S-transferases and GSH:GSSG quotient as well as selenium status assist the diagnosis The cellular glutathione content can be measured by flow cytometry
Serum glutathione disulfide (GSSG) Levels < 0.5 µmol/l are normal  
Serum glutathione / glutathion disulfide (GSH/GSSG) quotient Ratios 10-15 U/ml are normal  
Erythrozytes glutathione (GSH) Levels 785-1075 µmol/l are normal  
Lymphocytes glutathione (GSH) Levels 350-650 MI are normal  
Whole blood glutathione (GSH) Levels 4170-10880 U/ml are normal  
Plasma glutamine Levels 600-900 µmol/l are normal, < 600 µmol/l indicate deficiency Glutamine is with a percentage of 20% quantitative the most significant amino acid in blood plasma. In skeletal muscle over 60% of the free amino acids pool consists of glutamine. Causes of glutamine depletion for critically ill are: increased muscle/protein wasting, increased requirement of mucosa, liver and immunocompetent cells
Asymmetric dimetylarginine (ADMA) Levels 0.3-0.7 µmol/l are normal Asymmetric dimetylarginine is a endogenous, competitive inhibitor of endothelial NO -synthase (eNOS) and is usually degraded by dimethylarginine-dimethylaminohyrolase. Oxidative stress and Hcy inhibit this enzyme, whereby ADMA levels rise. Raised ADMA levels are found with hypercholesterolaemia, hyperhomocysteinemia, diabetes, PAVD, preeclampsia, erectile dysfunction and kidney dysfunction. ADMA is today seen as a independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The balance between ADMA and l-arginine can be restored by raising l-arginine levels
Plasma arginine Levels < 100 µmol/l are normal  
ADMA / arginine quotient Ratios 50-100 are normal  
CoQ10 red / CoQ10 ox quotient Ratio of about 90-10 is optimal The relation of reduced Coenzym Q10 (ubiquinol CoQ10 red) to oxidized Coenzym Q10 (ubiqinone, CoQ10 ox) is a meaningful and sensitive parameter for lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress
Further parameters   Homocysteine (plasma), hs-CRP, selenium (whole blood), vitamin E

Edited by pamojja, 01 June 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#5 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Dear Sirs

I asked for a lot of blood tests at my local doctor. He tested what he could. He tells me everything is within limits. These tests are taken in Europe.

The problem is of course always that the acceptable "ranges" are quite wide, and also that what is "within range" for me now as a 45 year old individual would perhaps not be within range if I was, for example, 35. The goal with my supplementation would of course be to place very well within the range applicable for my age, but also to place so well that my levels are within the range of a person actually younger than I am.

Are any of these values particularly negative (too high/too low) when you take into account that I am 45, and have been using quite a lot of supplements for about 20 years?

B-Hemoglobin: 14.5 B-Erytocytter: 4.93 B-EVF: 0.44 E-MCV: 88 E-MCH: 29 E-MCHC: 33.3 B-Leukocytter: 4.5 B-Trombocytter: 206 S-Kobalaminer: 628 S-Folater: 33,0* H(> 8,0) S-Kreatinin 100 Estimated GFR: > 60 S-Natrium: 142 S-Kalium: 4.6 P-Homocystein: 8.8

S-DEHA-sulfat: 5.0 S-Østradiol: 81 S-25-Hydr. Vit. D3: 65 S-Testosteron: 16.0

The tests were taken about 08:45 in the morning. The doctor said that the Testosteron should be interpreted based on the time it was taken. It was something with it being higher, or lower, in the morning?

Two additional questions are:

Can/Should I take DHEA supplementation? If so, how much how often

Should I try to supplement specifically to lower homocystein?

Edited by JohnDoe999, 03 June 2014 - 12:29 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

The problem is of course always that the acceptable "ranges" are quite wide, and also that what is "within range" for me now as a 45 year old individual would perhaps not be within range if I was, for example, 35. The goal with my supplementation would of course be to place very well within the range applicable for my age, but also to place so well that my levels are within the range of a person actually younger than I am.

The LEF page I linked to covers all these basic test you've mentioned, and more optimal ranges your age where they apply. Now you have to do your homework and learn what they mean and what's the possible consequences of supplementation. Your doctor doesn't know and you can't rely on medical advise on the internet. Without double checking - Never!!!

You will have to bear the consequences of supplement or its neglect. If you give this self-empowerment away to the internet you still will have to bear with its consequences good or bad.

After having done this essential homework, always also indicate the 'normal' range of your lab (so their deviation from other labs can be compared) and the kind of units.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloodtest, enzyme antioxidan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users