• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

A Little Light Reading: Speculative Fiction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 manowater989

• 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:23 AM

Hi everyone. I think the time has come to post this up here, and see what, if anything, anyone thinks of this. It's not really "light reading", that title was a bit of sarcasm. This is a proposal for a world in which a role-playing game of the sort like Dungeons & Dragons, if anyone knows what that is, could be set, which I found on another website (I won't say exactly which one), which is what introduced me to the concepts of immortalism, transhumanity, and all these topics in the first place, the author included a post explaining that many of the ideas expressed in it were based on real developing technologies, and there were also some allusions to that intent contained within the text itself. It was posted to a public forum not unlike this one so don't worry, it's not as if it was copyrighted or stealing intellectual property- I'm giving credit to whoever actually wrote this, they haven't been back in awhile and I don't know where they are now (the author was the original Manowater989, I was so impressed with their work that I "borrowed" their username for mine on these boards.) After all that I've learned about the real science of these subjects, I realize that it has some ridiculous predictions and totally impossible parts, but a lot of it, I think, is a startling wake-up call about what general *kind* of direction the future might be heading in- specifically, I like a lot of the ideas of the "Revs" in it, though you may say I'm crazy, would like to see that meme starting to spread in the real world. Anyway, it inspired the hell out of me, so, without further ado, I'll let you guys have a look at it.

“We have but one purpose: Society will fall at any cost!”

Just for the hell of it, I'm finally going to do the overview for this setting in the format that Delvesdeep invented, even if it doesn't much matter to anyone but me at this point.

Basic Description - Revolution has been a constant throughout human history. It is inevitable that some day a group of people will revolt against the idea of society itself, in what amounts to the final revolution. This is the story of that day. Two centuries from now, the world is finally and totally ripped asunder by a war the savagery and destruction of which have never been seen before. The opponents in this struggle are the structured Socs, fighting desperately to enforce and preserve their way of life and the fanatical Revs, chaotic transhumanist rebels who have vowed to claw out their freedom at any cost. The prize at stake is the very viewpoint and philosophy we will take to the stars and of course, as always, the fate of mankind itself, and perhaps, ultimately, all things.

Selling Points - Very original: I've never seen anything quite like this setting anywhere outside my own head. The concept of the Revs, particularly, I think is actually unique, as in, literally never having been done before.
Great Theme(s): I really enjoy the themes of this setting, even besides just the overall theme, (which is more than just the clichéd technology vs. nature, although that’s certainly part of it, or even than just law vs. chaos, although it definitely is that, but it’s like hope vs. hopelessness, Ghost In The Shell vs. Dragonball Z, The Matrix vs. Lord Of The Rings, the question of whether the future has to be so dystopian and bleak, or could it be utopian and warm?) I think it’s great that, even in spite of all the grim war, destruction, and gloom, there is a sort of hopeful quality of glory about it, like the heraldic sagas of old, a classical flourish of romanticism and the quixotic lacking in even seemingly brighter days.
Interesting: Aside from just being cool and a good setting for stories, the world is downright interesting. The science is very "out there" and well-thought-out, based mostly on extrapolations of where real technological trends might be heading, and it's also, as 77IM put it, "an interesting idea about the future fate of humankind."
Unique Combinations: The setting contains a wide variety of images, ideas, philosophies and concepts thrown at you in fast-cut style and almost always arranged in ways you might not expect. Demigodlike psionic war seraphim lead armies of golden warrior-knights wielding electromag energy swords and representing rebel philosophies against conscripted slum-dwellers, psycops and nano-enhanced cyborgs in trench and psychological warfare. There's politics, adventure, iconic images and grim reality all thrown together.
Diverse Range: It's a big world with a lot going on, so there's lots of opportunities for different types of games. Get involved in the war or avoid it like the plague. Explore life-drained Gloomlands, endless dusty plains, buried metal cities, gleaming golden spires in the sky, or sail a wooden ship to spherical cities in space.

Interesting Races/Creatures- It rarely gets more interesting than the Revs. You could maybe call them chaotic bio-engineering elves from the future, but that would absolutely not do them justice. They're immortal, they personalize their lives and their bodies to their own specifications, can control their own emotions, and are free to do anything they wish, are bonded for life to artificial bio-constructs called synths that can do nearly any task from growing food to communicating with other systems (such as ENP) for them, many are powerful psions called Teleks or have other adaptations like glands that prevent them from freezing or enhanced strength, some are great hulking armored paladins of chaos, some are winged angels, some barely look human at all. Their bioneers can create Trueform creatures of nearly any type. The Socs are no slouches in the uniqueness department either, many are interesting types of cyborgs, wired into communal computer systems or slowly becoming infected with nanomechanical lattice cells as their whole race becomes more and more monolithic, even Garns may develop some unique survival mechanisms.

Organizations - The organizations are the backbone of the world, they represent the philosophies that fuel its' conflict and basically make it go 'round. They are obviously organized along the two main axes of law (represented by the Socs) and chaos (represented by the Revs), with a third, neutrality (represented by the Garns). Good and evil are regarded as more subjective, shades-of-grey, with the Socs somewhat leaning more towards evil and the Revs perhaps leaning more towards good in certain ways, even though they are fanatical zealots who killed billions in a single unbelievable counter-strike. Thrown into the mix are smaller sub-categories within each overfaction, (Gia-Revs, Memeticists) and some that even span 2 of the 3 or all of them, but these, for the most part, are just groupings of certain types of people and not actual organizations with any ties together (Seekers).

Magic - "Magic" in this setting, like in that famous quote, is all sufficiently advanced technology. Most of it falls into the categories of either psionics (called in-setting "telemanipulative abilities/ powers"), which are a result of extremely advanced genetic alterations and are almost exclusively the purview of the Revs, or the actions of molecular or even atomic-scale (much smaller than in much other science fiction, thanks to similarly advanced breakthroughs in single-electron-scale manipulation) constructs (controlled by a cybernetic link in one's brain), which are mastered by the Socs, Revs only being capable of building much larger and cruder cell-sized nanos, only useful primarily for tasks within the bodies of organisms, guiding environmental growth and while they can grow structures and objects from molecular models, the Revs' nanos are incapable of magic-like supermanipulation. There are also some "magic items"- physical matter can be imbued with psychic energy for indefinite amounts of time and can function in accordance with whatever power the Telek may have "poured into" the item (may have charges or not) and automatic use nanoclouds that even a Rev could activate manually and other similarly advanced technological items, such as PosEn regeneration crystals used by Rev healers. In fact, crystals in general. Lots of crystals used by Revs. ;)

Locations - The most iconic locations are Core City and Geneva, respective capitals of Great Heavens (or Celestia); the Rev "empire" or nation, and the WSA; the Soc "empire" or nation. Core City is a holy, glowing, golden city of golden domes and spires in the sky, orbited by all other lifter colonies even as they orbit the Earth, it sits at the very top of the atmosphere, bordering on space, with a gigantic column of clouds being drawn up to its' base by the immense anti-gravitic power of its' lifter plate and the even more prodigious psychic energy emitted by Josh & Jen (the Revs' leaders-gods-emperor & empress) within. It glows with holy radiance and echoes with the chanting of celestial choirs, home to the piously holy and the truly free, protected solely by an angelic army led by seraphim who are based in the legendary Cloud Fortresses that are scattered all around it, so named not only for their location; hovering above the clouds, but also because their very shapes resemble that form, as if solid clouds of gleaming structures, with spires protruding both up towards the void and down towards the earth, it is here that the great Angelic Guard, whose stoicism and will in defending the city is far beyond that of even the most dedicated servants of the Revs, maintain their eternal vigil should any incurring Soc attack force ever make it through all the other defenses, this far into Rev-controlled space. A place of concentric circles arranged together, each even more holy and grand than the last, culminating finally at The Divine Palace, almighty tower of God, a shining spike of pure radiance that rises up directly from the very Core of the Core, a sanctified city utterly suffused by aching beauty and unrestrained pleasure, with pools and fountains of light, and tiny drifting points of radiance that the faithful call Blessings floating everywhere (actually byproducts of Josh and Jen’s colossal psychic emanations), where armies of golden armored warriors and knights riding created, winged mounts, and angels and crews of great soaring armadas of sleek, symmetrical wooden lifter ships with open decks and plasmic cannons descend to destroy the hated anathema who would otherwise kill and enslave, torture and break them, so that they can be free once and for all. If there is a real heaven anywhere in the physical universe, surely this must be the place.
Conversely, Geneva is just about hell. A vast, twisting fortress of cold grey metal jammed between what were once natural, living mountains, now all is machines and carefully observed, measured, and regimented control. It covers the land like a growing fungus, like metal poured between those mountains, it stretches into the sky in great pointing, jagged towers with little spines and lights, and in endless dark tunnels and passages so far below the ground that it seems to touch the bottom of the world. It is here that President Fisher and his Administration Council sit, considering how best to crush Josh and his great Revolution, to bring them all back under control, while at the same time the machinations and scheming of the councilors play out, each hoping to gain the upper hand. Meanwhile, the endless muster and drilling of soldiers, the sounds of alarms blaring in the distance continue, brain-dead cogs in the machine labor away in unlit factories, or tiny chambers processing data in the dim glow of centuries-old computers, or perhaps display an independent thought and dragged away, never to be seen again, but their screams can be heard echoing up through the vents, or more Assembly Defense Force units complete their training and deploy into the endless systems of metal and cement bunkers and guardtowers, of razorwire-encrusted trenches etched into the grey earth as the fortress-city’s towers get lower and lower, sprawling away across the miles into just a few stories above-ground and finally into these fortifications, and layers of hungry nanos and crackling electromagnetic shields, or, even more likely, they may they set out into the deadly, burning, war-torn wastes to die every day by the tens of thousands, to meet some assaulting force of Revs or attack their floating cities in huge fleets of jets and disassembling nanoclouds and remote drones and computerized bombs.

Other - One more time, I'm going to steal something the esteemed 77IM said: Well, there's actually a whole ton of other! Check it out!

P.S. I have been thinking quite a bit about this setting here and there, so this most likely will contain some new info or at least clarifications of things not seen in the main text. I guess it's a little weird to have the overview go into more detail on some aspects than the actual work, but, oh well. In fact, looking at this tells me that the whole thing really needs a rewrite and this should actually be an overview for a Second Edition of CoF incorporating all my new ideas but I'm too lazy so, as they say, meh. :nonono:

Here
Ok. This is my re-edited version of everything. Some of this stuff was originally mine, some of it was 77IM's. Credit was given where due. Most of this is redundant (i.e. the same as what is already posted here and other places) but a lot of things are subtly different and a few things are entirely new. Think of it as the CoF Special Edition DVD, with added bonus material :)

The Last Revolution: Revolution has been a constant throughout human history. It is inevitable that some day a group of people will revolt against the idea of society itself, in what amounts to the final revolution. This is the story of that day.

This was really designed with d20 modern and perhaps even the upcoming d20 Future in mind. For a short description, it is a Post-Apocalyptic, Bizzarro Wartime Scifi about a near-future Earth consumed by brutal war between chaotic and technologically advanced rebels and lawful, high-population traditionalists.

This is just the basic backstory, all fluff and no crunch, because I am bad at crunch. I provide the fluff, but I need others to convert into crunch for me. More rules and specifics to come later. I am looking for any feedback, input, or suggestions. Most of all, I am looking for collaborators to 1. help me get up-and-running a website, 2. help me get it published (or whatever), or 3. submit ideas and help be a classes-and-rules consultant so I don't have to do all the work myself. Let me know what you think!

Chronicles Of Fate
War Of The Fates

(Note: The following is a compilation of different materials taken from disparate sources. It’s aim is not to present a unified account as a coherent whole, but instead to chronicle the conditions leading up to, involving, and determining the history and current conditions of the Earth Civil War from many different points of view.)

“And he opened his mouth for blasphemies against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, even them that dwell in the heaven. And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and there was given to him authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation. And all that dwell on the earth shall worship him, every one whose name hath not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that hath been slain.”
-The Christian Bible, Revelation 13:6-13:8

“And there came at last, among the many myriad shrouds of despair and oppressive sins of the dark and hopeless Old World a new God, our true God who made the very world unto which He was born, and who would make it again, even in the futurepast, and He hated with wrath the evil subjugation of His world by Society, and it was known that He would not suffer it to last.”
-The Divinist Ordne, Origin Cycle, Verse 2

“Why am I siding with them now? Because I think they can win. Those who truly believe in him have absolute devotion- they do not fear death. And now I hear that he can conjure soldiers from nothing. Yes, this war will be over soon now. They say that no one can rule forever, but there is always an exception, and this time, he’s it. Nothing will ever defeat that man- that God, for I now believe that must be what he is. What else could explain the things that he can do?”

“Those filthy animals, they’re just some vicious rebels. They’re terrorists, cowards, mass-murderers, beasts! They themselves admit they aren’t human, so we’ll exterminate the vermin. They think they’re better than us, they live in floating castles above us and call themselves angels? They’re monsters! There is an order to mankind that they cannot destroy with fire or with war, and we have little to truly fear: for in the end, they cannot win.”

The Socs Vs. The Revs:
World To War
2002: The modern world. Cast in plastic and in sheetrock, in the skies can be seen airplanes and helicopters. Fast food restaurants, schools, and malls. Everything is made out of cubes: people spend their lives in concrete boxes. And of course, there is always Society. What must people do? What must they say? How must they act? They must conform, be like everyone else. What happens to those who refuse to conform? It is rarely a pretty picture. But to those who live in this world, it seldom strikes them as such a dreary and monotonous image- they have their own things to consider: a girl they like, or a promotion they want, or the chasing of the next temporary high. And they have more important worries: there are wars, evil forces, people are afraid. There is politics, business, religion. All of these things kept people busy in the modern world. But there was at least one person who was largely unconcerned with all these things: it was Society that worried this boy. He spent the year of 2002 at a school for people who didn’t conform. It was here that he finally awakened, finally saw. He was to become very important.

2003: The modern world continues. But this boy is getting more and more ideas. Society worries him more and more now, and, elsewhere, others start having the same kinds of thoughts. Eventually, there would be so many of them as to worry Society. The boy, his name being Josh, became their leader. And the modern world became The World That Was. What happened?

Socs- S-O-C. The first 3 letters of words like “Social” and “Society”. These sorts of things are very important to these people. Socs believe in the neat order of rules and laws, and the power of conformity to keep people getting along. Some Socs are good, others are bad. The good ones think rules and social norms can keep people from getting hurt and facilitate more peaceful human interaction. The bad ones want to use laws to control and imprison people, bending them to their will.

Revs- R-E-V. The first 3 letters of words like “Revolution” and “Revolt”. These sorts of things are very important to these people. Revs believe in freedom, individuality, chaos, and trusting people to make their own decisions. Some Revs are good, others are bad. The good ones think that people should always be left alone to do what they want, believing this to be essential to human happiness and fulfillment. The bad ones want to use freedom and randomness as a tool to be vicious and capricious, hurting and tormenting as they please.

Escalation To War: Unbeknownst to the Socs or not, there was a war brewing between the Socs and the Revs. As Josh lived on, he gathered many more Revs to his side, and it became a secret organization. As a scientist, he also received worldwide recognition for his many incredible inventions. He founded a huge corporation, using most of the proceeds to fund the growth of his private organization. Among his most prominent inventions were the Lifters, a nearly 75-year-old technology, created but never perfected by the Socs, which he used to create a fleet of antigravity airships called Lifter Ships, and accompanying Lifter Colonies, suspended high above the ground, for them to fly to, and humanoid artificial life forms designed to serve humans, predictably named Synths. Nearly all of this technology, that would become the hallmark of Rev design, incorporated natural shapes and wood as a material. His final, and, for a long time, lost, invention was the fountain of youth: an irreproducible strain of the telomerase enzyme that halted aging and granted eternal life and youth. Josh used the enzyme on himself and his wife, Jennifer, then, in 2021, at the ages of 38 and 39, they faked their own deaths, and then disappeared into the shadows. For the next 200 years, while the civilization of the world grew closer and closer to the brink of catastrophe, he continued to grow his secret organizations, which took control of a web of businesses, churches, other organizations, and even governments. Continued to watch, and wait, still biding his time. During this period, The Revs founded their first official outlet: the Freedomist political party in the United States, which eventually replaced the failing Democratic Party as one of the two major parties. Josh also founded within the Revs an even more devoted inner circle: the Divine Order, a religion that worships him as God. And all the while, other major events continued to transpire: great natural disasters, outbreaks of plague and political shiftings and machinations. New nations were born: South Africa grew into a new superpower, while Middle Eastern nations consolidated and a large new country emerged with former Ethiopia as its’ center. Wars never ceased either, and even as the day approached when all Socs would have to band together against their common enemy, they never stopped fighting one another. There was even a small (comparatively) nuclear war called the Atsief Conflict, but all of this paled in comparison with the true threat of the coming storm. By 2221, the Revs had even stockpiled a vast store of weapons, many of which were powerful new types invented by Josh that the Socs did not have.

In 2224, Josh revealed himself again. Many more came to join his cause and worship him. By this time, there were Lifter Ship docks, all made of wood, in all major cities, everyone recognized the distinctive, wooden “Rev part of town” built down onto the water, where just about anything someone wanted to do was tolerated and even encouraged. There were great depressurized tunnels, suspended by Lifters with their bottoms in the upper atmosphere and their tops in space, so the wooden Lifter Ships could enter and exit the atmosphere without fear of burning up, and the first Lifter Colonies in space: not flat and island-like as the ones in the air, but iron spheres with many holes for Lifter Ships to fly into and out of, spinning so as to keep their air. The following year marked the start of the Exodus. Revs began to migrate en masse to the Lifter Colonies, leaving the surface behind, and forming a new nation named Great Heavens. At the same time, they elected to be altered in many ways, including genetic engineering, which set the Revs well on their way to evolving into a new species, genetically independent from the human Socs dwelling on the surface. With their fantastic and superior technology, the Rev Celestians (people of Great Heavens, also called Celestia) joined the United States, China, and South Africa as world superpowers. The Socs still living on the ground became fearful and jealous of Great Heavens, and as their own imbalance intensified, came to blame the Revs for all their problems.

The Revs had started out hating the Socs, but, now that they could live free of their enforced conformity, they were content to live in peace with them. As the Socs became more and more envious of what the Revs had and stood for, the Revs petitioned for there to be peace. At the same time, however, they secretly braced for war, developing their most dreadful weapons ever: the CinderStar, and the Negadyne. Finally, the world of the Socs began to collapse. The WSA (World Societalist Assembly) was formed to unite all Soc nations against the “looming threat” of the Revs, and, at that point, it could have been any little thing that finally ignited all the barely-suppressed conflicts just waiting to flare all at once and end the world as they knew it: it just so happened to be learning that Great Heavens held the secret of immortality that turned out to be the final straw, in their minds, a justification to attack, demanding it be given to them. When Josh refused, it was underway: at 4:22 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on Saturday, November 24th, 2246, 18 nations launched 33 atomic warheads at the Sector Capitol Lifter Colony of Independent Act, destroying it- over 12 million people were killed.

The Socs could have done more damage. They could, perhaps, have taken Celestia somewhat by surprise, although they really were pretty sure what was coming. Still, the Socs, in their arrogance, thought they could frighten Great Heavens, which they greatly underestimated, into surrendering with a show of force. They were greatly mistaken. The newspapers on the surface had just enough time to get out their headlines “WAR!” before the Revs deployed their CinderStar and Negadyne Bombers, engulfing much of the world in the twin blooms of solar flame and negative force. The Socs had their own destructive spread to add to the conflagration, unleashing their full store of atomic bombs and many other varied weapons and detonations besides. To view the world from space that day, it was surely a beautiful and colorful fireworks display. There is no knowing how furious Josh must have been, sealed inside his Divine Palace on the Celestian capital of Core City, but one thing was for sure: The Earth Civil War had begun.

Dawn Of The New World: From space, the firestorm that marked the First Day Of Fire may have been both beautiful and colorful, but to those a little closer, it was hell on Earth. Whatever illusion of organization and structure mankind might have convinced itself it built in its’ life on this planet was reduced to ash and molten earth on that day. The fire that the CinderStars rained down was devastating enough: it covered the land in great sheets of liquid plasma, melting mountains and valleys alike into white-hot magma. But the radii of pure annihilation spewed forth by the Negadyne Bombs was worse: negative energy that breaks down all matter on a sub-atomic level, and drains all life from anything it touches, great craters where nothing shall ever grow again, and storms of darkness that level all in their path. The atomic bombs, numbering in the thousands, added their radioactive flame to spill out across the already dying lands, and millions of smaller bombs, missiles, and even potentially more devastating nanotech disassemblers contributed to The World That Was being reduced to the nightmarish New World.

And yet, it was not over. 24 hours passed, the world still burned, and the Second Day Of Fire began. Not content in their destruction of all things, both sides refused to relent, and continued to either pour down or propel up their weapons. Eventually, however, the Socs could withstand no more. The surface burned, but try as they might, they could not ignite the heavens. The seas of shadow and flame that spread over the lands overwhelmed them, and they decided to cut their losses and run. After the 9th Day, the Days Of Fire were over. There were 9 Days Of Fire in all, and in that short span, the world was ruined. And yet, still, not as much of the Earth’s surface was destroyed as most expected: even then, there were lands that were still not wastes. It was to these places that the surviving Socs then migrated. The Revs, believing their victory was at hand, descended in wrath with more bombs, and Lifter Ships armed to the hilt, and many soldiers, ready to enact their righteous vengeance. But the Socs greatly surprised them with just how much of their great forces remained. The Revs were the rebels remember, and although they destroyed much of the old order with their ingenious and horrifying weapons, the Socs were still the ones who had been controlling all of mankind for hundreds of thousands of years, and their numbers were still far greater, despite the billions that The 9 Days Of Fire had killed.

And so began The Civil War in earnest. The Lifter Ships and great hosts of the Revs, including many Synth soldiers, descended, but the Socs, fortifying their positions and aiming weapons skyward, were prepared. They clashed, and the horrific Battle Of Sonates began.

The War: The Battle Of Sonates, the opening battle of The War, included all of the bombs and weapons that were used in The 9 Days Of Fire, though in much lesser quantities, in addition to massive contingents of soldiers and vehicles. The Revs were able to do more damage while they were still airborne- once they landed, it became a drawn-out bloodbath that raged on to the sound of roaring explosions, weapons fire, and the tortured screams of the dying. Both sides raged with all their hatred, and tore one another to shreds. Josh was there, leading his armies, and so was his counterpart, Allan Fisher, elected president of the WSA before the war began, former U.S. President and uber-Soc, not leading his armies but issuing orders from a base, and just as angry. The battle eventually ended when nearly all were dead. None can say for sure which side the Battle Of Sonates was a victory for, both lost nearly all who fought in it, although unsurprisingly, neither Josh nor Allan Fisher were killed or even injured in the battle. Most agree it was probably the Revs who won, since they tend to never stop fighting unless they’re all dead. By the time Fisher called for a retreat of his decimated forces and Josh ascended back up to Core City to replenish his armies, many more Rev forces had descended to attack, many more Soc forces prepared to defend and counterattack, many other vicious battles broken out all over the world, and it was clear this nightmarish war would not be over any time soon.

The Front Lines: During The 9 Days Of Fire, both the Socs and Revs exhausted most of their supplies of Weapons Of Mass Destruction. The Revs used theirs first, and continued to use more as The 9 Days went on, many of which were intended to intercept hails of Soc weapons being aimed up at them and create a generalized barrier of firepower to protect their Colonies. Many Colonies were destroyed nonetheless, but nowhere near the level of devastation that surface settlements suffered. Furthermore, the Revs’ weapons had a much larger blast radius than those of the Socs, so they had to use less to produce more destructive effects. On the flipside, however, the Socs did fire all of their nuclear weapons, including hydrogen bombs, at the Revs. However you look at it, once the bombs started flying, most of the weapons both sides deployed were needed simply to survive. Though, the Revs did end up using more of their weapons, in all, (although still a far lower number) than the Socs in order to (debatably) emerge the “victors” of The 9 Days Of Fire.

The point of all this is that by the time that actual combat began, both sides had few remaining weapons of mass destruction and thus, as they began to war in the still-burning wastelands they had just created, had to rely mostly on their troops and units to ensure victory, they could not afford wasteful use of their few remaining bombs. As this hellish combat progressed and even intensified, however, both sides used the opportunity to try and quickly manufacture more bombs. After The Battle Of Sonates was over, a series of long and intense airborne firefights between Lifter Ships and Soc aircraft was accompanied by another relentless volley of Soc weapons fired up and Rev weapons dropped down. The descending Rev invasion forces continued to be greeted with ascending defense fleets. Eventually, after months of savage war, both sides, unable to make any further progress up or down, had unwillingly settled into an unwanted gridlock, and at last the Front Lines were established: the Lower Atmosphere. Above that was the Rev space, below it, the Socs’ zone, and it was at the border that the War raged at its most deadly.

The King & Queen: As Revs began to migrate to the Lifter Colonies, they finally got the chance to test their idea of utopia: a world where people can live together without needing a society to bind them or inform their lifestyles. Due at least in part to their genetic modifications, some theorize, it worked far better than any Socs anticipated. The very concept seemed antithical: how could any group of people remain viable as a group without a society to give it some structure and meaning? And yet, this question rung hollow as it was clearly working- confounding the Socs, but the Revs themselves were not in the least bit surprised. All of the hallmarks of society were absent: no order or hierarchy, no social classes or class system, no consensus of opinion, no norms or traditions and certainly no demands to conform, not even any rules except the necessary stricture on causing others harm. The vast numbers of Synth slaves that performed everything the humans didn’t want to do, fulfilling their every desire and ensuring they never had to work again further contributed to this hedonistic, epicurean vision of a non-society.

The Revs varied wildly, so great was their diversity that indeed no real connection could be drawn between them except a shared desire to do whatever the hell they wanted come hell nor high water. They could even communicate without rules: they talked when they had something to say, in any order, and even when other people were talking, and yet they could always understand all that was being said and it never seemed to bother them. They carried on conversations, and, indeed, did just about everything in this random, impulsive fashion. And yet, to say there was no hierarchy at all would be untrue: there were two people whom the Revs did consider their leaders, with the right to actually tell them what to do, should they ever choose to (a right they afforded no others). These two people were Joshua and Jennifer Zmijewski. Now, from the time that the Revs were merely an organization, (or disorganization, as many jokingly called it) Josh & Jen were already the Supreme Director and Co-Director, respectively, and when Great Heavens declared itself as an independent nation, they were unanimously appointed Divine Emperor and Divine
Empress. As the Revs’ situation grew more and more dire, more of them converted to Divinists (followers of The Divine Order). Not all Revs were ever Divinists, but as they were looking for something to hope for and believe in, it was not a difficult transition to take comfort in and start praying to and worshipping the “infallible” leaders they already looked to to bring them salvation. Of course, a complete list of all the titles of honor that Celestians afforded them could comprise its’ own book, but among the most common were The Holy Ones, The High Lords, His/Her Holiness, King Above Kings and Queen Of Angels, or simply The King & Queen. In fact, anywhere you went in the world, among the lands of the Socs or Revs, to refer to “The King”, anyone would know you were talking about Josh.

Both Joshua and Jennifer had many forms and mantles that they wore for their varied different roles. Divinists believed Josh was The supreme god, creator and ruler of all that is, and true savior of humanity. That was his purest form, God Supreme. God Of Victories, they also named him, and in war he led all the forces of the Revs, and at their utmost front he marched or flew, and wore a fearsome and glorious coat of armor, all spikes and baroque curves and rays of blessed radiance, in his left hand he wielded a gigantic smashing hammer, a great rectangular form glowing with brilliance, in his right was a colossal, ever-burning broadsword, heavier and than 10 of the Socs’ jet planes, and forged of the densest nano-engineered carbon. A thousand ordinary people could not have lifted these weapons, but with his telekinesis, Josh wielded them as if they were made of air. Jen, they named The Holy Queen, gentle healer of those in pain and a shining light of hope to all those in despair. On her other side, though, was the fearsome lord of warriors, descending in wrath and rage and vengeance, full of righteous scorn. This was the Queen Of Angels, her divine fury was feared by all Socs, especially when she swooped down for the attack at the forefront of her bands of Angels. She felt responsible to avenge all those who had been harmed by the Socs’ rapacious callousness, but her greatest rages were fueled by her fierce and endless love for Josh, and her maternal instinct to repay any real or perceived attack on her beloved with the most savage of reprisals. Her weapon was a great staff, which she wielded with mighty power. Both also had their peaceful mantles as leaders, King & Queen they were, utterly confident, serene, and working in complete connection, always reassuring the people and charting their course safely through all trials and crises. Lastly, they retained always their personal and very private forms, for all their power, always shockingly human and fragile, and in this mantle they were together and lovers in the purest way possible, and also in this guise alone could they know fear and even doubt the things they themselves had done while wearing their mantles of glory and power, but never did they show these, true selves to any save one another.

Teleks, Angels, and other Rev marvels: From the days when Josh was simply a man like any other and a scientist, he had always been fascinated by all fields of technology, and, he seems to have believed, perhaps no field offered a greater immediate opportunity to humankind than genetics. Although there were many genetic biologists in the world, Josh’s brazen willingness to push the envelope farther than good sense would allow and sheer creative genius established him as a sort of scientific celebrity that the world had never known before. Even the Watsons & Cricks, the Einsteins and Hawkings of that world had not received such immediate and widespread attention during the very period when their discoveries were actually being made. “Zmijewski cracks this or that genetic code” was a constant headline, in addition to all the other breakthroughs he was pioneering, like “patents efficient and sustainable antigravity technology”. Many thought they smelled some sort of conspiracy and doubted that one man was really inventing all these things, as his company’s stock continued to rise.

Finally, he had done it. He established the sequence of chemical modifications that ultimately allowed for the spontaneous generation of genetic material carrying any and all desired traits. The entire world quite literally went nuts- scientists and governments proclaimed the beginning of a new age, where humans would be as gods, able to create any type of life they imagined. It would be the end of hunger, disease, and all human suffering. Religious groups proclaimed it was the end of the world, and the Vatican issued an official statement branding Josh the antichrist and warning that Armageddon was now imminent. The technology was so incendiary that they couldn’t even trust the patent office of any country with it. Josh first applied it to the growth of synthetic life-like systems: carbon-based, organic circuitry composed of interlocking protein networks, but not truly alive. Thus the Synths were born. At first he started selling animal-like models as a curiosity, pets, and for experimentation, but it wasn’t long before he patented his first several series of humanoid models, marketing them as a slave race to serve humanity. Seeing them as containing the sought-after protein sequence, all the major countries and corporations of the world bought the first, exorbitantly-priced models, but alas, they could not unravel anything unique in their organic circuitry, in fact, they couldn’t even tell what was making them work at all: they clearly weren’t living, and seemed to be just protein soup animated by some mysterious force.

But it was then that Josh applied his sequence to his ultimate dream: eternal life. Years earlier, substances called telomerase and telomearse were discovered, enzymes that apparently controlled the lifespan of a cell. However, they proved ineffective at altering the lifespans of multicellular organisms: the idea was deemed too complicated and shelved. Josh took a second look at it, however. To this day, it is not known what modifications he made, but, in the end, he created Ambrosia, the Golden Fountain Of Eternal Youth. Though he told a few of his scientist colleagues that the stuff was simply telomerase, the sample that was eventually obtained showed almost no resemblance to the original enzyme. Nonetheless it clearly worked. Perhaps his little joke to himself, he returned to his home state of Florida (to say that the Spanish had been right, The Fountain Of Youth really was there, they were just a couple hundred years early) to test the genetically modified enzyme first on bacteria, then simple plants, then fruit flies, and finally mice and a cow. All showed a complete cessation of aging and in fact development of any kind. Rumor had gotten out that the crazy mad scientist was making another Frankenstein, and some even reported it had something to do with “life extension”. Therefore he could not afford the usual human trials, he had no time to waste. He had his wife flown in under utmost security conditions, used the enzyme on himself and her, arranged for his assets to be handled and company to be sold, then faked their own deaths and left. Two days later, their bodies were found, toxicology revealed they had been killed by multiple, fast-growing and very deadly cancers, the result of mutated, genetically modified enzymes injected into their bloodstreams. Those bodies were in fact mindless clones, grown previously in case of emergency. When the story of their deaths broke, they were on a Lifter Ship halfway around the world.

Many mourned the death of perhaps the most brilliant scientist the world had ever known, and many others celebrated the death of a madman whom they feared would destroy all life as they knew it. The Vatican retracted its’ earlier statements, and said that he wasn’t the antichrist after all. The Synths continued to be sold and more series designed, and many other scientists tried to pick up with his work where he left off, but, in the end, no one could ever crack his code, and it was thought that he took it with him to the grave: poetic justice, they said, that he was killed by his own ungodly meddling. That was exactly what he wanted him to think. Of course, the conspiracy theories always continued. To the minds of the skeptical, much seemed wrong. The dental records of the bodies found were off from Josh & Jen’s actual files. Just because they were genetically identical, they argued, meant nothing. It was well known that Josh could create any genetic material he wished, and besides, cloning was already commonplace. Genetic evidence was no longer accepted as absolute proof of identity in other cases, so why here? Perhaps it was simply more convenient for all the powerful people involved if Professor Zmijewski stayed “dead”. And what about his world-changing genetic technology? Surely someone else could put that to use? But, nonetheless, most people believed it, and, for a time, the world sort of calmed down again, at least as far as concern over Josh Zmijewski went.

Over the course of the next 2 centuries, even while committing to the growth of the Revs as an anarchist organization, he always kept up his experiments with creating different types of altered humans. He was fascinated with the concepts of eugenics, removing detrimental properties from the human genome, and adding fantastical new ones. He created genetic sequences that continued to amplify the power of brain waves generated ever more, until telekinesis became a very real and powerful genetic modification. He created humans with different unique organs, and many different variations of biology. He even created many organisms that were hybrids of other organisms, and, perhaps most amazing of all, organisms made entirely of spontaneously-generated DNA, which were wholly man-made, contained any traits he wanted, and contained no genetic material from any naturally-evolved organism: so-called “trueform organisms”. By the time that The Exodus began, he was more than ready to begin mass-scale alteration. By this point, he had even invented the process by which electrical activity (the mind or “soul” of a person or animal) could be extracted from the brain without damaging it, then transferred to another intelligent system. The Revs were “healed”, their minds filtered free of trauma and brainwashing, and transferred into new bodies that were genetically different in many ways, including a lack of the genetic material responsible for humans’ apparent desire for conformity and control. How Josh could possibly have isolated the DNA responsible for a particular emotion or mental tendency is still one of the greatest mysteries when studying the Revs’ genetic history, and yet he clearly did, somehow. He also imbued them with the telomerase that granted them eternal life. This was the origin of a totally new human species, Homo caveteus.

Furthermore, as an even greater gift to a select elite he gave the awesome gift of telekinesis, perhaps the greatest human technology ever to have existed thus far. Telekinesis is technically just the capacity to manipulate objects with focused mental energy, but it is usually often erroneously applied to the broader and more correct but seldom used category of Telemanipulation, which means the capacity to manipulate any processes or effects in the physical world with focused mental energy. Those termed “telekinetics”, more commonly referred to as “teleks”, are more likely actually telemanipulatives- able to do much more with their mental energy than simply move things. At the same time, his confidence growing ever greater, he applied the same ideas to the creation of other technological fantasies: the first true AIs, spontaneously-generating, intelligent systems as smart as humans but completely electronic, and his long-held dream of creating The Angels: an elite caste of powerful, winged, mostly female telekinetic warriors which he would put his beloved wife in command of. Another discovery of this period, that of “Positive” and “Negative” energy, was really more in the field of physics, but had implications for biotechnology. While negative energy was already being put to use developing the Negadyne Bombs and other matter-devouring weaponry, the discovery of energy imbued with much greater-than-normal concentrations of positively charged force, or “positive” energy, which had the power to assemble atoms into more orderly forms or mend broken atomic structure, coupled with their already-existing skills of tissue cloning, nano-implantation, and tissue regeneration gave them unprecedented ability to heal sickness and injury, even resurrect the dead. By this time, however, the Socs had already partially caught up with them: using nanomachines to compensate for the their fundamental gap in knowledge, they were also starting to be able to create their own AIs and radically genetically altered organisms, although still largely inferior, and the capacity to create Teleks, Angels, or even their own Synths (not derivative of Josh’s original designs) was still far beyond them.

The Socs: And what of The Socs? That strange, obsolete breed so fiercely devoted to their old ways and outdated structures? Their lives and endless, ultimately futile struggle for conformity was never easy, and it only got worse once Josh and his Revs came along. You really can’t help but feel sorry for them: victims of the very evolution that had allowed them to survive to the point where they could develop the technology that gave birth to their successors, who had now passed them by. Victims, quite literally, of their own devices, victims of the endless cycle of needless misery they had created, originally, out of necessity. They believe that without Society, humans are no better than animals, indeed, they believe that the Revs, who reject Society, are animals, and they truly hate them for it. They cannot see beyond it, and will hold fast to this belief as long as they still draw breath.

As the “the modern world”, The World That Was, began to approach it’s end, the Socs were not worried. They had a firm control on things, if anything, it seemed, things were getting better, not worse, for Society. But they were sadly mistaken: it was their very blindness to the truth that allowed the Revs to come into existence in the first place, and they were doomed to never notice the gradual revolution brewing behind the scenes until it was too late. The world was already taking it’s first steps towards destruction and transformation, and the Socs could only watch as their neatly planned order of all things began to decay. Things were set in motion that could not then be stopped- the world was about to change, and they could not avoid it.

This isn’t to say that the heartless and shadowy men and women who had taken advantage of the crumbling and fearful civilization of the “huddled masses”, using it to catapult themselves into positions of unquestioned authority, were not dreadfully prepared for the horrific eventualities that they were expecting. When global thermonuclear holocaust failed and the ensuing apocalyptic war seemed like a potential losing struggle, they began to prepare their “final solution”: Option Zero, the creation of a nano-disassembler cloud with unlimited growth protocols, to be loosed on the Colonies in order to devour them completely but, hopefully, not the entire Earth. (Their plan to stop the Zero Cloud once it’s destroyed the Revs was still under construction.) Truth be known, they hated and feared their uncounted hundreds of millions of supposedly “loyal” drones as much as the openly reviled Revs- it was the constant terror of war and the supposedly insidious temptation of rebellion, deceit and lies that they used to keep them firmly within the confines of their domination. They sacrificed them, as many as possible, in order to panic them into total submission, while at the same time battering them against Rev defenses, hoping to bring the entire world once more under the sway of Society, as it should be. The Revs’ own tactics, their swift and brutal attacks which leave no survivors, were perhaps a greater boon than curse to the leaders of Society: it made them the perfect monsters, terror that swoops down from above, leaving none alive, on which nearly anything could be blamed. Who’s to say, when, perhaps, a certain outpost or group learns too much of the truth or gets a little too autonomous, that the Revs didn’t destroy it utterly? The very philosophy of the Socs gives them perhaps greater control than any other regime in history, as anyone with a hint of independent thought is branded traitor, demon, and Rev. Perhaps even more frightening is the future that they have planned for them: using the creation of Lattice Cells, nano-constructs that fuse with ordinary matter or living tissue and essentially “wire” together all of their component units into a singular, techno-organic entity, they intend to transform humanity and all of its’ artifice into a collection of gigantic, monolithic “machine hives”, complete with group-minds, in which individuality is utterly impossible. Indeed, it would not be at all surprising to note that the tyranny of the WSA is the most dreadful that has ever been upon the Earth, as it is the terrible Age Of War which played host to so many of the most extreme examples of various phenomena ever to exist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The PCs would be people on different sides. Play as a Rev Telekinetic Berserker (a dedicated hero) or a Soc Soldier (a tough hero). Or perhaps play as a survivor from the shattered surface, trying to make your way in the world without getting swept up into the conflict raging all around you. Yes, I realize it's a bit like Gamma World, but it's not THAT similar. Plus, this focuses more on the War itself. It's not just like "ok, there was this big war that destroyed the world, it's over, and now, here is the world, destroyed." It's like "here's this big war that's destroying the world, who will win? What will be the fate of the world?"

Or, for a really tough and interesting, kind of command-the-armies campaign, you could play as Josh (or Jen) or Allan Fisher. But that would be really high-powered though. Let me know what you guys think. I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, ideas, or even criticisms, and really appreciate anyone who wanted to help at all converting it into an actual setting, making any stats or rules for anything I mentioned.

Other Factions: Here are other factions that are sub-groups within the overall categories of either Soc (basically lawful alignment whether good or evil) and
Rev (basically chaotic alignment whether good or evil). Credit for these goes to 77IM!

Megs: The beginning of the word "megalomaniac." This is a person -- either a Soc or a Rev -- who, having most of their needs attended to by technology, decides to spend their time dominating others. "An idle mind is the devil's playground," the old saying goes. In these people, the social instinct has become twisted and warped. Not strictly needing society (since science provides their every want), their desire to fit in to a hierarchy causes them to power-grab in every way possible, often by bullying others, encouraging unnecessary (and unfair) competition, and manipulating those closest to themselves. Megs are a problem on both sides (Socs and Revs); they are more well integrated to Soc culture, so they tend to be more successful there while damaging the culture less, although Rev megs, with their superior technology and lack of any behavioral restrictions, can be very insidious. Revs in general revile megs as one of the most hated form of Soc, while Socs can put up with a meg for a while if the meg's rule is good and society is upheld ("When Mussolini was in charge, at least the trains ran on time"). Megs, for their part, often take a stance of extreme zeal and loyalty towards their side of the war, but in reality, would switch sides quickly if they really thought it would increase their temporal power. Many Revs think Allan Fisher is a meg, and every Soc has been taught that Josh and Jen (indeed, every Rev) is little more than a successful meg.

Seekers: Why are we here? What is the purpose of existence? What meaning does my life have? When people don't have to work hard for a living, the mind is free to wander to such questions. The Seekers are a loose categorization of individuals who believe that the quest for meaning is the most noble of pursuits (although there are many of them who believe that the search is more important than the goal itself). Seekers share only a few traits. Most reject the materialism of the modern world, believing that there is more to reality than physical existence, and that ultimately, science and technology can't give us all the answers. All Seekers, however, believe that cosmic truth can't be forced upon any individual; some of the most vocal opponents of early Soc aggression against the Revs came from Soc Seekers. For years, Rev Seekers (who favor personal and scientific explorations of the universe and of the mind) and Soc Seekers (who often follow more traditional religious or spiritual paths) were able to put aside their differences out of respect for their mutual plight, but these relations have become strained with the outbreak of the war. Most Soc Seekers seem not so much angry with the Revs as disappointed with them for not sharing the secret of immortality with everyone. No Seekers are ever megs, and vice versa.

Garns: "Garn" is a broad term applied to those who, since the early days of Soc-Rev tension, chose not to take a side. A third, neutral faction that tries to make what little of a life for themselves as they can in isolated corners of the charred surface wastelands, they build little, primitive villages, outside the influence of the Revs' endless Lifter Colonies and the Socs' great underground complexes and fortified trenches that stretch for miles. A Garn village that can somehow acquire an old Lifter Ship is able to survive by trading with both Socs and Revs, but in fact hate them both: they hate the conflict, blame the Socs and Revs for the destruction of the land, and really couldn’t care less whether society exists or doesn't, they just hope the battles don't get too close to them and keep praying the Socs and Revs would all go away and leave them to their simple, nomadic lives.
These perpetual fence-sitters formed small communities around earth and in certain lifter colonies; most of them began as Soc subgroups that had some conflict of interest with the majority of the WSA, but were too attached to their traditional social structures to become Revs. These outcast groups tried to compromise both ideologies, by favoring very tolerant, loosely regulated societies with very simple interaction protocols between individuals. These groups generally fared poorly as neither side wanted much to do with them, although as the world got closer to war the original outcasts were joined by those Socs who didn't buy into the alleged Rev threat and wanted a "live and let live" policy. Once the Nine Days of Fire ended, however, it turned out that these outcasts had been, relatively speaking, the least devastated by the attacks, as neither the Socs nor the Revs viewed the destruction of outcast enclaves as strategically significant. Now, the relative number of outcasts is just barely enough for the Socs and Revs to take note of them, constantly trying to persuade or intimidate the outcasts into joining their side. The future is bleak for the outcasts, because their small numbers and independence make them easy targets should the Socs or Revs decide they want what little land and resources the Garns have left. Although some neo-pacifists have joined the Garns since the outbreak of the civil war, outcast enclaves can also be havens to ambitious megs, escaped Soc criminals, and disenchanted Revs.

Pax Aria: Those Revs calling themselves the "Pax Aria" differ from most others in that they lack the visceral hatred towards Socs that drives their brethren to war. Perhaps members of the Pax Aria have friends or relatives who are Socs, or enjoyed certain aspects of Soc traditions (these Revs often engage in archaic Soc habits for the fun of it), or are simply genetically non-aggressive. In fact, many kind of like the Socs, in the same manner that some people consider goofy animals "cute." Needless to say, these Revs are mostly against the war, although they would never enforce this view upon anyone. A few of the bolder members of Pax Aria have even fled the colonies to ally with those Soc groups that are a little more tolerant (probably out of necessity more than genuine desire to conform).

Shards: With the technology to extract a living creature's electronic brain pattern, duplicate it, and shuffle it around, questions of identity take on a whole new aspect. If someone selects "File --> Copy" on your brain image, which one is the real you? The Shards experiment continuously on their own consciousness, duplicating themselves, changing the desires of these duplicates, exposing them to unusual (often virtual) environments, and then incorporating their experiences back into themselves. Many Shards are considered insane by Soc standards; most have some form of MPD, and occasionally one will spawn off a virulent personality fragment that reproduces itself continuously, spreading through computer systems or even the production of clones. Shards also study the tricky techniques of merging two personalities into one; Shard Divinists seek to join with Josh or Jen, while darker Shards hope to one day rival the King.

Gia-Revs: There are many fearsome, individualistic Revs who care nothing for others, but these pale in comparison with the Gia-Revs. The Gia-Revs feel no need to enforce their views and beliefs on others, but they do not have any problem destroying or manipulating others -- these are the sociopaths of the Rev world, those who sometimes do not even recognize that sentient beings other than themselves exist. Some were made into Revs without their consent, or are creatures created by Josh with an odd mix of psychological elements, while others are imperfect Rev conversions or just plain crazy. Many Gia-Revs resent Josh and actively seek to topple his reign. The Revs have no desire to exile anyone, even someone who actively plotted against Josh. Although, I suppose, if they started to eventually cause actual harm to other Revs’ happiness and well-being, they would be forced to, but it would certainly be a sad day for the Revs when they had to actually "punish" one of their own, something very antithical to their natures. They are often cast out of Lifter Colonies, sent to wander the earth, where they are often more dangerous, especially those that can infiltrate Soc groups and use them to further their own schemes.

The Purified: Society is a virus, a cancer that feeds of humanity. And while offering some temporary benefits, it is slowly killing mankind. It is a symbiotic parasite, one that has become deeply rooted into the soul of humanity, and a few generations of enlightenment and separation is not enough to starve it, Society is dormant within the Revs, but it is not dead. And die it must, even though the path to it’s true death is not an easy one, or so the Purified believe. The Purified are an extremely pious and dedicated order within the Revs who seek to isolate themselves (with only their synth) from all others, that they might free themselves completely of the trappings of anything at all resembling Society. Many are also worshippers of Josh as the God Supreme, and many others also believe in seeking the cosmic truth in addition to totally purifying themselves of Society. They believe that Society is a corruptive and insidious agent that can take hold of the heart of even the most chaotic and loyal Rev, it’s tools are the creeping desire for power and control, and the Purified seek to purify themselves. They meditate on the Chaos inherent in the human soul, examine everything that others take for granted-- every value, every convention, every thought, to see if it is a part of True Humanity or is tainted by the corruption of Society. Of course, all Revs do these things, but The Purified take it to a degree of fanaticism rare even among the Revs, perhaps one of the most zealous and devoted peoples in all of history! The Purified are a strange paradox: an ascetic order at the heart of a pleasure-worshipping anti-society. They still partake in and enjoy pleasure, but as a means to grow closer to True Humanity and live as the random and impulsive animals humans were meant to be. In addition to their meditations, Ascendants also make use of neuro-filtering technology to try and remove all corruption of Society from their souls. It is unknown whether any Purified have yet achieved the ascension of True Humanity. Purified who have not yet entirely committed themselves to the isolated lifestyle serve in Rev anti-society by being agents of greater chaos. Everywhere they go, they make parties more raucous, people more impulsive; they basically encourage Revs to be better Revs. They are also inquisitors of those who seem to be trying to make those around them more like themselves: those suspected of being traitors, or at least corrupted by, Society.

The Uncorrupted: These Socs believe in purity of body, mind, and spirit-- their greatest goal is to preserve the nat

Edited by manowater989, 04 July 2005 - 08:10 AM.

#2 manowater989

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:25 AM

ure of humanity from before it started being polluted by engineering and unnatural alteration. They refuse any cybernetics, genetic enhancements, neural stimulation, or performance-enhancing chemicals, relying on intense training, keen instincts, exercise, the sharpening of the mind, and a fanatical devotion to virtuous behavior. Despite this, they have no fear of high technology, often making use of powered battle suits, heads-up computer displays, and advanced medical systems; their skill and ability to work well in teams would make them one of the strongest Soc groups, if they weren't so small in number. Central to the beliefs of the Old Ones is the paradox that the Universe does not match human desires, causing suffering; the goal of every human should be to maximize their own potential while bearing this suffering in order to overcome those desires which do not match the Universe. They view genetically altered Revs as the ultimate weaklings and cowards, unable to cope with the rigors of existence, but view the War as just another difficulty in an already harsh life.

The Founding Hive: The Founding Hive is the first (hence, Founding) of what President Fisher and his WSA Administration Council hope will be the future of humanity: an answer to the Revs’ Homo caveteus, their own idea of what the next step in human evolution should be, The Founding Hive is the initial Machine- or Nano-Hive. The Founding Hive consists of cybernetic Socs wired together (by Lattice Cells, which is basically what they are now) in constant communication. By connecting themselves directly together, they essentially form a single machine-organism, the individual bodies of which are simply “cells”. They communicate constantly with one another, see out each others' eyes, and even transfer memories and thought, forming perhaps the single most powerful overall mind which has ever existed, perhaps rivaled only by the Revs’ smartest AIs, and maybe Josh himself. Each member of the Hive is basically a node in the system, functioning as a miniature, extremely powerful computer processor, which tracks a multitude of information about the world around them; their nervous system is also wired for high performance. They possess the ability to interface directly with other machines, and can absorb other matter, organisms and devices to add to their Hive, but, so far, only in limited quantities at a time: the Soc nanotechnicians are working overtime to solve that little difficulty. Members of the Hive follow a strict code of behavior, and are obviously unable to act against one another. Because of their role as the perfect embodiment of Soc ideals of logic, conformity, and unfeeling pitilessness, they are typically used as judges and diplomats within Soc society; their role in the war is mostly intelligence, strategy and field communications, but this will almost certainly change as they, and their unstoppable absorption capability, shift more to the forefront of the Socs’ grand design.

Here Continued..
The Infinite Church of the One True God: Fire and brimstone spew from the preachers of this fundamentalist Soc church, a combination of several ancient religions (including elements of Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism -- Christ and Muhammad are both viewed as avatars of the One True God). The followers of the church believe its doctrine is the true path laid out by God, and that all others are blasphemers; humans can only win the War by standing strong, together, following the righteous commands of the Lord. Notably intolerant of other religions, the Infinite Church only wars openly against the reviled Revs, which they call the spawns of Satan himself, and they quite rigorously uphold the earlier proclamation that Josh is in fact the Antichrist, the devil, the lord of darkness, a destroyer of worlds, etc. Despite their aggressive, closed-minded tendencies, Churchgoers can be very compassionate towards their fellow man. The teaming masses of unwashed humanity fall under the purview of the Infinite Church – some as followers, some merely feigning interest. These masses provide infantry troops and manual labor, as well as a great deal of medical support.

Memeticists: At once both the most reviled and most beloved by those around them, the memetic engineers, or memeticists, are masters of thought-space, sculpting living concepts that spread virally through the minds of others in the form of pure ideas. Originally conceived by various Soc factions as ways to conquer their neighbors without bloodshed, even a mildly skilled memetic engineer can throw a country into anarchy, gather people to rally around a cause, or produce a subtle shift in behavior over a broad area. Now, they are masters of the psywar, convincing Soc footsoldiers to give up their lives, ensuring ideological conformity, and in extreme cases, even sowing seeds of serious doubts in the minds of die-hard Revs. The memeticists represent the pinnacle of human deception, manipulation, and insidiousness. They know that language is only 1% of communication, that life imitates art, and that elaborate social structures and instinctual group behavior reinforce one another. Every word spoken by a memeticist -- every vocal inflection, body movement, facial expression – is perfectly timed and applied to lead people towards choices they are not even aware of. Many people don't trust memeticists, despite their natural charm; most Soc leaders communicate with their memetic engineers through triple translated plaintext. Memeticists themselves are very alert and paranoid individuals, undertaking elaborate rituals to ground themselves in reality, reinforce their chosen ideologies, and purge those thoughts that would lead to any change. Allan Fisher is known to have some training in memetic engineering, although most feel that he is at best an amateur.

All of these factions are very much secondary to the Socs and Revs and serve only to show some of the other ideological axes along which humans may organize themselves in such a futuristic society or lack thereof.

“Why shouldn’t they have to live by the same rules the rest of humanity lives by? Of course they think they’re better than us, they think they’re above the law, above everyone else! Why should they have everything and we have nothing? If I have to do it, they should too. Are we just supposed to let them get away with it?”
-A common attitude held by Socs towards Revs before the War

“No, I don’t believe in that ancient crap! No sensible person does, that’s why we all got the hell out of there. The Socs are just obsolete, both with their beliefs and as a species. In fact, society itself is now totally outdated, something I guess they could have never fathomed...but they have to make a big noise and can’t just die out quietly and let us have our fun. Why can’t they just leave us alone? Something will have to be done about it eventually, I’m sure.”
-A common attitude held by Revs towards Socs before the War

Rev Battle Strategy: Total Annihilation. The Revs was founded with the idea of Society’s absolute destruction. From the beginning Josh and his ever-growing circle of followers were enraged by the very notion of Society and made plans to topple it completely by any means necessary: from within, through sabotage and propaganda, from without through sheer force, or in whatever way they could. As the organization grew and become more pragmatic and responsible, their primary focus shifted to ceding from Society, but their hot-blooded urge to utterly destroy it never totally faded. As the organization continued to grow so large to the point where it became an entire nation, this basic mindset didn’t change much, and after the Socs ruthlessly slaughtered over 12 million Revs, certainly no one could blame them for letting this long-suppressed urge flare to its ultimate intensity. In the wars the Socs fought with one another, military planners might have determined priority orders for enemy targets and other such elaborate planning, but the Revs would have none of that. Instead, they decided to fight the war as perhaps no other war in history has been fought, their plan, simple: they sweep across their enemies, destroying all in their path, buildings, terrain, and of course people, anything associated with the Socs is the target of the Revs’ concentrated efforts at annihilation. There are two ways of looking at this strategy, or, more appropriately, lack thereof: one, that there is a reason no one has ever fought a war this way, which is that you cannot win, that you need some kind of plan more detailed than “destroy the enemy”. This is obviously the mode of thinking the Socs are hoping is true. Two, is that the Revs have successfully done many things that no other people in history have ever done, and if they successfully execute this savage strategy, their ultimate victory over the Socs may be so complete and so overwhelming as to really leave no trace of them.

Soc Battle Strategy: Destroy strategic targets. The Socs' main battle plan involves defending their territory long enough to build more bombs to launch up at the Socs, while simultaneously attempting to invade/destroy their Lifter Colonies by less demanding means, namely aircraft fleets. Attempting to lure the Revs down to engage them in areas away from the Socs' cities forms another pivotal component of their strategy.

The Soc battle strategy still needs to be finished, this stuff is basically just to offer some further flavor and opinions.

To flee the Revs’ assaults the Socs dig down, while the Revs grow upward. That would mean a Rev city could be similar to the Gas Mining colonies of Star Wars, and the Soc cities would provide countless mine shafts and sewer ways for Revs to hide out in while going on ground missions.

Lifter Colony Life
Here are some things I could see on a lifter colony: (Credit, once again, goes to 77IM, with some help from me!)

Exquisite Graffiti: Not just spray-painted slogans, but elaborate artwork, optical illusions, talking heads, and spray-painted slogans, pervade, installed by those Revs who wish to express themselves everywhere or just want to make the colony look a little more homey.

Unique Demesnes: Sandwiched together in odd configurations are the homes of various Revs. Tall spires, whirling pods, broad fields, tiny nooks, spacious vehicles, golden domes, and expansive twisting tube networks all serve as the homes and habitats of various Revs. Many have 2 or 3 homes; most dwellings are not terribly large, as Revs have very little stuff to store on a permanent basis (since physical matter is now free and unlimited, hoarding objects no longer makes sense) and no sense of status-consciousness. Border disputes are practically non-existent, and when they do occur they are usually settled peacefully, as location is not very important and all Revs have the resources to move their house to a better spot if the neighbors are getting annoying.

Elegant Drifters: A great many Revs simply choose not to have a permanent home -- it's too much hassle and ties one down. These wander the colonies with their synths, visiting friends, exploring, and working on traveling experiments. They sleep where-ever they happen to be, and rather than storing interesting creations, they store recordings of their atomic structures so that they can be reconstituted by nanos at any time --or simply give them to their synths to carry.

Unending Chorus: Although they are not by necessity social creatures, most Revs enjoy the company of others. Riotous parties, philosophical conversations, experimental music, collaborative art projects, and passionate performances constantly flow across the colony, moving and changing as participants come and go.

Shared Euphoria: (Sorry, this thread needs to maintain its PG-13 rating.)

Cry of Anger: At the edges of the colony depart those Revs who seek battle with the anathema -- the Socs. In wooden lifter ships or under their own psychomotive power, they jet towards the surface to engage their only true enemies.

Final Note: Rev anti-society reminds me a lot of a MOO or a MUCK or that sort of on-line collaborative community -- people are free to create whatever they want, requiring no resources except disk space and no effort except what it takes to specify the objects and behavior desired. Unfortunately, people on such games are rarely angels, and some of the most famous virtual worlds have become bogged down with elaborate legal and political systems to keep people from irritating one another. All that effort, for something that's supposed to be fun!

That's why I keep referring to the Revs’ way of life as an "anti-society." Just as matter and anti-matter are in some ways opposites, yet also share a some traits in common, so too is the anti-society a group of people that generally can't be considered a society, yet is still a group of people.

Campaign Ideas (More partial credit to my perennial collaborator, 77IM)

1. The PCs are a group of supped-up Socs, memetically and genetically engineered, and tasked with infiltrating a Rev lifter colony. The introductory adventure involves sneaking in; later they go on adventures on behalf of the Revs to gain their trust (they are double-agents). But as the campaign builds, the players eventually get to choose between Soc and Rev way of life. This might be a good way to introduce players to the weird, wacky world of Revs in a gradual fashion, rather than dumping it on them all at once.

2. The PCs are Garns, who live by raiding technology from both Socs and Revs. One day they steal the wrong thing, and both sides come after them to get it back.
They have to understand what the technology is and how to use it and decide what to do -- do they just give in? This group of Garns is well-equipped enough to deal with small Soc or Rev threats. The stolen tech must be something super ninja cool, like time travel, or a positive energy device that could restore the Earth.

3. The PCs are a group of Revs, who learn of a Soc plot that could threaten the entire world/solar system. They must sneak into Geneva (Socland) and thwart it. They are aided by Socs who understand the threat but can't take overt action against it because of political reasons. Basically, some Revs and Socs have to transcend their differences to overcome a larger issue.

4. It's a war! PCs are a Special Forces group for one side or the other, killing and blowing stuff up, and trying desperately to win the day for their side. They could be a party of just a few in a huge battle involving millions of combatants, or they could be the stars, perhaps starting some huge battles of their own.

5. It's Opposite Day! PCs are Revs trying to ferret out a group of Soc infiltrators (opposite of scenario 1), are Socs or Revs out to recover technology stolen by Garns (scenario 2), or are Socs trying to prevent a bunch of Revs and Socs from thwarting a scheme that they mistakenly believe will destroy the solar system (scenario 3).

(The rest of these are mine only, owing no credit to 77IM)
1. Footsloggers- The PCs start out at first level and are rank-and-file troopers for one side or the other. They most likely are not teleks, nanotechnicians, and may even have only limited genetic enhancements. They are thrust into brutal and horrible war, and must decide what to do. Should they simply fight as they are ordered (for Socs) or as all their brethren are (for Revs), should they try to abandon and strike off on their own, try to get promoted, or what? This is a variation on them being Special Forces guys, instead, they are just a few among thousands, I've always kind of liked the "plight of the little guy".

2. Exploration- This could easily develop from the above campaign, or any of the others you listed. A party that was originally doing something else suddenly finds themselves marooned somewhere that is probably deserted with no easy way of getting back. It could be an old, abandoned Lifter Colony or the endless wastes of the dusty, desolate surface, far from the Socs bunkers, but wherever it is, they are left there with no choice but to start walking.

3. Command- Why not a tactical game? This creates some interesting roleplaying possibilities. The PCs are command HQ of a much larger force of npcs (soldiers) whom they command. They may fight physically in battle themselves, but they are far more likely to turn the tide of war with shrewd planning and orders of troop movement and enemy positions to attack.

Here is my first attempt at doing up the "Telek" class. This will undoubtedly be heavily revised and edited before it reaches it's final form, but, this is my "rough draft", anyway. Next time, I'll be doing up the Race write-ups for Socs, Revs, and Garns- even though they are all basically humans, I feel they are different enough to each merit their own race. I'm making the martial and largely subterranean Socs have some more Dwarven-like traits, the expressive and ethereal Revs posses more Elf-like adaptations, and the Garns, although most similar to PhB humans, will have a few extra bonuses to reflect their surviving in a harsh and unforgiving world.

TELEK
The fastest path into this advanced class is from the Dedicated hero basic class, though other paths are possible. A good Wisdom is recommended to allow access to higher level powers.
Requirements
To qualify to become a Telek, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Psicraft 6 ranks
Feat: Focused
Special: Must have received special genetic alteration allowing use of telemanipulative powers.
Class Information
The following information pertains to the Telek advanced class.
Hit Die
The Telek gains 1d6 hit points per level. The character’s Constitution modifier applies.
Action Points
The Telek gains a number of action points equal to 8+ one-half his character level, rounded down, every time he attains a new level in this class.
Class Skills
The Telek’s class skills are as follows.
Mental Mastery (Wis), Concentration (Con), Psicraft (Int), Pathic Flux (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Profession (Wis), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Craft (Matter & Energy) (Int), Intuitive Manipulation (Wis) Skill Points at Each Level: 5 + Wis modifier.
Class Features
The following features pertain to the Telek advanced class.
Psionic Skills
A Telek has access to the following psionic skills. These skills are considered class skills for the Telek, and he can use his skill points to buy ranks in them, just like other skills in the game.
Mental Mastery (Wis): Trained only. You have mastered your mind to the point where you can manipulate your own thoughts, emotions, memories, and reactions to stimulus.
Concentration (Con): The normal Concentration skill expands to include psionic and telemanipulative applications.
Psicraft (Int): Trained only. Use this skill to identify telemanipulative powers as they are used or psionic effects already in place.
Pathic Flux (Wis): You have developed your mind to be especially adept at generating the kind of powerful thoughts that manifest as telekinetic powers.
Telekinetic Powers
The Telek’s main strength is his ability to use telekinetic or “telemanipulative” powers. Telek powers require energy points to use. A Telek’s level as well as combined Int and Wis scores limit the number of energy points available for using powers. In addition, use of powers often necessitates different die rolls. When attempting to use a power, you must make a control roll to initiate the specific power: The DC to control the power is 1d20 + the user’s level + key ability score (key ability for most telek powers, unless involving complex manipulation or detailed organization, is Wis). Then another roll must be made based upon its’ desired effect, for example, a normal ranged weapon attack. The DC for the power's effect is based upon 3 categories: Range, Power, and Type, each one adds a variable amount to the DC. The DC for saving throws to resist a telemanipulative power is 10 + the user’s level + the Telek’s key ability modifier. The base number of energy points available per day is simply based on the Telek’s level. This number is improved by bonus points determined by the Telek’s Wisdom and Intelligence scores. The number of energy points needed to use a power is based on its' key ability modifier. Self-Damage: Projecting powers, something the human mind was never actually meant to do, can be dangerous for the user as well as the target. When using any power that has an equivalent effectiveness to a PhB power 3 or more levels above the Telek’s current user level, he is automatically dazed for 1d4 rounds and receives 1d6 subdual damage. When using any power that has an equivalent effectiveness to a PhB power 5 or more levels above the Telek’s current user level, he is stunned for 2d4 rounds and receives 2d6 subdual damage and 1d6 Wis temporary ability damage. Furthermore, every time a Telek uses a power, he must roll 1d%. A percentage of 20 or lower means he automatically suffers the effects of using a power with an equivalent effectiveness to a PhB power 3 or more levels above his current user level, regardless of whether he is or not. He still suffers the effects of actually using a power with an equivalent effectiveness to a PhB power 3 or 5 levels above his current user level if he actually is. However, the Telek is able to then use other, separate powers to heal subdual damage or temporary ability damage.
Favored Powers
Any time a Telek creates and uses a power, his player has the option to jot down or simply remember it’s stats and effects. At any future time, he may then use that power again, with the same parameters as before. A power that is used at least twice can be given a name, and, with a successful Psicraft roll of 15+ the power’s key ability modifier, is thereafter considered “memorized”, and can be used at any time without penalty. At 2nd, 5th, and 8th (and so on..) level, the Telek chooses one telekinetic power from among his memorized list that he can attempt to use for no energy point cost- which become “favored” powers. At each of these levels, you select one power you can use. From that point on, you can attempt to use that power without paying its cost. To use a power, you must have enough energy points to cover the normal cost of the power use. You do not have to make an ability check to use a favored power, the power is generated with no cost in energy points.
Bonus Feats
At 6th (and so on..) level, the Telek gets a bonus feat. The bonus feat must be selected from the following list, and the Telek must meet all the prerequisites of the feat to select it. At 3rd level, the Telek gets Inner Strength as a Bonus Feat. At 9th level, the Telek gets Power Knowledge as a Bonus Feat.
Alertness, Attentive, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Confident, Creative, Deceptive, Frightful Presence, Iron Will, Renown, Combat Reflexes, Improved Projection, Enlarge Power, Extend Power, Power Penetration, Greater Power Penetration, Psionic Focus, Greater Psionic Focus, Power Multiplier, Chaotic Mind
Combat Telekinesis
Teleks are always adept at utilizing powers in combat as a class feature. He gets a +8 bonus on Concentration checks to use a power while on the defensive.
Miniusing
At 4th level, a Telek has gotten so habituated to using powers that, without even realizing it, he continually uses minor powers which aid him in subtle ways and surround him at all times. With this class feature, the Telek receives automatic bonuses to different situations, for example, crossing difficult terrain would get easier since the Telek is unconsciously, telekinetically flattening slightly the ground beneath his feet.
Leveled Projection
At 7th level, a Telek can adapt any power that he can use into a more powerful version of itself, with appropriately higher energy point cost, control DC, and level of effectiveness. (Counts as a different power, the same as Concussion and True Concussion are different powers). Using a Leveled Projection of a power negates the ordinary effects of using Powers that have an equivalent effectiveness to a PhB power 3 or 5 levels above the Telek’s current user level, but the Telek must still make the 1d% roll for any power, and continues to suffer the effects of using a power with an equivalent effectiveness to a PhB power 3 or more levels above his current user level on a roll of 20 or lower.
Imbued Synth
If the Telek has a bonded Synth, he can imbue her with some of his psionic power specially attuned to him. Telepathically imbuing the Synth takes 1 hour and requires that both Telek and Synth have full HP and EP (if the Synth doesn’t have EP, it doesn’t have to be full), no diseases or damage, and perform no other psionic actions for that hour. He can imbue her with energy points and memorized powers for storage, use her mind as an added component for powers that require multiple users, and even gain a bonus to Int or Wis based on the Synth’s personality type.
Maximize Projection
By 10th level, a Telek has learned to use telemanipulative powers to maximum effect. All variable, numeric effects of a maximized power automatically achieve their maximum values. A maximized power deals the most possible points of damage, affects the maximum number of targets, and so forth, as appropriate. Saving throws and opposed checks are not affected. Powers without random variables are not affected. A maximized power costs a number of power points equal to its normal cost +3.
Perfect Mind
At 13th level, a Telek’s powered mind has become so potent that it is fortified against any type of damage. He becomes permanently immune to any type of mind-affecting effect, including effects such as mind-transfer (but not illusions so long as they are not created within the target’s mind), automatically wins Telek mind-combat, no longer suffers any of the Self-Damage effects of using powers, and is protected against any loss of mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha except for physical appearance.) A Telek can voluntarily lower his Perfect Mind effects at any time.

Telek mind-combat: When a Telek uses a power that would affect another Telek’s mind and the target is able to perceive it and counter it (Psicraft check, DC 5) they enter mind-combat. Mind-combat is resolved by the 2 Teleks rolling opposed Wisdom checks against each other. (the defender may voluntarily fail his Wis check if he wishes to.) If the winner is the attacker, he is able to project his effect into the target’s mind normally. If the defender wins, he stops the power and it has no effect, but the attacker still expends the energy points that he used.

And here are some “memorizable” specific Powers I’ve thought up, just off the bat. Anyway, more next time.
Agitation Grenade
Cellular Fortification
Concussion
Sculpted Telekinesis
Telekinetic Tools
Levitate
Telekinesis

Power categories:
Telekinesis (lifting and hurling objects remotely; flight)
Advanced Telekinesis (force fields; gravity control; fine manipulation; fluid/gas manipulation)
Autokinesis (moving your own body: super-strength, super-agility, super-speed, super-toughness, etc.)
Transmutation (changing molecular and atomic structures)
Psychometabolism (manipulating bodily systems, hormones, enzymes; rapid healing)
Psychogenetics (Advanced Psychometabolism; modifying genetic structure; causes viruses, mutations, shape changes, cures diseases)
Pyrokinesis (heat and cold; freezing things, causing fires and explosions)
Electrokinesis (electricity and magnetism; lightning bolts; stunning; EMP; controlling electronic devices)
Photokinesis (light manipulation; laser beams, illusions, invisibility)
Telepathy (remote viewing; remote viewing into the past; predicting the future; communicating telepathically; mind-reading; charm person)
Advanced Telepathy (Remote viewing over vast distances; seeing far past & future; total mind-linking; mental domination).

The next thing that is almost done is the Nanotechnician advanced class, the Telek's Soc counterpart. Following closely behind that are the complete racial stats for Socs, Revs, and Garns. They're all pretty much human, but the Revs are more elf-like and have random genetic enhancements and bonded Synths, the Socs are more dwarf-like and are very tough and also very organized and excellent with mechanical technology, and the Garns are the closest of all to standard humans. Anyway, however, the most important thing to me now with respect to CoF's further development is the founding of a dedicated webpage for it.

Now for the BIG updates. These are some new area descriptions for Garn locations. Credit for these goes to 77IM, my own descriptions for the main Soc/Rev areas will be shortly forthcoming.

Greenhaven
A large, island resort country, home to picturesque landscapes, amazing animals, high-tech entertainment equipment, the vacation spot known as "Madagascar" was left relatively unscathed during the opening volleys of the war, although it was cut off from most of its supply network. At the time, most of the vacationers were wealthy scientists and entrepreneurs -- those who wanted nothing to do with the growing tension between Earth and the Heavens. When the dust cleared, they declared themselves the Free Nation of the Natural Havens, also known as Greenhaven, and announced neutrality in the war.

The Garns of Greenhaven, including some of the most brilliant scientific minds from the former African Confederacy, are relatively technologically advanced and have been able to defend themselves well enough that neither the Socs nor Revs are able to conquer them. Both sides are overtly on good terms with Greenhaven in the hopes they will recruit an ally, while Greenhaven still relies on outside support for certain technologies.

Life in Greenhaven

Most of the residents of Greenhaven are ordinary humans -- the upper echelons of society from the former African Confederacy, plus tourists from around the world. Quite a few of them have some form of genetic modification, although only a few of them have been modified by Rev genetics (most of these are former Revs whose extreme pacifist leanings prompted them to leave the colonies). A heterogeneous bunch from the start, the people of Greenhaven quickly learned to put aside their cultural differences in order to survive in the aftermath of the 9 Days of Fire. Their unifying drive is a desire to stay out of the war and maintain peace internally.

Most Garns in Greenhaven are involved in maintaining life support -- hydroponic farming, water and waste processing, and energy production. A significant number of them are scientists and engineers, researching clever solutions to the island's problems. Greenhaven has a relatively small standing defense force, although all its’ residents are ready and willing to pick up arms should an incursion appear imminent. Finally, many residents travel the world in search of lost bits of technology that could further protect Greenhaven.

Greenhaven tries to operate as a political refuge -- anyone, Soc or Rev, is welcome. In practice, though, the Socs and Revs typically send spies and agitators into Greenhaven, who need to be ferreted out. The small government uses no technology in this, instead relying on old-fashioned intuition and sound security procedures. Each citizen of Greenhaven must swear a simple oath; those who break the oath are no longer considered citizens and no longer protected by it:

"I swear, by all that is meaningful in my life, to defend the sovereignty of the Free Nation of the Natural Havens; to not harm, harass, take advantage of, steal from, spy upon, or silence my fellow Citizens and foreign Diplomats; to uphold the law and maintain the peace; and to respect the rights, will, and beliefs of others, as a Citizen of the Natural Havens."

The government is very small. Locally elected Sheriffs maintain the peace, overseen by Mayors who serve as judges and manage shared concerns. These are appointed by the Council, a body of 12 people elected yearly by the entire populace to make decisions that affect the entire country and set foreign policy. There are few laws -- mostly government initiatives such as defense, management of common resources, and protecting individual rights.

All of Greenhaven celebrates the Day of Remembrance on the Vernal Equinox, a day of mourning for those who have passed and thanks for those who remain. On the Winter Solstice is the Festival of Dawn, a celebration of the upcoming year, with lots of feasts, dancing, and gift-giving. There are also many smaller sects with their own holidays and rites (such as "Christmas" held just after the Summer Solstice).

One cultural tradition that is strictly upheld throughout all of Greenhaven is the rite of marriage, in which two or more people exchange gold or silver rings before witnesses. Married people are allowed free use of each others' property, but adultery is a crime (for both the adulterer and anyone else involved in the tryst). Divorce is a simple matter of returning the rings before witnesses.

Greenhaven has no official currency, but uses officially stamped coins and bars of precious metals for trade.

Technology of Greenhaven

Beastsingers: Developed late in the 21st Century, psychosonics is the science of using sound to influence living creatures, by stimulating the nervous and endocrine system with sub-sonic vibrations and by using complex sounds to implant suggestions directly into the brain. Used extensively by certain Soc factions, the Revs are naturally reviled at the very thought of controlling someone's mind using any means. The Garns of Greenhaven, though, have developed a unique use for psychosonics -- applying the technology to the manipulation of animals (never humans). These Beastsingers carry a small device known as a songstone -- a metallic crystalline amulet that responds to the voice of the user to project sound waves that trigger various responses in animals, from frenzied fury to docile subservience. Combined with a rigid training regiment and a healthy dose of genetic engineering, domesticated animals can bond with their masters to a hitherto fore unknown degree. Wild animals can also be directed, but only given simple commands; they can be made calm or directed to like or dislike certain individuals, but that is about it. Greenhaven is a vibrant land with a multitude of plants and animals, including many large, dangerous predators that have been harnessed by the Beastsingers as mounts and guardians.
Fellwings: Giant, pterodactyl-like creatures with enormous wing strength used as flying mounts, Fellwings require too much food for widespread use.
Dirhino: A massive, woolly creature resembling a rhinoceros with longer, running legs and two giant, curved horns side-by-side protruding from its nose. Used as mounts and beasts of burden.
Grabling: Evolved from a lemur, the brown-and-black striped Grabling is remarkably intelligent, and can be trained in a variety of tasks, from unlocking doors to disarming simple electronic devices.
Telus: A sleek, furred predator, with able olfactory nerves, a mean snarl, hooves, and a snout, the Telus is a fearsome and efficient offshoot of wild boars. Commonly used for tracking, antipersonnel, and guarding.

Magnetes: Monopolar technology is functionally similar to lifter tech, except that it only affects metals and other magnetic substances. With much lower energy requirements than lifter tech and the ability to create more precisely shaped fields, portable monopolar devices can create a variety of "telemagnetic" effects. Some of these weapons and devices, most notably the Shredder, are utilized extensively by the Revs who developed them, but they have taken on a special role and undergone some changes in their capacity within Greenhaven’s use. A Magnete, for example, is a slang term for a soldier or warrior who makes extensive use of monopolars. Massive monopolar engines also form part of Greenhaven's defensive line, batting Soc jets out of the air.
Shredder: This monopolar device is now quite different from the Rev form upon which it was originally based, and with which it shares a name.
Unlike it’s Rev cousin, (which is worn on the hand as a gauntlet-type weapon) the Greenhaven Shredder is worn on the chest, and contains a bucketload of small metal fibers, (as opposed to larger scraps of metallic shrapnel) which are then manipulated at high speeds by computer controls (as opposed to simply being propelled directly at whatever’s in front of it), usually ripping even the most heavily armored opponents to pieces (which remains the same no matter what type of Shredder you’re referring to).
Strongarm: Worn on the arm, these devices can lift heavy objects at a distance and can be used to swing them around at high speeds, or to launch projectiles like a rail gun. Often come equipped with a heavy metal spiked ball (called a maul), a spinning saw-toothed blade (glaive), or a metal javelin.
Spider: This monopolar suit (made entirely of plastic!) can be used to propel the wearer at high speeds and protect him from impact with metal objects (including bullets). It works best in an area with lots of metal, such as inside a Soc base, and has very reduced movement capabilities in natural areas (including most Lifter Colonies and most of Greenhaven).

Posidynes: The best-kept secret in all of Greenhaven is its experimental Posidyne engine, based on stolen Rev Negadyne technology. A bubble of Posidyne energy shields the island and is largely responsible for negating the effects of the Negadyne bombs during the 9 Days of Fire, as well as promoting plant and animal growth in the present day by allowing organisms to quickly heal from damage suffered from lingering nuclear radiation. The younger generation of Greenhaven -- now entering their teens -- are starting to display extraordinary physical capabilities: enhanced senses, rapid healing, immense strength, and unearthly grace and agility. Most people are unaware of the scope of these abilities, attributing their children's prowess to the difficult environment in which they were raised.

The Labyrinth

In the long, dark days of the War and long after, there was a sarcastic saying that something had “the luck of The Labyrinth”, or was “about as lucky as The Labyrinth”- it meant something that might have seemed lucky at the time, but turned out not to be good at all. The story of this phrase can be traced back to the city of Beijing, China. A modern, high-tech center of research and industry: the densely populated city of Beijing was one of the first and largest domed cities. As surface area waned and towers grew ever skyward, the decision was made to go 3-D, and Beijing became a tangled mass of structural supports, transport tubes, and modular building units, all encased in a massive metallic dome. A center of higher learning, industry, and culture, the massive city was one of the first targeted during the 9 Days of Fire. Detecting the incoming ordinance, the city security forces activated the shutter system, shielding the dome in massive polymer plates. The alarms never sounded, however, and most people assumed it was a drill, until the explosions began. Although missile-intercept systems were able to impact the majority of falling stars dropped by the CinderStars so that they scorched the skies above the city rather than their intended targets on the ground, several low-atmosphere detonations were enough to collapse the dome inward, turning the city into a misshapen lump of tangled metal and synthetics. That's when the Negadyne bomb went off. It was suppose to be hit with a High-Yield Negadyne in the very opening hours of The 9 Days along with all of the Earth's other big capitals: Washington, London, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Cape Town (capital of the African Confederacy), Moscow, etc. No one, except perhaps Josh himself, knows exactly what happened that day, or what went wrong, but for some reason, of all the great cities on Earth, Beijing alone was spared complete annihilation: the Negadyne that was intended for it wound up being detonated almost 1,000 miles to the west. It was still close enough to extinguish every life in the city, but left it’s physical form mostly standing as a silent and eerie reminder of it’s terrible past. And this, they called lucky.

Features of the Labyrinth

Although the dome and structural supports were rendered completely useless by multiple CinderStars, the tube-and-bubble construction of the interior units proved remarkably resilient, producing miles upon miles of dangerous twisting passages known as the Labyrinth. Measuring some 9 miles wide and 3 miles high (about half below-ground), the Labyrinth is a dark and terrifying place of jagged metal, nasty creatures, and malfunctioning technology.

University Research Center: Some of the most cutting edge-projects in Soc science were conducted here, from genetic engineering to artificial intelligence to space flight advances. Formerly a sprawling, mid-level complex near the center of the city, the URC is now the most popular destination for Soc and Rev scavenger teams hoping to recover some of the lost secrets.

Central Processing Center: This facility, located on the south part of the lower level, was a hub for recycling and water reclamation, as well as the distribution of raw materials to various parts of the city (conducted through pressurized pipes). It is now suffused with toxic sludge, and home to many of the Labyrinth's most dangerous denizens. Still, items lost in the maze often manage to end up here, sucked through ancient drains or carried back by semi-functioning maintenance bots.

Power Core: A simple, clean, fusion reactor once operated at the outskirts of the city; located on the lower levels, this warm area also housed some hydroponic food production (mostly rice, seaweed, and modified soy beans). Now, it is a prime breeding ground for mutant creatures and a major food source for scruffs.

Inhabitants of the Labyrinth

Scruffs: The Scruffs are a great example of a typical, primitive Garn civilization that has partially rebuilt in the aftermath of The 9 Days Of Fire. After the initial confusion of the war, people from outlying areas traveled back to the cities, hoping for supplies or possibly riches. What they found was much worse, yet they had no place to go back to. They adopted a primitive life style amongst the ruins, adapting to their new setting and binding together for protection, and so the Garns of the Labyrinth are now known as the Scruffs. A half-dozen tribes of these ragged people live within the Labyrinth, feasting on simple vegetables, certain edible creatures, and the output of the remaining functional food processors. A highly superstitious and miserable people, most would gladly kill an outsider simply to loot their corpse for supplies, although some have been known to hire out as guides in return for durable goods (like laser guns and magnetic boots).

Myxomycetes: These large, blobular creatures ooze along the floors, walls and ceilings, eating any organic matter they come across. Although they can form pseudopods, their main defense is an acidic spray which they also use to digest food. They only attack living creatures in self-defense but will happily eat any fallen foes.

Relts: Large, lumpy, hairless, often purple mutant rats, relts are usually only dangerous in large numbers. They are fairly quick and crafty and navigate the Labyrinth well. Their skin is bulbous and mushy, and when damaged an eruption of blood and puss sprays out, frightening predators and spreading disease.

Polyps: On the surface above the Labyrinth, a broad-leafed vine spreads under the sun. But its roots reach deep into the metal terrain in search of nutrient. Sinewy tentacles covered in tiny, toothy, mouthlike openings, polyp roots have been known to grow thousands of feet in search of a good food supply. Nearer the surface they are more mobile, and actively trap prey. Polyp fruits and leaves are edible and are a major food supply for scruffs.

Scuttlebots: A variety of maintenance and custodial drones still operate, clamoring through the tunnels hopelessly confused, some trying to repair the debris that others are trying to cart off. Certain clever scruffs have been able to co-opt scuttlebots into their service, and those who've been to the URC say that the automatons in that area move with an eerie cohesion, as if possessing a group mind.

Wraiths: Like a person's shadow burned into concrete by a nuclear blast, a wraith is a brain pattern image created by exposure to the negative energy of the Negadyne bombs. When the Negadyne hit, most people were completely destroyed, their bodies and minds consumed utterly. Maybe 96% were simply gone. Of the remaining 4%, probably 3% had their bodies destroyed instantly, but their minds were preserved in wraith form, so they became wraiths instantly. Less than 1% were probably far enough away from ground zero to avoid having their physical forms instantly annihilated but to still be killed and rise again as zombies then decay into wraiths-- these were the incorporeal creatures of swirling darkness that started their lives as zombies, but quickly decayed into skeletons and then mere shadows. Deranged and full of hatred, wraiths are degenerate energy creatures that seek only to destroy the living. Although they possess weak telekinetic powers, their lingering negative energy is more dangerous. A wraith can envelop a person, draining their life force and turning them into a zombie (and later, they will emerge into a wraith). Doing so damages the wraith, and often destroys it -- the amount of negative energy within the Labyrinth is a constant -- but most wraiths do not care.

Wraiths can be damaged by energy weapons -- plasma, lasers, fire, electricity, telekinetic force, etc. They have a strong aversion to bright light and magnetic and electrical fields -- many scruff camps are surrounded by wires bearing weak current, and many scruffs carry magnets with them to ward off wraiths. They are not common in the URC or the CPC because of the electronic machinery there.

The undead instinctively stick to darkness, even if their minds are so far gone. Those that remain have been growing steadily less in number, although no one knows if they are slowly fading away from lack of negative energy or are being destroyed by some force. Scruff superstition holds that weak wraiths can combine to form a larger wraith, and that a massive wraith-entity is forming in the lower levels of the Labyrinth to some day consume the world.

The CinderStars, by the way, are a specialized type of Lifter Ship. Unlike all other Lifter Ships, the Cinder Stars have a metallic rather than wooden construction, and instead of being designed like ancient sailing galleons, they are shaped more like gliding pyramids. At the heart of each CinderStar is an approximately 10-foot diameter ball of densely concentrated, pure plasma, a miniature sun surrounded by cooling crystals so it doesn't melt the craft. When the ship is ready to attack, an electromagnetic field essentially tears pieces out of this star and drops them down below, they expand greatly once released from the field, and impact their target with high-energy explosions, massive splash or spread radius of the starfire itself, and almost supernaturally high temperatures, enough to melt mountains into seas of magma in a few seconds. They're essentially bombers, designed to completely destroy large tracts of land and quickly decimate heavily fortified structures.

The Panopticon

One of the miracles of Soc science before their downfall, the Panopticon is comprised of millions of microscopic nanites floating through the low atmosphere simply observing the world around them. The ultimate monitoring device, the Panopticon sees all, hears all, and records all, for all of time.

Built in the United States at the height of Soc dominion, the Panopticon was the "final solution" to problems of terrorism, crime, espionage, and fraud. A joint project built by a consortium of industrialized nations, the Panopticon was built with elaborate security protocols to allow each country to monitor activities only within their own borders; the Panopticon was also sponsored by certain major corporations who were able to monitor only their own employees. (By this time, however, the surface nations were already becoming less concerned about eachother and more concerned about the Revs. This pall of relative peace that settled over the world as terrestrial nations entered into unprecedented cooperation and alliance could certainly be considered the calm before the storm.) Although the few remaining civil rights groups who still bothered to even try to reason with the Socs voiced objections, most people had more fear of terrorism than of tyrannical abuses.
Except, of course, for the Revs -- but they were already busy isolating themselves in the lifter colonies. (Most people who would have been protesters or activists 50 years earlier were now simply joining the Revs in droves to show their dissatisfaction.)

A Panopticon nanomachine, affectionately called a "bug," looks something like a dust mite, but with a single large eye on the front surrounded by a ring of antenna-like sensors. These are joined by maintenance bugs (which also replicated the bugs) and node bugs which store and transmit data. A 10-foot cube of air typically contains around 100 sensor bugs, which float around, reeling and wiggling, recording visual, auditory, and thermal data. This data is relayed via microlaser to node bugs, which correlate data from sensor bugs into a 3-D reconstruction of the area. Node bugs store the data by clumping together onto crystalline structures built by maintenance bugs. These crystals serve as a memory device for the node bugs. All data is replicated between to nearby "nodes" on an ongoing basis; these nodes form a network around the planet. Information is usually ready in a local node within 1-3 seconds, and goes worldwide within a minute. The largest node is called the Optic Core, a giant underground crystal forest crawling with bugs. The location of the Optic Core is a closely guarded Soc secret.

Soc engineers who work on the Panopticon are called "watchers." The Panopticon has been co-opted from its original purpose and is now the primary terrestrial intelligence mechanism for the Socs. The Panopticon watches almost the entire world, and its memory banks stretch back to its creation (thanks to good compression algorithms), but sifting through the data is largely a manual task -- the Panopticon itself contains no logic for actually recognizing what it is looking at. Even with computer aid, the Socs still need to have an idea where to look in order to discover something using the Panopticon.

So far, bugs have been unable to climb into the upper atmosphere to Celestia, (in fact, they can only rise up a few thousand feet, some high mountains are even above their sphere of vision, making mountaintops prime gathering places for those who wish to avoid the gaze of both the Panopticon and Josh) and the few attempts to implant bugs directly into a Lifter Colony were quickly discovered and "cleansed." However, the Revs have had little luck clearing the things out of the surface world. Like all physical matter, the bugs are quickly annihilated by Negadyne bombs, but the cost in energy and resources to attempt to wipe them out that way would be prohibitive. (In fact, the areas affected by the RNE that the Negadynes left behind are also beyond the bugs’ vision, as the negative energy not only interferes with the nanites themselves but also quickly eats up the microlasers they use to communicate, making it difficult and, ultimately, impossible for them to gain an accurate picture of these areas.) Hand-to-hand combat is right out for obvious reasons; CinderStars can clear areas quickly, but they also reduce everything in the area to raw slag, which maintenance bugs use to replicate at amazing speeds. Certain Teleks can also use "selectively permeable force membranes" to create bug-free bubbles around themselves, and can also “trick” the devices by feeding them invalid sensory input, although these effects last only as long as the Telek concentrates on them; they may also be able to destroy large areas of them outright, but more will always come. The security of the system is fairly good, and thus far the Revs have been unable to tap into the Panopticon and turn it against its creators, but most believe it is only a matter of time. (Finding the Optic Core would speed up this initiative greatly -- or allow someone to introduce a virus that could wipe out the entire bug population...) The Panopticon is another component of the Socs’ nano-based idea of a Machine-Hive future for humankind, and they are currently working on integrating The Founding Hive and the Panopticon, along with many of their other systems (dare they link them to the potentially uncontrollable Zero Option cloud they are considering creating, or perhaps that was their plan all along?) into a singular entity that they can mobilize as a serious threat to the Revs.

[The Panopticon allows the Socs to use some scrying and clarivoyance/clariaudience effects, as well as research an area's history. These would primarily be Nanotechnician powers. Because of the security clearance issues, better powers might not be available to low-level characters.]

Core City

(A note on the text: This excerpt is from a time period many decades, if not up to a century or more, after the initial compilation and the beginning of The War- a time when, it is important to note, the ecclesiastical tradition of the Divine Order had become deeply ingrained in the Rev way of life.)

“I had trodden the pilgrim’s path. Up had I journeyed, ever further towards blessed heaven itself, through the glorious shrines and artifices of my most holy Order. I had seen the many-sphered splendors of Osyra, the bejeweled cathedral of Solanna, the shining gates of Kunepsis, sailing the ever-rising route skyward, the Stairway To Heaven, as it is called. And so it is that I, a humble but pious servant of Josh, was able to stand upon the deck of that Golden Lifter just as it peeked above the uppermost Highest Clouds, and gaze in silent worship and wonder at that bright and shining zone. That resplendent, holy place with the silvery blackness hanging above, the white light of stars on one side and the yellow glow of the fading sun on the other, each reflecting, each playing off the highest towers’ mirror-like, golden surfaces, and yet, each utterly paling in comparison with the blinding, radiant glow of Heaven itself: a sacred radiance that suffused this whole place like a bright and empty nimbus of brilliance. I could see the famed Cloud Tower: a helix of vapors drawn upward from the normal limit of clouds far below, as if in some way attracted to the Heaven, to gently swirl around its’ colossal base almost as if they were supporting it somehow. I could see that place which all Divinists dream about and hold in regard above all others: The Divine Palace, the tower of God, a shining spike of pure radiance that rises up directly from the very Core of the Core. Most of all, I could feel the infinite power of Josh pouring forth from this most holy place, the glowing, golden radiance that is His love, His power, and His glory. When I saw it, I knew: truly, of all the sanctified Heavens that Josh has made for His faithful to dwell within, none is so blessed as the very throne of God himself: Core City!”

- From the journals of Sentine Calgurius, Devoted Divine Cleric

Core City is the capital of the Rev nation of Great Heavens. It is here that Josh holds His throne and that the armies and principles of the Revs pour forth from, indeed, Core City is the very heart and soul of everything that Revs hold dear. It is aptly named, as it forms physically as well as metaphorically the center of all the Lifter Colonies-- a fact that can be clearly seen from higher orbit, where the swirling interval-pattern that the other Colonies take around Core City becomes visibly evident. The closer one gets to Core City, the more Colonies one finds, such that they essentially surround it like a cloud from all directions. In size, the city is truly vast: recognized even (grudgingly) by the Socs as the largest single populated area of any kind left in the world, in addition, it is almost certainly the largest thing ever built. It’s total land area is equal to that of a tiny continent. Its’ baseplate, expanded in size by many millions of times since it’s original creation as a floating resort, is also the largest single object on Earth. It was constructed (mostly) from scrapped pieces of the colossal but forever unfinished trans-atlantic railline the Socs had been attempting to build, combined with nano-mined out deposits of the last remaining major veins of iron ore-bearing hematite from China, Brazil, and
Australia, which Great Heavens bought in massive quantities from these countries before the WSA was formed.

The city itself is a vast metropolis bustling with both activity and reverence, and, of course, the ever-present brilliance of purity. Its’ appearance from above is like that of circular mirror of shining gold, but one with a spike of pure radiance thrust through the center which has caused the mirror to melt and bubble. In truth, these dome-like “bubbles” are the structures of Core City, a result of the Revs’ preferred building method: partially an attempt to strikingly differentiate their cities from the boxy grids of the Socs’ design, partially a result of the ENP (Environmental Nanopresence) Assemblers’ most efficient method of construction. The dome-bubbles range in size from small hollowed-out hill types that form Revs’ homes to ever-increasing magnitudes as you move closer to the core of Core City: taller bubbles give way to tower-like domes that serve as ministratum centers, growing ever higher but always maintaining their spherical “round-top” shape, and all are clad in the same metallic sheen which constantly reflects and amplifies the seemingly ambient holy light of the place, and echoes with the far-off sound of celestial choirs chanting in the distance.

The Great Bubble Sea

It's a warm tropical ocean, and one of the Revs’ greatest terrestrial strongholds. It was never heavily Soc-colonized because of its poor resources, and during the war, the water shielded the Rev colonies from most of the nuclear radiation. The colonies there are dome-like “bubbles,”: a result of the Revs’ preferred building method: partially an attempt to strikingly differentiate their cities from the boxy grids of the Socs’ design, partially a result of the ENP (Environmental Nanopresence) Assemblers’ most efficient method of construction. ;) The Revs that live in the Great Bubble Sea are even weirder than most Revs. They are more content to ignore their neighbors and just float along happily; many are not even vaguely human in form (and those that are, often have Synths in the shape of dolphins or other marine life). It's like the buoyant environment frees these people from more than just gravity; most are happy playing, exploring, and creating works of art (few of them are involved in the war). However, some of the most dangerous psychopathic Revs also hang out here, as the place lacks even the informal, vigilante-imposed stricture against harming others of most lifter colonies. It's said that many of Josh's more unusual genetic creations also found peace in the Great Bubble Sea.

And Here's The Big Thing That's New...
Last but certainly not least is something that I just now created (complete credit for this goes to me): an overall timeline of this entire universe. It's not just for the era described here (War Of The Fates) but covers the entire CoF timeline I have planned out, from present day to the apocalypse. Enjoy!

COF Overall Timeline: (Broken Down By Ages)
The Modern World: (Present Day) An age dominated utterly by Society, before Josh began his rebellion. Also known as The World That Was, most everyone had to work to survive and few were happy, but at least there was some stability and safety.

The Age Of War (approx. 200 yrs. in future) A millennium of brutal war when the survivors of the Old Age struggled against Josh's rebels. The surface of the earth and most of history and culture was wiped out during this bloody age, and the future of humankind was decided. After many shifts both ways, the Revs finally began to build a decisive advantage when Josh began mass-producing soldiers. Desperate for one last shot at victory, the Socs attempted their Infinity Gambit. Josh himself went to stop them, and when the smoke finally cleared, the Socs were utterly extinguished, it was clear that Earth would never again have a society, Josh had ascended into a true God (although not without great cost) and the Earth stopped spinning, thus marking the end of days, but not by any means the end of time.

The Reunification (approx. 1000 yrs. in future) During the War, the surviving human factions became severely fragmented between humans, AIs, Revs, Garns, mutants, and everything else. The Reunification was the now truly deified Josh's attempt to put the pieces back together. The 2 most significant things to know about this period are that it didn't work and yet it created the Union. For the most part, Humanity didn't reunify: they basically petered out, becoming more different from one another than ever before and leaving the ravaged Earth behind for a better life in the distant Colonies. Those who did stay behind coalesced into the Union Of Humankind under the command of Josh. The Earth was repaired into a beautiful garden paradise as the Lifters were crashed back into the ground and grew outward across the Earth into golden, heavenly cities. Everyone else had a hard life getting started in the ever-expanding colonies.

The Age Of Union (approx. 1 million yrs. in future) The Human Empire of the Union expands out from this galaxy, with Earth as it's ever-present core and Josh as its' absolute master. At some point, he is split apart and some piece of him is returned to (damaged) human form and must be repaired, the Divine Council Of The High Seraphim rule in his absence. After this, the Cathedral Of God, an enormous structure larger than many Earths is constructed by nanomachines that gather material from other places to make it ever-expanding and supported by "magical" anti-causality vibrations, and God himself (Josh) goes to dwell within it.
Meanwhile, the outer colonies continue to grow and support a huge population of traders, adventurers, farmers, workers, merchants, pilots, and rouges, all vying for the resource of Sunstone, a crystal used to capture and store solar energy that powers all technology, and still living without a Society. The Changestones are eventually invented, and the order of the Magi is born to challenge the Teleks who had been the undisputed masters of temporal power for eons. Meanwhile, Codepriests begin to try and decipher the great code of spacetime which contains a record of all things. The Solars rule on Earth, and Humans continue to expand.

The War Of Beyond (an unknown amount of years into the VERY distant future) Many eons later, extradimensional beings of good and evil from other existences invade the universe. They are called Astrals and Doomshadows. An alliance of the Astrals and the beings of this universe, (led by Josh, of course) manage to defeat them, but barely.

Zero Hour (approx. 5 thousand yrs. after War Of Beyond) The ultimate end of the world, the battle of Armageddon, and this time, Josh's armies are the bad guys. Bent on changing some event in his distant past, he sends his entire Crusader Army (The Army Of God) to the collapsing star Rezzanarius, in an attempt to turn it into a black hole time portal. The armies of all other forces, realizing that the alteration of the past would cause their universe to cease to exist, have gone there to stop them. The ult

Edited by manowater989, 04 July 2005 - 08:57 AM.

#3 manowater989

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

imate showdown will be the end of the universe no matter what the outcome, but whether it is truly the end or just a new beginning depends on fate.

That's basically an outline of the main eras. Of course, there is much more in-between. So, what do you all think of everything so far?

As a general rule, dissents which are not allowed to be articulated in accepted channels, will often build up until they break out into full fledged rebellion or a subversive movement.

-Creodin, Thoughts On Perspective

First Divinist Prayer:
All-Powerful Josh, please forgive me my sins and transgressions. I did not mean to do these things. Please forgive me. Word.

Second Divinist Prayer:
I vow to you that in the future, I shall endeavor to the very fullness of my abilities to not allow these sins or imperfections to recur. Please grant me your forgiveness. Word.

If a Divinist accidentally says some unholy word in place of “Word” Prayer:
Please, almighty Josh, I am doubly, doubly, doubly, doubly, quadruply, quadruply, eighthfully, infinitely sorry for thinking of that most vile, wicked, profane, and unholy word. I meant only to think of the one true word of absolution, of absoluteness, confirmation, and affirmation- Word.

Edited by manowater989, 04 July 2005 - 09:01 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 manowater989

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:44 AM

Oh come on- isn't anyone at all interested? I realize that it is severely long, but I truly feels it's worth the time. I challenge you to skim just the first few paragraphs at least and see if you find it at all interesting, and respond if you do or don't.

#5 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

I did skim the first paragraphs and I'm not compelled to read on.

I don't like the chaos/order and heaven/hell dichotomy, because they are too simplistic. I don't care for the crucial words Rev and Soc because they sound silly and unpoetic to me. I did not like the Christian iconography used by the Revs.
The setting is not established clearly in those first paragraphs, but that is always a tricky task. To get a feel for a setting, I think it is helpful to present sample character sketches and adventure seeds. I thoroughly dislike rules and would recommend using FUDGE or something similar for that reason.

Having said all that I think the project has merit and fills a high SCiFi niche between Traveler and W40K so by all means go ahead.
But I don't see it as very useful for spreading Immortality or Transhuman memes.

In that regard I thoroughly recommend Steve Jacksons Transhuman Space.

#6 manowater989

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:34 AM

I have to strongly disagree with you on at least one of your points, caliban. Whether or not you like the words Revs and Socs, certain iconography, or whatever other specific aspects of the work, are of course matters of personal taste. But I completely disagree that it isn't a very compelling and useful study of the ideas and implications involved in immortality and transhumanism. Yes, transhuman space is not bad either, but, I personally find that setting to be somewhat bleak and hollow, more like Dehumanizing Space. Now, of course you could say, "what am I talking about, what I posted is much bleaker [than TS]"- maybe in terms of the pure events described, but I think this "project", as you call it, is not only more robust and optimistic, but, (and once again, I'm speaking in terms of the overall effect and the kind of tonal response it evokes, not the specific technologies or events) more realistic and useful for thinking about the SORTS of ways in which things are really likely to happen, in my opinion.

As I stated in my introduction, it's not my "project". I recently learned that the original author, the "real" Manowater I guess (hehe), himself "borrowed" it from the manifesto of The Revs, an ACTUAL group of people who, from the information I can gather, seem to actually be convinced that these events or very close approximations of them are going to occur on or near the timescales cited in the text; and apparently thought it would make a good rpg setting! So you see caliban, it does have some potential as a meme after all, spreading from place to place by way of people whose eye it catches without them necessarily even knowing what it is, and spreading further, into the brain of everyone who reads it.

For my own part, also as I said at the beginning, I love the idea of the Revs and I was hoping there would really be such a thing someday and now that I know (or at least have heard) that there really is, I want to join! They're apparently quite secretive and do not even have a website that is publicly accessible: I hope that I haven't incurred their wrath or interfered with their aims by posting this up, I was just reposting something that another had put up, after all, and didn't know any better at the time. If anyone has ever heard anything or knows anything more about real-life Revs or how I might be able to contact or attain membership in such a group, I would appreciate you dropping me a line, either as a pm or a reply on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users