* * * * * 1 votes

Iodine as a Nootropic

iodine iodide lugols solution selenium bromine fluoride nootropic

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Darkest Chaos

• 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

So I've recently begun to dig into all of the research doctors are unearthing about the benefits of getting enough Iodine to detox halogens such as Fluoride (which is said to lower IQ) and Bromine (which slows the metabolism by filling receptors for Iodine in the thyroid) that we constantly intake in our bodies in society. Studies have found that after dosing Iodine in 50mg to 100mg doses that the urine levels of test subjects showed huge increases (about an 180 % increase, if my memory serves me correctly) in the amount of Bromine and Fluoride, meaning that the body must have been releasing it due to the supplementation.

Therefore, would taking something like Lugol's Solution or Iodoral long enough to detox a great amount of this fluoride result in a raised (or rather normalized) IQ? I have difficulty finding any studies that relate to IQ increases in such kinds of cases. o.0

Some basic references to look at, if you haven't come across any such information yet:

http://www.naturodoc.com/iodine.htm

http://thedetoxspeci...nmental-toxins/

#2 scitris

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16400058

http://blog.practica...ition-enhancer/

This two studies indicate that iodine-supplementation increases cognition in children with mild iodine-defiency.

Iodine is very important in stage of brain development. Its thought that it influences myelination und therefore neurotransmission.

I know there are anecdotal reports of enhancement in adults via iodine-supplementaion, but i didnt find a scientific source for it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

I personally wouldn't recommend taking iodine in such high doses.  Extra iodine will cause excretion of fluoride and bromide, but there is no reason to take it to the extreme.  The highest daily dose I'd ever recommend taking outside of the supervision of a knowledgable physician is a single iodoral tablet (12.5mg combined iodide/iodine).  Even then, I think that dose is too high unless you are taking supportive cofactors like vitamin C, selenium, and probably others.  And unless you are trying to treat something in particular, that dose is still too high. 

I think a safe daily dose of iodine is in the 1-2mg range. As an aside, I occasionally (i.e. a couple times per month) take one half of an iodoral tablet just to keep the fluoride and bromide flushed out...

#4 Darkest Chaos

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

I personally wouldn't recommend taking iodine in such high doses.  Extra iodine will cause excretion of fluoride and bromide, but there is no reason to take it to the extreme.  The highest daily dose I'd ever recommend taking outside of the supervision of a knowledgable physician is a single iodoral tablet (12.5mg combined iodide/iodine).  Even then, I think that dose is too high unless you are taking supportive cofactors like vitamin C, selenium, and probably others.  And unless you are trying to treat something in particular, that dose is still too high. 

I think a safe daily dose of iodine is in the 1-2mg range. As an aside, I occasionally (i.e. a couple times per month) take one half of an iodoral tablet just to keep the fluoride and bromide flushed out...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16400058

http://blog.practica...ition-enhancer/

This two studies indicate that iodine-supplementation increases cognition in children with mild iodine-defiency.

Iodine is very important in stage of brain development. Its thought that it influences myelination und therefore neurotransmission.

I know there are anecdotal reports of enhancement in adults via iodine-supplementaion, but i didnt find a scientific source for it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well it's good to know that it helps adults somehow. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much proof in research outside out of the one for kids. If the children only had mild deficiency in iodine and they saw gain cognitively then perhaps it stands to reason that most people these days are actually deficient in Iodine (probably more severely, as I imagine the deficiency would likely increase and not decrease with time) and would see equal or even greater benefits than did children.

I've been taking 50mg of Lugol's but noticed some of the effects of what they called Bromine Detox as I raised the dose a bit higher somedays. Namely, the metallic mouth taste, brain fog, and a few others. I figured that the higher the dose one took (up to the 100mg that Dr. Brownstein recommends), the quicker the detox proceeds. I'd rather be through those side effects as quickly as possible to see if the benefits really are worth it (while risking my thyroid, I suppose) in order to see if the cognitive disfunction associated with the halogen saturation in the body would alleviate and be noticeably different.

So far, I still feel like I'm detoxing, although I've lowered the dose to avoid the worst of the detox symptoms. I do wonder what the other side is like, if it's not all some myth XD

Edited by Darkest Chaos, 01 July 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#5 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

I almost started a thread about iodine as nootropic, but someone already beat me to it. I think I agree. I feel so much better physically, emotionally, and intellectually when I just started Lugol's iodine about a week ago. I've taken Kelp iodine before but it's not the same. I wonder if since iodine is a precursor to making methamphetamine (considered a smart drug) may have something to do with it being "nootropical" or have its properties? I take 1 drop in the morning and another one at night. Though the suggestion was 6 drops daily. I always start slow. I take the 2% solution. Also, considering that only iodine "binds" to the thyroid gland, which is not well studied from what I understand and since diagnoses for any thyroid issues can be difficult (in other words, it lacks study or is not well understood), yet with iodine supplementation people feel as if they just took a hit of "piracetam" in a lot of ways (great mood, energy, etc.). I think iodine is like what GHB is, the only drug that binds to the GHB receptor (AFAIK). Iodine being the only one binding to the thyroid. GHB is another overlooked gabaergic "nootropic" IMO. To be honest, I wasn't feeling smart taking 70 mg of Vyvanse, but now I feel it considering I've started using Lugol's.

Now back to iodine;

There are plenty of different types:

nascent, iosol, iodoral, lugols, etc. Not sure if what the differences are here. I think iodoral is same as lugol's but it is the pill form of lugol's to avoid all that bad taste. lots of different reviews and opinions of each iodines. Iosol was said to be for hypothyroidism according to one reviewer (possibly clueless). Nascent was said to give the most physical energy. Anyone know iodine that well and how many more different "types" are there?

P.S. this thread is underrated. It needs more participants. Maybe when they think of "iodine" they think of table salt as I have before. I didn't know what the "big deal" was about "iodine" (the "table salt"). LOL. Table salts do not even have iodine anymore which is why the population have been deficient.

Edited by eon, 15 August 2015 - 12:58 PM.

• Ill informed x 2

#6 contraband

• Guest Social Engineering Spammer
  • 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

There is an iodine deficiency epidemic in this country because physicians have discouraged people from using table salt (to prevent hypertension), but the iodine added to table salt is our main dietary source of iodine.

I think the best source of dietary iodine is seaweed (contains up to 1000mg). 

Iodine is essential to the synthesis of thyroid hormone in vivo and iodine deficiency during early childhood results in profound intellectual disability. 

#7 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

So I've recently begun to dig into all of the research doctors are unearthing about the benefits of getting enough Iodine to detox halogens such as Fluoride (which is said to lower IQ) and Bromine (which slows the metabolism by filling receptors for Iodine in the thyroid) that we constantly intake in our bodies in society. Studies have found that after dosing Iodine in 50mg to 100mg doses that the urine levels of test subjects showed huge increases (about an 180 % increase, if my memory serves me correctly) in the amount of Bromine and Fluoride, meaning that the body must have been releasing it due to the supplementation.

Therefore, would taking something like Lugol's Solution or Iodoral long enough to detox a great amount of this fluoride result in a raised (or rather normalized) IQ?

I made my own lugols iodine solution and take some every day except weekends.

It is part of my detox routine, of which my latest addition is sodium alginate first thing in the morning.

Before taking the alginate, I take chelators to free any heavy metals and other toxins. Generally this includes ginger (raw chewed), 2 drops Lugol's iodine solution and boron (as 10% borax solution).
Sometimes I add a drop of sodium thiosulphate 10% solution. (These are all homemade solutions from scratch BTW) - I mix all this in a tea of raspberry leaf/roobios. Rooibos increases levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD).

The alginate is a component of brown seaweed and is good at binding to stuff we don't want.

I also take selenium to aid detoxification and importantly, ensure my fairly high iodine intake does not cause issues. High iodine dosage can negatively impact thyroid function.

Alongside my other nutritional and health tactics/strategy, I feel fantastic since incorporating this multiple detox method.
  • like x 2

#8 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

people have suggested to take selenium while using iodine. I wondered why. Also, would tyrosine be a good idea to add as well?

"The thyroid gland controls how quickly the body uses energy, makes proteins, and controls the body's sensitivity to other hormones. It participates in these processes by producing thyroid hormones, the principal ones being triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (sometimes referred to as tetraiodothyronine (T4)). These hormones regulate the growth and rate of function of many other systems in the body. T3 and T4 are synthesized from iodine and tyrosine. The thyroid also produces calcitonin, which plays a role in calcium homeostasis."

#9 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

"Iodine deficiency affects about two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of intellectual disabilities.[4]"

Is iodine then officially a nootropic?

#10 panhedonic

• 388 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

I take iodine everyday. I don't notice specific change, but have been doing it for about a year. I take the kelp type. 

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

There is an iodine deficiency epidemic in this country

the best source of dietary iodine is seaweed

So pretty much average Americans are too stupid and careless to think of or implement lifestyle changes, and in a sense, no one cares if a severe iodine deficiency takes them below 90 IQ.

Meanwhile, the clever and health-conscious people are always learning and engaged in continuous process of growth and lifestyle refinement.

#12 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:05 AM

You won't notice anything with Kelp. I did that for 1-2 years. It's so-so, not potent. It's just Tramadol, not Oxycodone per se. If this analogy makes sense. Tramadol is weak, Oxycodone is what works. Try some Lugol's iodine. Read the reviews of it on amazon.com. 

If anyone here knows more about iodine deficiency and the 59 separate diseases a thyroid dysfunction can bring, I'd like to read more about it.

I take iodine everyday. I don't notice specific change, but have been doing it for about a year. I take the kelp type. 

#13 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Dear eon, if one notices nothing with kelp, try 3 tablespoons daily.  Report back promptly with any side-effects and if you desire to discontinue it.

I can assure you kelp, dulse, wakame and a few others are rich in bioavailable iodine.

Iodine deficiency, unless severe, tends to be asymptomatic, and so supplementing back into the reference range won't perceptibly alleviate anything.

• Needs references x 1

#14 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

does anyone here know how to counter toxicity from iodine just in case? I think Lugol's may have been too strong or the wrong type of iodine for me. From what I have read from people was that Iosol iodine is for hypothyroidism not Lugol's, which what I should have been taking. So does that mean Lugol's is for hyperthyroidism? I have been taking tiny amounts of selenium (yeast form) when I should have been taking high dose of it at 200 mcg (I was only taking 50 mcg). Do I counter an iodine toxicity by using more selenium then? Just in case. I do see some unusual bump or "activity" on my neck area when I tilt my head backward and swallow while looking in front of my bathroom mirror. I stopped Lugol's and see if this unusual neck activity fades away before I start my iosol iodine supplementation. Maybe iosol could counter this unusualness?

If anything, how long can I expect for this iodine side effect to last? How long does iodine last in the body? 

Edited by eon, 31 August 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#15 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

Is there an update for the questions you asked?

#16 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:52 AM

The half-life in the body is a little under 80 days, so it could take up to a year for the swelling to subside.

#17 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

fucked

• Unfriendly x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:14 AM

For those into nutraceuticals, Irish Sea Moss is a pretty good option for supplementing Iodine...

1*pLHIw9aJMZKkZ96nLPli2g.gif

This red alga is a multi-vitamin in a moss, it’s nutrient-dense, with 92 of the 102 minerals that make up the human body.
Also referred to as Chondrus crispus or carrageen moss, is another health supplement used since time immemorial, it’s native to the windswept, rocky, jagged coasts of Ireland, Scotland and the Northern Atlantic coasts.
It’s been studied widely with over 150 scientific papers published and listed on Pubmed. Here we’ll break down its wide range of benefits...

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iodine, iodide, lugols, solution, selenium, bromine, fluoride, nootropic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users