• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Nutrients in beer / grains lacking from paleo-ish diet?

paleo beer nutrient deficiency grains

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Nutrient- (and alcohol-) dense beer used to comprise a significant fraction of my diet (15 - 30 per week). After the addition of an antifungal caused liver damage I quit about a year ago. I also all but stopped eating grains around the same time. My weight plummeted, stabilized, and then plummeted again, and my health has been declining since. What particular dietary nutrients might now be lacking due to this change?

Have come up with silicon, which might explain nerve, skin, hair, joint, and vein/capillary problems - all are dependent on collagen which in turn relies on silicon for maintenance. Beer, grains, and legumes are supposedly the biggest sources in the diet.

Mark's daily apple lists 7: iodine, selenium, magnesium, k2, b12, manganese, and choline, but personally, I eat a lot of these or supplement all but manganese.
http://www.marksdail...-do-about-them/
http://www.marksdail...-do-about-them/
Hopefully this topic is of interest to anyone looking to take the paleo plunge. Thanks in advance.

#2 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

I know more than one alcoholic male over 40 with incredible amounts of hair so there may be something to this.  Silica is probably more abundant in dirt covered food so maybe excessive washing of produce reduces it?

http://www.earthwork...m/human-use.php

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

If your trying to get beer nutrients without beer, try a nutritional yeast supplement. Think the yeast in beer is what produces most of the vitamins....

#4 StevesPetRat

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

If your trying to get beer nutrients without beer, try a nutritional yeast supplement. Think the yeast in beer is what produces most of the vitamins....

Ah, hey, thanks for mentioning that. I have some stupid questions about brewer's yeast. Would probably get the beet grown stuff if I do order it.

Will brewer's yeast reach the large intestine and act as a probiotic? If so, do I have to worry about auto-intoxication from gut production of alcohol? Could I boil it to kill the stuff before eating it?

And ... God, I am so embarrassed to even type this... the whole "fungus feeds fungus" thing that we see online is bullsh!t, right? Suggesting that brewer's yeast "feeds" candida is about as dumb as saying that eating chicken will make pigeons grow in your colon, isn't it? Arg fine I'm leaving that question in. Thanks!

#5 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Ah, hey, thanks for mentioning that. I have some stupid questions about brewer's yeast. Would probably get the beet grown stuff if I do order it.

Will brewer's yeast reach the large intestine and act as a probiotic? If so, do I have to worry about auto-intoxication from gut production of alcohol? Could I boil it to kill the stuff before eating it?

And ... God, I am so embarrassed to even type this... the whole "fungus feeds fungus" thing that we see online is bullsh!t, right? Suggesting that brewer's yeast "feeds" candida is about as dumb as saying that eating chicken will make pigeons grow in your colon, isn't it? Arg fine I'm leaving that question in. Thanks!

Auto-intoxication.....? I wish, but I doubt eating yeast will get you any drunker than a slice of bread will, I've actually gotten lazy in my beer brewing and started using baker's yeast for my beer....I'm sure that any sugar in your gut will be digested by you before the yeast, and your body produces alcohol as a metabolite no matter what you do, part of the sober feeling as are many other substances...candida....I'm pretty sure it ferments wax to citric acid not sugar to alcohol, so I doubt whether their breeding partners. and as far as boiling the yeast, that's basically making nutritional yeast out of live yeast, being that nutritional yeast is neutralized yeast 

• like x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

I think your intuition is correct here.  Candida albicans is a commensal organism that commonly lives in our gut and on our skin.  The Internet has turned it into bogeyman pathogen number one.  You'd think half the damn country was having problems with it, if you hang out in the wrong neighborhood of the net.  For people with a normal immune system who are not on long term antibiotic therapy, it's not very likely to be a problem. 

#7 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

I think your intuition is correct here.  Candida albicans is a commensal organism that commonly lives in our gut and on our skin.  The Internet has turned it into bogeyman pathogen number one.  You'd think half the damn country was having problems with it, if you hang out in the wrong neighborhood of the net.  For people with a normal immune system who are not on long term antibiotic therapy, it's not very likely to be a problem. 

In the gut? Isn't candida what gives women yeast infections of the vagina....ferments the wax in there to citric acid?

#8 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

The main benefit of alcohol is with acetate; a byproduct of alcohol metabolism. Acetate is a substance you normally get from the digestion of dietary-fiber. I like to consider beer "liquid fiber". Acetate lowers FFAs which enable hormones like insulin to function better and decreases the risk of FFA oxidation.

Edited by misterE, 28 August 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• like x 1

#9 StevesPetRat

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

The main benefit of alcohol is with acetate; a byproduct of alcohol metabolism. Acetate is a substance you normally get from the digestion of dietary-fiber. I like to consider beer "liquid fiber". Acetate lowers FFAs which enable hormones like insulin to function better and decreases the risk of FFA oxidation.

Ah, interesting, thank you; so apple cider vinegar shots are called for? Is acetate's MOA that it helps synthesize large chain fats out of FFA's?

#10 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

I know more than one alcoholic male over 40 with incredible amounts of hair so there may be something to this.  Silica is probably more abundant in dirt covered food so maybe excessive washing of produce reduces it?

http://www.earthwork...m/human-use.php

Ignoring the genetic component to hair loss, alcohol I believe decreases testosterone. Therefore lower T ---> lower DHT ---> reduced hair loss.

It's also my theory for why obese people are in my experience less bald than the rest of the population. I suspect this is due to their endocrine systems being suffocated and not producing enough hormones /DHT / 5-ar to cause balding.

#11 StevesPetRat

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Ignoring the genetic component to hair loss, alcohol I believe decreases testosterone. Therefore lower T ---> lower DHT ---> reduced hair loss.
It's also my theory for why obese people are in my experience less bald than the rest of the population. I suspect this is due to their endocrine systems being suffocated and not producing enough hormones /DHT / 5-ar to cause balding.

Ha, when I quit drinking, I dropped 30 pounds, and my free testosterone tanked from 90 to 50...

Hops, though not a "nutrient" per se, has potent anti-inflammatory effects. Maybe I need some bitter acids back in my life.

#12 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Ha, when I quit drinking, I dropped 30 pounds, and my free testosterone tanked from 90 to 50...

Hops, though not a "nutrient" per se, has potent anti-inflammatory effects. Maybe I need some bitter acids back in my life.

Maybe you should try non-alhocolic, non-filtrated wheat beer. It does not only contain all the nutrients from the brewer's yeast but also some valuable hop compounds, like xantohumol, which are usually removed by cold filtration (as they cause a slight cloudiness).

There's even a RCT from (of course! :happy:) Germany showing that marathon runners drinking non-alcoholic wheat beer had reduced markers of inflammation, faster recovery and less susceptibility to virus infections than the group receiving a placebo beverage.

• like x 4

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:45 AM

There's even a RCT from (of course! :happy:) Germany showing that marathon runners drinking non-alcoholic wheat beer had reduced markers of inflammation, faster recovery and less susceptibility to virus infections than the group receiving a placebo beverage.

This has me wondering what they would use as the placebo beverage.  An alcoholic wheat beer?  A non-alcoholic potato beer?  The possibilities are endless. 

• like x 1

#14 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

This has me wondering what they would use as the placebo beverage.  An alcoholic wheat beer?  A non-alcoholic potato beer?  The possibilities are endless. 

Vodka. Just kidding... They said that it was specially produced by the brewery providing the wheat beer to be sensually indistinguishable but free of polyphenols. I have no idea how they would have achieved that but I seriously doubt whether the runners would really have been fooled by such a placebo. Heck, Bavarians are weaned on wheat beer ;)

#15 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

This is the only non-alcoholic, wheat beer I can find locally. Not sure if it is non-filtrated, though:

Erdinger non-alcoholic

I how Kombucha compares - what health benefits if any it has to offer.

#16 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

This is the only non-alcoholic, wheat beer I can find locally. Not sure if it is non-filtrated, though:

Erdinger non-alcoholic

Yes it is. It is actually the very beer they used in the study, brewed near Munich - and one of the best!

If you are not used to it: make sure to gently rotate the bottle before opening in order to dissolve the yeast settled on the bottom.

Edited by timar, 24 September 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paleo, beer, nutrient, deficiency, grains

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users