• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Intelligence Squared

increasing intelligence nootropic problem solving potentiation smile enhancement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rbgilbert06

• 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

The field of neuroscience has made great strides in identifying the underlying causes of cognitive dysfunction. Longecity's community has used this information to create consumer-based nootropic strategies for mental enhancement. And these enhancements are great progress. 

But maybe we should begin the discussion of intelligence squared- that is, drastically increasing intelligence in healthy, high-performing individuals. How can we increase creativity, insight and problem solving abilities in someone that's operating at 100%? 

Here are the 3 main pillars of brain enhancement that I think should be addressed to make a significant impact on human intelligence.

Insight - Enhancement of the dopamine and hippocampal system to allow for rapid learning in a field. Fluid intelligence is impractical without crystalized intelligence in a particular background of knowledge.

Problem Solving - Enhancement of long-term potentiation, synaptic plasticity and selective synaptic pruning to establish new connections in the brain. The efficiency of these connections can be optimized to enhance mental processes.

Creativity- Utilizing chemical substances such as lysergic acid diethylamide to provide a unique perspective on problems and create innovative solutions. 

From here, it's a matter of choosing how to employ these enhancement strategies: chemical, electrical, magnetic, genetic, etc. 

Edited by rbgilbert06, 12 October 2014 - 10:36 PM.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#2 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:08 AM

This is the typical longecity vanity. Here are the *REAL* 3 main pillars:

1. Amping up the juice

Drugs like cocaine, Ritalin, Modafinil, meth, etc. all are amplifiers of *whatever it is you are currently doing*, whereas Modafinil goes more in the direction of MAOI in that it is less specific to the reward circuitry, thus works less so in a psychological sense, thus is less effective overall. More like increasing voltage in the PSU instead of just the processor. Some machines may tolerate way more than others, similarly people react differently.

2. placebo gizmos aka nootropics

Drugs like piracetam, ashwagandha, vitamins they all kind of do something but not really. No one even knows if they just compensate for our deficient lifestyles by providing nutrients or regulating cardiovascular shortcomings or if they actually work by some other mechanism, like the power of belief. Rest assured, they don't do much and everyone is too different in mysterious ways not yet ever decypherable by science to find a single pill that works predictably.

3. trippin' on hallucinogens

This is just like stirring the pot, adding some magic sand and firing a few thousand volts through it. Possibly the genesis of a beautiful new order. Possibly a burnt smelly pot of ground meat.

From here, it's a matter of choosing how to employ these enhancement strategies: will you take door #3 and take the risk of messing it all up on a single day? Or will you take door #1 and risk addiction and burn out on the long run? Or will you take door #2 and spent thousands of bucks on questionable supplements that do not really do much anyway? You decide.

Welcome to the real world.

Edited by Aolministrator, 13 October 2014 - 01:13 AM.

• dislike x 6
  • like x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rbgilbert06

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

The first functional plane wasn't built without useless, risky or simplistic prototypes. Besides, you can't sum up the nuances and potential of each field with one paragraph. There's a lot out there to learn, for all of us. 

#4 rbgilbert06

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:26 AM

In response to your concerns,

1. The dopaminergic drugs you listed are agonists or reuptake inhibitors. These cause downstream downregulation of dopamine receptor activation. Maybe even apoptosis from NMDA excitotoxicity. That's only one way of altering the reward system. 

2.Magnesium L-threonate, a supplement, has been clinically shown to be more bioavailable in the brain, increasing learning and memory.

3. Psilocybin was shown to increase resting-state functional brain activity in healthy adults

Edited by rbgilbert06, 13 October 2014 - 03:33 AM.

#5 Healthy Tony

• 112 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:23 AM

Oy vey. I'm going to have to break your message up and reply to each point individually.

1. Amping up the juice

Drugs like cocaine, Ritalin, Modafinil, meth, etc. all are amplifiers of *whatever it is you are currently doing*, whereas Modafinil goes more in the direction of MAOI in that it is less specific to the reward circuitry, thus works less so in a psychological sense, thus is less effective overall. More like increasing voltage in the PSU instead of just the processor. Some machines may tolerate way more than others, similarly people react differently.

I would like to point out that grouping all of those substances together is very misleading and does little to paint an accurate picture. Amongst those listed you have stimulants of different MOA's as well as modafinil, which is wholly unlike the others, and also generally non-addictive. Also not sure that's a good analogy, since pretty much no computer will run faster with PSU over-volting.

2. placebo gizmos aka nootropics

Drugs like piracetam, ashwagandha, vitamins they all kind of do something but not really. No one even knows if they just compensate for our deficient lifestyles by providing nutrients or regulating cardiovascular shortcomings or if they actually work by some other mechanism, like the power of belief. Rest assured, they don't do much and everyone is too different in mysterious ways not yet ever decypherable by science to find a single pill that works predictably.

For the most part I haven't felt much off of those three either; however, I have found significant benefit from other noots. The racetams never did much for me (except phenylpiracetam), but I have found Modafinil, Tianeptine, Semax, and Selank to be effective their own respective way. Perhaps you didn't try the right nootropics yet.

3. trippin' on hallucinogens

This is just like stirring the pot, adding some magic sand and firing a few thousand volts through it. Possibly the genesis of a beautiful new order. Possibly a burnt smelly pot of ground meat.

You know that there are many studies showing that psychedelic substances can be useful in treating a number of different psychological problems right? Conditions ranging from depression to PTSD have shown to be effectively treated with psychedelic drugs. I could link you to some articles if it would help you?

When experimenting with cognitive enhancement one needs to have an open mind and patience. Keep at it and you will get results.

• like x 1

#6 JellyRev

• 71 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

The higher the IQ the less they will benefit cognitive enhancers. 

The higher the IQ the more important a mood stabilizer, anxiolytic or motivator will be. As this will generally be their real problem in life.

But if we were to find a substance that could drastically alter synaptic connections with nerve growth and pruning I suppose IQ could be enhanced.

The secret lies in brains like Daniel Tammet's.  He can do calculations to 100 decimal places in his head, and learn a language in a week.

If we could see what his brain's neurochemistry is doing different we could figure it out. 

#7 rbgilbert06

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

The higher the IQ the less they will benefit cognitive enhancers. 

The higher the IQ the more important a mood stabilizer, anxiolytic or motivator will be. As this will generally be their real problem in life.

But if we were to find a substance that could drastically alter synaptic connections with nerve growth and pruning I suppose IQ could be enhanced.

The secret lies in brains like Daniel Tammet's.  He can do calculations to 100 decimal places in his head, and learn a language in a week.

If we could see what his brain's neurochemistry is doing different we could figure it out. 

I don't think it's realistic to generalize what drugs would work best for people with high IQ. 

I also don't know that we want to increase raw computing power like that of Daniel Tammet. Computers are much better for calculation and raw data storage.

But I do agree that we should investigate the neurochemistry of brilliant people that have made a positive impact on the world. A brain like Einstein's would be much more beneficial to society.

Edited by rbgilbert06, 13 October 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

One thing is also to decrease the activity of cognition-impairing neurochemicals like kynurenic acid.

edit: well, this thread is about healthy individuals so perhaps this wasn't relevant. although, I guess it's possible that when one chemically enhaces glutamatergic system etc., the brain can compensate with dulling activity. So some sort of damage control and preventing exhaustion would be something to consider.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 13 October 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#9 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

One thing is also to decrease the activity of cognition-impairing neurochemicals like kynurenic acid.

edit: well, this thread is about healthy individuals so perhaps this wasn't relevant. although, I guess it's possible that when one chemically enhaces glutamatergic system etc., the brain can compensate with dulling activity. So some sort of damage control and preventing exhaustion would be something to consider.

I´m also curious how to decrease kynurenic acid.

But I´m not sure whether simply glutamate upregulation is sufficient.

KYN could have a greater affinity to the receptors, so dunno.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

This was so cringe to read, he is trying so hard to come off as smart.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: increasing, intelligence, nootropic, problem solving, potentiation, smile, enhancement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users