• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Are there any physical devices/equipment for cognitive improvement?

device/equipment

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 funkmasterG

• 60 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

Before I start my question Id just like to say its nice to be back here again, don't know how frequently I really will be on here but after being absent from this forum for maybe 3 years give or take, its nice to see all this again. So many of my questions in the past had been focused on nootropics, but I had been curious for a while now to see if maybe there is some kind of physical equipment or device that helps with cognitive function that I don't know about. I started thinking if there are certain supplements that can help with different aspects of cognitive function, maybe there will be some kind of device/equipment that maybe isn't that known (maybe cuz they aren't as effective yet or possibly inconsistent results in studies, who knows). Just so everyone understands, when I say "device"/"equipment" I am referring to some kind of physical object that might help out the brain in the same way that for example dumb bells or bar bells help out weightlifters for their muscles. I am hoping that maybe some of you who have been here a lot longer than me or have more experience dealing with brain health might know of something if there are such things, I want to be clear that it doesn't have to be some kind of weight per se, that was just the only example I could think of, just any type of equipment or device. I am looking forward to what info you guys may provide.

Thank You

Edited by funkmasterG, 30 October 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:00 AM

Hi,

this is a very interesting question and I feel like I might be able to give you some answers:

1. Biofeedback devices

Professional grade EEG Neurofeedback: go and google Pocket Neurobics or brain-trainer - there are many evidences that EEG Neurofeedback can optimise your brain patterns which can dramatically affect cognition. There are several links for further reading and also a few anedcdotal evidences:

http://www.longecity...-neurofeedback/

http://www.longecity...and-discussion/

http://forum.bulletp...sync#entry93746 (read post #4)

You can get Q-WIZ + ecap + BioExplorer (software to run it on) + assessment for about $2200. The training protocols mostly used by members of longecity are either TAG Sync (stands for theta-alpha-gamma synchrony, just google) or TLC7 from brain-trainer.

You can also go a more expensive but perhaps more straightforward way with Neuroptimal neurofeedback from Zengar.

Consumer grade EEG: there are several of them, notable mentions being EMOTIV, Muse or NeuroSky. Personally, I would wait for EMOTIV Insight, which will be released in the beginning of 2015. It has 5 dry electrodes and gets connected to your smartphone. 

nir/pir-HEG Focus training - stand for near/passive infrared hematoencephalography (or something similar :) ) - basically trains you to increase the bloodflow to your brain, or specifically to prefrontal cortex. Which is great for focus. You need an amplifier such as Q-WIZ (or even a cheaper one), altogether all the setup is for about $1000. I use it ans have very positive result after 4 days of use. Further reading:

http://forum.bulletp...and-heg/?hl=heg

HRV training: heart rate variability is linked to cognitive performance. Have a look at the Inner Balance device. Basically, you pay about $120 for just a sensor which might seem a lot, but it can be very beneficial.

2. Electrical stimulation devices

tDCS and/or CES: first stand for trancranial direct current stimulation. You just place electrodes on your head and let some (mili)amps flow into your brain. Backed by a lot of research. Runs for about $200-300

http://www.foc.us/

http://thebrainstimulator.net/

3. Light stimulation

Check out Lostfalco's thread about the TULIP stack. You basically place red led diods on your scalp for several seconds which arguably promotes mitochondrial metabolism and let them work more efficiently - improves cognition. Very experimental but worth checking out. You can get one for as little as $30. Mine is for $200.

4. Others

Exercise - actually dumbbells and barbells can help you improve your cognitive abilities by a big margin. Regular exercise dramatically raises BDNF production in the brain (that was found in mice).

Dual-n-back - not really a device per se but worth checking out

Meditation - also, there is a link between cognitive performance and mindfulness levels. Regular meditation helps you block out distractions which can lead to better focus - performance.

Mozart effect - and other sound entrainment. Do a google search.

For some interesting reading, check out the book Smarter from Dan Hurley for tDCS, n-back and some more or A symphony in the brain for some very light reading about Neurofeedback.

I'm personally using or I'm going to use most of those device in my intelligence improvement project. Check out my thread http://www.longecity...emax-lllt-tdcs/ or my blog http://www.effectivebrain.com/ for more info.

Edited by Candidatus, 31 October 2014 - 05:29 AM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pallas

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

The emwave reduces stress, hence making you more relaxed and be able to learn things better.

I got the neurosky, it's pretty crap. The software that comes with it doesn't do much, and the good softwares, brain entrainment ones cost more than the headset itself. 

Dual N back seemed to improve my working memory. 

#4 funkmasterG

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

First I want to apologize to both of you (Candidatus, Pallas) for taking so long for responding, I know its been a while since I first posted about like 2 weeks after I posted this I haven't had internet. That being said I haven't had a chance to look at the info you guys have sent but I really appreciate it, especially you Candidatus. I really appreciate how detailed you went into it, and the examples you gave are exactly what I was talking about/looking for. And I love how you put it into a list format, I always prefer that because it just makes it easier for me to look into things. Im really interested to start taking a look at some of that stuff, hopefully Ill have the money for some of it lol cuz some of it looks a bit expensive. But thats not a problem, its more about at least knowing about these devices and connecting with you guys and others really helps me find out about these options that I might otherwise have not known about. I will also look into "Dual N" Pallas considering that it seems u like that one most compared to the Neurosky.

Thank You

#5 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

Check this for general information, but it is not available for general use as far as I know:

Augmentation of cognitive brain functions with transcranial lasers http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3953713/

#6 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

Great List!

Some old school stuff, i'm having great results with these at the moment, three things together:

- Photic entrainment by diffused laser stimulation of your entire eye, using the different frequencies for your right and left eye, it entrains your brain to move to the desired brain waves. (if you think about it for non invasive stimulation - it actually makes a ton of sense, because there are so many receptors in the eye and the size of your visual cortex and various other structures)

- Research designed audio brainwave entrainment sessions, these are specifically designed programs that start with dissociation of the mind.

- Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation

It's all based on incredibly well researched technology, I have tried TDCS before  and didn't get any good results apart from a headache and CES is way better in my experience, though TDCS you can target which makes it possible we just haven't figured out how to do it yet. The best thing about CES is you can have it on in the background and keep working, whilst TDCS tends to be limited in time, also ear clips look a lot less weird in public...

I am having absolutely phenomenal results with it, able to stay productive all day (sort of hypomanic) which is what I want. so much that I haven't been on the forums much and have just been building stuff and learning new skills. It's only been about 3 weeks so I don't know whether it will last, but so far I have been like a rocket compared to how I was before. I measure my time and I was averaging productive self willed time of about 3 hours a day at most, for the past 3 weeks I have been able to maintain 6 to 8 hours a day of self willed time, though I haven't had much luck with CES for sleep though, which is why I got it to begin with ironically!

I may be having special results though due to having severe ADHD and high functioning autism.

However I have been having exceptional results that I have never seen ever with no side effects, for example my dexterity and speed has increased quite a bit. The effects don't last forever after the sessions, so I would like to take tests to see if its just placebo or not.

I am hoping to start HEG and neurofeedback eventually.

Also! I have been slowly mixing various chems with brain hardware and so far I see no evidence of the two being incompatable, we may have found the holy grail of moving beyond nootropics here.

edit:  I don't wish to implicitly market other peoples products here yet for various reasons (may do in the future), pm me if you wish to know.

edit2: for hrv biofeedback and if you wish to save money, I recommend an app called heartrate coherence + , it does exactly what something like the emwave does.

edit3: I only get significant results by doing all 3 together.

Edited by Major Legend, 18 December 2014 - 01:51 AM.

• Informative x 1

#7 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

@Major Legend

This is the first time I read such a report on CES used for enhancing productivity, and I'm intrigued!

Could you please specify your usage of those tools a bit? How do you use them, for how long, were the effects immediate or gradual? Also, could you post a link to the devices you use?

I've been looking at the CES device, mostly for optimising sleep. Not so much at the other 2 (although I'm planning to explore binaural beats).

Thanks for any further info!

#8 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi Candidatus,

I'm currently asking the moderator mind about whether I can name certain things. I can PM you with info if you want, if mod is ok I will start referring to products, just not sure what the official policy is yet.

CES by itself is (ok), its stimulating, and i'm sure i just haven't figured out how to use it for delta sleep - not sure whether 3.5hz, 0.5hz or 100hz is the way to go. I think I will experiment more with 100hz due to research suggesting that it activates the default mode network. For reference the bullet proof dude uses 0.5hz which is sub delta entrainment. He posted this in the comment of the post where he talked about enhancing delta sleep. I did successfully increased my delta sleep, but I did not feel more restful afterwards.

Effects of cranial electrotherapy stimulation on resting state brain activity
Jamie D Feusner,1 Sarah Madsen,1 Teena D Moody,1 Cara Bohon,1 Emily Hembacher,2 Susan Y Bookheimer,3and Alexander Bystritsky1

1Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California
2Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, California
3Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, California
Jamie D. Feusner, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 2200, Los Angeles, CA 90095. Tel: +1 310 206 4951; Fax: +1 323 443 3593; E-mail: ude.alcu.tendem@rensuefj
Funded by a grant from the Saban Family Foundation (Dr. Bystritsky). Also supported by a grant from the National Institute of Mental Health (5K23 MH079212 – Dr. Feusner).

Excerpt:
Results from this study suggest that 0.5- and 100-Hz CES causes cortical brain deactivation in midline prefrontal and parietal regions. In addition, 100-Hz stimulation significantly altered connectivity within the DMN. CES thus appears to result in similar cortical deactivation patterns for 0.5- and 100-Hz, but is associated with stronger alterations in functional connectivity for 100-Hz stimulation. Moreover, cortical deactivation patterns differed from those associated with current intensity, suggesting that cortical deactivation may depend more on frequency than intensity of stimulation.

These results may help shed light on potential mechanisms of action of CES. Previously proposed mechanisms have included changes in brain oscillation patterns, neurotransmitter and endorphin release, interruption of ongoing cortical activity, or secondary effects from peripheral nerve stimulation (Zaghi et al. 2009).

Brain Behav. May 2012; 2(3): 211–220.

PMCID: PMC3381625

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22741094

Yes, however CES individually is mild but functional, the effects are still a lot more apparent to TDCS which I tested out using the "popular hipster" device on electrodes, also mostly I like it because it can be on passively in the background, whilst TDCS you are stuck with pads on your head and are limited to 60min sessions - it stings and you get those weird phosphene flashes which I hate. CES feels more "whole brain", if you read the research I linked it talks about how alternating currents penetrate into the brain via the vagus nerve.

What made the huge difference is combining it with both visual and audio entrainment thats well designed at the same time. The effects absolutely shocked me/  Additionally I realised as well is that the neurohardware technology works on totally different mechanisms than drugs, so you can combined them to achieve a kind of modulation most humans have never tried before. Of course I was hesitant before I started combining small amounts of caffeine, then other nootropics and pharms - but i'm confident there is little interaction in mechanism for now.

Edited by Major Legend, 18 December 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#9 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

This is the quote for CES settings Dave used:

Dave Asprey • 4 years ago
Yes it does! I used mine for an hour last night at 4hz, low theta as I went to sleep. Most of the time I focus on physically regenerative deeper levels, like .5-1.5hz. Happy sleeping Kevin!

#10 whiteelephant

• 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:57 AM

Wanted to revamp this thread and see if anyone had perspectives on effective devices?  it seems frightening to use these without a professional, but professionals are expensive.  Also, the research is so variable on protocols to use.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 jacobjerondin

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:13 PM

Haven't tried it but I've heard neurofeedback can be really powerful for improving all kinds of things from focus to confidence. I think the openbci + ultracortex mark iv is supposed to be a highly effective, very customizable and also decently affordable solution, it's like $500ish for everything and there of tons of protocols for using it online I believe so it's much better value than anything emotiv offers.

Would love to hear more info about any of these devices, especially anecdotal reports on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users