- - - - -

How do I remember anything I read?

memory reading

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

It would be great if photographic memory existed in real and could be replecated.

Why is it I can't remember anything I read?

How can I improve this?

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

you should try to really visualize things when you read. by strengthening your ability to visualize in your 'mind's eye' you will manage to improve your recall. this is likely due to the strength of the occipital/visual faculty for memory. for instance, visual memory is far stronger than auditory memory.  Auditory recognition memory is inferior to visual recognition memory

this is a terribly incomplete answer though, i'm sure someone else will be able to contribute something more complete

Edited by Adaptogen, 06 November 2014 - 11:13 PM.

• like x 1

#3 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

There's a software that use the spaced repetition method that's supposed to be pretty good. It helped me learn Spanish. The apps are free but there's a paid version of the software that's supposedly really complicated and you can add thousands of pieces of information you want to remember... 

The Problem: All knowledge that you spend your valuable time acquiring you will eventually forget if you don't review it with some frequency. The memorization, review and application process of learning is inherently inefficient because study too soon and you are uselessly reviewing what you already know. Study too late (after you have forgotten) and you are starting over at square one. Either way you are wasting some of the very finite time you have for learning.

A Personal Example: In year 1 of Spanish classes in high school (over a decade ago for me) 'Hat'-Sombrero was a vocabulary item. Years later, now pretty fluent in Spanish, while chatting up a girl wearing a fashionable hat at a rooftop bar in Columbia, I was horrified to realize that I had completely forgotten the Spanish word for hat. The reason why is despite frequently talking in Spanish it had been years since I'd reviewed my year 1 vocabulary.

The Solution: The algorithm driven SuperMemo method of Spaced Repetition, prompts you to review the knowledge you are acquiring at the time when you are closest to forgetting it. This removes the inefficiencies in the process; saving you time to learn more and virtually guaranteeing you will never forget it!

"SuperMemo is a program that keeps track of discrete bits of information you've learned and want to retain. (...)SuperMemo tracks this so-called forgetting curve and reminds you to rehearse your knowledge when your chance of recalling it has dropped to, say, 90 percent. When you first learn a new vocabulary word, your chance of recalling it will drop quickly. But after SuperMemo reminds you of the word, the rate of forgetting levels out. The program tracks this new decline and waits longer to quiz you the next time".
-- Wired Magazine Article on SuperMemo

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 vtrader

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

Why is it we remember/learn some things straight away?

Let me pick a very simplistic example, why is it we don't need to learn the words like  hola, bonjour, we just know it straight away?

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

Let me pick a very simplistic example, why is it we don't need to learn the words like  hola, bonjour, we just know it straight away?

Maybe this example is too simplistic. Because: hola, como estas? (that's as far I get straight away) is rememorized with each and every conversation. Other words may vary each time.

However, speaking with a native Spanish speaker with only little English it usually takes me half an hour till many words start to come I've completely forgotten. And in my case the returning memory is more visual, the written word. With more difficulties in pronunciation to make myself understood.

So the simple answer to that question would be repetition.

#6 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

I think emotional context is more important

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

jroseland beat me to it. You need to get your emotions involved.  To memorize a reading material straight away, you must at least pretend that it is very interesting to you (It's best if it is interesting indeed). The proper attitude to a what you need to memorize should be sort of: wow! how interesting! no way! really?! wow! The stronger the emotion, the firmer memory is formed. 

• like x 1

#8 Thew

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:31 AM

When you read, try to understand the word/sentence first before going to the next one, in that way, you would remember word by word/sentence by sentence(it depends what you are reading), then try to understand it as a whole (like summarizing it). You can also visualize things you read. For me it's effective whenever I read something. I hope it helps to you. :)

#9 Thew

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:31 AM

When you read, try to understand the word/sentence first before going to the next one, in that way, you would remember word by word/sentence by sentence(it depends what you are reading), then try to understand it as a whole (like summarizing it). You can also visualize things you read. For me it's effective whenever I read something. I hope it helps to you. :)

#10 Thew

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

And one more thing, just keep reading it until you understand it.

Edited by Thew, 08 November 2014 - 08:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: memory, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users